MEAT - good or bad?

Options
12346»

Replies

• fuzzieme
    fuzzieme Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Ok, I'm not really asking if meat is good or bad for you, I just needed a catchy title. I am really hoping to have an intelligent conversation here.

I've noticed that the "studies" that are done that prove that eating meat (or eating too much meat) causes health problems all seem to use conventionally raised & processed meats that are filled with antibiotics & hormones and raised in pens...etc. What I really want to know is, have any decent studies been done showing the health effects (negative OR positive) of eating meat that has been raised and processed responsibly (in a field, eating mostly grass) without antibiotics & hormones? I'll be honest, I'm too lazy to read an actual study, but would like to see any summaries...etc.

After hundreds of hours of researching food/nutrition I've recently started transitioning to a whole foods, plant based diet as a way to stack the odds in my favor for good health and cancer prevention (every single woman in my family for several generations has had cancer, as well as several of the men). There's lots of books, lectures, articles and documentaries out there for more info-take the time and do some research, and then make up your own mind about what you're eating :)

I second this :) I did this 3.5 years ago, and found the plant based diet has served me well.

Not a single antibiotic - when I made the switch I actually had some kind of serious respiratory infection that I can't remember what it was, I thought I had a sore throat, which was very common for me, but it turned out to be tonsillitis, which HAD been very common but I'd had them out so I didn't give it a thought. Turned out the doctors missed a bit.

Anyway, because I'd had the infection for a few weeks without going to the doctor, (as I said, my throat always hurt so I thought nothing of it, I was used to it), it was turning into something else. I can't remember what they said it was. Something serious because the doc got me in for injections a few times. But that was the last time I was sick or needed medicine. I had made the decision before I got sick and by the time I was better I had stopped eating dairy etc and for the first time in my life, I didn't have a sore throat, and haven't had one since.

Not even after screaming my lungs out at rock and metal concerts.

Though I have got tinnitus now, heh heh
  • mommabenefield
    mommabenefield Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Now we all know this thread would not be complete without a certain someones appearance :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

tumblr_mngeolJVtA1soni85o1_500.gif
  • SnicciFit
    SnicciFit Posts: 967 Member
    Options
    So the two arguments I see on here for eating meat are:
    1. it taste good
    2. as omnivores, we can eat meat

I could say the same thing about cake.

To the original poster, what do you hope to accomplish here? There are the veggies that are going to say eating meat is bad, and refer to their sources, then there are the meat eaters who will say eating meat is good and refer to their sources. If you really want to find out whether or not you should eat meat, why not check out both sides? Eat two different diets, each for a month, see which one makes you feel better.

I agree with both 1 & 2. What I was trying to do was see if any of the "proof" that eating meat is bad is NOT derived from studies that only include meat from animals raised & processed conventionally. I'm pretty sure not. Which just shows that it's not necessarily the meat, but the processing (what it's fed, how it lives, what it's injected with...etc) that causes ill health. Well, that and the way the studies are conducted.
  • lawmaria
    lawmaria Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    mmmm love meat! good!
  • CookNLift
    CookNLift Posts: 3,660 Member
    Options
    meat good.

i love pounding the thickest meat I can find and grilling it nice and juicy.

tumblr_mp15cdaYDG1r67id1o1_500.gif

**that's what she said! lolol
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    uh has no one on this board read or heard of the China Study? ...

Hahahaha, yes, that was a funny joke!
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    The gorilla is an herbivore, But we share more genes with the chimpanzee than with the gorilla, and the chimp is an omnivore. As pointed out, our teeth and our gut both say omnivore.

Check out the hunting scenes in ice-age cave paintings ... Those aren't carrots they're hunting, :)

The main difference we have evolved toward though, I would suggest, is reason and choice. We can eat meat, but we dont need to.

edit:spelling
    Albert Einstein did say that the human species would benefit from evolving into a more vegetarian diet.

Albert Einstein also had a huge problem with quantum theory.
  • SJVZEE
    SJVZEE Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    1. it taste good

To the original poster, what do you hope to accomplish here? There are the veggies that are going to say eating meat is bad, and refer to their sources, then there are the meat eaters who will say eating meat is good and refer to their sources. If you really want to find out whether or not you should eat meat, why not check out both sides? Eat two different diets, each for a month, see which one makes you feel better.

I agree with both 1 & 2. What I was trying to do was see if any of the "proof" that eating meat is bad is NOT derived from studies that only include meat from animals raised & processed conventionally. I'm pretty sure not. Which just shows that it's not necessarily the meat, but the processing (what it's fed, how it lives, what it's injected with...etc) that causes ill health. Well, that and the way the studies are conducted.

Have you seen the documentary Food Inc and/or read the book, The Omnivore's Dilemma? That would be a good place to start, for more info on the difference in conventionally produced meal vs local, farm raised meat.
  • CookNLift
    CookNLift Posts: 3,660 Member
    Options
    1. it taste good

Have you seen the documentary Food Inc and/or read the book, The Omnivore's Dilemma? That would be a good place to start, for more info on the difference in conventionally produced meal vs local, farm raised meat.

Great documentary / film