How did you start running?

Options
13»

Replies

• Csuvetmed
    Csuvetmed Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I jumped in right away with half marathon training using Hal Higdon's plan. However, the main reason I'm commenting is to say, "stick with it!!" I tolerated running, but I didn't love it until I had run consistently for a year! Now I'm hopelessly hooked for life.
  • kilverstone
    kilverstone Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Someone once told me that I couldn't ever run a marathon and that motivated to not only sign up for one but start training and go for it! I have never looked back and running is as essential to breathing now. I love my runs, morning, noon, night all you need is a pair of shoes and you can run anywhere. I found a friend to sign up for a race with me, and together we started training and eventually ran a half and full marathon together. I would suggest following some type of training plan, a 5K training plan or one for a 10K, whatever your preferred distance. Read about the different types of exercise that will benefit your running form, it's important to help improve your running stride, conditioning and food intake. I read Runner's World blogs and the magazine and chat up fellow runners, once you start you'll never want to stop. Good luck!
  • HooleyHoops
    HooleyHoops Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    C25K for me as well....

...I certainly don't even consider myself a jogger at this point let alone a runner however:

3 weeks ago I hadnt done serious exercise in about 4 years, I am overweight for my height/build and according to the BMI index am obese (although I still maintain that BMI isnt the best method of declaring someone ok/overweight/obese etc).

Anyway I digress...so yes 3 weeks ago I started C25K. My first day I found event the first minutes run a struggle...and I mean a struggle. I pushed through though and got through the first day. Second day got easier and third was great.

I'm now on week 3 day 2 (did day 1 last night) where you run for 1.5 mins then 3 minutes at time with walking intervals in between. I'm pleased to say that I got through it although being the first day of a new week it was a struggle.

The main thing I take away though is that I've seen a dramatic increase in fitness in just those 2+ weeks and am really finding that I look forward to my runs.

C25K may not be relevant for some and I think alot of it comes down to age and your history in exercise. If like me you have never run before and only ever sporadically exercised then its a great way to get started.

Cheers
    Chris
  • Soccermavrick
    Soccermavrick Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Whether you go C25K or do it yourself set goals. I did it myself, now I did keep a tablet, to help see progress. I think week one was 1 mile, however, walking / running etc. tracking my distance and time. Week two to three 1.5 miles. Week four plus 2 miles. I would try to run three times a week, spaced out. And then I tried to get myself to a constant jog, and then run. (Remember though the only person you are competing with is yourself.) After I felt that I was doing 2 miles at a jogging pace I stepped it up to 2.5 and then 3 miles.

I am still not where I want to be, I find that every ten minutes or so I need to slow down to a brisk walk, but I then turn it back up. And I think that is a key, know yourself, but push yourself. A 5K is very do-able.
  • _namaste_
    _namaste_ Posts: 246
    Options
    I went through a very stressful time in life and a family member suggested running to "pound it out" and get some energy, emotion, etc. out so I gave it a shot... and loved it!

At first I would run 30 seconds, walk 1 or 2 min. Run again 20 seconds, walk 1 min. Then worked my way up from there!

Breathing I just do like in yoga - deep breath in, deep breath out and try to keep them the very same "count". Equal going in and out. I personally breathe in through nose, out through mouth when running.
  • queenbree13
    queenbree13 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I definitely would suggest the couch to 5k app. It's great. I actually never run. haha but I started this today (so, I'm not an expert by any means,) but I didn't give up. It goes by quickly when you listen to music, so I would suggest playing some tunes while following it! It's easy! I actually enjoyed my walk/run today.

ALSO: I used RunKeeper at the same time, so it was cool getting information about how I was doing!
  • amyccaldwell
    Options
    Being from Atlanta, I'm a big Jeff Galloway fan, and followed his training plans with run/walk/run intervals. There are a lot of running groups here with all kinds of paces, and for me the social piece is a big part in keeping me motivated...that helped me get started. I am a believer in run/walk intervals after I did a 10K faster with run/walk than I did running a 10K straight through. The way I'm wired, knowing I only have to run for x minutes before a walk break, really helps. I ended up going from beginner to a marathon in about a year using Galloway's plans and I'm starting training on a half right now, so his plans work as well. You'll find your stride...good luck!
  • HonuNui
    HonuNui Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    I live on the slopes of Mauna Kea. I started by walking mauka (uphill) and running down as long as my lungs would take me...at first that may have been 1/8 mile. The lungs and the "longs" got progressively better, and I can now easily do 4 miles, and am training for a 10k.

Still slowly....still agonizingly slowly uphill...but running the whole time.

Most important thing I discovered was the need for GOOD shoes. Bad shoes are torture, good ones make the run pleasureable.
  • lauriem1966
    lauriem1966 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I took a learn to run class. Turned out I was trying to run too fast. I learned to breathe thru my nose, oxygen hits the blood stream faster that way. I second the good shoes comment!