Oatmeal for Breakfast

Options
Hi Guys!

I am looking to reduce my weight and develop strength as well. I have been monitoring my diet and staying under my calorie limit while spending a good amount of time in the gym. I usually play squash/racketball/tennis everyday.

I was suggested by someone to start having oatmeal for breakfast. I have never prepared oatmeal at home and there are so many options out there, I don't know what to choose from! Do you think oatmeal is a good choice for me?

For proteins, I usually take about 6 egg whites and 3 whole eggs every other day (omelette with green bell pepper, scallions and tomatoes), Whey, the occasional cottage cheese and Greek Yogurt. I try to keep my carbs around 150 grams, fat under 50 grams and protein about 150 grams.

Where does oatmeal fit in? Any easy to make oatmeal recipes from scratch that you would recommend for me, when I am looking to maximize proteins and minimize carbs and fat?

Replies

• SJVZEE
    SJVZEE Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I've just started eating oatmeal, as a way to get some extra calories in. I've never had it as an adult and didn't have fond memories of it from my childhood, so I tried it with trepidation lol. I was pleasantly surprised that it's not bad, once you add in things :) I just buy the old fashioned oats (cheapy store brand) and cook it with water. Then I add fresh fruit or raisins. I've also added flax seed to it, to make it a heartier meal.
  • JessiesGirls520
    Options
    I also get the cheapy store brand old fashioned oats and prepare it with water. I add frozen blueberries and almond butter or PB2 and some coconut sugar.
  • sudhama1447
    sudhama1447 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi dude...

yes oatmeal is a terrific idea for break fast !

the way I do is.....

take half cup of oats and about 1/4 cup of kishmis ( or raisins ) and soak them in milk for about 10-15 mins and then have it.

if u just eat oats and milk that is fine too.... but it might be too tasteless. so u can add any dry fruits and nuts u like to it. but keep the measurements good...... for half cup of oats add one cup of milk ( fat free homogenized organic milk if u can get it ).
  • MelissaL582
    MelissaL582 Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    Buy the old fashion quick oatmeal..cooks in about 5 minutes. I boil it in water, measure out a cup cooked- you can add honey, sugar, fruits (frozen or fresh), cinnamon, etc. I usually add 1/4 cup of milk, 2 tbsp of sugar or a tbsp of honey and a couple sprinkles of cinnamon.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal isn't a very good option for minimizing carbs. You get pretty solid carbs from the oatmeal, then generally more carbs to make it taste good. That said, I often eat it for breakfast. Can put cream and nuts for more fats/protein.
  • crose0056
    crose0056 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I use steel cut oats, almond milk, raisins, spenda, cinnamon and a dash of salt & vanilla. Takes time to cook up, but the best oatmeal I ever ate.
  • BevBasil
    BevBasil Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I use the steel cut oats and add some chia seeds, cinnamon and a bit of honey.
  • Viva_Karina
    Viva_Karina Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    wilford-brimley1.gif

d6674f1bf7e8ff4da023383a10683c29.gif
  • marieann82
    marieann82 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I am a huge steel cut oats fan-much more delicious than the rolled oats/old fashioned oats. Simmer it on the stove while you get ready in the morning and add in nuts, fruit, fruit spreads, chocolate chips-whatever strikes your fancy. My kids love it with cherries or raspberries and a 1/2 tablespoon of chocolate chips. I love apples, walnuts, a tiny bit of pure maple syrup, and cinnamon. This morning we had it with mango, vanilla, and cinnamon.

Pinterest has tons of overnight oat recipes which I heard are fluffy-a good change from the chewy.

Also, I LOVE baked oatmeal-blueberry and peach and raspberry and pistachio-it is almost as good as having cake for breakfast! YUM. It can be made the night before and thrown in the oven when getting ready in the morning.
  • moochachip
    moochachip Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I use 1/2 cup old-fashioned oatmeal, add water, a fruit (apples, banana, blueberries, etc), and either peanut butter or walnuts for protein.

I too hated oatmeal growing up, but it's delicious now that I know how to serve it.
  • be_patient
    be_patient Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    when i was little, i literally used to throuw up eating oatmeal.
    now i do 1/3 cup with enough water to surpass the level of oatmeal by 1cm, chuck it all in a massive bowl otherwise it overflows, 1 minute, mix, 1 minute, mix, 40 seconds, mix, add 100g of frozen berries. yumm
  • Alice_rio
    Alice_rio Posts: 17
    Options
    Oatmeal is great for digestion. Eat it with Peanut Butter and Jelly or you can even make an oatmeal creme brule if you have time to spare. Have fun!
  • SunOfMan
    SunOfMan Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I have it every day now. I add some cinnamon, raisins, banana and honey. Such a good breakfast!
  • amandaxob
    amandaxob Posts: 13
    Options
    You can make a million variations of overnight oats! Make them the night before, then just grab in the morning! Sometimes I add oats to my smoothies too. :)

How I make my basic ONO. 1/2 cup of almond milk, 1/2 cup of oats. Set in a jar overnight.. the next morning, I either add fruit, or peanut butter, cinnamon.. whatever I decide to eat with it that day! You can put the oats in the microwave for a little bit to remove the chill if you'd like. Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't.
  • alastria
    alastria Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Why do so many people eat oatmeal with water....? Like what...? This really boggles my mind.
  • capster
    capster Posts: 5
    Options
    Do you have a Trader Joes in your area by any chance?

They sell this incredible frozen pre-cooked Steel Cut oatmeal with a hint of brown sugar. Cooking steel cut oats can be a huge pain in the a double s if you're cooking it from scratch...takes a while to cook. 1 box of the frozen pre cooked from TJs is under 2 bucks and comes with 2 packs/servings/bowl fulls. It comes frozen so all you have to do is throw it in the microwave. It tastes awesome and fills you up. Steel cut oats is definitely the way to go either way....it's especially more satisfying, at least to me, than plain old oatmeal...it has a crunchy sort of texture. I usually throw a scoop of strawberry protein powder in it for added flavor/protein.
  • Synapze
    Synapze Posts: 499
    Options
    I grind down my oats into a powder, mix that with Protein Powder for flavour and water into a 700ml shaker.
  • pluckabee
    pluckabee Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Why would you swap your high protein breakfast for icky oatmeal?
  • andiebaco
    andiebaco Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    bump for later!
  • Kentuckygirl61
    Kentuckygirl61 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    My doctor told me "Steel Oats " are the only ones I ought to consider when thinking of oatmeal. However, for right now, as I just begun, again she wants me to not do the oats but add them in later after I am established. That is the recommendations for my body. I used to eat instant oatmeal every morning before work and as I look back I was able to maintain my weight for many years, and I wasn't hungry eve if someone was cooking in the store I worked.