Replies

• RebekahR84
    RebekahR84 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    Nobody ever got fat eating fruit.
  • 1reddeva
    1reddeva Posts: 3
    Options
    the "sugar" in fruit is a natural sugar. it metabolizes differently than simple sugars and in appropriate quantities is very, i repeat, very good for you. so don't fret, unless of course you have some kind of allergy or something of that nature.
  • eblakes93
    eblakes93 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Of course you can eat fruit. It's natural and good for you. Some fruits are better than others of course....

when-fruit-goes-bad.gif

...but overall they are very healthy and good for you. I eat 4-5 servings a day and have lost quite a bit of weight.

As for the question about how the body can tell the difference between fruit sugar and processed stuff:
    Processed sugar, referred to scientifically as “sucrose”, is not only totally devoid of nutrients, but has added chemicals and raises blood sugar levels faster so you get energy/hunger swings. Think white table sugar, sugar in candy bars, or added sugar in fruit drinks.

Regarding “natural” sugar, all plants produce sugar as a byproduct of photosynthesis. Fruits and vegetables have sugar in the form of fructose, which is broken down more slowly by the body than sucrose. In addition, fruits and veggies boast vitamins and minerals also have fiber to slow down the digestion of their natural sugars, which leads to more stable blood sugar levels.

http://www.builtlean.com/2012/12/07/natural-vs-processed-sugar/

I think you just talked me into switching to high fructose corn syrup...

I'm pretty sure you're being sarcastic, but...

Now I'm actually curious about how high fructose corn syrup compares to the fructose in fruit. Doe this mean high fructose corn syrup is a better alternative to sugar? I feel so nooby nutritionally
  • 1reddeva
    1reddeva Posts: 3
    Options
    Lol... funny how the ones who don't eat fruit do get fat.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options

:D ... I got to 300+ eating more fruit, vegetables, and salads than anyone I knew.

Among other things, of course......
  • Pollywog39
    Pollywog39 Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    What is the world coming to that people are afraid to eat fruit?

Sometimes I think maybe the fear of 'sugar' has gone a little overboard.

FEAR OF FOOD............

silly talk, if you ask me :)

EAT the good stuff, and even some of the 'bad', if you can fit it in your day...............quit obsessing, EAT, and have fun.

Life is short - food is good.
  • fatfudgery
    fatfudgery Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    right but a sugar molecule still has the same chemical make up whether it comes from fruit or candy bars...

Yeah, no. The sugar in candy bars is either sucrose or high-fructose corn syrup (both of which are, for all intents and purposes, a 50/50 mix of fructose and glucose) whereas the sugar in fruit is nearly 100% fructose. The glucose in sucrose and HFCS affect your blood insulin level, which has a whole host of metabolic implications, while the fructose in fruit has a negligible effect on blood insulin.

To be sure, fruit sugar and table sugar/HFCS are the same calorically, but they don't have the same metabolic response — let alone "the same chemical makeup."
  • corgicake
    corgicake Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    The sugar budget is pretty lulzy here. I suggest tracking calcium or something else you tend not to get currently instead.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Turns out fruits have sugar I'm them... so it it really bad to eat more than two bananas a day? Should I worry about the sugar limit with fruits?

I'd be more worried about eating that many calories of bananas a day than the sugar. A banana is about 100 calories. But if you have the calories to eat 300+ of bananas then go for it!
  • Shmeelady
    Shmeelady Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Unless you have an underlying medical condition, if it fits your nutrition goals for a day, go for it.

I worry the most about added sugars, like white sugar or high fructose corn syrup.

curious how the body distinguishes between fruit from sugar and white sugar?

That's the thing, the body cannot distinguish between the two. Sugars occur naturally--they're made by plants through the process of photosynthesis--but they can also be made "artificially" by chemically modifying starches. Regardless of whether a sugar comes from nature or from the lab, your body processes it absolutely identically.
  • Shmeelady
    Shmeelady Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    It especially bothers me with fruit...I see people having fruit smoothies with every meal and then complaining that they can't lose any weight...well DUH. If you're consuming an entire day's worth (and then some) of fruit 3x a day you're not going to lose anything. What is fruit full of? Sugar. What does sugar do? Turn into fat. Even if it's healthy sugar, too much of it is still going to turn into fat. But people don't seem to realize this because they've been brainwashed to believe that if it's healthy, more must be better.
  • eblakes93
    eblakes93 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Unless you have an underlying medical condition, if it fits your nutrition goals for a day, go for it.

I worry the most about added sugars, like white sugar or high fructose corn syrup.

That's the thing, the body cannot distinguish between the two. Sugars occur naturally--they're made by plants through the process of photosynthesis--but they can also be made "artificially" by chemically modifying starches. Regardless of whether a sugar comes from nature or from the lab, your body processes it absolutely identically.

Please read the rest of the thread and the explanations other users have posted before you post...
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options

Please read the rest of the thread and the explanations other users have posted before you post...

That's the thing, the forum cannot distinguish between the two. Posts occur naturally--they're made by Posters through the process of digital manipulation of the key array--but they can also be made "artificially" by copypasta. Regardless of whether a post comes from typing or from copypasta, your forum processes it absolutely identically.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Fruit is horrible for you. I wouldn't touch it. ;)

Excuse me while I go back to eating my fresh pineapple :)
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

That's the thing, the forum cannot distinguish between the two. Posts occur naturally--they're made by Posters through the process of digital manipulation of the key array--but they can also be made "artificially" by copypasta. Regardless of whether a post comes from typing or from copypasta, your forum processes it absolutely identically.

bahahahahahaha good one..
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Of course you can eat fruit. It's natural and good for you. Some fruits are better than others of course....

when-fruit-goes-bad.gif

...but overall they are very healthy and good for you. I eat 4-5 servings a day and have lost quite a bit of weight.

As for the question about how the body can tell the difference between fruit sugar and processed stuff:
    Processed sugar, referred to scientifically as “sucrose”, is not only totally devoid of nutrients, but has added chemicals and raises blood sugar levels faster so you get energy/hunger swings. Think white table sugar, sugar in candy bars, or added sugar in fruit drinks.

Regarding “natural” sugar, all plants produce sugar as a byproduct of photosynthesis. Fruits and vegetables have sugar in the form of fructose, which is broken down more slowly by the body than sucrose. In addition, fruits and veggies boast vitamins and minerals also have fiber to slow down the digestion of their natural sugars, which leads to more stable blood sugar levels.

right but a sugar molecule still has the same chemical make up whether it comes from fruit or candy bars...so I still don't see how it would affect your bodily differently...

No, fructose and sucrose are different types of sugar molecules. Here is a good explanation. http://www.livestrong.com/article/311336-fructose-vs-sucrose/

did a quick search of google..I know I know ..but I need to get back to work ..

here is what I Found:

Whether it's in a piece of fruit, your soda or a pastry, sugar is made up of the same two components: fructose and glucose. The molecular structure and composition of sugar molecules is the same no matter where they come from.

The ratios of fructose and glucose are pretty much the same in both fruit and table sugar. Most fruits are 40 to 55 percent fructose (there's some variation: 65 percent in apples and pears; 20 percent in cranberries), and table sugar (aka sucrose) is 50/50. Neither type of sugar is better or worse for you, but your body processes them differently. Fructose breaks down in your liver and doesn’t provoke an insulin response. Glucose starts to break down in the stomach and requires the release of insulin into the bloodstream to be metabolized completely.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/06/29/fruit-sugar-versus-white-sugar_n_3497795.html
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options

[/quote]

Sucrose is an organic naturally occurring sugar and consists of glucose and fructose and is derived from sugar cane and sugar beets (in Europe). I'll agree that it's preferable to eat whole fruits for the fibre, vitamins etc etc but this type of thinking that one type of sugar is evil and another good has no basis in science.

Interesting that the source you quote doesn't list any of these supposed "added chemicals". When I see websites touting "burn fat fast & transform your body with only 3 short workouts/week" I tend not to give them too much credence.
  • Blizaine
    Blizaine Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Fruit is fine. Just don't eat 15 apples a day. Most fruit is low on the glycemic index. Which means it metabolizes slower than something that is high on the glycemic index. Things like table sugar, and refine grains such as bread, rice, cereals, special-k, gondola, all are high on the G-index. They metabolize very quickly and causes a spike in blood sugar and insulin levels. These things are FAR more likely to be stored as fat in your body then fruit.
  • NYCNika
    NYCNika Posts: 611 Member
    Options

:D ... I got to 300+ eating more fruit, vegetables, and salads than anyone I knew.

Among other things, of course......

You probably ate things besides the fruit and vegetables. (or there is excessive dressing involved).

It is darn hard work to eat at a calorie surplus on fruit and vegetables, especially if you eat a variety of them and not just avocados and bananas.
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    I don't know anyone who got fat eating too much fruit.