Eating exercise calories back when you're very overweight

Options
2»

Replies

• bestbassist
    bestbassist Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I would have been so hungry that I would have looked at my furniture and thought 'gee, that might taste great with some ketchup on it' if I hadn't eaten most of my exercise calories back when I first started this. I was ravenous after workouts. It didn't keep me from losing either. Now that I've lost a bit of weight I can get away without eating as many back because I don't have as much body mass to feed. I think most people would be safe to eat them back at first, if they feel like they're starving. But if you're not so hungry that you are contemplating gnawing on your car tires or something, then there's no point in eating them back.
  • AmiC0717
    AmiC0717 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Because I also started at a heavy weight (265) I specifically spoke with my dietican and she told me in order to lose weight I needed to stay under 1400 calories period. That does not mean if I work out and burn 150 that I get 1550. Now once I get to maintenance phase that will be different. However - again this was a discussion for me and perhaps others won't agree. I do believe if you have a lot to lose you are right about the fat stores. If you are staying at a good calorie range, the burning of the excercise calories is a good thing.
  • GwennyH
    GwennyH Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    If I am hungry, I will eat back part of them (maybe half, maybe more)). If I'm not hungry, I don't. Part of this journey is listening to your OWN body and getting to know its needs. Best of luck to you!!!
  • Wol5894
    Wol5894 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    The one thing I DON'T believe most of the time is the number of calories MFP dictates I burn. I do, on occasion, eat SOME of my exercise calories back but mostly I don't. As another poster said, I might as well use the fat I have stored to provide the energy.

I have a fair bit to lose (118 lbs still to go) but I can't do much exercise due to disease and injury - cycling and swimming are about all I can do and even then I have to be careful, This means that I have to concentrate a lot on what I eat rather than how much I move, so I tend to ignore the exercise calories in favour of paying attention to the food side of things..
  • meghanp92
    Options
    Gotten some really great feedback! I do tend to eat more on the days I work out, but I really try not to to eat all/any of my exercise calories back. I don't feel hungrier than usual, really. I get what a lot of you are saying about needing to eat those calories back so you're not depriving yourself, but I really don't feel that way. I'd pay attention if I felt like I really needed to eat more!
  • electricmeow
    electricmeow Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Everyone has really great points. I think listening to your own body is what's best, though I am closer to team 'Eat 'Em Back'

What about the intensity of your exercise? Mind you, I'm "skinny" but the principle is still the same. Running versus walking for example, we walk all the time, our body considers it very close to routine. On the other hand, if you are running running running, you runners know you feel it all over your body. Sometimes it makes me have to poop so bad I have to stop at Walmart before home! (I know TMI! haha!!) When you run, your body takes on more of a survival fight or flight response...more blood flow toward abdomen, an abundance of hormones released, your bowels want to excrete so you'll be lighter. From what I hear, your body is questioning whether "survival mode" would be necessary. If you don't eat back at least some of your calories, I'd imagine your body would lower its metabolism. On the other hand, using exercise as a tool to eat more calories keeps your digestion strong and flowing.

I agree MFP overestimates exercise calories, but at least a fraction should be considered, especially if you are doing intense exercise.
  • ASDtwins
    Options
    This my second time around using MFP to track my calories. My experience after doing it for two years and losing over 140lbs was that the exercise calories were pretty close to actual. I am a large man 6'-3" and have a decent amount of muscle mass. When I run/cycle or do the boot camp style work outs that I prefer I am pretty certain that I am burning slightly more than the system says. Once you have developed muscle mass after you are done exercising your body still burns calories well after the activity has stopped. Also if you do not eat properly after your workout you can reduce your muscle. When I am starting out like I am now, I do not eat back my calories *much* I will eat say 10%... I'm just greedy like that, ha! But I know that after I have lost some weight I am not helping my overall fitness by starving my body. I may be a smaller size but I won't have the same strength and endurance. As for the kinds of foods I prefer as eat backs I try to get it as high protein meats and whey protein shakes.

If I eat pie (I love pie, and my wife makes the best pie) I do not consider it "free" there is no free...

Having said that, plateau's are a MFr
  • justkiesh
    justkiesh Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I've tried eating them back and not eating them back. When I eat them back I plateau, when I don't eat them I lose 1-2 lbs a week. So, I don't eat them. At most I might eat back up to 200 (of a 600+ burn) if I need the extra fuel. But most of the time I don't. I use an HRM so my calorie burn is pretty accurate.
  • mgobluetx12
    mgobluetx12 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    I think you should eat your exercise calories back only when your net is under 1200.

Also, MFP over-estimates calories burned (especially under the 'Circuit Training'), so I would be VERY careful eating them back if you're relying solely on MFP to count your calories burned.
  • beezipper
    beezipper Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Exercise doesn't just create a calorie deficit - it tones and conditions your heart, muscles, circulatory system, respiratory system - there are so many benefits for your body beyond just the "extra calories" you could eat if you wanted to. I would say to make sure you're not eating under your BMI, which is probably around 1800-2000 calories, but don't feel obligated to "eat" your exercise unless you are feeling weak. I was 298 pounds many years ago and I tried every solution from the lazy to the aggressive and finally found balance in counting calories and exercising (I am 212 pounds now and still working hard on it - struggling with food issues and body image issues, but it's so much better than it was years ago). You will find what works for you! :)
  • georgiapeach1965
    Options
    I know I'm replying to an older post, but wanted to comment on this topic. I definitely eat back my exercise calories. I have a heart rate monitor and use it to tell me how many calories I burn, so I just adjust the numbers when I find my exercise in MFP's database (i.e., spinning). Anyway, as everyone is stating, please listen to your own body. Everyone is so different. The more muscle you have, the more you are going to burn and continue burning throughout the day. Some days I feel like I'm hungry all day and that I'm going to black out if I don't eat all day long. Of course, these are small snacks and/or meals, but I usually eat about 6 times a day. I keep my calories lower than is indicated for me to lose weight. I keep them between the fat loss and extreme fat loss levels, but never go below around 1300 net calories. I did that the first week and thought I was going to die! I wasn't eating back my exercise calories and for me, that was not the way to go. Even though I have a desk job, I am up and down all day. Remember too, that your brain uses 20% of your daily calories, so if you are foggy feeling, you need to eat more. Your brain and body are fighting over the food you are eating. Eat enough, just don't eat too much. Again, it is very important to find your own balance, as has already been mentioned. Just remember that this is a WOL (way of life), NOT a quick fix. If you starve and binge, you will eventually get sick or give up and gain your weight back. Be balanced. Some days we are hungrier and some days we can go without. Some days we work out and some days we sleep in. I wish everyone the very best in your endeavors! :flowerforyou:
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    If I didn't, I'd be netting 900 per day.....not going to happen.
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    I think you should read this, it might put things in perspective for you to fully understand how the body works in regards to weightloss.

http://body-improvements.com/resources/eat/
  • CeCe_711
    CeCe_711 Posts: 35
    Options
    If I didn't, I'd be netting 900 per day.....not going to happen.

ditto, if i didn't eat mine back i'd #1 be starving and #2 i'd be eating around 900-1000 a day. yeah not an option. i exercise because i love to eat. the more i exercise the more i can eat :0)
  • michellechawner
    Options
    I didn't eat my exercise calls back originally. BIG MISTAKE. You're not netting enough fuel for your body.

I started eating some back, and the pounds came flying off.

MFP is designed so you eat them back - if you're not using the system properly, it won't work as well.

Also, MFP usually logs everyone at 1200 cals - I wasn't losing at 1200. I starting losing a ton at 1400. Calculate your RDEE - 15%/20% for a much better food plan.

Also, don't go off MFP calorie burns. They are extremely over estimated - invest in a fitbit, bodymedia, or heart rate monitor. MFP was overestimating my caloric burn by about 300-400 a day. That's a big difference, and once I figured that out as well as the TDEE method the pounds came off much quicker! (typically 1-1.5 a week)
  • Isakizza
    Isakizza Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    I can only speak of what I've done that works for me.

I DO eat back my workout calories, but only 50% of what it says I've burned. So if I burn 600 calories running, I'll eat 300 of that. I choose to do that to fuel my workouts and also... I don't like going hungry, lol.

It has worked nicely for me that way and I love it so far. I also had a lot of weight to lose, about 100 lbs.

SW: 242 lbs
    CW: 193 lbs

:smile:
  • leaellenj
    leaellenj Posts: 38
    Options
    I think part of it depends on where you are with your weight loss in part, and also how many calories you burn while exercising. If you're heavier, you probably don't need to eat them back and you will lose weight at a faster rate for awhile. Eventually this may not continue to work for you.

I'm training to run a marathon and can easily burn 1000-1500 during a training run and even more on my long runs. Obviously this is above and beyond the 300-400 most people will burn doing regular cardio. If I didn't eat most of my calories back, I probably wouldn't be able to get out of bed the next day.

However, I am a big believer that everyone should net at LEAST 1200 calories a day even with exercise and really, despite what the MFP calculators may tell us, I think that number is closer to 1400 or 1500 for most people.
  • dicoveringwhoIam
    dicoveringwhoIam Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    I don't eat my exercise calories back. I have found eating 3meals and 2-3 snacks daily has helped in weight lost. Good luck ;)