My first time at the gym was a disaster

Options
Hello everyone :)

I'm an overweight lady in my early twenties. I need to lose approximately 6 stone to become a healthy weight. So I finally signed up to a gym yesterday for the first time, and was told to come in today for my induction. However, I was that desperate to start that I went straight there yesterday evening without having my induction. I was petrified walking in seeing loads of people (all young men) on the treadmills, so I ran for the thing which was furthest away from everyone, the cross trainer. I jumped straight on it, no stretches or warm up, put it on full blast for 20 minutes and went for it. It was the worst idea of my life.

I was panting and shaking/wobbling after only 5 minutes, but didn't get off it because I was too embarrassed at the thought of people seeing how much of a failure I was. When the timer finally bleeped, I jumped off it and had never been happier to be away from something in my entire life. My legs were shaking like mad, I couldn't walk, I felt dehydrated, lightheaded, dizzy and like I was about to vomit.

I am now petrified about going there again, and am really angry at myself for not listening to the gym staff telling me to wait for my induction. My induction is at 2pm today, how do I stop what happened yesterday evening happening today? As that dizzy and nauseating feeling was just indescribable :(

Thank you.

Replies

• jdad1
    jdad1 Posts: 1,899 Member
    Options
    You have to be eating enough throughout your day and even more important, WATER!!!

Take it a bit slower but don't stop!!!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    how do I stop what happened yesterday evening happening today?

you go to your induction, listen to someone who has more experience than you, and then do a reasonable amount of exercise for a person with your fitness level... simple!
  • battyg13
    battyg13 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    when you start exercising its a shock to your body and this is a natural reaction. im an active fit person and the cross trainer destroys me but i can run on a treadmill for ages.

my advice is listen to the person doing your induction and ask them questions.

ease yourself in and ALWAYS have a bottle of water with you :-)

its all about finding the machines you like and feel comfortable using.

the same with lifting and ab exercise as well
  • Sunitagt
    Sunitagt Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I would doubt anyone noticed. I know its nerve wrecking going to the gym. I was scared of what people would think of me when I went in the first time. Focus on yourself when you're there. Next time, don't freak out. Stretch, warm up, and use the machine you want to use when you get there, and stop if you can't go on. Its more important to be safe and healthy when you get there.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    Most people feel a bit shaky and wobbly after exercise, you pushed it a little too far if you felt like you were going to pass out or vomit, but as your fitness level increases you should be able to do a lot more without getting yourself to the point where you feel ill.

The way to avoid it is not push yourself so hard to begin with, but work up gradually. Also, ensuring you've eaten beforehand, but not too close to exercising (usually 1-2hrs before) helps. You need to start on a lower intensity for a shorter time, then as your fitness level improves you can build up to higher intensities and longer times.

Regards switching the machine off before you finish - no-one's going to be paying enough attention to you to notice you did that, so they're not going to think you're a failure. They'll be too busy with their own workouts. Also, stopping suddenly after an intense workout can result in the symptoms you described, you have to slow down gradually and come to a gradual stop. Abrupt stops can make you feel sick and dizzy.
  • squiguk
    squiguk Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    If you go to your induction they won't let you do what you did yesterday. They will teach you to use the machines and tell you how many reps/minutes etc you should be doing to work towards your goal.

It is intimidating walking into a gym that you think is full of fit people but try to remember that a lot of them will be in your position. There are a lot of fit people working out but that could be you one day too. Whenever I go to the gym I always just concentrate on my own workout, not what everyone else is doing so the chances are that people won't be staring at you - they will be doing their own thing.

Don't be embarrased to start off slowly. Even just 5 minutes on a few different machines builds up. Once you get more confident you can go for longer but don't over exert yourself as you risk injury.

Try to forget about everyone else and do you own thing! Good luck! x
  • lsapphire
    lsapphire Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Follow your instructors instructions.
  • LaserMum
    LaserMum Posts: 133
    Options
    Don't panic. It's really great that you're so keen to start this! You just went about it the wrong way.

Induction, in my experience, does not entail much exercise. It's mainly showing you how to use the machines and setting up a programme that will help you to achieve your goals and fit into the timescales you have available.

Don't try to suddenly become the most energetic person in the gym. It'll take time for your body to adjust.

I've had several attempts at joining gyms and never really got on with it - but that's just me. The first session or two are really great, then I my body realises that I'm actually exercising and screams at me to stop. Unfortunately, I usually listen to it! So, be prepared to go through a period after the initial sessions where you might not feel like going. Work your way through it if you can. It'll be worth it.

My daughter (she's a national athlete) has just decided to become my personal trainer so I'll be using her gym equipment at home. Not sure if I like this idea - she nagged at me last night about having an icecream. Now this is really going to be hell - living with my personal trainer!!! Maybe I should give the gym another go ...

Good luck with your induction today. Don't worry about it. And I hope it's the start of a wonderful journey to fitness for you.

:flowerforyou:
  • smetka01
    smetka01 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Oh, I get you. That's why I never go to gym. I am even to ashamed to work out in front of my boyfriend. You will get better every day. Just start slowly and listen to the staff.
    4 weeks ago I did Insanity fit test at home. I thought I will die. I almost fainted, vomited and just wanted to lay on the floor. I never thought I was in that bad shape. But here I am - today I will finish 4 weeks of Hip Hop Abs. I feel better every day.
    I choose home videos because they are much cheaper and no body is watching you :) Also I find them more entertaining than any gym machines.

If you want to stick with gym, bring along a friend to share your worries with. It will be more fun and you will have no (or much less) time to see other people looking at you. Good luck to you!
  • LivvieO
    LivvieO Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Dont worry, almost everyone has an intimidating gym story to tell. I was so intimidated that I only went to a women only gym or if I went to a co-ed gym, I would never touch the free weights area (or as I call it Man Land). To get over my fear, I started by going to the various classes until I felt comfortable enough to start on the equipments. Classes are a great way to get your exercise in, its less intimidating because there's always someone as "bad" as or worst than you and quite honestly no one pays attention to you in the class because they're just as busy trying to keep up as you are. Its also a great way to meet other members with whom you can motivate yourselves as you go on your fitness journey.

As far as feeling sick, it is very important to take the time to go for the orientation and listen to your body. Also, ensure that you are giving yourself enough time to digest your meal before working out and that you are hydrating yourself while you are working out.

Girl the gym can be a petrifying place but its a necessary evil in this battle of the bulge.
  • sammyjane0912
    sammyjane0912 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi

I remember doing something similar to this but what i can say is look at the positives from this.

1. You probably burnt alot of calories from doing this
    2. You know that you have more stamina that you may have realised.
    3. You have worked out your limitations

Go to the induction and use this as a learning curve which (i promise) you will laugh about some day.

Let us know how it goes how it goes and if you would like to add me as a friend i would be more than happy to cheer you up with my gym failure stories and lose weight together
  • Faery_Dust
    Faery_Dust Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Oh hun try not to freak out. You just over-did it. Easy done when starting out. Go and have your induction. For my induction, I wasn't doing any great length of time on anything. The basically just showed me how to use everything. 1 minute max on each machine (on slowest setting) and a couple of reps on each weight machine with lowest weight, just to see how they work.

People are probably paying no attention to you so don't worry what anyone else thinks. Even if they do watch you, so what! You are there and you are working out which is more than a HUGE percentage of the population do so you should congratulate yourself on making the effort. Start out slow and easy. If you have to stop for a minute and have a drink of water and catch your breath, then do it. Don't let other people who are speeding away on the machines put you off. Go at your own pace and take breaks when needed. Eventually you will get fitter and build up your stamina. But if you over do it you will put yourself off like you did yesterday. Forget yesterday ever happened and treat your induction like your first ever visit.

Make sure you have taken in enough calories to fuel your workout, I would suggest waiting an hour or two after food as it can give you heart burn or repeat on your (it does me) but it might not you. You can always try different timings once you are a little more used to it to see what works for your. Get some good tunes pumping, ignore everone else and have a great workout! I'm sure you will do great xx
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    Sounds like it was a very new experience which you were very nervous about.
    Don't stop.
    In a sense, you are over reacting....but if something is uncomfortable and new, that is normal.
    You will get over all this silly stuff, become more focused, and get a lot out of your gym time.
    It's all meant to make you healthier and stronger....stick with it!
  • peachfigs
    peachfigs Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    You overdid it a little with your workout, but don't worry, you will get used to what feels right for your body.

I feel you overdid it because you were feeling self-conscious, or maybe you have social anxiety? Work on this before you worry about anything else. You don't need to feel embarrassed about doing something about your weight. You aren't at the gym to please anyone but yourself.
  • iandanamelia
    iandanamelia Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I was like you in my 20's too. Now I am in my mid 30's I don't give a rats what other people at the gym think or are doing. It took me a long time to get to this place. Seriously, people are only concerned about themselves at the gym. Good luck with your induction.
  • xampx
    xampx Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    My legs always shake after being on a cross trainer too, I almost fall down the stairs when leaving the gym. I tend to avoid it and go for the elliptical which I think is a bit easier.

I don't usually work in stone but I have lost 4 and have another 2-3 to go.
    When I first went to my gym with 7 stone to lose (thats 98lbs, 44-45kg) I started off slow.

My first day I did 5 minutes on a bike, 5 minutes on a rower, and then I went home. Knowing that those 10 minutes were 10 minutes more than I would have done if I hadn't gone at all. Within a week I was up to 45 minutes, and now I tend to do about 90 minutes between weights and elliptical/cycling or I go swimming.

You have to understand that most people in the gym do not care what you or anyone else is doing, they are focussed on themselves and their own workouts. Don't let them intimidate you! Just turn up, do a little more each time, and in no time at all you will look like you have been going for months.
  • ElusivePete
    ElusivePete Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    My first time on the cross trainer was exactly the same, and that was even after going through induction! I felt like I could barely stand up straight. I very quickly got used to it though, and for a while was regularly on there for an hour at a time without any ill effects. It's totally worth it to push through. :)

I know the gym can seem like an intimidating place, but in my experience there's nothing at all to be embarrassed or worried about. Regular gym users are usually very nice people who will often be glad to help and encourage you. If you start going regularly, you'll feel quite at home in no time!
  • EdTheGinge
    EdTheGinge Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    As already stated just take your time, there's no rush. It's a common misconception that everybody is judging each other in gyms and while this might be the case for a couple most people are there to concentrate on themselves and won't pay a jot of notice to what you're doing.

Just remember why you're doing this and who cares what others may or may not think.
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    The gym is a place for SELF improvement. A lot of people are hella tired and don't even care to judge others if they're actually working out. The people who are the a-holes are people who go the gym to socialize.
  • Deekay8008
    Deekay8008 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone :)

I'm an overweight lady in my early twenties. I need to lose approximately 6 stone to become a healthy weight. So I finally signed up to a gym yesterday for the first time, and was told to come in today for my induction. However, I was that desperate to start that I went straight there yesterday evening without having my induction. I was petrified walking in seeing loads of people (all young men) on the treadmills, so I ran for the thing which was furthest away from everyone, the cross trainer. I jumped straight on it, no stretches or warm up, put it on full blast for 20 minutes and went for it. It was the worst idea of my life.

I was panting and shaking/wobbling after only 5 minutes, but didn't get off it because I was too embarrassed at the thought of people seeing how much of a failure I was. When the timer finally bleeped, I jumped off it and had never been happier to be away from something in my entire life. My legs were shaking like mad, I couldn't walk, I felt dehydrated, lightheaded, dizzy and like I was about to vomit.

I am now petrified about going there again, and am really angry at myself for not listening to the gym staff telling me to wait for my induction. My induction is at 2pm today, how do I stop what happened yesterday evening happening today? As that dizzy and nauseating feeling was just indescribable :(

Thank you.

When I read your post all I can think is that you know exactly what you did wrong and why it resulted in you feeling the way you do. At each point where you made a bad decision, i.e. not attending induction, not warming up, putting the machine on full pelt, putting the thoughts of others, who probably haven't even noticed you're even there before your own safety - you've identified this yourself. So I guess my advice is to take your own advice.