How did you start running?

Options
Dear Weightloss pals,

I have tried many times to start running but just get discouraged. I want more than anything to be able to run a 5K whenever I want. I'm a beginner and just want to know, how did you start running? And how do you control your breathing??

I'd love to hear your advice! Thanks!
Kim

Replies

• thatjeffsmith
    thatjeffsmith Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    did the C25k program - and I literally went from couch (no running!) to doing 5k's a couple times a week. It works!
  • theoriginaljayne
    theoriginaljayne Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    C25K, definitely. I believe the name was changed to "Ease Into 5K," though. It costs a couple of dollars on iTunes.
  • jamiem1102
    jamiem1102 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    I started by using the ZombiesRun! App. It's awesome.
  • cowgirlashlee
    cowgirlashlee Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    A lot of people I know have had success with Couch to 5K, but it wasn't the program for me. I'd been a runner in the past (middle school and high school years) and just got lazy in college. I just set daily goals for myself now for my run and if I make it great, if not I push myself that much harder the next time. That's the only way it has worked for me, because the run then walk then run again method from C25K just put too much strain on my knees and I ended up spraining an ankle last fall trying it.
  • kita_254
    kita_254 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I am in my second week of Couch 2 5K and so far so good. I'm not a fan if running, but like you, I want to be able to do it. Might give it a try :-). It's only 3 days a week and if you don't feel comfortable moving to the next level you don't have to. Check it out. Hope this helps!
  • jmc0806
    jmc0806 Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    I decided about a month ago, on a night that I was bored, to go to the track and run and I've been addicted since. I didn't bother with the C25K or anything but the first day I could barely run 1/4 mile without stopping and yesterday I completed a 5K for fun after work in 30:46, so I guess it just clicked. I still suck at controlling my breathing though.
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    did the C25k program - and I literally went from couch (no running!) to doing 5k's a couple times a week. It works!

This. C25K is a program that has three runs each week. It alternates between walking and running until you are able to run 5k.
  • bushidowoman
    bushidowoman Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    I started the Couch to 5K program on April 23 (never ran in my life before then.) As of today, I can run a 5K in about 25 minutes.
    I breathe in rhythm with my steps, slow breaths in through my nose and out through my mouth. Unless I'm running with my husband...I have found I can now carry on a conversation with him while we are running.
    I think if I can run, anyone can! Good luck to you!
  • glin23
    glin23 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I went from the elliptical to the treadmill to running outdoors.
  • KateRunsColorado
    KateRunsColorado Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I think I'm one of the few who did not do the C25K...

I think I did something similar though without really realizing it. I used a treadmill and would run for a few minutes and then walk for a few minutes and repeat. Once I got more comfortable with that, I would run for longer.

No matter what your approach though, the key is to GO SLOW. You'll enjoy it a lot more, and be more likely to stick with it. I would run on the treadmill at 5.5 MPH - which is about an 11 minute mile I think. But don't feel bad if you go even slower than that...in fact don't care what people think! That's another obstacle you need to get over! Just do your best and get out there! You can do it!

I started running just barely over a year ago and love it now. I've since ran an 8K, a 10K, a 6 mile ascent run, a Half Marathon and a 25K. I'm now training for a 17.1 mile mountain run and a full marathon! Running is such a great sport because it's all about competition with yourself and proving to yourself that you can get better and accomplish new goals!

You can totally run a 5K!
  • DenyseMarieL
    DenyseMarieL Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    I was never much of a runner, and thought I would hate it. One day, I just decided to do it. And I love it! I ran for years, then quit for a while due to a knee injury. I started up again a year ago.

Do use the running programs. I started with the 10K for Pink and it was great. You run for a few min, and you walk for a bit, then alternate. Noone expects you to run full on right from the get go. Your breathing will regulate itself. The first few weeks are SO hard, because you think you will die....lol.

Get some decent runners, and run in something breatheable and comfortable. Make sure if it's hot out, you hydrate before and after.

You will know if running is your thing. The only way you will know for sure is to try it!
    Good luck!
  • atlchc8
    atlchc8 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Work on breathing for long distance running; you have to be able to control your breath or you're going to keep stopping. When you start to get tired, breathe in your nose and out your mouth really hard! This helps circulate oxygen throughout the body and re-energizes you. Most importantly, start off slow. If you can only run as fast as a slow walk do that and just keep running. For me not stopping while running was the biggest hurdle. I have to have music and concentrate and tell myself, keep going girl you got this! Once I ran a mile straight without stopping I felt like, I can do this!
  • Rosebudevol
    Rosebudevol Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I ran on the treadmill till i built up enough to feel like running out side. and man was that a change. but then I got the Zombie run app and it was WAY fun. now i use different apps to help better my 5k times.
  • action_figure
    action_figure Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    I did 5K training with the "Zombies, Run!" 5K training app. It was fun. I also have the game.
  • BSdevon
    BSdevon Posts: 77
    Options
    Friends -> Endomondo app (challenges, Personal Bests, Tracking cals) --> The London Olympics 2012. Usain Bolt etc.. Inspiring. Invested in a good pair of running trainers from Nike to New Balance.
  • running_free_1984
    running_free_1984 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I just went at a speed which was comfortable (even if very slow) and ran as far as i felt i could manage. Sure enough it just got further and further and faster and faster. A combination of that and a massive weight loss really helped.

Slow and steady with small increments in goals.
  • running_free_1984
    Options
    Breathing; all i can say is keep doing it...

An amazing runner once told me to breath as if from your stomach. That way you really get the air in efficiently. I was never good at the in through the nose out through the mouth thing so just do what feels comfortable.
  • kgalea
    kgalea Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I went from the elliptical to the treadmill to running outdoors.

^^^ This

I started to build up cardio endurance on the elliptical, then mixed in jogging/running on the treadmill. At the same time I would do step aerobics/strength classes at the Y. There was a lady there who was in her early 70's who said "If I can run a marathon, so can you" (I was in my mid 30's). Well, that sounded like a challenge to me. I began reading as much as I could about running, talking about running with friends of mine who ran and eventually signed up with Team In Training. I followed their training plan/ran with the group when I could + a friend of mine met with me weekly and gave me a plan he wanted me to follow for the week. I was very well prepared for the marathon and felt great through the entire thing - danced at the Team party afterward. This was in 2004. Since then I have run 5 half marathons and several other shorter races (5k, 4mi, 10k). I'm trying to get back into it to some extent, after not running much since I started working full time (outside the house) 4 years ago.

One of the best books I read was "Marathoning for Mortals" by John Bingham. It was a very easy read, with many fun stories from him and his co-author. He discussed breathing techniques, which I have adapted (basically 3 steps in, 2 steps out, though depending on my pace I sometimes do 4 in, 3 out - always an odd total of steps) and has worked pretty well for me.

Good luck with your efforts to become a runner!
  • running_free_1984
    Options
    Oh yeah, today when my breathing got all out of sync i sang along with my music a bit and it really helped... Weird.

you may not want to do that if you're at the gym or in the street though... I was on woodland trail so no one to hear that ^_^
  • Legs_McGee
    Legs_McGee Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    I just went out and ran until I couldn't breathe, and then walked a bit, and then ran until I couldn't breathe, and then walked .... and then eventually I didn't have to walk anymore.