Night eating out of control!!!!! Thoughts

Options

Replies

• Glynneybug
    Glynneybug Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I am a perfect eater all day long but after 9pm, its as if another person takes over my thoughts and all I want to do as eat bad food....

Anyone else like this and if so, how do you stop?
    I have this problem too. What has helped me is to have a list of better choices. So for example, I LOVE Oreos- I mean eat a WHOLE damn box at once love. BUT I haven't had an Oreo in over a month now. So when I'm craving something sweet, I make a healthier snack choice. Right now I am loving 1/2 cup of greek vanilla yogurt, 1/2 cup of granola with fruit and a sliced up bananna. For a sugar addict like me- I would have thought "yea, right! I bannana and some other crap an oreo does not make!" but it really helps and as you eat better- you will find that stuff that isn't so sweet becomes SUPER sweet.

So that's what I do, just try to have healthier alternatives. I also do this- if I REALLY want to eat something bad, I will make myself burn those calories taken in. Half the time, I'd rather not exercise more and not eat. And the times I do, I don't feel bad about it- cause I have already "evened the score." Hope this helps!
  • rinafil
    rinafil Posts: 23
    Options
    I used to have this problem. Two recommendations:

1. Eat smaller, regular meals throughout the day. I find if I eat a large dinner at 5 or 6, I'm starving by 9 because of how the large meal affected my blood sugar.

2. Find a satisfying evening snack that fits into your calorie quota and stick to it. I go for Skinny Cow Ice Cream Sandwiches (150 cals) and a serving of hard pretzels (120 cals) - 270 calories total.

Those are good ideas. Thanks for sharing!
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    I plan a specific snack and save the calories for it, for later in the evening. Then when i get the urge to snack, I already know what I'm going to eat, and I already know it will fit my goals.

It works for me.
  • browncurlz3
    Options
    Don't keep snack-y foods in your home. That's my trick. And it shouldn't be a problem to do that, even if you have other people in the home that you buy food for. Think of their health as well.
  • peanutbutterrunna
    Options
    I am the SAME way!! I've been taking bananas, slicing them into pieces, and covering them in banana crème greek yogurt then freezing them. SOOOOOOOOO good!!!!!! It is my little treat at the end of each day that is not bad for me!!!:)

You should also try putting your frozen bananas in a food processor and blending them until smooth. If you add some peanut butter and/or cinnamon you have "ice cream" haha
  • onwarddownward
    onwarddownward Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    I go to bed earlier and I take a huge glass of ice water. I allow myself a snack if I get starving, but I try to have it before 8pm. Then I just try to sleep. I don't go into the kitchen for any reason.
  • kittycatmeowmeow
    kittycatmeowmeow Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I have managed to make it a habit to switch my snacking to cups of tea after dinner - 28 calories for two and they keep your hands busy and your tummy satisfied.
  • cheryl3660
    cheryl3660 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I plan a specific snack and save the calories for it, for later in the evening. Then when i get the urge to snack, I already know what I'm going to eat, and I already know it will fit my goals.

It works for me.

This works for me, too. I have found the best thing is to make sure I plan for it in advance and then that way I know I have a snack coming and I can balance myself out. Also, make sure you have only snacks around that fit into your specific diet plan so that if you do overindulge at least it is with good, healthy snacks.

Going to bed earlier helps, too. Some nights I take myself "to bed" without snacks because once I'm in bed and comfy, even if I am staying up 2 hours later to watch a movie or read a book, I tend to not want to get out of bed to get snacks even if I have horrible munchies.

Keeping busy also works for me - if I am do a lot of cleaning, for example, by the time I get done I am too tired to do anything but go to bed.

Good luck and just realize it is an ongoing battle and you need to take it one day at a time.
  • sharleengc
    sharleengc Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    I go through phases when I'm a night eater and get snacky. When I'm in those phases, I just cut calories from somewhere else or workout more and when I plan my day, I would plan a late night snack in.
  • jleach
    jleach Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I used to have that problem too. It's gotten better though. I try to eat my last meal of the day, usually a huge salad at around 7 or 7:30. I usually have a couple of cups of tea in the evening too and hot liquids seem to help. I put splenda in my tea so it's a bit sweet or if I really want something sweet I always keep Werther's sugar free hard candy around. 5 peices are only 40 calories and that does the trick. I haven't needed them for a while though, I think my night eating habit has been broken.
  • Couchley
    Couchley Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Find a really good tasting protien shake with low sugar/carbs for night. I love Unjury chocolate splendor and mix it with almond milk. This has 21g of protien and really leaves you satisfied, and is so sweet and good! I started drinking one at breakfast and one at night and it really helps with appetite. The more carbs you eat the more you want!
  • janiner79
    janiner79 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Don't eat fruit or carbs before bed!!!

Have a big glass of water, and a tablespoon of natural peanut butter and go to bed. Everyone gets hungry around that time... It is what it is. You have to be stronger than your cravings
  • Shelley6591
    Shelley6591 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    That's a HUGE weakness for me, I just can't anymore, I either have smart pop popcorn or a bag of Popchips but rarely anything, if I start I can't stop :( I seriously make my husband eat in another room, he can't eat around me at night, true story....
  • janicelo1971
    janicelo1971 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    I don't keep salty or sugar snacks in the house any longer.... amazing how you really aren't hungry when you look in the kitchen and its basically veggies and protein....I do at times have some peanut butter if I have some extra calories available..
  • Arodri03
    Arodri03 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    any tips on eating healthy when your boyfriend loves eating burgers/steaks and fast food? Or how about when you work at an office and are always around donuts and junk food? I am the only one trying to eat healthy there lol
  • sbrownallison
    sbrownallison Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Some really good ideas here. For me, it is vital to control my environment: no cookies or other snack-y crap in the house. If I crave a dessert, I'll have a Dreyers Outshine fruit bar or I'll mix unsweetened cocoa powder with a carton of sugar-free/fat-free vanilla yogurt. Those are choices that won't get me in too much trouble!
  • HeadsPoppingOutOfCups
    Options
    I always was a night eater as well but lately I don't seem to be having that issue. I get home and have my dinner at about 5 then relax until about 6:30 when I go to the gym. By the time I get home it's almost 8 and I usually am asleep by 11. I think the exercise curbs my appetite until I go to sleep which is a good thing. I used to sometimes wake up at 3 am and binge on candy/snack cakes etc. I didn't think of that when I started going to the gym later but it seems to be working.
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    Try bigger meals earlier.

I have found ht Sunday night can be tough, an I can compensate with caffeine,
  • angiep098
    angiep098 Posts: 33
    Options
    I used to be downright addicted to binging at night but I've finally learned to get in under control. This is what helped me:

1) Eat small meals every 2-3 hours. I never noticed how sensitive my blood sugar is until I tried this
    2) Make sure you're eating enough calories! The cravings at night happened when I was on 1200kcal a day; they reduced greatly when I upped it to 1400kcal and I'm losing even faster now.
    3) Try exercising later in the evening/before bed. It definitely curbs my appetite
    4) Drink lots of water + tea
    5) Ask yourself: are you hungry enough to eat ANYTHING? Fruit, a steak dinner, eggs + potatoes? If yes, then eat! If you want a specific type of food (something salty, carbs, sweets, something creamy, etc.) then drink some tea and let the craving pass. A lot of it is a mental addiction/habit in your head.
    6) I've cut diet drinks out of my daily intake, but I'll sip a bit of Diet Coke at night if I need a little more help with a craving

Hope this helps. Self-sabotaging all your hard work during the day by eating too much at night sucks!
  • mkbledsoe
    mkbledsoe Posts: 132
    Options
    I try to save calories for the evening. Like you, I have more control during the day, so I eat smaller low calorie meals, so I can eat a more in the evening.