cant even eat fruit?

Options

Replies

• MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    Try to keep away from refined, processed white sugar for the most part. Natural sugars in fruits are fine, eat all the fruit you want. Two bananas plus a pint of raspberries and a pear or two sounds about right .....
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    Turns out fruits have sugar I'm them... so it it really bad to eat more than two bananas a day? Should I worry about the sugar limit with fruits?

I'd be more worried about eating that many calories of bananas a day than the sugar. A banana is about 100 calories. But if you have the calories to eat 300+ of bananas then go for it!

Anybody should be able to fit in 300 cals. of fruit, easily.
  • howardheilweil
    howardheilweil Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    I'm glad my sixty pound heavier former me, never heard that fruit was off limits. Fruit is a daily part of my lifestyle. Go fruit! But don't go nuts to the expense of other healthy options. Go veggies!
    Agreed! Just finished eating a beautiful huge nectarine and it was awesome! I have a minimum of 2 or 3 pieces of fruit every day. I eat very little processed sugar, but will never give up fresh fruit.
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    Fruit contains a lot of other nutrients which are fantastic for you, not just sugar. If you have the calories go for it.
  • OhLeita
    OhLeita Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Take a whole banana, frozen strawberries, blueberries, cherries, a dollop of plain greek yogurt and a dash of water and a spoonful of wheat germ. Add some greens if you're feeling hard core. Blender blast that mess and enjoy. I like them straw-collapsing thick and drink one almost every day.
  • Rolande55
    Rolande55 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    High fructose corn syrup is GARBAGE! It's made from GMO corn for one and is in most processed foods and is probably one of the recently introduced food ingredients that has contributed to the growing obesity problems. Fresh raw fruit is better than fruit juices and not only has natural differently metabolized sugar, but fiber and vitamins for a truly healthy lifestyle choice. Bananas possibly not as much but it's still way better than a big mac,...know what I mean?
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Anyone that tells you you can't eat fruit is a moron.

As for HFC etc...

Calores in < Calories Out = lose weight
  • boredlimodriver
    boredlimodriver Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    IIFYC
    IIFYM

then eat it
  • kaseysospacey
    kaseysospacey Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    There is natural sugar in many things,even in some vegetables. But its not the same as refined white sugar and it also has the fiber in it to help control blood sugar,as well as nutrition.
  • punka23
    punka23 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    My doctor put me on a diet! No sugars at all I'm addicted to banannas so it was hard to give up all fruit. I was having trouble loosing weight and I didn't know why. I was working out 6 times a week and eating "HEALTHY" according to me lol. Every morning for breakfast I had a protein shake with banannas and strawberries or other days almond milk and eggs.

First month on the diet (low carbs, no sugars, no dairy) I lost 15 pounds. First week was HARD that weekend I ate pizza, ice-cream and flan it was DELICIOUS so I GAINED 3 pounds that's when it really hit me!

I've been eating only the foods my doctor allows me to eat and I do try to have at least a piece of fruit once a week so I wont go all crazy craving sugar. I've been on this for 7 weeks and lost a total of 21 pounds.

SUGAR can be bad but everyones body reacts different.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    What is the world coming to that people are afraid to eat fruit?

Sometimes I think maybe the fear of 'sugar' has gone a little overboard.

FEAR OF FOOD............

silly talk, if you ask me :)

EAT the good stuff, and even some of the 'bad', if you can fit it in your day...............quit obsessing, EAT, and have fun.

Life is short - food is good.

^^^^ this

and if fruit is bad for humans then we'd better warn all the zookeepers not to give any of the other primate species fruit either. And OMG what about all the wild primates who eat fruit? How're we going to warn them not to eat it.....?

Fruit is good for you. Eating too much is bad for you. Avoid specific foods if you have a medical reason to do so, but if you don't, no need to. Feed your body the nutrients it needs. Eat what you like after that, so long as you don't go OTT with it. Portion control is what's important. :flowerforyou:
  • the_green_midget
    the_green_midget Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I think that one of the key differences between refined sugars and sugars you get in fruit is the fibre. From the same Huffington Post article quoted earlier:

"Plus, whole fruit has a lot of fiber, which actually slows down your body's digestion of glucose, so you don't get the crazy insulin spike (and subsequent crash) that candy causes."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/06/29/fruit-sugar-versus-white-sugar_n_3497795.html

(Edited for grammar)
  • kaseysospacey
    kaseysospacey Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Unless you have an underlying medical condition, if it fits your nutrition goals for a day, go for it.

I worry the most about added sugars, like white sugar or high fructose corn syrup.

curious how the body distinguishes between fruit from sugar and white sugar?
    beyong gi index,fiber slows it down n controls blood sugar.
  • jb_2011
    jb_2011 Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    It especially bothers me with fruit...I see people having fruit smoothies with every meal and then complaining that they can't lose any weight...well DUH. If you're consuming an entire day's worth (and then some) of fruit 3x a day you're not going to lose anything. What is fruit full of? Sugar. What does sugar do? Turn into fat. Even if it's healthy sugar, too much of it is still going to turn into fat. But people don't seem to realize this because they've been brainwashed to believe that if it's healthy, more must be better.
    Right on. Sugar turns to fat. Go easy with fruit, learn to love it in small amounts.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    Unless you have an underlying medical condition, if it fits your nutrition goals for a day, go for it.

I worry the most about added sugars, like white sugar or high fructose corn syrup.

That's the thing, the body cannot distinguish between the two. Sugars occur naturally--they're made by plants through the process of photosynthesis--but they can also be made "artificially" by chemically modifying starches. Regardless of whether a sugar comes from nature or from the lab, your body processes it absolutely identically.

Actually that's not true. Some fruits and sugars have a higher glycemic index than others and your body will process it differently.

Fructose from fruit and sucrose both increase fat production as well.
    Texas Southwestern Medical Center found consuming fructose increases liver production of fat, according to research published in the "Journal of Nutrition" in June 2008. The results demonstrated that increasing concentration of fructose in the diet increases the amount of fat the liver produces. Elizabeth Parks, Ph.D., lead author of the research study, said with regard to fructose, glucose and sucrose: “All three can be made into triglycerides, a form of body fat; however, once you start the process of fat synthesis from fructose, it’s hard to slow it down."
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    My doctor put me on a diet! No sugars at all I'm addicted to banannas so it was hard to give up all fruit. I was having trouble loosing weight and I didn't know why. I was working out 6 times a week and eating "HEALTHY" according to me lol. Every morning for breakfast I had a protein shake with banannas and strawberries or other days almond milk and eggs.

First month on the diet (low carbs, no sugars, no dairy) I lost 15 pounds. First week was HARD that weekend I ate pizza, ice-cream and flan it was DELICIOUS so I GAINED 3 pounds that's when it really hit me!

I've been eating only the foods my doctor allows me to eat and I do try to have at least a piece of fruit once a week so I wont go all crazy craving sugar. I've been on this for 7 weeks and lost a total of 21 pounds.

SUGAR can be bad but everyones body reacts different.

I would recommend a new DR or second opinion...if your "diet" is causing you to binge on the weekend that is not a good thing...
  • lindustum
    lindustum Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Sorry but isn't the main difference between "good" and "bad" sugar when it comes to weight loss the sugar-to-kcal ratio?

If I eat 100g banana, that has 21g sugar but only 105kcal.
    If I eat a KitKat chunky (48g) that has 20g sugar but 247kcal because of the fat and what else is in there.
    Ergo the ratio has changed significantly.

So bananas over chocolate bar because 105-to-21 is better than 247-to-20.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    Sorry but isn't the main difference between "good" and "bad" sugar when it comes to weight loss the sugar-to-kcal ratio?

If I eat 100g banana, that has 21g sugar but only 105kcal.
    If I eat a KitKat chunky (48g) that has 20g sugar but 247kcal because of the fat and what else is in there.
    Ergo the ratio has changed significantly.

So bananas over chocolate bar because 105-to-21 is better than 247-to-20.

Not really because you could have something that is low in cals but has HFCS in it or something that is higher in calories but is sweetened with honey.

I would go for the higher calorie/honey sweetened foodie over the low cal HFCS sweetened one.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Right on. Sugar turns to fat. Go easy with fruit, learn to love it in small amounts.

Don't you means that surplus calories turn to fat?
    The conversion of carbohydrates or protein into fat is 10 times less efficient than simply storing fat in a fat cell, but the body can do it. If you have 100 extra calories in fat (about 11 grams) floating in your bloodstream, fat cells can store it using only 2.5 calories of energy. On the other hand, if you have 100 extra calories in glucose (about 25 grams) floating in your bloodstream, it takes 23 calories of energy to convert the glucose into fat and then store it. Given a choice, a fat cell will grab the fat and store it rather than the carbohydrates because fat is so much easier to store.
    http://science.howstuffworks.com/life/cellular-microscopic/fat-cell2.htm

The whole sugar --> insulin --> fat storage model is often grossly (and I suspect intentionally) misrepresented by those with a book to sell.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options

Mine doesn't. That's why I avoid them both at this time.

eta: if you don't have blood sugar regulation issues, there's no reason to limit fruits eaten in reasonable amounts