Day 5 Without Diet Soda

Options
Feeling great! Coffee to help kick the day off then nothing but water the rest of the day.

Replies

• jennyrebekka
    jennyrebekka Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    congrats - - i need to do this too.....but i hate coffee and i love caffeine...... :(
  • kathleennf
    kathleennf Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    I have thought about it. I am not there yet.
  • mandles82
    mandles82 Posts: 31
    Options
    Great job!!!! Keep it up, you may find after not having it for a while you may not even like the taste of it anymore. Of course, I wouldn't try it for a couple of months to make sure your habit it kicked :D
  • erookjr
    erookjr Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    You can do it. I gave up diet soda's...Well I may have one like once or twice a month. But as long as I get my morning dose of coffee, I can survive the rest of the day! LOL sad, but hey I drink lots of water anyway! LOL

Great job!
  • rassha01
    rassha01 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Nice work!! I have gone from 1-2/day to1/week.

P.S. Don't mind the negative Nellies who are sure to follow and tell you that it is not bad for ya and that they can lose hundreds if not thousands of pounds while drinking it everyday!
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I just finished reading this article from today (it's the best breakdown on diet soda that I've seen in a long time!)

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/07/24/diet-soda-health-risks_n_3606906.html

Go you!
  • Onesnap
    Options
    I heard a great interview with Alton Brown where he explained how he lost the weight (50lbs of fat, and gained muscle). One of the biggest changes he made was to give up his two trigger foods. He figured out one was diet coke and one was milk. He has nothing against cooking and baking with milk or milk in general but he figured out if he drank a glass late at night it was making him binge on sweets and baked goods.

The diet Coke was doing the very same thing for him. It was making him always crave super sweet things and he was conditioned to always wanting things to be super sweet.

So giving up the two triggers, plus working out = *boom* 50lbs of fat gone.
  • Ann_Marie_2x_MORE
    Ann_Marie_2x_MORE Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I wasn't drinking any water, and was drinking about a 12 pack of cherry coke zero per day. I had ABSOLUTELY no energy, and couldn't even make it through a day w/out sleeping several times.

I reward myself w/ a cherry coke on Friday's if I've been good all week. :) And, I drink a TON of water. My caffeine comes from one cup of hot tea in the morning.
  • 10alliemarie
    10alliemarie Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to reduce and then eliminate artificial sweetener and limit my sugar intake. Good Luck!!! We ca do it!
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options
    tumblr_m8crcsEiGg1rdns3wo1_500.gif
  • libertygirlfla
    libertygirlfla Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Probably the healthiest thing you can possibly do for yourself! Congrats!
  • farmers_daughter
    farmers_daughter Posts: 1,632 Member
    Options
    I'm working on week #4 without soda, I have replaced it with 5 calorie lemonade (no sugar) but I've probably had 3 soda's in the 4 weeks, one of those times, soda was my only option.

Honestly I'm finding that having a can was my vice, so that's why lemonade has worked out. I have 1-3 of them a day. Sure beats 600 wasted calories!

Great job! It's a hard thing to do. Pat your self on the back big time.
  • SchroederNJ
    SchroederNJ Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Yeah, it's tough - I've been working on cutting back on both soda and coffee --- going pretty well
  • Onesnap
    Options
    I'm trying to reduce and then eliminate artificial sweetener and limit my sugar intake. Good Luck!!! We ca do it!

Sounds good! Oddly enough I read a lot about sugar today and artificial sweeteners. I have to avoid artificial sweeteners since they are a headache inducer for me (they show up in everything so I have to read labels really carefully).

One of the articles I read today was very good...in National Geographic:

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2013/07/130717-sugar-substitutes-nutrasweet-splenda-stevia-baking/
  • crimsontech
    crimsontech Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I quit diet soda a few years ago after reading some really bad stories about what it did to people. I ended up switching to regular soda. Obviously, that wasn't the best alternative, but given my heavy soda and caffeine addiction, that was the route I chose.

When I decided to kick caffeine and soda as a whole, I used a weaning method. I slowly tapered down my caffeine usage (by alternating caffeinated sodas with caffeine-free ones) until I finally quit entirely. My withdrawal lasted only a few hours instead of several days. (headache and VERY irritable!)

Now, I enjoy a soda as a budgeted treat, and I do NOT drink diet sodas. Everyone's experience is different, but for me, I found that after quitting aspartame, my random dizzy spells went away. After a few months, my lower back pain (localized pain near my tailbone that chiropractors couldn't fix) went away. I didn't know why it went away at the time, but last year I started drinking diet sodas again and the pain came back with a vengeance.

Big cheers for quitting! It's not easy giving up the flavored drinks, but you WILL learn to love and crave plain old water. And it's cheaper! :P
  • emyishardcore
    emyishardcore Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I've gone 5 years w/o any soda. Don't miss it all. :)
  • Onesnap
    Options
    Yeah, it's tough - I've been working on cutting back on both soda and coffee --- going pretty well

One cup of coffee per day has a lot of health benefits (it's the suggested amount). One cup turns out to be great diabetes prevention and contains plenty of antioxidants!
  • GTAFrank
    GTAFrank Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    Good for you! I can see where I might be able to reduce my intake of diet coke but no chance of eliminating it. That one can per day means too much to me.. lol Best of luck!
  • jigsawxyouth
    jigsawxyouth Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    the caffeine withdrawl is the worst (I stopped drinking regular soda)
    the migraines mid afternoon, ergh!
    But I was able to sidetrack it with some fresh brewed berry black tea, with a splash of lemon.
    Really nixed those headaches!