cant even eat fruit?

Options
1235»

Replies

• magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    curious how the body distinguishes between fruit from sugar and white sugar?

Fructose can only be handled by the liver. Recent research is finding out more and more about how fructose is linked to things like non-alcohol-related fatty liver disease, high triglycerides, etc. Glucose is digested differently from fructose. Table sugar is approximately 1/2 fructose/1/2 glucose.

Here's a news article reporting some of the recent findings: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/01/02/fructose-overeating-obesity-brain-imaging-_n_2395413.html

If you want some more links to the science let me know, but meanwhile this lecture will give you a good intro to the endocrinology.

And, no matter what the MFP naysayers or the corn industry would have you believe, this is not bro-science and it is not just one scientist.

Huff post is a lol source. Do you have anything to back up your claim?

Some recent 2012/2013 studies:

HFCS not linked to fatty liver disease

http://www.nrcresearchpress.com/doi/abs/10.1139/apnm-2012-0322#.UaPWA5G9KSN

Metabolic and behavioral effects of a high-sucrose diet during weight loss.

www.ajcn.org/content/65/4/908.full.pdf
    http://www.alanaragonblog.com/2010/01/29/the-bitter-truth-about-fructose-alarmism
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    Of course you can eat fruit. It's natural and good for you. Some fruits are better than others of course....

when-fruit-goes-bad.gif

Thank you so very much for this picture. I can't stop laughing. I boss just asked "Are you okay back there?"
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options

Fructose can only be handled by the liver. Recent research is finding out more and more about how fructose is linked to things like non-alcohol-related fatty liver disease, high triglycerides, etc. Glucose is digested differently from fructose. Table sugar is approximately 1/2 fructose/1/2 glucose.

Here's a news article reporting some of the recent findings: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/01/02/fructose-overeating-obesity-brain-imaging-_n_2395413.html

If you want some more links to the science let me know, but meanwhile this lecture will give you a good intro to the endocrinology: http://www.uctv.tv/shows/Sugar-The-Bitter-Truth-16717

And, no matter what the MFP naysayers or the corn industry would have you believe, this is not bro-science and it is not just one scientist.

No, but these studies are specifically discussing drinking fructose-laden beverages or consuming a diet consisting of extremely high proportions (over 50% in the ones I reviewed) of fructose -- not of consuming fruits as a reasonable proportion of your diet. (which MFP's sugar counter doesn't allow, if you're trying to stay under their numbers).
  • SJVZEE
    SJVZEE Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Unless you have an underlying medical condition, if it fits your nutrition goals for a day, go for it.

I worry the most about added sugars, like white sugar or high fructose corn syrup.

That's the thing, the body cannot distinguish between the two. Sugars occur naturally--they're made by plants through the process of photosynthesis--but they can also be made "artificially" by chemically modifying starches. Regardless of whether a sugar comes from nature or from the lab, your body processes it absolutely identically.

The last quote is spot on, your liver can't tell the difference and your liver can only hold so many sugar grams before the rest will get stored as fat.

Just because fruit is healthy doesn't mean it's a free food. And those smoothies aren't really that healthy for you because you are absorbing all the sugar since the fiber has been removed.

I get hammered every single time I recommend watching sugar levels, both natural and added but tracking sugar is important and trying to stay as close to MFP goals as possibles.

The biggest reason I say track and watch is because most of us got overweight from choosing sweets or savoury foods. I know it's the calorie count that matters most but if sugar was your downfall then tracking sugar is more important to you. Tracking is a learning tool. I do agree that MFP sugar levels are low but I believe that 50 grams a day is the recommended amount each day for all types of sugar.

Ultimately, each person should do their own research and not rely soley on a forum. Your decision should be based on scientific fact and not someone like me or someone saying don't track.

Can someone clarify on the smoothies-I thought if you put fresh fruit/veggies in a blender and made a smoothie the fiber is still there? Isn't juicing the process where the fiber is removed? Those are two totally different machines/drinks.
  • maegmez
    maegmez Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Unless you have an underlying medical condition, if it fits your nutrition goals for a day, go for it.

I worry the most about added sugars, like white sugar or high fructose corn syrup.

That's the thing, the body cannot distinguish between the two. Sugars occur naturally--they're made by plants through the process of photosynthesis--but they can also be made "artificially" by chemically modifying starches. Regardless of whether a sugar comes from nature or from the lab, your body processes it absolutely identically.

The last quote is spot on, your liver can't tell the difference and your liver can only hold so many sugar grams before the rest will get stored as fat.

Just because fruit is healthy doesn't mean it's a free food. And those smoothies aren't really that healthy for you because you are absorbing all the sugar since the fiber has been removed.

I get hammered every single time I recommend watching sugar levels, both natural and added but tracking sugar is important and trying to stay as close to MFP goals as possibles.

The biggest reason I say track and watch is because most of us got overweight from choosing sweets or savoury foods. I know it's the calorie count that matters most but if sugar was your downfall then tracking sugar is more important to you. Tracking is a learning tool. I do agree that MFP sugar levels are low but I believe that 50 grams a day is the recommended amount each day for all types of sugar.

Ultimately, each person should do their own research and not rely soley on a forum. Your decision should be based on scientific fact and not someone like me or someone saying don't track.

Can someone clarify on the smoothies-I thought if you put fresh fruit/veggies in a blender and made a smoothie the fiber is still there? Isn't juicing the process where the fiber is removed? Those are two totally different machines/drinks.

Sorry, meant juicing but a smoothie would still be high in sugar due to all the fruit in it.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    So many opinions with little to no results to back.

The issue is really confusing for those of us who are non-scientists yet are trying to keep up with the latest findings. The cutting edge scientists are divided on whether to role of fructose in the obesity epidemic is different from other carbohydrate consumption.

There is no downside to limiting your fructose consumption. There may be downsides to excess fructose consumption. The corn industry (aka the high fructose corn syrup industry) is heavily invested in promoting the safety of fructose and has influence on some scientists and supports a good deal of research. They, of course, are only interested in publicizing research that supports the safety of fructose.

Many times science finds new information that changes what we in the public "know as true." We should think of these complex things not as being true or false but rather as being known or unknown, certain or uncertain to various degrees.

I am an educated non-scientist who has decided, through reading some of the recent research, to err on the side of caution and keep my fructose consumption to a minimum. But there are leading endocrinologists on both sides of this issue just as physicists do not all agree on string theory and chemists and physicists differ on their approaches to cold fusion.
  • believe22
    believe22 Posts: 210 Member
    Options

It doesn't.
  • babyj0
    babyj0 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Of course you can eat fruit. It's natural and good for you. Some fruits are better than others of course....

when-fruit-goes-bad.gif

...but overall they are very healthy and good for you. I eat 4-5 servings a day and have lost quite a bit of weight.

As for the question about how the body can tell the difference between fruit sugar and processed stuff:

HAHAHAHAH @ the banana!
  • nessa2BFit
    nessa2BFit Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I eat fruit each and every day. I only go without if I am travelling long distances for work.

Also, my daily sugar allowance is usually over due to fruit, and it hasn't hindered my weight loss.

same here... i am always over on sugar do to fruits but have lost 80 lbs since january so figure it is not a bad thing!
  • SJVZEE
    SJVZEE Posts: 451 Member
    Options

Sorry, meant juicing but a smoothie would still be high in sugar due to all the fruit in it.

thanks for clarifying-I was very confused there for a minute :laugh: The only sugar I consume now is mostly from fruit/trace amounts in veggies etc. so I'm not worried about the fruit sugars in my daily green smoothies, since I'm within my calorie allotments :)
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    So many opinions with little to no results to back.

The issue is really confusing for those of us who are non-scientists yet are trying to keep up with the latest findings. The cutting edge scientists are divided on whether to role of fructose in the obesity epidemic is different from other carbohydrate consumption.

There is no downside to limiting your fructose consumption. There may be downsides to excess fructose consumption. The corn industry (aka the high fructose corn syrup industry) is heavily invested in promoting the safety of fructose and has influence on some scientists and supports a good deal of research. They, of course, are only interested in publicizing research that supports the safety of fructose.

Many times science finds new information that changes what we in the public "know as true." We should think of these complex things not as being true or false but rather as being known or unknown, certain or uncertain to various degrees.

I am an educated non-scientist who has decided, through reading some of the recent research, to err on the side of caution and keep my fructose consumption to a minimum. But there are leading endocrinologists on both sides of this issue just as physicists do not all agree on string theory and chemists and physicists differ on their approaches to cold fusion.

so your a non-scientist commenting on science? Interesting...
  • OhLeita
    OhLeita Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I'm no scientist and I won't Google up some research papers to back what I say.

I did, however, go into liver failure about nine months ago. Today I should be on the transplant list but I'm not. Given the option of taking pills, I opted to make food my medicine. For about six months I ate vegetables, fruit, small amounts of starches (potatoes or rice) and lean chicken/fish and nothing else. Almost no added salt, no red meat, no table sugar.

Just as fruit is often considered "just sugar" imagine someone in here posting they are on a low protein diet? Boggles the mind but there ya go. Too much protein and my liver doesn't work right which puts toxins in my blood stream. But fruit? I can eat all I want and usually aim for about 4 servings a day.
  • Dollfun1
    Dollfun1 Posts: 42 Member
    Options

This is something that I came across while doing some reading on sugars. I took a nutrition class a while back and this statement is in agreement with what we learned.

"All sugar is broken down into metabolic building blocks by your body whether it comes from milk, fruit or soda. There is a difference, however, in what the body is able to produce with the different types of sugar after breaking it down. Refined sugars have been shown to produce a rapid and high rise in blood glucose whereas sugar from most whole fruits produces a gradual rise in blood glucose, according to the University of Sydney. Whole fruits are also high in soluble fiber which slows the release of sugar into the bloodstream and they are packed with vitamin C, magnesium, potassium, and antioxidants." by Laura Anderson 2012