Butter vs. Margarine

Options

Replies

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,986 Member
    Options
    I understand, but why the limit on saturated fat.............obviously there must be studies that show deleterious effects on health when too much is consumed and therefore these recommendations are in place for that reason. I've never seen a study that shows that effect and it's why I'm asking.

Wow. Really? What research did you do? There's like a good 50 years of research including level 1 evidence that shows this.

A famous dietitian in Australia recently said that despite the strong evidence against saturated fat, we shouldn't be asking whether butter or margarine is better but rather trying to reduce our intake in general and opting for truly better choices such as avocado.
    Level 1.......ok, show us the studies that show causation, thanks. Also an avocado has more saturated fat than an equal amount of pork tenderloin. Does that mean I should replace avocado with pork tenderloin?

Plenty of studies suggest causation. None that I know of prove it. But show me studies that prove it is not a cause of disease.

If 100,000 people walk into a cave and 77% of them die. Later 50,000 walk in and 62% die. Over time, more people that walk in this cave die than do not. We know that walking into that cave doesn't cause death, because a lot of people that went in did not die. We may not know exactly why the people died, but that cave has an association with death. I'm not crossing walking in and hoping I'm in the minority that live.

Eating a diet high in saturated fat from dairy and beef (which includes butter) has an assiciation with disease and limited lifespan. I'm not eating a lot of it.
    lol.

Good comeback, man.
    Well really. You would have us believe that the saturated fat is the cave. You forgot the part where the people who go into the cave that have been studied consume the SAD diet for those comparisons. Those people also have a plethora of dysfunction like diabetes, abdominal obesity, IR, raised triglycerides or dyslipidemia, hypertension, chronic elevated levels of CRP, consume a high percentage of nutritionally challenged foods, trans fats, sugar and it goes on and on. This is the group that their getting their data from and have concluded that it's the saturated fat that causes disease in your cave......... blindly is an understatement.
  • captmiddy
    captmiddy Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I eat Brummel & Brown Yogurt spread. At 45 calories per serving versus 120 calories for butter it is part of helping me maintain my calorie numbers. And while cholesterol in food doesn't equate to it in you, fat does have an impact on cholesterol buildup and the lower fat in our spread helps to bring numbers down. All this being said, I do prefer butter on popcorn as well.

As to the whole plastic thing, please do some research people, margarine is not one molecule away from being plastic, this is a myth. You can find a lot of other myths out there as well about food that people seem to repeat with regularity. Not to mention margarine is a class of food not a single product, so while there may be some margarine out there somewhere that is 1 molecule away from plastic (also not a single product but a class of products), they aren't all the same.

All this being said, use what you prefer, if you use a good margarine/spread that isn't full of crap, then you will be fine, if you use butter in moderation you will be fine.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I understand, but why the limit on saturated fat.............obviously there must be studies that show deleterious effects on health when too much is consumed and therefore these recommendations are in place for that reason. I've never seen a study that shows that effect and it's why I'm asking.

Wow. Really? What research did you do? There's like a good 50 years of research including level 1 evidence that shows this.

A famous dietitian in Australia recently said that despite the strong evidence against saturated fat, we shouldn't be asking whether butter or margarine is better but rather trying to reduce our intake in general and opting for truly better choices such as avocado.
    Level 1.......ok, show us the studies that show causation, thanks. Also an avocado has more saturated fat than an equal amount of pork tenderloin. Does that mean I should replace avocado with pork tenderloin?

Plenty of studies suggest causation. None that I know of prove it. But show me studies that prove it is not a cause of disease.

If 100,000 people walk into a cave and 77% of them die. Later 50,000 walk in and 62% die. Over time, more people that walk in this cave die than do not. We know that walking into that cave doesn't cause death, because a lot of people that went in did not die. We may not know exactly why the people died, but that cave has an association with death. I'm not crossing walking in and hoping I'm in the minority that live.

Eating a diet high in saturated fat from dairy and beef (which includes butter) has an assiciation with disease and limited lifespan. I'm not eating a lot of it.
    lol.

Good comeback, man.
    Well really. You would have us believe that the saturated fat is the cave. You forgot the part where the people who go into the cave that have been studied consume the SAD diet for those comparisons. Those people also have a plethora of dysfunction like diabetes, abdominal obesity, IR, raised triglycerides or dyslipidemia, hypertension, chronic elevated levels of CRP, consume a high percentage of nutritionally challenged foods, trans fats, sugar and it goes on and on. This is the group that their getting their data from and have concluded that it's the saturated fat that causes disease in your cave......... blindly is an understatement.

No need for insults. Believe and eat what you want. And please don't take it as a personal affront that I believe the experts at Harvard over you. Their references and sources are well documented and you are just a stranger on the internet stating an opinion.
  • JerZRob
    JerZRob Posts: 68
    Options
    Why do people care so much about what I eat (or do not eat)?

They've ran out of other things to post.
  • RobTheGourmet
    RobTheGourmet Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Why do people care so much about what I eat (or do not eat)?

They've ran out of other things to post.

why post on a forum about something, and then be shocked to get a response to it?
  • thisdamselflies
    thisdamselflies Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    It kind of depends on what you mean by "better." Most butter has fewer chemicals, partially hydrogenated oils, etc. than margarine, so if you're trying to avoid those things, butter is "better." However, for people (like me!) who are allergic to dairy, margarine is better. :) Also, it depends on the brand you're buying. Some companies might load up their butters with all kinds of unnecessary stuff. I'd just read the labels.

Just out of curiosity, can you drink goat dairy? Goat butter might be a viable alternative for you.

I wish! But goat's milk is just as bad for me. Hives, trouble breathing, etc. I can consume very small amounts once in a while, but too much at once or too frequently triggers a reaction, and I can never predict how bad the reaction will be. Much as I'm not a fan of the processed nature of margarine and other dairy substitutes, I can't imagine cooking some meals without some of them, and I prefer them over immediate death via anaphylaxis. :smile:
  • thisdamselflies
    thisdamselflies Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    People still use margarine ? I havent used it in about 15 years. If you cant do dairy or something--just use a good quality extra virgin olive oil. If you need to cook something at high temperatures and you are worried about extra virgin breaking down due to the high heat--sub canola or peanut oil or even the light olive oil shouldnt break down as easily..
    and why not just use fresh extra virgin olive oil on toast which is much more flavorful if you do not want to use butter

What about for baking? I use olive oil and other oils for almost all of my cooking (I actually even eat dry toast, not buttered toast), but that's not possible with things like pie crusts, tarts, etc. The only other alternative to butter I can think of in some recipes is shortening, and the same arguments against margarine could be made against shortening. Those of us who can't/don't eat dairy for various reasons still like to eat dessert sometimes, and we're limited enough as it is (just try finding the non-dairy dessert on the menu of the next restaurant you visit...I guarantee it's either sorbet or it doesn't exist). :ohwell:
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    What about for baking? I use olive oil and other oils for almost all of my cooking (I actually even eat dry toast, not buttered toast), but that's not possible with things like pie crusts, tarts, etc. The only other alternative to butter I can think of in some recipes is shortening, and the same arguments against margarine could be made against shortening. Those of us who can't/don't eat dairy for various reasons still like to eat dessert sometimes, and we're limited enough as it is (just try finding the non-dairy dessert on the menu of the next restaurant you visit...I guarantee it's either sorbet or it doesn't exist).

Google "olive oil pie crust" and you'll find a bunch of recipes.
  • Brige2269
    Brige2269 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Butter is definetly the better choice if your looking to eat all natural, and want to stay away from chemicals. I use butter and leave it out on the counter in a butter dish that is covered, so it's always soft.
  • Birder150
    Birder150 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    Butter. :love:
  • sarajculwell
    Options
    Butter is easier for your body to process. Margarine has less calories, but if you think about the chemicals and preservatives in it, it's actually better to just watch your amount and go with the real thing. It tastes better too!
  • Kayden1986
    Kayden1986 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I use neither, but there is a Soya spread you can use instead that is about 560 calories per 100g instead of 900 calories of normal butter / marge etc
  • themelmac
    themelmac Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Great information love the olive oil suggestion! Never heard of ghee before but I might be checking that out also! Thanks for all the advice :smile:

Land O'Lakes makes a great spreadable butter with just 3 ingredients - it has just butter, salt, and oil in it to help it spread easier (you can pick olive oil or canola oil). You can get it in the refrigerated section in a tub.
  • Happymelz
    Happymelz Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    Thanks everybody! So now another question... The reason I don't like butter is because it is so hard to spread! What can I do to help with this? Leave it out for a bit before using it?

My butter dish stays on my counter. You don't actually have to keep it in the fridge. Mine doens't spoil before I use it all, and sometimes it will be out for almost 2 weeks if I don't get to cook a lot.
  • 748marie
    748marie Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I think as long as you are able to work off the butter than go for it! It is more natural and something processed! Less processing is always better!!! If you have an allergy to dairy then a good alternative to butter or margarine is Earth balance. IT is full of healthy oils and no trans fats, mg, or food coloring. I don't have an allergy but a close friend of mine does and she turned me on to this. I love it, so does my husband and children. It is pricey in its own way but hey, that's just a great motive to pace yourself! lol..
  • 748marie
    748marie Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    if you want to cook at high heat I love using coconut oil.. I use a tsp at a time. It is pricey, full of good fat.. but it is still fat! lol
  • rc2paris
    rc2paris Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    You can buy spreadable butter in a tub, just like margarine. It's a little more expensive, but worth it!
  • arlenem1974
    arlenem1974 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I head once that someone left a container of margarine outside and the flies wouldn't even go near it. How good can it be if even the flies won't even touch it.
  • arlenem1974
    arlenem1974 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Thanks everybody! So now another question... The reason I don't like butter is because it is so hard to spread! What can I do to help with this? Leave it out for a bit before using it?

My butter dish stays on my counter. You don't actually have to keep it in the fridge. Mine doens't spoil before I use it all, and sometimes it will be out for almost 2 weeks if I don't get to cook a lot.

same here
  • RivenV
    RivenV Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options

lol.

Good comeback, man.

No need for insults. Believe and eat what you want. And please don't take it as a personal affront that I believe the experts at Harvard over you. Their references and sources are well documented and you are just a stranger on the internet stating an opinion.
    a13.jpg