I hate being short and needing to lose weight

Options
2»

Replies

• shanniepk
    shanniepk Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'3" and even 5 lbs makes a huge difference for me in clothes size, etc. My best friend in high school was almost 6', and I remember even back then she could eat whatever she wanted, whenever she wanted and did, while I ate a lot of salad. LOL. Twenty some years later, I still have to exercise like crazy and eat right to keep my weight under control. Guess what though, age catches up and that girl that ate everything gained a lot of weight. Some people will disagree, but I pay attention to "what" I eat. Nutrient rich healthy foods make me more full and increase my workout performance. Spacing out my food during the day helps a lot too, along with a good breakfast. If I can't have 2 more inches in my height, at least I can work at 2 less around my waist.
  • chani8
    chani8 Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    You all must be very active. I calculated my BMR and I only get to eat 1070 calories a day. Maybe I should get off my duff so I can eat a little more. Meh. Never mind.
  • Carfoodel
    Carfoodel Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I have mine set at 1600 I am 5ft 2" and aged 46, my average TDEE (taken from my fitbit from a full year's stats) is 2778.

I have tried eating more calories and less calories and more exercise, less exercise, weights, HIIT, intervals, running, climbing, walking - you name it and in the last year I have only lost about 17lbs.

at the moment I am trying to ignore the exercise I am doing - but when I use the MFP recommended calories it is something like 1300 - there is no way I could manage on that with my activity levels :(

so sorry that was a bit me, me , me - but yes I feel your pain, I would love to lose some actual weight as my scales are just not budging and my height and age don't help the fact that I may have lost a load of weight ( my biggest size before mfp was well over 320lbs) I still have at least 70lbs to go, but feel like that is never going to happen. I know I am fitter and much smaller than I was but would really like to be just "overweight" lol /end self indulgent pity party.

I guess I was just jumping in as misery likes company haha
  • UNLESS19
    UNLESS19 Posts: 118
    Options
    i feel the same! If you thing your BMR is bad- mine's 1,187 apparently, according to MFP calculator. My goal is to eat 1, 200 but i try bo be a bit under to give way for errors
    I envy these people who can eat more or work less, for us shorties we have to eat less AND work more, even to maintain our weight!
    It's so easy to be sabotaged too, as we should have smaller portions and my 'average' height friends give me what they have thus you eat more. though i try to always leave something left on my plate

I could do with a doughnut too :( i added you for a buddy to have :)
    <3
  • yksdoris
    yksdoris Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I feel ya. it was really strange to realize that if I eat the "normal female" amount of calories, I'd get obese. yup. and, what's even more annoying, in 20 kg you can go from "normal" to "obese" - though, of course that works the other way back too. But the annoying part is, even if you gain a tiny little bit that wouldn't even register on a taller person, us shorties need to change clothing sizes.

but, you get used to things. I'm on maintenance now and while my daily goal is 1400, I regularly splurge in the weekend and spike up to 2000 or so, but overall it evens out. I still eat all sorts of things, it's simply a matter of finding things that are low cal but high "fill factor" - such as broccoli, carrots, chicken...

I'm 5'1 and now weigh 56-57 kg (approx 125 lb) that's on the top side of "normal" and while I could lose a bit more, I'm starting to struggle with finding clothes that fit. You know, in the adult section of the store. Now I'm fitting nicely in the France/Benelux size 34, or a nice XS (which in US is apparently size 2 and XXS) - if I lose just 2 or 3 more kg I'll really be in trouble... But still not underweight by any standards. go figure :P
  • Taylor0212
    Taylor0212 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I hate to say it, but tall people have problems losing weight too...
  • kjoy_
    kjoy_ Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2" 135 and my TDEE is 1650 so i know what you're going through. if you just think of yourself as a car, some people are SUVs thus need more fuel/gas, us short girls are like smart cars. at least we get great gas mileage :). but i eat about 1600 calories a day and exercise for 300-400 however i can to still lose steadily. everytime i want something extra i just work a little harder jogging or on the elliptical to give me some wiggle room.
  • peachfigs
    peachfigs Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    Well here's a postiive - when you do lose weight, it will be more noticeable on you than someone who is taller.
  • shrimpydoo
    shrimpydoo Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I'm short too. 4'11 1/2 . It's tough when you're overweight because it's just so much more noticeable--and getting clothes to fit when overweight is more than a challenge. Even the 'big girl' stores don't work.. Oh well. Cheers to all us shorties... we're definitely undertall, but we can still do it and look great if we want it bad enough. Wanting it and focusing is really the key.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    4'10 and eats 2000 calories a day:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1032620-4-10-and-eats-2000-calories-a-day-eeegads-pics?hl=4'10+eating+2000+calories

edit: Just thought you guys could use a little motivation. It is possible to be short and eat 2000 calories a day.

I'm 5'4" and occasionally eat up to 2500 calories a day. On top of that I'm losing weight at an average of 2lbs per week (even with MFP and fitbit set to only 1lb per week). I think it really boils down to your activity level and possibly even the amount of muscle you have. More muscle = more calories burned in a day.

As for what bothers me about my body. All the fat on it, lol. I was thin up until a few years ago and I can't believe how much I let myself go. Oh and my boobs, the dang things aren't shrinking fast enough (although they were on the big side when I was thin too).

^^^^ this. I'm 5'1" and eat loads. When cutting I'll eat 1850 cals/day, and I don't do very much cardio at all. Could easily lose on 2000 cals/day if I bothered to do some actual cardio :p (currently eating for strength and lean mass gains, so still not doing cardio and eating more than 2000 cals/day, but that's a different goal to cutting/fat loss). I have a large frame which means I can eat slightly more calories than a smaller framed person of my height, but going by the calorie calculators, it's only like 50-100 calories more.

as for what I can't change about my body... mahoosive shoulders and rib cage, but I choose to like them. Yay for neanderthal genes :drinker: (they're good for being able to lift really heavy weights too)
  • 2Bgoddess
    2Bgoddess Posts: 1,096 Member
    Options
    I wish I could eat that much and lose. I am 5'7" and I have to net 1000 cals to lose. And before anyone gets on their high horse, I have a metabolic condition, doctor monitored. I exercise more so I can eat more. But if I eat 1200 a day with no extra exercise, I slowly gain. *sigh* hard to eat like a bird with an appetite like a linebacker. But by keeping an eye on my numbers- carbs and sugar- i can eat more without racking up the calories so fast.
  • britzzie
    britzzie Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Seriously. At 5'0" and female my BMR is like ~1700. So when I am "normal eating" at 2000kcal i would gain weight. But I peek around at other people's habits and diaries and I see people being able to eat 2000 calories and lose weight! Ugh. I'm annoyed by my body. I would kill for an extra 800 calories a day. I WOULD KILL FOR A DOUGHNUT RIGHT NOW.

/rant

What about your body that you can't change annoys you?

Not sure if anyone said this already or if OP just misspoke, but if your BMR (cals you'd burn if you laid in bed all day) is 1700, then you shouldn't "gain weight" at 2000 cals/day. I recommend working your numbers again, eating back some exercise cals, and listening to your fellow shorties in the feed. I'm 5'9", so it must be easy for me! J/K Good luck!
  • FP4HSharon
    FP4HSharon Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    I'm annoyed by my body. I would kill for an extra 800 calories a day. I WOULD KILL FOR A DOUGHNUT RIGHT NOW.

So you say you "WOULD KILL for an extra 800 calories a day" or "for a donut"...how about increasing your workouts instead? EVERYONE, of any size, would like to be able to eat what they want without workouts. But it's basic math...you want to eat more, work out more. If you're not willing to do the work to be able to eat those extra calories, then you can't really complain. And for the record, I'm 5' 3.5", was 154 lbs at my highest, currently 127. Hey, we'd all like to be able to eat like Michael Phelps, but few of us are willing to do the work to make it possible.