Replies

• kcdrake
    kcdrake Posts: 512
    Options
    BUMP!

I've been craving pumpkin ALL SUMMER!!
  • MrsVeg
    Options
    Bump...Mmm looking forward to the pumkin dip recipe:)
  • sandara
    sandara Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    This is a recipe I found last year and never got around to trying. But here it is if anyone wants to give it a go!

Pumpkin soup
    1 can 100% pure pumpkin
    3 cups LF chicken broth
    1 cup skim milk
    8- 12 packets splenda
    a dash of salt, pepper, and chili powder to taste

Just simmer all of this in a pot on low.
    There ya go! Pumpkin soup! It is so good to have this winter comfort food. It has that sweet and salty combination
  • pmjsmom
    pmjsmom Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    Omg, I just heard there is a canned pumpkin shortage!!! I am not sure if this is true, but I went to three local grocery stores this weekend to buy some for a pumpkin granola bar recipe I wanted to try out. No canned pumpkin to be found! The employees told me thy hadn't had it in months and mentioned the manufacturer was out of stock of it. Finding this odd- I did a google search and sure enough, the major canned pumpkin supplying state had too much rain resulting in poor crop & hence no canned pumpkin for me :( I substituted with purred sweet potato. Recipe mediocre, I need to try again because my bars didn't stick together as well as they should have. If I get it right, I will post the recipe. In the mean time... I heard canned pumpkin is for bid on eBay! Lol! I truly hope this is just Internet rumor- I can't imagine fall without pumpkin (and I have no idea how to work with fresh pumpkin!).

I have heard that you can substitute cooked butternut squash for the pumpkin in a recipe. I have never tried it, though.

Can't wait to try these recipes. Thanks!
  • ymamyma
    ymamyma Posts: 227
    Options
    Omg, I just heard there is a canned pumpkin shortage!!! I am not sure if this is true, but I went to three local grocery stores this weekend to buy some for a pumpkin granola bar recipe I wanted to try out. No canned pumpkin to be found! The employees told me thy hadn't had it in months and mentioned the manufacturer was out of stock of it. Finding this odd- I did a google search and sure enough, the major canned pumpkin supplying state had too much rain resulting in poor crop & hence no canned pumpkin for me :( I substituted with purred sweet potato. Recipe mediocre, I need to try again because my bars didn't stick together as well as they should have. If I get it right, I will post the recipe. In the mean time... I heard canned pumpkin is for bid on eBay! Lol! I truly hope this is just Internet rumor- I can't imagine fall without pumpkin (and I have no idea how to work with fresh pumpkin!).

This is very definitely true. I work in "The Pumpkin Capital" and for a major grocer's. Libby's, who is THE pumpkin factory had an issue with pumpkins molding in the fields due to too much rain. Most stores have been our of pumpkin for a year. In central Illinois, we were the only grocer to have canned pumpkin, and just ran out. On the upside, Libby's will be canning in the next two weeks, and you will start seeing pumpkin on the grocery shelves again. We have heard that there will still be a shortage this year, though. :(
  • ladymedic22
    ladymedic22 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Can not wait to try that pumpkin bread. I had 25 fresh pumpkins last year in the garden and frozen it in two cup measures (to equal a can of pumpkin). Gonna take some out of the freezer tonight.
  • purpleprose
    Options
    Bump - I have some great recipes that I'll share once I'm not falling asleep on the sofa.
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    I work in "The Pumpkin Capital of the World!" which includes an annual Pumpkin Fest. :) They make everything from pumpkin pancakes to pumpkin chili. I'll have to go through my recipes and see what can be adapted!! :)

I love the Pumpkin Festival!! We are neighbors! :bigsmile:

I have a great recipe for pumpkin pancakes and muffins. I posted in the oatmeal thread, but I add canned solid pumpkin to my oatmeal. YUM!!!
  • shellshalla
    shellshalla Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    bump
  • ComfortFoodAddict
    ComfortFoodAddict Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    OMG.... I have to go get some pumpkin. I just recently (Thanksgiving 2009) Tried pumpkin pie for the first time. I loved it. I am very curious to try some pumpkin recipes. Keep posting them... Esp the pumpkin bars. I have never had pumpkin bread. What is it comparable to?
  • Oranda
    Oranda Posts: 121
    Options
    mmm drool... Can't wait to try these
  • NoodlesMalone73
    Options
    1 box devil's food cake mix
    1 can pumpkin puree

Mix together, don't add anything else.
    Put into muffin pan.
    Bake for 20 minutes at 400 degrees. (I like to undercook mine)

From one of the Hungry Girl books. So good!
  • abbychelle07
    abbychelle07 Posts: 656 Member
    Options
    OMG, I just got a cookbook from the library. "Pumpkin: A Superfood For All 12 Months of the Year" by DeeDee Stovel

The recipes looked SOOOOOOOOO yummy and I got hungry even though I had no more calories for the day! :(

She has recipes for soups, salads, lasagna, potato salad, pasta, chili, polenta, cake, bread, etc. It sounds weird, but once you read the ingredients for each recipe it sounds awesome!
  • abbychelle07
    abbychelle07 Posts: 656 Member
    Options

Just cut a small pie pumpkin in half, scoop out seeds and stringy stuff, put it face down on an oiled pan and roast in the oven until you can pierce with a fork. Scoop out the pumpkin meat and there you go! Put in a food processor if you want it more like canned.
    Make sure it is a pumpkin grown for eating. The ones grown for jack-o-lanterns are not the variety you want.
  • Amandac6772
    Amandac6772 Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    bump
  • timbotina
    timbotina Posts: 1,130 Member
    Options
    Didn't get a chance to read all the recipies yet.....but just hoping pumpkin will be back in stock because of the pumkin crop being bad last year.....the store have not been selling ANY pumpkin......I am savoring my last 2 cans famil members have given me...If anyone finds pumkin (canned ) let us know where you find it....THANKS!!!
  • LESLIEJONES159
    LESLIEJONES159 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Pumpkin Bread Recipe

Ingredients:
    One 15-oz. can pure pumpkin
    1 1/4 cups whole-wheat flour
    1/4 cup all-purpose flour
    1/2 cup fat-free liquid egg substitute (like Original Egg Beaters)
    1/2 cup Splenda No Calorie Sweetener (granulated)
    1/4 cup brown sugar (not packed)
    1/4 cup Ocean Spray Craisins Original Sweetened Dried Cranberries (or regular raisins), chopped
    2 1/4 tsp. baking powder
    1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
    1 tsp. vanilla extract
    1/2 tsp. salt
    1/3 tsp. pumpkin pie spice

Directions:
    Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

In a large bowl, combine both types of flour, Splenda, brown sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, salt, and pumpkin pie spice (in other words, all dry ingredients except for the Craisins or raisins).

In a medium bowl, mix together pumpkin, egg substitute, and vanilla extract (all the wet ingredients). Add this mixture to the bowl with the dry ingredients, and stir until just blended.

Slowly sprinkle chopped Craisins or raisins into the batter, making sure they don't all stick together, and mix to distribute them.

Spoon batter into a large loaf pan (about 9" X 5") sprayed with nonstick spray. Bake for about 50 minutes, until the top of the loaf is firm to the touch. (Bread may be moist inside. This doesn't mean it's undercooked.) Allow to cool, and then cut into 8 slices. Enjoy!

MAKES 8 SERVINGS

Serving Size: 1 (thick!) slice
    Calories: 143
    Fat: 0.5g
    Sodium: 281mg
    Carbs: 31g
    Fiber: 4.5g
    Sugars: 9g
    Protein: 5g

POINTS® value 2*

HG Alternative! To make this bread into muffins, evenly distribute the batter among 8 cups of a muffin pan sprayed with nonstick spray. Cook for 35 minutes at 350 degrees, let cool, and enjoy!
  • pitapocket
    pitapocket Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    bump
  • sunnysashka
    Options
    bump
  • LESLIEJONES159
    LESLIEJONES159 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    (1 Muffin, or 3 minis - 181 calories, 3.5g fat, 37g carbs, 2g, fiber, 2g protein - 4 WW points)

This super-simple 2-ingredient recipe is a Weight Watchers Fave!

1 box yellow cake mix (I use reduced sugar)
    1 can solid pack pumpkin (15 oz.)

Directions:
    Mix the two ingredients together. Don't add anything else that may be mentioned on the box, such as eggs, oil, or water. The mixture will be very thick and you will be tempted to add in other things to make the batter smoother. DO NOT DO THIS AS IT WILL RUIN EVERYTHING! Place batter into muffin tins (or mini muffin tins) lined with paper, or sprayed with non-stick spray. Bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes. Makes 12 regular or 36 mini muffins.