sweetners in vitamins, MSG, soy, fat etc are killing us all

Options
CoderGal
CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
Basically this extends from a rant I put on my moms friends fb wall after she posted a link about the "dangerous children vitamins containing sweetners causes cancers". I figured it may be beneficial for some of you to hear.

Have you ever heard something bad about a food and try reading down through any of the linked studies in the article if they didn't bring it out of thin air? Many of these alarmists who like to promote fear mongering don't do it very well. Half of those studies aren't real studies, and the rest don't really prove what they say they prove.

For example, if you replace your diet completely with only artificial sweeteners then yes, something bad is going to happen. You're not getting the rest of the things you need. Something I enjoyed from a friend of mine: " I love the commonly quoted aspartame study where it messed up rats. But per body weight to get the same from Coke Zero I would have to drink 1800 cans a day, I think it was. Sure, I would certainly die, but from the water, not the Aspartame." You would also run into problems if you replaced your diet with broccoli, you're still missing and overdosing on many needed things. Lucky for us our organs try to be an amazing help with this so we don't need to be so smart.

I wish instead of jumping on the fear bandwagon the media would educate people on the importance of a balanced diet and a healthy mind instead. Many people lived long happy lives and have enjoyed cookies too. Orthorexia (obsession with 'good' food) is just as unsafe as to much of one food when you spend your day under eating and stressing out over if you should put something in your body. Food is fuel, and you shouldn't deprive yourself or gorge yourself with it. You can still end up polluting yourself with one thing and avoiding things you need with all fresh unchemically treated food. I'll also add that many people are ignorant over the food the think is clean when it's not as clean as they think, whatever every unique individual defines clean as.

Avoiding certain things isn't the answer. For example, I can't tell you how many times people have told me my occasional deep fried fish is killing me, but is it in specific cases? I hate fish. But I'll eat it deep fried. And most of the iron in my diet comes from deep fried fish. People can obsess over what's 'clean' and tell me to cut out deep fried fish because they think I'll get some kind of unproven cancer or they'll direct me to some far fetched study that doesn't prove squat when everything is taken into account, but essentially they're blindly telling me to cut out an essential nutrient. Don't even get me started on how the twinkie diet guy's health increased with weight loss. But how long would that have lasted if he didn't get vitamins? Same goes for people telling someone who is craving chocolate because they're lacking magnesium to cut chocolate out of their life (for those interested in finding topics potassium magnesium balance is pretty interesting). Is it better to give kids nutrients, even though it contains sugar, or should everyone who reads that article cut off their kids from vitamins like I know some are doing (gluck trying to get them to take adult pills or relying on the parents to feed them a balanced diet). In this case fear could end up with someone malnourished. How many stories have I heard where grown adults blame their parents for their unhealthy habits for not feeding them healthy enough food OR depriving them of food which they want and makes them mentally happy. Educating and reminding someone can be a good thing, but sometimes we need to educate people and let them make their own educated choices. I can't imagine how many people are depriving themselves and others from food because someone thinks it is bad when they could benefit from it physically or mentally.

When it boils down to it, just try to get a balanced diet. Nutrient rich foods, vitamins are great sugar or not you need, fats are important to help absorb them (otherwise it's kind of useless, don't be afraid of fat, you need fat to absorb many nutrients since they're fat soluble), and adequate protein to promote lean body mass etc. Many instil fear in other necessities of life, including sugar, which the brain needs to live. If you don't know what's to low or to high start educating yourself. It's a tricky scale that many do not have figured out and can help prevent so many health problems from having nice skin to nice hair and nails etc. I hate the fat is killing us and making us fat, sugar is killing us and making us fat...fat on our belly is killing us and making us fat...everything except what actually makes someone sick and fat gets blamed for the ills of the world these day. Eat healthy, in adequate amounts (calorie surplus to gain, deficit to lose), and have a healthy lifestyle. Both cardio and resistance training is great for your body. Feel good. You'll find many people can cure health problems taking those simple steps, I've seen it happen with diabetes, I've seen it happen with thyroid problems, even while eating fat and sugar and chemicals along the way *Gasp*. That's why we were blessed with organs, created to deal with detoxifying our bodies and keeping them regulated. No crazy unneeded detox + clean diet needed!

Back to the topic of balance. If you're getting low on something and you're eating a lot of it, you may consider a different option then just eating more of the thing you are deficient in when already eating it in excess. For example, a lot of people have calcium absorption problems and do not realize that some sources are easier to absorb then others (like milk>fortified calcium beverages). Or the problem is because you're not getting enough vitamin D. And if you're vitamin D deficient and taking massive quantities of D it may be beneficial to get more sun without showering right away (Vitamin D can form as a powder on your skin, if you wash it of, you cannot absorb it), or eating more fat (since Vitamin D is fat soluble). There's a big balance. At the same time don't think to hard about it :P Just keep it in mind when you run into problems.

Overdose in something, expect to get ill. Deprive yourself of the essentials, expect to get ill. Stop moving, don't be surprised if you felt better having an active lifestyle. Chemicals? Everything is made of chemicals. Our food is mutated and does not represent the same foods they were years ago. And most of the chemicals that have been proven bad (such as fat, aspartame, sweetners, MSG, soy etc) are because people have them in excessive quantities. Soy is in many of our foods today for example. Add soy milk and tofu daily on top of the rest (there is a paragraph worth of unsuspecting foods I could put here) and yes, problems can happen. Is soy evil? I don't think so, it's chock a block full of nutrients. It really just depends on if they're the ones you're short on. Some of the longest lived people in the world regularly eat it (Okinawan). Don't be blinded by the media lights.

I think we need to stop blaming everything for the woes of the world, particularly if people have grown old doing those things, and every time someone says to do or not to do something step back and find out if you're getting it in some other way to the same extent, and try to find and weigh the benefits and disadvantages.

TL;DR: eat a balanced diet, live a active lifestyle, don't stress the small stuff, be happy inside and out 'cause old people eat nutrients and those hard candy.

Replies

• PaleoChocolateBear
    PaleoChocolateBear Posts: 2,844 Member
    Options
    Yeah I have friends like that who are all afraid of everything, and tell me not to eat something because it has this in it. I figure I'm going to die eventually so it's either going to give you cancer or give me diabetics. So bleh people need to relax with that
  • delicious_cocktail
    delicious_cocktail Posts: 5,797 Member
    Options
    Extremely well thought-out and presented.
  • donyellemoniquex3
    donyellemoniquex3 Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    Don't breathe air, shower, eat food or drink any liquids !! They cause cancer !
  • geoffers12
    geoffers12 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    i heard MFP causes cancer....
  • KY2022runner
    KY2022runner Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I have heard that discussing causes for cancer may, in fact cause cancer.
  • donyellemoniquex3
    Options
    i heard MFP causes cancer....
  • shaleyn
    shaleyn Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Vitamin D from the sun forms a powder on the skin? Pretty sure all I've ever heard is that it is synthesized in the skin.
  • chasetwins
    chasetwins Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    With the artificial sweeteners....I get emails and posts all the time as I hardly use regular sugar for me. I have been using equal since 2002.

That being said - my children however can NOT have it in anything. But it is not the actual "artificial sugar" that is the issue. it is the fact it is artificial in the first place. My girls have a sensitivity to most edible items that are artificial or artificially infused. Apparently rare since their doctor thought I was nuts. They can not even have fat free milk as when they remove the fat from whole milk they infuse it with artificial vitamins in order to sell it. :/ My kids do not know what kool aid taste like (also has artificial crap in it) and the only vitamins I can give them are the lil critters gummy ones as after months of searching..these are the only ones without artificial stuff. My kids can not even drink our tap water...?!?!? (yes my life was hell the first few years...kind of used to it now)

I do not know if these artificial things cause anything that something else won't....I myself use them daily however I think the biggest issue is as soon as someone with a sensitivity to them has a reaction they are automatically labeled "dangerous" :/ SMH Blog after blog you see these "studies" but if you search further down people will see..none of their findings are confirmed by a respected scientist.

I agree that moderation is key to health and I agree most of our food has been modified in some way.
  • donyellemoniquex3
    Options
    I have heard that discussing causes for cancer may, in fact cause cancer.
  • TheBitSlinger
    TheBitSlinger Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    A witch turned me into a newt. I got better.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    Intelligent posts cause cancer and toxic build up of TEH TOXINZ!!!

(Hence people will avoid this one like the plague, it's the only possible answer.)
  • suv_hater
    suv_hater Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Milk is not a good source of calcium. It is very acidic, high in phosphorus, and high in animal protein. This leeches calcium from your bones to balance the pH in the blood.

Also, the Okinawans did/do not eat the soy that we consume in America in the form of GMO soy milk, soybean oil, powders, etc. They mostly ate tofu and miso, the latter is a fermented soy paste which is much healthier than non-fermented soy. Don't think because you chug Silk soy milk every morning you will love longer than an Okinawan.

Anyway. I like your sentiment but just had to nitpick a few things.
  • Scott_2025
    Scott_2025 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Excellent post. Balance in life is everything. And science does not always understand everything as well as they think. If i remember correctly, the scientific world thought the world was flat not so many years ago. Maybe it was a few hundred years ago.
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    You can still end up polluting yourself with one thing and avoiding things you need with all fresh unchemically treated food.

Like what exactly? What do processed foods offer that theoretically fresh 'clean' ones do not?

I really am curious, I'm not trying to start anything. Additionally, I agree with your post. Well done.
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    Milk is not a good source of calcium. It is very acidic, high in phosphorus, and high in animal protein. This leeches calcium from your bones to balance the pH in the blood.

Also, the Okinawans did/do not eat the soy that we consume in America in the form of GMO soy milk, soybean oil, powders, etc. They mostly ate tofu and miso, the latter is a fermented soy paste which is much healthier than non-fermented soy. Don't think because you chug Silk soy milk every morning you will love longer than an Okinawan.

Okinawans traditionally ate a lot of pork and seafood.
  • CoderGal
    Options
    Vitamin D from the sun forms a powder on the skin? Pretty sure all I've ever heard is that it is synthesized in the skin.
    Not going into finding all the research for this now but I suggest you look into it and if you have questions make a seperate topic about it. Inital google reveals terrible terrible reference but:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=J1sTYuL-QsU#at=48

Haven't listened to it so not sure if credible or not *narrows eyes*, but pressed play and he begins to explain it.

As far as I know this is a fairly new development. I remember reading some studies suggesting that cats and other animals lick their skin to absorb the vitamin D. Not sure how conclusive any of this is. So by everything I've read we should be uh...dirt bags or licking ourself and others clean before showers lol...My lizard eats her skin after she sheds. Interesting stuff. I wouldn't worry about it to much but it's interesting and something to keep in mind and look into for help if you have a problem. 2 days to get the majority of vitamin D apparently. But wither or not we need the majority is another question.
  • 230137isntmyweight
    230137isntmyweight Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I like knowing what's in my food so as long as everything is labled I'm happy. Then I can choose what I want to eat or feed my kids. And everyone else can do the same. Sure we eat junk food from time to time and I am a MT Dew Addict so obviously I'm not a total quack about chemicals in food. Having said that I don't trust the FDA when they tell me that certain things are "perfectly safe". I just know that I have to weigh the risk vs the reward. Sort of like driving. Yes I will drive 5-10 over the speed limit on the highway but I'd never dream of it in a residential area. Something about common sense and being an adult.
  • delicious_cocktail
    delicious_cocktail Posts: 5,797 Member
    Options
    You can still end up polluting yourself with one thing and avoiding things you need with all fresh unchemically treated food.

Like what exactly? What do processed foods offer that theoretically fresh 'clean' ones do not?

I really am curious, I'm not trying to start anything. Additionally, I agree with your post. Well done.

Shelf stability. Reduced prep time. Economies of scale.
  • CoderGal
    Options

Fair enough, I disagree with some of what you sad though.

The theory that come from 'proving' that milk leeches calcium from the bones seem to come from studies where the people who are drinking milk are on higher protein diets. It has nothing to do with the fact that it is 'animal protein'. From the studies I have read if you eat more protein, you need more calcium. If you eat no protein at all, you absorb more calcium but no protein is well, not good. Don't blindly avoid milk because of studies with loop holes, there are others that show its one of the most bioavailable for calcium (that one I can't find holes in, but there very well could be). A friend of mine drinks a fair bit of dairy, and her bone density is through the roof. Balance.

Yes Okinawans eat different soy, absolutely. I've made other posts commenting on that factor. Particularly in the body by vi threads saying their drinks are good, 'cause Okinawans. Pretty sure they're not on the body by vi diet lol. It's kind of the opposite of "blindly don't eat this it's bad" and into the "blindly eat this it's good". According to a friend they are "renown for their pork dishes, eat fried stuff and eat a lot of white rice. Not to mention soy dishes and a lot of pickled/salted dishes too". They also live a different lifestyle then many and that stuff is always left out as well in all the "they live a long time so lets eat copious amounts of soy" threads. We could pick things out all day, but what it boils down to is balance is key. You're not going to live as long as another culture just by picking up a food source they have.
  • CoderGal
    Options

People have poisoned and killed themselves over consuming water, and other foods many mark as 'good'.

Note the fried fish and chocolate comments. They're processed and benefit me. They can also benefit a persons piece of mind if it makes them happier and not having it makes them sad (you know, as long as their other needs are filled as well). If you have a memory linked to a food and it makes you remember and it brings you joy, well, I don't condone that. Particularly if the alternative is getting depressed about it and not having any. Personally, I think the first part can be a healthy choice, even if it's cake. Notice I said can be. If you're filling yourself with cake to help you get over a moment well, that's not good either. I know pistachios remind me of my mom. And I know when she's long gone and I have one I'll still think of her and all the things she has done for me, including making me graham cracker pistachio pudding/cake to cheer me up whenever I was sick.