Homemade frappucino with a protein twist

Options
Adirafox
Adirafox Posts: 107 Member
Over the summer I have become a fan of the refrigerated iced flavored coffees, like Diamond's Almond Milk Iced Coffee (Mocha!!) and Silk Soy Latte (Mocha again!!). I have found that if I take my coffee (1 cup) and ice (enough to fill my pint glass) and blend it, it makes a lovely frappucino. Add a scoop of your favorite protein powder, and you have just made a yummy high protein coffee drink for a fraction of the cost of Starbucks!

The other thing I like about these is that the ingredients are relatively healthy.

Replies

• Keiras_Mom
    Keiras_Mom Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    I'm in LOVE with Click Espresso protein powder. It's amazing! I blend with a little ice and it tastes just like a Starbucks Mocha Frap. with only 120 calories and 15 grams of protein.
  • Adirafox
    Options
    I wish it were possible to get sample sizes of any protein powder you want to try!
  • heywithers
    heywithers Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Sounds delish but those iced coffee's in a carton have so many cals and sugar! I feel too guilty drinking them
  • Adirafox
    Options
    The ones I have been getting have only 100 calories in a 1 cup serving. If I blend it with ice, it's the same size as a grande from Starbucks, and their light mocha frappucino has 130 calories and probably has yucky stuff in it. Yes, these have sugar, but it is actual sugar and not HFCS or artificial sweetener.

I recently stopped drinking Coke Zero, and I don't drink regular soda, so one a day doesn't seem too bad to me.
  • summer8it
    summer8it Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I love making protein frappucinos! If I make a large pot of coffee, I'll freeze the leftover coffee in ice cube trays and use the coffee cubes. Otherwise, I'll make a shot or two of espresso and blend that with almond milk, ice, and chocolate protein powder. It's an awesome afternoon pick-me-up.
  • LBNOakland
    LBNOakland Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I love making protein frappucinos! If I make a large pot of coffee, I'll freeze the leftover coffee in ice cube trays and use the coffee cubes. Otherwise, I'll make a shot or two of espresso and blend that with almond milk, ice, and chocolate protein powder. It's an awesome afternoon pick-me-up.

coffee cubes!! Why haven't i thought of that!??!! Thanks!! :drinker:
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    I make something similar.

Frozen banana

Protein powder

Almond milk

Instant coffee

If I am feeling wild I will put mint in it or caramel sauce.
  • rlmadrid
    rlmadrid Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I wish it were possible to get sample sizes of any protein powder you want to try!

Ask at your local supplement store. I have seen several in many different parts of Ontario as well as in St. John's that either make protein shakes with fro-yo for around $4 or are willing to toss a scoop of protein into a baggy for you to taste. They are also typically very understanding when it comes to intolerances. I have been told many times to "give it a week or so" and if the lactose or gluten in a new flavour bother me I can bring it back.

In terms of being unsure flavour-wise, I find they all taste like protein powder until you get into the 400+ cals a scoop muscle builders. As a 152 lb female, no thank you! So what I do I buy the AllMax Isonatural or Isoflex and add dark chocolate almond milk, and banana for potassium. The concoction sits at about 340 cals and if you add a bunch of ice and spinach to the blender you can add mass (and fibre) to the masterpiece without adding substantial calories or changing the flavour. I'm not one for drinking them alone but I like to add the 25g of protein to my day in a way that feel like a treat. Maybe that would work better if you're like me and can't handle the dried milk powder taste.
  • Adirafox
    Options
    I bet my HEB would do that for me. They're pretty awesome.

I've also heard that the egg white protein is pretty good, too.....I remember someone talking about a liquid form with a pump top.
  • poundis
    poundis Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    bump
  • char316
    char316 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the ideas, everyone. I will be trying the iced coffee cubes to make a protein drink.
  • Keiras_Mom
    Keiras_Mom Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    Vitamin Shoppe has many of their powders available in single serving packets too. That's how I tried the Click, and loved it so much I bought the tubs in all 3 flavors.

I wish ALL powders would come in sample sizes.
  • emyishardcore
    emyishardcore Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    :D
  • heywithers
    heywithers Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I'm curious- does putting hot instant coffee (i'm talking 14 dollar mr. coffee maker cheap) in a smoothie taste pretty good? I read online that pouring instant coffee over ice is NOT the correct way to make iced coffee.
  • Adirafox
    Options
    If you want to use coffee for iced purposes, make your coffee super strong, then at least let it cool to room temp before putting it over ice.
  • Darryl4126
    Darryl4126 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I take the coffee we do not drink and put it in the real small ice trays and freeze . Pop some out blend with water and vanilla protein powder taste awesome .. Also no wasted coffee
  • sarahkatara
    sarahkatara Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    Coffee :love: High-protein creations :love:

(my version of bumping)
  • Gr8ChangesAhead
    Gr8ChangesAhead Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    That is what I have been having in the morning
  • chelseascounter
    chelseascounter Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    I'm going to try some of these. :tongue:
  • EmilyRanae22
    EmilyRanae22 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    I really need to purchase some protein powder!