Trainer says not to use weights until losing weight?

124»

Replies

• mystiedragonfly
    mystiedragonfly Posts: 189 Member
    Yes, because a body builder who goes through their "bulking" season will not lift any weights during their "cutting" phase. What could THEY possibly know about burning fat with weight lifting?

That trainer is a moron and needs to read a few weightlifting articles. Maybe even a book. I recommend a science book.
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,630 Member
    He's an idiot, plain and simple.

You should definitely be using weights while losing weight. It will help you maintain more of your muscle, meaning you look more toned when you reach your goal. What would you (or your sister in this case) rather, lose 10lbs fat, or 10lbs fat and muscle?? I know which one I'd rather have!

ETA: I've always used weights while losing weight. Biggest weight loss was 21lbs, never felt that I've looked "boxy" because of it.

I totally agree, I always cringe when I see him walking my way. He's just annoying. Good for you losing 21 pounds the right way!

Can't you put earphones in and pretend you cannot hear what he is saying to you?
  • lbuseth
    lbuseth Posts: 41
    I haven't done cardio in 3 weeks and have only lifted 4 to 5 days a week. I have lost 4 lbs in that time. So I think the trainer is wrong!
  • Oneal77
    Oneal77 Posts: 12
    Hi, I'm Oneal, and I hate to say it, but the jerk youre talking about is right. If you start strength training at a bulky state, instead of losing the bulkiness, you will turn it into muscle. You don't want extra fat turning into muscle because it will freeze the body in it's present state. For losing weight you shouldn't start out with any weights until close to the weight you desire. Good luck to you and your friend!
  • Iron_Lotus
    Iron_Lotus Posts: 2,295 Member
    Wow. Things like this make me wonder what it actually takes to become a trainer :huh:
  • Iron_Lotus
    Iron_Lotus Posts: 2,295 Member
    Hi, I'm Oneal, and I hate to say it, but the jerk youre talking about is right. If you start strength training at a bulky state, instead of losing the bulkiness, you will turn it into muscle. You don't want extra fat turning into muscle because it will freeze the body in it's present state. For losing weight you shouldn't start out with any weights until close to the weight you desire. There is a video that you can watch at www.uncommonwebshop.com. Just click on the weight loss link. (I do not want you to by anything), my website receives over 1,500 visitor's a day, so im good. All I ask is if you find the sitehelpful to you, please tell a friend. The first video is an inspirational video. Hope I helped, Good luck to you and your friend!

Oh my heavens NO!
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Hi, I'm Oneal, and I hate to say it, but the jerk youre talking about is right. If you start strength training at a bulky state, instead of losing the bulkiness, you will turn it into muscle. You don't want extra fat turning into muscle because it will freeze the body in it's present state. For losing weight you shouldn't start out with any weights until close to the weight you desire. There is a video that you can watch at www.uncommonwebshop.com. Just click on the weight loss link. (I do not want you to by anything), my website receives over 1,500 visitor's a day, so im good. All I ask is if you find the sitehelpful to you, please tell a friend. The first video is an inspirational video. Hope I helped, Good luck to you and your friend!

How...just how...does adipose tissue turn into muscle tissue?

Go ahead. I'll wait.
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,630 Member
    Hi, I'm Oneal, and I hate to say it, but the jerk youre talking about is right. If you start strength training at a bulky state, instead of losing the bulkiness, you will turn it into muscle. You don't want extra fat turning into muscle because it will freeze the body in it's present state. For losing weight you shouldn't start out with any weights until close to the weight you desire. Good luck to you and your friend!

Fat never turns into muscle and for the record, muscle never turns into fat.

Where did you hear that from and think it was so?
  • nyla2120
    nyla2120 Posts: 370 Member
    He's an idiot, plain and simple.

You should definitely be using weights while losing weight. It will help you maintain more of your muscle, meaning you look more toned when you reach your goal. What would you (or your sister in this case) rather, lose 10lbs fat, or 10lbs fat and muscle?? I know which one I'd rather have!

ETA: I've always used weights while losing weight. Biggest weight loss was 21lbs, never felt that I've looked "boxy" because of it.

I totally agree, I always cringe when I see him walking my way. He's just annoying. Good for you losing 21 pounds the right way!

Can't you put earphones in and pretend you cannot hear what he is saying to you?

LOL this is what I normally do, but when I work out with someone else I don't use it so we can communicate easier.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,489 Member
    Lol, THIS must be the trainer.:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • dicoveringwhoIam
    dicoveringwhoIam Posts: 480 Member
    He's full of it. The best way to lose weight is to incorporate strength training to increase lean muscle, lower body fat percentage, and overall improve your body composition. My only regret in my weight loss was not to do strength more in the very beginning and not just cardio all the time.

^^^this..
    I started losing weight by circuit training with weights.. He's a certified ding ding.
  • ggxx100
    ggxx100 Posts: 520 Member
    I have no words....

Run the other way.

Edit: Actually, send him my way so I can set him straight lol. Lost 50 pounds with only weight training, and only after ditching the hours of cardio I did.
  • nyla2120
    Lol, THIS must be the trainer.:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

IDEA Fitness member
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

OMG! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • nyla2120
    I have no words....

Run the other way.

Edit: Actually, send him my way so I can set him straight lol. Lost 50 pounds with only weight training, and only after ditching the hours of cardio I did.

From your avatar you look freaking amazing! You would set him real straight!
  • jjkarnitz
    jjkarnitz Posts: 55
    Does the gym actually pay this person? Members need to let management know how bad he is.
    This! It really needs to be brought to management's attention because he is not helping- actually harming people- by giving incorrect advice. Good for you for standing up to him.
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    You have good things to say.

Cheers mate.

I think the issue also revolves around "traditional" or "conventional" advice which was based more on subjective opinion and anecdotal evidence from the gym floor- "this is the way we've always done it and it's worked so why change?"

Clearly there has been a move away from that to more evidence based fitness in recent times but you can explain the science until you are blue in the face but the traditional view is so entrenched that convincing people otherwise is a hard job. Half the time it comes down to them simply having faith that what you are saying is correct in the absence of learning methods for themselves.

Fitness - it's always been a tribal religion ;)
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Ask this fool does he even lift BRO?!?!
    Fixed it
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    The problem is this: In the world of today it is WAY too easy for anyone to get a trainer certification. This is why reputable gyms are placing a higher emphasis on college background now more than ever.
  • Jlopez201
    Jlopez201 Posts: 61
    Every now & then my sister will come to the gym with me. She isn't really over weight, but she is on the thicker side & would probably like to lose 10-15 pounds. Anyway she did the elliptical & then came to do abs with me & she was using one of the weighted ab machines. Anyway, one of the trainers came over & told her she shouldn't be using any weights until she loses weight because it will make her look boxy. I told him all the research I have ever done has told me that you should be doing & weights & cardio together even when trying to lose weight. He says I'm wrong, I think he is a jerk. But that's besides the point. I feel you should be toning your body while losing weight. What are your opinions?

I'd find another gym that didn't have such idiotic trainers

Very true. Luckily I don't let what he says influence me, he is always coming over & giving unwanted advice & I let it go in through one ear & out the other.

Unsolicited advice is THE WORST. Especially when the person has no idea wtf they are talking about. He is the reason why sometimes people get frustrated and quit. Ignore him!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,489 Member
    The problem is this: In the world of today it is WAY too easy for anyone to get a trainer certification. This is why reputable gyms are placing a higher emphasis on college background now more than ever.
    THIS. At my Wellness Center, not only do they need at least a degree in either physiology, kinesiology, biokinetics, etc., but they are required to complete 16 classes (attend and engage) from different classes available, observe and note 3 different trainers, teach a group class, design and instruct a class, complete 30 assessments before they can have a client.

IDEA Fitness member