Weight Loss Surgery VS. Diet & Exercise...Thoughts?

Options

Replies

• ames105
    ames105 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I had a friend who had the weight loss surgery. She continued to eat, she would order large amounts of food when we went out, nothing healthy...pizza, fries, breadsticks. She complained that healthy foods caused her bathroom issues. She did lose weight, yes. But, she wasn't healthy and she started gaining it back as well.

Surgery only helps if you change your mindset as well. If you can change your mindset, you can do it through diet and exercise. Surgery is a big deal and should only be used in extreme cases.

You can do this and be healthy. Eat well. Exercise will help tone you up and lose sizes. Maybe you won't lose all 50lbs by your target date, but I bet you will look amazing regardless. Eating right and drinking lots of water will give you a healthy glow.

Good luck to you on your weight loss journey!
  • Mishinmite
    Mishinmite Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I had a friend who had the weight loss surgery. She continued to eat, she would order large amounts of food when we went out, nothing healthy...pizza, fries, breadsticks. She complained that healthy foods caused her bathroom issues. She did lose weight, yes. But, she wasn't healthy and she started gaining it back as well.

Surgery only helps if you change your mindset as well. If you can change your mindset, you can do it through diet and exercise. Surgery is a big deal and should only be used in extreme cases.

You can do this and be healthy. Eat well. Exercise will help tone you up and lose sizes. Maybe you won't lose all 50lbs by your target date, but I bet you will look amazing regardless. Eating right and drinking lots of water will give you a healthy glow.

Good luck to you on your weight loss journey!

Thank you. :D
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    50lbs to lose? That's it? Surgery shouldn't even be on the table as an option. It should a last resort for people who are in basically immediate danger of dying. You can lose any amount of weight with simple diet and exercise, but 50lbs is really nothing. There are people here who have lost over 300lbs without surgery.

Edit: woops, just noticed that you didn't seem to be actually considering it
  • megabyt23
    megabyt23 Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    1 - If you only have 50 lbs to lose and no obesity-related illness, no way a doctor would do a weight loss surgery.
    2- Even if you have weight loss surgery, you still have to change your diet and exercise.

This ^^

I've known people who have gotten gastric lap bands because of illnesses/treatments that caused them to gain way too much weight/body stress (unable to work out heavily enough to help), and they had to be at least 100 pounds overweight. Also, people who have these surgeries do have to change their diet drastically. As some of them have told me, it basically makes you surgically bulimic if you over eat. The good part about the bands is that they can be readjusted as you reach your goals.

I have seen some of the possible negative side effects of these surgeries. Because these surgeries can be extremely dangerous, I wouldn't suggest it for anyone out there just looking to lose weight. However, if you are informed and feel you need to go that route, I wouldn't judge you. It's up to the person and what they feel is right for them in the long term.

ETA: The consensus so far seems to be that you all assume people who have this surgery are "taking the easy way out" or "lazy." That seems awfully judgmental to me. You don't know their entire life story, and those surgeries are not a pleasant experience that makes you magically lose weight without doing anything.
  • Mishinmite
    Mishinmite Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Oh, no. I didn't mean that I was considering it. First of all, I don't have insurance and 2nd, it scared the crap out of me to watch the almost instant transformation. I was just curious how others felt about it and if I should be concerned for my family members.

I was never thinking about the surgery for myself. I don't even like going to the dentist, let alone having someone fiddle with my innards. :wink:
  • choijanro
    choijanro Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Diet & Exercise & Stop all the bad vices like drinking liquor,drugs & smoking cigarettes
  • goalss4nika
    goalss4nika Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    A friend of mine had the surgery and she did not change her eating habits. Her stomach bust open from OVEREATING and she was hospitalize for a while because of it. She is doing fine now, but she has gained all her weight back. In my opinion, hard work and extreme dedication. More like a lifestyle change will benefit you more.
  • cabaray
    cabaray Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    I have a lot to lose. A lot! I go back and forth considering the surgery. Yesterday I spent way to much time obsessing over the pros and cons. I have a cousin that had the surgery and has had great results with no complications. I have a friend that had the surgery and has had to have an additional 4 surgeries to correct problems and still is not right. I once again came to the conclusion that I can do this through diet and exercise. You really are rolling the dice with surgery and I'm not a lucky person. I don't want my kids to grow up without me because I didn't give diet and exercise another shot!
  • MzTanya77
    MzTanya77 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    1 - If you only have 50 lbs to lose and no obesity-related illness, no way a doctor would do a weight loss surgery.
    2- Even if you have weight loss surgery, you still have to change your diet and exercise.

Actually now they will approve lap band surgery at 50lbs overweight.
  • chelstakencharge
    chelstakencharge Posts: 1,021 Member
    Options
    I think most of the time weight loss surgery is a quick fix to a larger problem. Yes, they drop the weight but it doesn't fix the issues in their mind as to how they got that size to begin with. I have lost every pound and every ounce on my own. I gained knowledge in the process.
  • Basia_and4345
    Basia_and4345 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Over the last two years, two of my family members have undergone weight loss surgery. They both dropped over a hundred pounds the first year. It was somewhat frightening for me to watch them wither away seemingly by magic. I have 50lbs to lose and am hoping to do it in the next six months before my February wedding. I'm using the old WW points plan and trying to increase my physical activities. I was just curious to know what everyone's thoughts were about surgery vs. dieting.

The decision for surgery should rest between you and your PCP. Although it is my opinion that weight loss surgery should be a last resort and only if one's weight is life threatening. 50 lbs may feel like a lot, but I think if one is diligent a good portion of that weight, if not all of it, can be lost. Just be careful to do it in a healthy fashion so maintaining it will be easier. Be Well.
  • SherryL0419
    SherryL0419 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    In my opinion there are times when surgery may be necessary, such as if not losing the weight soon is going to put a person at greater risk than actually having the surgery will. However, I have seen both sides of people losing weight from the surgery. I have one friend who had the surgery two years ago and has worked her butt off in the gym since then and totally changed HOW she eats, not just the amount she eats....and she looks AMAZING & you can tell her whole mindset has changed!!! I know another person who had the surgery around the same time and basically all she has done is change the amount of food she eats. She lost weight and maybe she's healthier now and I'm not trying to be judgemental but she's just not toned at all and she actually looked better before. So as many others have been saying, it's what you put into it that you get out of it. I don't think it's a lazy way out IF you do it right...because if you do it right you have to put just as much work into it as the ones of us who aren't having surgery. I have seen this with my friend who has done it right.
  • RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    I've thought about this a great deal over the years, both uninformed and informed, and what I've decided is that it really is a case by case decision, and a personal one, as to whether a person should choose WLS.

It's not an easy route, which too many people seem to think it is. As I understand it, it can be every bit as hard as doing diet and exercise... because they do have to do diet and exercise as well... but there are also medical issues to take into consideration.

I have chosen to stick with diet and exercise because I have no health issues aside from my weight to contend with and, frankly, I prefer not to put myself in a medical setting unless necessary. Yes, it's a longer, much longer road but I'm okay with that. If I did have other serious health issues related to my weight, yes, I would have the surgery done.

If you're truly concerned about your family members, talk to them about it if you can, it's probably lack of information about the procedure and what can be expected and how they have to live that is frightening to you.
  • moxiecowgirl
    moxiecowgirl Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I had RNY bypass in January, and it's been a great tool for me.

Here's my issue, though: why does so much of public perception rest in the camp of either/or? If you're working the plan that goes with your surgery the way it was intended, you are implementing diet and exercise. You don't just walk in, lie down on a table, and wake up with a scary inability to hold weight that will, according to every horror story I've been told, suddenly and inexplicably reverse itself on day 366 post-op. I really hate that the myths and exceptions get held up as the rule.

The fact of the matter is, there is no one magic bullet. Some people feel they need a little extra help...ok, a lot of drastic extra help. I was one of those people. But I didn't get where I am without supplementing my tool with some really hard work, and neither will anyone else.

*edited to correct a typo :)
  • 1princesswarrior
    1princesswarrior Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    I'm glad you are not considering the surgery. I know people who have had it and kept the weight off but have had to have plastic surgery to remove excess skin and also have bathroom issues and vitamin deficiencies simply because their bodies can't absorb everything they need. I think it's okay for extreme medical conditions but again you have to address the reasons you gained weight to begin with (not you directly).

That really stinks about your family. My suggestion about support is to find some good friends on this site, feel free to add me. It really makes all the difference in the world to have people pulling for you, even if just over the internet. 50 pounds is going to be a lot of work but doable, and I think you'll find it the most rewarding thing you have ever done for yourself.
  • mhouston2011
    mhouston2011 Posts: 155
    Options
    All but two I know that have had weight loss surgery have gained it all or most of it back. Those I know like myself that used cleaner eating and fitness have lost still losing and kept it off. When you do the cheaters way you don't get the mental mind set you need to be a healthier person its a short cut without the training that is needed for being a fitter and healthier person.

The cheater's way?? Seriously?? No cheating is involved regardless of which route a person decides to take. Either way is very hard work to be successful. You don't miracously wake up from surgery and two weeks later at goal weight. It takes hard work and dedication on your part regardless of whether or not you decide to have surgery or not.
  • Mummsy
    Mummsy Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Every person I've known to get a weightloss surgery has been back to obese within 3 years but I know many people (including myself) that have lost weight and kept it off. I'm all about diet and exercise. It's less expensive and longer lasting (in general). It maybe harder work but I believe you appreciate the things you work for more.

I have 2 family members and a close friend that have had the surgery anywhere from 5 to 12 years ago. None of the 3 have gained back any of their weight. I also have many friends and co-workers that have repeatedly lost and regained 100's of pounds over the years, none of them having been able to maintain the loss for any amount of time. It 100% depends on the person.

^^ agree completely.
  • Mummsy
    Mummsy Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I had RNY bypass in January, and it's been a great tool for me.

Here's my issue, though: why does so much of public perception rest in the camp of either/or? If you're working the plan that goes with your surgery the way it was intended, you are implementing diet and exercise. You don't just walk in, lie down on a table, and wake up with a scary inability to hold weight that will, according to every horror story I've been told, suddenly and inexplicably reverse itself on day 366 post-op. I really hate that the myths and exceptions get held up as the rule.

The fact of the matter is, there is no one magic bullet. Some people feel they need a little extra help...ok, a lot of drastic extra help. I was one of those people. But I didn't get where I was without supplementing my tool with some really hard work, and neither will anyone else.

^^ AMEN! Glad you are doing well.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Both methods require the same thing...portion control and movement. If you need surgery to help you control your portions get it. If you can do it with a scale and measuring cup then take the non-surgical route.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    I think most of the time weight loss surgery is a quick fix to a larger problem. Yes, they drop the weight but it doesn't fix the issues in their mind as to how they got that size to begin with. I have lost every pound and every ounce on my own. I gained knowledge in the process.

And this if you dont do the mind work first it wont matter which method you try both can end in failure.