I need to run!

Options

Replies

• KathleenMurry
    KathleenMurry Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    1. Join a running group or get a running buddy
    2. Do a running clinic to get you back into it
    3. Make running playlists for your iPod (or whatever you use)
    4. Buy new running gear (this works for me every time I get into a slum)
    5. Follow running pages on Facebook so it always reminds/motivates you
    6. If you always ran in the same area, chance the scenery.
  • DanOhh
    DanOhh Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    Try "Zombies, Run!"

http://www.zombiesrungame.com/

It gives you an interactive story and your music to your runs.
  • StefPayne
    StefPayne Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I too did like you and ended up taking a couple of months off from my running. I tried to get started back after about 3 weeks but it only lasted about 4 days. After another month the scales started climbing and that was my motivation. I had been at my goal weight for 6 months and seeing the scale going up was like a light coming on for me. Somedays is harder than others but I have been back at it for about 2 months now and I run/walk for about an hour every morning and i feel better than when I was runnning the first time to lose weight. I just needed that break and then the scales going up to get started back.
    Since you know that running works for you and you enjoy it, you will be back at it before you know it. Best of luck to you.
  • mjpTennis
    mjpTennis Posts: 6,165 Member
    Options
    Been there before. I need running too. Most efficient exercise for me.

Post something on MFP to keep you thinking about it.....Get out there!
  • Still_Fluffy
    Still_Fluffy Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    1) Sign up for anouther race
    2) Set a new running goal
    3) Start running with a friend
    4) Try trail running
    5) Try a event race like a mud run or warrior dash

I have ran 5 marathons and 3 half marathons in the last 4 years and was getting tired of the long miles. Now I try to only run 20 miles a week, (down from 40 to 50) and when I run its mostly speed work. It has help me get faster and makes me not hate the amount of time I spend running. Plus it gives me time to get stronger so I can be a better runner.
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    sign up for a race - quickest way to get me running is knowing i have a race coming up
  • MrsTorresisBACK
    MrsTorresisBACK Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Get inspired by reading running pages and buy yourself a new running outfit and sneakers......go to a running store like track shack and just get inspired!!

You'll find the love again...one foot infront of the other....MAKE IT HAPPEN!!!

All the BEST!!
  • AnitaBlake0
    Options
    I've never been a runner...like EVER. Recently, I've picked up jogging and walking and all that jazz. For me, the only thing that keeps me on the habit is this. I always tell myself that I'm going to run in the morning. Let's just be real. it's possible, but that bed is just too damn comfy in the dark hours.
    So I go for my jog directly after work. I don't even bother going home to change, I bring everything I need with me. So I can just get it out of the way. I was doing it without music, which was fine. But once I introduced music...holy ****, it's a whole different ball game now. Dancing, singing, getting jiggy, yeah buddy
    Also, I go to a place where the scenery is just phenomenal. If I'm not running right next to the water and downtown, I've made it over the bridge into the snooty part of town. and the real estate is just UNREAL there.
    We all set different goals while we run. I usually pick a spot. "I'll run to that fire hydrant over there" and it'll be a super short distance.....like half a block, and because the goal was so easy I usually don't stop there, I keep going.
    I've also been inviting people to go with me. You can't lie about how far you went, and they keep you going. Most of my friends who come with me have longer legs and have done track and cross country and are just not fat like me. So they push me.
    Sorry this has been just a ramble after a ramble. but maybe something in there will help.
    It also doesn't hurt to see it on your calorie count as a reminder of what you pushed yourself to do.
    ...and what you will push your self to do again, even longer.
  • jaxCarrie
    jaxCarrie Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Sign up for a race....that's a great motivator - either another half or at least a 10K....(where training is actually involved!). And I live in Florida...so if I don't get it done in the AM, I have to do it either in the blazing sun or the dreadmill. Either option is worse than rolling out of bed, lacing up my shoes and when I 'wake' up, I'm usually about 2 miles in.

Good luck getting your mojo back!!!
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Get a lot of running friends here to clog up your newsfeed with their stats :)

Running every day gets boring for me, so I alternate with my road bike, swimming, and lifting. All have made my running improve as well.
  • hazymary
    hazymary Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    After my 1/2 and a few other races I developed shin splints, so I biked...then signed up for a duathlon...run/bike/run.....really enjoyed it!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Sign up for a race. Having a goal race in sight helps to keep me motivated and focused.

Nothing like a deadline to keep you honest.

^^ This
  • Lyerin
    Lyerin Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    Sign up for a race. Having a goal race in sight helps to keep me motivated and focused.

Yep! Sign up for another race. Even something like a fun 5K may be enough to just get you back into your groove. Maybe try something like the Zombies Run! app to get you back into the swing of things.
  • Doodlewhopper
    Doodlewhopper Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    I have a faded decal on my bathroom mirror that says, "Youre Looking at the Problem".

I think all athletes at one time or another run into a slump and just cant get too worked up about their sport; but Im different, Im tougher then them. I rock. Im a stud. Im a monster. I eat all the asphalt I can find. (hey, works for me dammit LOL)

I keep three simple and really uninspiring things in the forefront of my brain. #1. "Some dont. I do." - #2. "Im a runner. Runners run." - 3. "It's settled. Im not talking about it anymore."

Right now it's so damn hot and humid, the humidity yesterday morning at 4 AM was in the 90's and the afternoon temp forecast was100* Good excuses not to go out huh? But then I remembered #1, #2 & #3 above. I then told myself that I will go out and just shuffle a real easy mile and come home.....but you know what happens once the juices start circulating. Damn! Tricked myself again! I ran for over 2 hours and loved it.

Tonight eat a lot of pasta. Lay out your running gear. Get up in the morning, suit up and just go outside and sit on the front step for a while.....oh yeah, drink a big glass of water first.
  • Lisah8969
    Lisah8969 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    Ignore how you feel. Lace up and run, just a bit. Get out for a few miles. You might hate it. So what. You won't hate it when you're done.

Or don't. It's pretty much that simple.

Pretty much this. I know when I am training for a Half and the miles have just been increasing and my time spent training is increasing, I start to resent it a little. After the event, I start to love it again since the miles have decreased and the time I need to dedicate to it has also decreased. I can go back to enjoying it once more.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    if you dont WANT to run, dont... do something else! swimming, insanity, lifting, zumba, whatever!

The trouble is, my body only really responds to high physical activity like running. Slower exercises don't work as well.

If you're lifting, and it's not high physical activity, then you're doing it wrong.

Not sure if you're looking to completely change gears or not, but tons of people, and tons of women on here switched to lifting heavy and absolutely love the results. Check out Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe or Stronglifts 5x5

These do require access to a gym with a power rack, not sure what your situation there is, but it's worth the results.

The "slower" exercises comment made me laugh.

I completely agree with the two others above. It would probably do your body good to build some real muscle! I attend a bootcamp every day (similar to insanity style) and it's anything but "slow". I've actually seen improvement in my running abilities because of it and I only run once a week. Try the videos mentioned, or finding a bootcamp of sorts, or a cross fit gym.

I love that swimming, insanity, Zumba and lifting are 'slow'!!! I must be doing insanity wrong!!!
  • Holly_Lynn81
    Holly_Lynn81 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I find that if I sign up for races, then I have to train and keep at it. I love running, but just that goal put in front of me keeps me from giving up. Also, find a running buddy and try to run together or train for a race together. Joining a challenge group to see how many miles you can do in a certain time is fun also. Seeing my other MFP friends logging runs on here is motivating too!
  • emmacriswell
    Options

True! That's how I got going the last time. I signed up for the Bronx 10 miler Sept 29
  • emmacriswell
    Options
    if you dont WANT to run, dont... do something else! swimming, insanity, lifting, zumba, whatever!

The trouble is, my body only really responds to high physical activity like running. Slower exercises don't work as well.

If you're lifting, and it's not high physical activity, then you're doing it wrong.

Not sure if you're looking to completely change gears or not, but tons of people, and tons of women on here switched to lifting heavy and absolutely love the results. Check out Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe or Stronglifts 5x5

These do require access to a gym with a power rack, not sure what your situation there is, but it's worth the results.

The "slower" exercises comment made me laugh.

I completely agree with the two others above. It would probably do your body good to build some real muscle! I attend a bootcamp every day (similar to insanity style) and it's anything but "slow". I've actually seen improvement in my running abilities because of it and I only run once a week. Try the videos mentioned, or finding a bootcamp of sorts, or a cross fit gym.

I love that swimming, insanity, Zumba and lifting are 'slow'!!! I must be doing insanity wrong!!!

haha, oh I didn't mean it that way! I hate Zumba, so my other choices are usually pilates or yoga, I also consider lifting slow, though intensely physical. I do need to work on that, for sure.
  • emmacriswell
    Options
    After my 1/2 and a few other races I developed shin splints, so I biked...then signed up for a duathlon...run/bike/run.....really enjoyed it!

Cool! That sounds like fun, maybe I'll try that.