Parents let their kids eat trash?

Options

Replies

• dolfn1972
    dolfn1972 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    could it possibly be that going out to eat is a treat and the kids are allowed to have the 'fun' foods?

Unless they are your kids...dont make judgement calls on what they are or are not eating. You see a picture or a family sitting down at the resteraunt and make your assumptions. You know what happens when you assume.....right?
  • Dauntlessness
    Dauntlessness Posts: 1,489 Member
    Options
    I do gotta put out there that my best friend has 3 kids, one is 6, one is 8 and one is 10. I am around them all the time and the kids eat whatever she wants them to. There has been times her husband says "I cant believe they are eating that"???? Because its something like kale and beans left over from the night before. haha I love those kids

There are times they want a little extra something like pizza or ice cream but I have never seen then have a tempter tantrum when she said no. It makes me wonder if it is really the parent or the kids.

Also, Is it possible that the kids are having chicken tenders and french fries when you saw them but they ate healthy for the rest of the week? The problem is, you just don't know.
  • RebekahR84
    RebekahR84 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    Longest thread ever. Can someone offer me a synopsis? Here's a gif for your troubles.

tumblr_m14mux8eCw1qdlh1io1_r1_400.gif
  • MSeel1984
    MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
    Options
    Trash? Why would kids want to eat trash? It wouldn't taste very good...
  • rachseby
    rachseby Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Longest thread ever. Can someone offer me a synopsis? Here's a gif for your troubles.

OP asked why people let their kids eat trash, unsurprisingly a lot were offended by this. You have to read the comments to get the full effect...
  • savithny
    savithny Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    I know its been said, but it bears repeating here:

FAT IS NOT EVIL.
    FAT IS A NECESSARY NUTRIENT.
    CHILDREN NEED FAT FOR BRAIN GROWTH.
    DO NOT PUT SMALL CHILDREN ON LOW FAT DIETS!!

While I'm as big an enemy of the "oh, just dip it in Ranch" movement as the next foodie? The fat in that ranch dressing makes the fat-soluble vitamins in the veggies its covering usable by your body. Even grownups shouldn't be trying to eat nonfat everything, and every time you eat a nonfat salad dressing and congratulate yourself on your wonderful nutrition, you're literally peeing away a bunch of vitally important micronutrients because they need to be eaten with fat for your body to absorb them.
  • ohheyitsfelicity
    Options
    Some parents will feed their kids at home, and will get a "special treat" when they go out for dinner. I know for a fact, my sister does not let my nieces eat junk food, except on their "special day" (which is Tuesday) and they get McDonalds. Even when I've taken my nieces out for dinner, they'll usually order off the kids menu - chicken & veggies for their main course, chocolate milk (eh, better than them ordering pop) and when they get to choose ice cream off the menu, they'll take two bites of it and be finished. So moral of the story is, someone may see my sister taking my nieces to McDonalds every single Tuesday for their chicken nugget happy meal, but they may not know that's the only time that they get junk food in a week.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    JERRY JERRY JERRY!

jerry-springer-reactions-o.gif
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I may not always feed my kids the best food, but I don't usually allow them to eat out of the trash can. I mean if it's something sitting right on top and they can easily brush off the dirt I don't usually say much, but other than that I prefer they avoid the garbage.

IKR?

It's taking "Reduce, Reuse, Recycle" a little too far.

3p512g.jpg
  • jackieleannebowman
    jackieleannebowman Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    That could have very easily been me you saw at that restaurant.. but here's what you don't see by being a casual observer at a restaurant...

1. This is the 4th time this 5 year old has ever been to a real restaurant and he's so excited! He's thinking Oh yeah, I want a burger and fries, this is a HUGE treat!! Oh and if my mom makes me eat cucumbers tonight I am seriously going to pitch a fit right here in this jam-packed restaurant!!

2. At home this same 5 year old, makes healthy choices all the time, not every time, but most of the time... eats loads of fruits and veggies, meats, but still has lots of fun fruit snacks, goldfish, crackers, brownies etc. that kids love.

Raising a kid a hard thing to do, there is always balance in life and I feel to deprive can be just as determental as to indulge. For me it's about giving my kid the proper knowledge about food, and what's healthy and what's not, and emphasising that it's important to make healthy choices and why, but that it's totally okay to have that happy meal once and a while. I'm also scared that too much emphasis on food may give him body issues - so I am hoping that through knowledge, letting him make his own decisions now about food with this knowledge and giving him a good example to go by he'll turn out just fine... (fingers crossed!)
  • glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    From this question, I surmise that you do not have children, right?
    I only got as far as reading the first response. a new record!

I do have kids and I don't think it's ok to let them order a plate of fried junk every day.
    I will let it as a rare treat. you're welcome.
  • DragonSquatter
    DragonSquatter Posts: 957 Member
    Options

OP: Why kids gonna get junk to eat?

Somebody later: Cuz they like it yo, why you gotta judge?

*insert food paranoia*

Somebody later: You even got kids OP?

Somebody later: NO/YES

*insert sh*tstorm here*

Now, we're all waiting for the gifstorm.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Ahh let me say it...

Dear Parents,
    Thank you for allowing your child to have that fried greasy piece of chicken heaven...because I surely don't want to sit in a restaurant for 1hr listening to them scream over why he/she has to eat another bite of peas & carrots....just sayin CHEERS! let them enjoy! and be KIDS!

Actually, any kids that act like that in ANY public place should be taken out immediately. No reason they have to act like baboons, or be permitted to annoy others.

eye-roll1.gif

Pretty sure there was some sarcasm in there.

Actually no sarcasm intended...just the thought of trying to have a nice quiet restaurant dinner (NOT in a fast food place) with somebody's obnoxious kids screaming about what they will or won't eat.

When kids in restaurants are screaming for whatever reason usually as their already embarrassed parents usher them out of earshot, it is because they are learning the rules, don't have a good handle on their emotions yet, and etc. When grown women are whining on the internet about everything all the time in the most negative and obnoxious ways repeatedly and calling little kids who are still in the learning curve "obnoxious" it is because they are :devil: .

95.gif

I was agreeing with the poster I quoted about not wanting to listen to some kid screaming in a public restaurant, and yes that IS obnoxious to other diners, I don't care what the reason, learning curve, bad behavior, undisciplined, too young to know better, I don't care why, just don't want to have to listen to it. Perfectly reasonable.

As I stated, you don't have to. Go to a restaurant that doesn't allow kids.

at-t-infinity-mind-blown-o.gif

As long as you go to a place where there are kids, have a chance to be kids there, could be kids, you run the risk of a kid being unruly. No parent on the face of the planet is going to let their kid scream for an hour in a restaurant....my point.
  • RebekahR84
    RebekahR84 Posts: 794 Member
    Options

OP: Why kids gonna get junk to eat?

Somebody later: Cuz they like it yo, why you gotta judge?

*insert food paranoia*

Somebody later: You even got kids OP?

Somebody later: NO/YES

*insert sh*tstorm here*

Now, we're all waiting for the gifstorm.

Thank you. :laugh: 3DObz.gif
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Guess it's a good thing I'm not a parent. I would not allow my children to eat chicken fingers, macaroni and cheese, hot dogs, or 90% of what I see on kid's menus. I would be too strict about food and diet and perhaps this is because I was brought up on fast food and TV dinners and became obese. I am a real stickler for feeding children healthily since I was an overweight kid myself and know the pain it causes. I cringe when family tries to load up my 3 year old niece with soda and candy. I can't imagine how I'd react were it my own child.

There is a difference betweeen eating these food every single day and eating them say once a fortnight/month/year.
    I have also seen the reverse of this - kids that were so restricted when they could get soda and candy (as a teenager/adult) they over indulged and voila obese.

^^This.

They get to college and BAM freshman 40 because they haven't learned moderation.
  • tyrantduck
    tyrantduck Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Whatever. My daughter eats nuggets, mac and cheese, hot dogs, and chocolate -- pretty much any type of treat she asks for. Why don't I do better for her? WHY OH WHY CAN'T I JUST BE A BETTER PARENT?!

Because she also asks to eats a variety if fruits and veggies and is insanely active --- why do I need to encourage my healthy weight 3 year old to be neurotic about food? I don't. Food is food and if you don't act like certain things are terrible, off limits or "special" kids won't either. Since her dad and I have been at a healthy weights for a long time, I think our approach to food works.

^^^^THIS!!!!^^^^ my 5 year old daughter also eats pretty much whatever she wants. BUT, she's also at a very healthy weight for her age and height, is extremely active (swimming, gymnastics, riding her bike, and running around the house and backyard with our dog), and we let her pick what she wants to eat for dinner every night during the week since we only cook full meals on the weekends (it's the only part of the week we have time to do so). Some nights it's a Kid Cuisine, some nights it's pasta or a hamburger, other nights it's a salad (yes, my 5 year old daughter eats salad and any and all veggies that come with it!). She loves nearly all fruit, melon, veggies, meats, you name it, she likes it. I got lucky because I'm an excessively picky eater and have selective eating disorder due to certain textures and flavors making me gag, but she inherited her father's tastebuds and I'm glad. She only drinks 1% milk, no sugar added juices, and ice water. She occasionally will get to have lemonade/kool aid as a treat in the summer. She's tasted soda, yes, but we do not let her drink it at home.

The main point here that's been stated more than once is that you can't judge someone's choices by only seeing them briefly on a single occasion. You do not live their life and have no idea what the rest of their day is like, so don't be so quick to judge anyone until you've walked in their shoes.
  • leahgoldgirl
    leahgoldgirl Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I am so grateful to my parents for never allowing me to eat the crap that some parents feel is appropriate to feed their kids on a regular basis. Sure, every once in awhile, we had a hot dog or pizza, and we always had a couple cookies in our lunches and a small dessert after dinner, but there were no high sugared cereals (or dumping sugar on our cheerios), no soda, no lunchables, no white bread, no bags of chips and no dinners that didn't include a protein, a healthy carbohydrate and a large portion of vegetables. Even if we had a pizza night or the rare hot dog and burger night, we had a vegetable or a large salad with it.

For parents who say it's all their kids will eat, that's only because you allow them to be that way. Stop letting your kids be the boss and stop being lazy with their health. I've met plenty of kids who eat healthy food because their parents don't give them the option not to.

There were times as a child that I'm sure I resented that my parents only offered me healthy, balanced choices, as opposed to the crap my friends were eating, but those same friends will tell me now they wish their parents had done the same, and the fact that my parents cared about my health allowed me to lead an active, healthy childhood and be an active, healthy adult, who is capable of making good food choices.

Most of my friends from growing up whose parents allowed them to eat junk are now overweight to obese, even if they were thin kids, and struggling to try to find some sort of healthy balance. Many already have some serious health issues/ limitations at 30 years old.

For any parent who says healthy food is too expensive. Again, stop making excuses. It's cheaper to cook healthy meals at home and pack healthy lunches for yourself and family. It's just more work. Both of my parents worked full time. There were 4 kids and we were on a tight budget. They managed to feed 6 people healthy meals, with plenty of veggies and fruits, for about 400 every 10 days to two weeks (that is at most, $2.22 per person, per meal).
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    I am so grateful to my parents for never allowing me to eat the crap that some parents feel is appropriate to feed their kids on a regular basis. Sure, every once in awhile, we had a hot dog or pizza, and we always had a couple cookies in our lunches and a small dessert after dinner, but there were no high sugared cereals (or dumping sugar on our cheerios), no soda, no lunchables, no white bread, no bags of chips and no dinners that didn't include a protein, a healthy carbohydrate and a large portion of vegetables. Even if we had a pizza night or the rare hot dog and burger night, we had a vegetable or a large salad with it.

For parents who say it's all their kids will eat, that's only because you allow them to be that way. Stop letting your kids be the boss and stop being lazy with their health. I've met plenty of kids who eat healthy food because their parents don't give them the option not to.

There were times as a child that I'm sure I resented that my parents only offered me healthy, balanced choices, as opposed to the crap my friends were eating, but those same friends will tell me now they wish their parents had done the same, and the fact that my parents cared about my health allowed me to lead an active, healthy childhood and be an active, healthy adult, who is capable of making good food choices.

Most of my friends from growing up whose parents allowed them to eat junk are now overweight to obese, even if they were thin kids, and struggling to try to find some sort of healthy balance. Many already have some serious health issues/ limitations at 30 years old.

For any parent who says healthy food is too expensive. Again, stop making excuses. It's cheaper to cook healthy meals at home and pack healthy lunches for yourself and family. It's just more work. Both of my parents worked full time. There were 4 kids and we were on a tight budget. They managed to feed 6 people healthy meals, with plenty of veggies and fruits, for about 400 every 10 days to two weeks (that is at most, $2.22 per person, per meal).

THANK YOU and right on!
  • leahgoldgirl
    leahgoldgirl Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    And yeah, I could have 1 soda or shirley temple if we went out to eat, but it was a treat, not the norm. It wasn't stocked at home. My parents taught me balance and I don't see many parents doing that anymore.

I still bartend sometimes to help out a friend with a restaurant. It makes me so disgusted and sad when parents allow their kid to drink 4 sodas or Shirley Temples over the course of a meal and let them order something with no veggies or any real nutritional value. They don't seem to realize what a disadvantage they are putting their kids at by doing this.
  • dnunny70
    dnunny70 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    So last night I was watching a show about a family that had money issues. The family eats a restricted diet; the kids must have been asked what they would like to eat: pizza, cake, donuts, ice cream.....makes you wonder if when they are away from their parents (college) what food choices they will make.

Again, I stand by...moderation.