Planet Fitness?

Options

Replies

• TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Go. Ask questions - A LOT OF QUESTIONS. If they don't want to answer or hedge on things, then they're probably not worth bothering with, IMHO. Basically, find out if what they have/offer/exclude is right for you.
  • JerZRob
    JerZRob Posts: 68
    Options
    I wish I had one near me because I would join. I luve their Lug Alarm and they're dirt cheap.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    And for the people whining about the pizza and bagels...they OFFER it. It's not mandatory to consume it for membership. It's also at times I usually don't go so I always miss it anyway. But pizza and bagels aren't evil.

not whining about it... just pointing out it's shameful of a business in the "business of helping people be fit" supplying them with complete and utter junk food.

Our gym does Member appreciation day- guess what food they have- a local company- that does health wraps.

it's the principle of the thing.

:laugh: 'Health wraps' could have as many calories as a friggen slice of pizza!! LMAO!
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    I wish I had one near me because I would join. I luve their Lug Alarm and they're dirt cheap.

Why would you love the lunk alarm?

It's intimidation and exclusionary.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    And for the people whining about the pizza and bagels...they OFFER it. It's not mandatory to consume it for membership. It's also at times I usually don't go so I always miss it anyway. But pizza and bagels aren't evil.

not whining about it... just pointing out it's shameful of a business in the "business of helping people be fit" supplying them with complete and utter junk food.

Our gym does Member appreciation day- guess what food they have- a local company- that does health wraps.

I think it's more of a "people will always whine about something" thing. The few times I did see the pizza there no one ever got any of it. I think the employees end up taking it home honestly. And I've never seen the bagels. I don't think my club even does them?
  • JerZRob
    JerZRob Posts: 68
    Options

Cause it's funny as *kitten*.
  • boredlimodriver
    boredlimodriver Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    it's totally worth it for beginners. if you're looking into doing some serious lifting, this isn't the place to go. I was there for a few months, switched gyms to a better one. But it was great for me at the time.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

:laugh: 'Health wraps' could have as many calories as a friggen slice of pizza!! LMAO!

of course they could.... *could* but when you are serving out taster samples- that are are smaller than a munchkin (doughnut hole)- I'm pretty sure wrap > pizza.

Don't get me wrong- I eat pizza- and "junk" food on the rare occasion I'm feeling saucy- I just don't want to walk into my gym and see pizza there LOL.
  • RGv2
    Options

Sorry....sarcasm detector seems to be broke.

fallingfan.gif
  • KeithAngilly
    KeithAngilly Posts: 575 Member
    Options

I have never actually heard them turn it on. I don't miss meat heads yelling and chucking weights around, that's for sure.

To the OP, I have a black card, which is really handy where I live. They do lack pretty badly in the weight training dept..but that's not their niche'. It's mostly a no - frills gym chain that you can go and grab a workout without the usual gym "personalities", who are usually intimidating and exclusionary. :o)
  • RGv2
    Options

I have never actually heard them turn it on. I don't miss meat heads yelling and chucking weights around, that's for sure.

To the OP, I have a black card, which is really handy where I live. They do lack pretty badly in the weight training dept..but that's not their niche'. It's mostly a no - frills gym chain that you can go and grab a workout without the usual gym "personalities", who are usually intimidating and exclusionary. :o)

Isn't PF exclusionary though? Serious question.
  • brboydjr
    brboydjr Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    You can't beat $10 a month. I'm a black card member and bring guests often. Plus, my location has free weights, Squat racks and every thing else needed for powerlifting, unlike some locations, so it's a win win for me.
  • KeithAngilly
    KeithAngilly Posts: 575 Member
    Options

Isn't PF exclusionary though? Serious question.

Yes, I think in a very overt way...whereas Gold's and the like aren't exactly welcoming to beginners in a more subtle way. Not in all cases, of course. PF is just trying to create a space where beginners and less intense folks can workout. If someone is a "serious" workout fanatic, it just isn't a great place for them. I really think it just comes down to attitude and ego. People look down on PF, because it doesn't serve their needs and they don't understand why everyone can't be uber-serious lifters. My opinion is they offer a great product to people who would normally be too intimidated to go to a regular gym and they also offer a reasonable product for people who can't afford the more complete gym experience. Nothing wrong with that, imho.

And sorry about the "meat heads" comment...that was unnecessary. I apologize if anyone was offended.
  • RGv2
    Options

Yes, I think in a very overt way...whereas Gold's and the like aren't exactly welcoming to beginners in a more subtle way. Not in all cases, of course. PF is just trying to create a space where beginners and less intense folks can workout. If someone is a "serious" workout fanatic, it just isn't a great place for them. I really think it just comes down to attitude and ego. People look down on PF, because it doesn't serve their needs and they don't understand why everyone can't be uber-serious lifters. My opinion is they offer a great product to people who would normally be too intimidated to go to a regular gym and they also offer a reasonable product for people who can't afford the more complete gym experience. Nothing wrong with that, imho.

And sorry about the "meat heads" comment...that was unnecessary. I apologize if anyone was offended.

I just think that it's hilarious they claim to be a "judgement free zone" when that is exactly what they are doing with the "lunk" alarm.

They claim it is "slang" on their sign; claiming it is someone who grunts, drops weights, or judges (not sure how they measure that). [Ricky is slamming his weights, wearing a body building tank top (Oh Noos), and drinking out of a gallon water jug (again, oh noos)...what a lunk.

The actual definition of a Lunk:

A dull or stupid person; blockhead

Ya.....judgement free.
  • moxiecowgirl
    moxiecowgirl Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I think it accomplishes, as a franchise, exactly what its commercials portray: a welcoming, slightly quirky, non-judgmental atmosphere where someone not used to working out can "get their feet wet" with a minimum of intimidation.

Isn't the explanation of a "Lunk" that is posted in all PF's judgmental?

Just say'n.

Fair argument. But it's judgmental toward a clientele outside their target market. Just like traditional gyms often use images of a more typical beginner PF customer in their advertising. I'm not saying it's right, but it happens on both sides of the coin.
  • RGv2
    Options
    I think it accomplishes, as a franchise, exactly what its commercials portray: a welcoming, slightly quirky, non-judgmental atmosphere where someone not used to working out can "get their feet wet" with a minimum of intimidation.

Just say'n.

Fair argument. But it's judgmental toward a clientele outside their target market. Just like traditional gyms often use images of a more typical beginner PF customer in their advertising. I'm not saying it's right, but it happens on both sides of the coin.

But a PF is supposed to be a Judgment Free Zone.

The more typical beginner PF customer is a beginner no matter what facility.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options

Just say'n.

But a PF is supposed to be a Judgment Free Zone, that's my point.

I think they probably mean that there's no judgment against those people who are a bit out of shape, older, don't know what to do and are basically intimidated to even step FOOT into the gym because they're afraid that there are going to be people staring, pointing and laughing at them. I'm guessing their trying to convey the fact that they're a "friendly" gym and that you won't find people who are going to be intimidating.

(Truth be told my husband and I judge the people at our PF all the time)
  • moxiecowgirl
    moxiecowgirl Posts: 291 Member
    Options

*rolls eyes*

Yes. And if you don't participate they taunt you and throw it at you as you're trying to work out. If that doesn't work then they grab you, hold you down and force the pizza down your throat. Forget about trying to complain. Apparently it's corporate policy that you MUST eat the pizza that they offer as well as the bagels. Why I've been chased off of the premises many times by pizza throwing employees because I don't participate. I have the burns on my back to prove it. I haven't brought a suit because I'm too ashamed. I was also hospitalized and almost died from the bagel they shoved down my throat.

True story!!

:drinker: Oh wait...I'm promoting unhealthy habits, using this emoticon to encourage you to drink, huh? Might as well go for broke then: :smokin:
  • MzzFaith
    MzzFaith Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I love planet fitness. I didn't want to join now gym, my son and I both joined, it's quiet its judgements free airport have a great personality trainer its really left up 2 your, the more I push myself well goes 6 days a week
  • RGv2
    Options

I think they probably mean that there's no judgment against those people who are a bit out of shape, older, don't know what to do and are basically intimidated to even step FOOT into the gym because they're afraid that there are going to be people staring, pointing and laughing at them. I'm guessing their trying to convey the fact that they're a "friendly" gym and that you won't find people who are going to be intimidating.

(Truth be told my husband and I judge the people at our PF all the time)

So it's like basically 99% of all the other facilities.