Does your childhood diet affect your eating habits?

Options

Replies

• saeede83
    saeede83 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Absolutely. We ate homecooked food every day. Our meals were well balanced with veggies, meat and carbs (rice or bread). We always had lots of fruit at home and my mom always served uncooked greens, and yogurt as a side to our meals.
    However what I always struggled with from childhood was portion control. I always wanted to eat as much as I could and that's why I'm here. I would say another reason that I was fat since childhood was lack of activity.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    It did.

Growing up my mom was a busy successful Realtor. We ate is ful service restaurants probably 4 nights a week. My dad and step mom were on a tight budget and dinner most of the time was some kind of pasta loaded, cheesy casserole or hamburger helper with canned veggies. The family would have a heaping bowl of ice cream EVERY NIGHT for dessert. My stepmom bought bread at the hostess outlet store so we always had a ton of hostess snacks too.

It's a miracle I wasn't huge until I hit 8th grade.. then through my senior year in high school my weight went up to about 230ish.

I eat much differently now. Meals at home are mostly clean and we eat out and have snacks in moderation..My son eats very well balanced meals. My parents are seriously stuggling with weight. They try to eat healthy with frilled meat and veggies but to them, potatoes with peppers and onions in a cup of EVOO , smothered in cheese, is a healthy side...
  • DenyseMarieL
    DenyseMarieL Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    Yes, it most definitely does! I grew up in a low income home, single parent, three kids. A large can of Chef Boyardee ravioli was a regular at our house for supper, because it was cheaper than buying the stuff to make a salad. Crazy, but true. A jug of milk was $3. An evelope of Koolaid which made just as much, was 12 cents. We had to make the money stretch.
    When I grew up and had kids of my own, I swore that there would always be healthy choices for them. Salad every night, fruit and veggies loaded in the fridge, no pop and sugary drinks. My kids are now almost moved out and they make smart choices for themselves.
  • mgreen10
    mgreen10 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Yes, I hear my parents' voice any time I pick up junk food or pre-made pre-packaged food. My parents raised us on home made, fresh, and simple food. They were very much against popular processed products. They also stressed the importance of eating a plant-centered diet. We grew up really poor - but our diets are something they NEVER sacrificed. This is why I feel a lot of responsibility to keep up what they started.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Maybe a little, to some degree. I am a different person from my mother. I cook and eat differently.
  • amsipub
    amsipub Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Before my weight loss, absolutely. But at the same time, once I started living on my own I started branching out from what I would eat when I was a child. I started trying new foods, and new cuisines. I've been on my weight loss journey successfully for the past year and a half and now much of what I eat doesn't reflect at all my childhood. The saving grace for me is that my parents never allowed soda in the home. But it was only until my weight loss journey did I stop having it completely (I used to have it when I went out to eat now it's just water, ice tea or lemonade). My DD is starting off with much healthier eating habits because of my lifestyle changes and I'm so proud of her. Does she eat everything I do right now? Nope, but then she will ask for us to go out to get a bean burrito rather than McDonalds. :)
  • Booksandbeaches
    Booksandbeaches Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    Definitely.

I grew up with parents who didn't buy soda (or pop if you're in the part of the country that calls it pop). Consequently, today I don't find soda delicious at all.

We also hardly used mayo. To this day, I can only tolerate mayo on certain foods and not others.

My parents were very healthy, make from scratch, kind of people. It was rare we had Kraft ma-n-cheese or hamburger helper type of food.

My issue with food wasn't pre-made or processed foods for I already wasn't eating those as an adult. My issue was with portion size for the good foods I was eating.
  • elainecroft
    elainecroft Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Yes. As a kid we ate very 'midwestern' - lots of casseroles, veggies from a can, etc. I later learned this was because my grandma cooked this way so it is what my mom learned. Both my mom and I now eat a lot differently - more flavors, variety, and freshness - but we still both gravitate towards 1-pan "stir fry" type dishes.

I've also noticed how differences crop up between me and my husband, or between us and our friends, when one of us is cooking dinner. I almost always substitute in recipes to make them healthier so I can eat more, but I have friends who always stick to the book and just eat less. My husband's family doesn't see anything wrong with having a meal of only carbs - making rice be a side for mac and cheese, or putting ungodly amounts of mayo in everything. I've pulled him over to the healthy side somewhat - he at least puts vegetables with the mac and cheese now :)
  • icimani
    icimani Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    "There are people in _______ who are starving, so clean your plate!" When I was growing up it was China.

I still have to fight the urge to feel like I need to eat everything on my plate even if I'm full.
  • jonnyman41
    jonnyman41 Posts: 1,032 Member
    Options
    growing up in the uk in the 70s on a low budget we did not have much in the way of treats, take aways, puddings, sweets or meals out so that helped and veg was a part of main mains but it was really boring food and very low standard! all veg and potatoes were pressure cooked to death and meat was usually the cheapest cuts such as belly pork, high fat mince etc... We also got served things like *kitten* (don't ask if you don't know what these are as you really don't want to know) the cheapest possible frozen burgers and other lovely stuff lol. Vegetables were limited to core British ones e.g carrots and peas and fruit was seen as a treat to enter the house no more than once a week and be devoured within minutes and not replenished!
    Despite all this myself and 3 brothers were all skinny throughout childhood and even today none of us are obese, though all of us are past being described as thin! I cook nothing like my parents at all, thankfully I learned to try new things many years ago from a good friend and slowly but surely expanded what I could make.

Strangely both parents are now very over weight with my dad being very obese. Their diet still consists of cooking things to death and they go for quantity rather than quality as they always did.
  • uneik3
    uneik3 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Absolutely affects the way I eat, and it's something I still struggle with to this day. My family came over from Cuba after it became communist, leaving a lot of extended family behind. When I was little, I would say I'm full, and my parents would always make me clean up my plate, telling me I had cousins in Cuba that didn't have any food and I couldn't waste it. It became so ingrained in the way I approached meals and food, never wanting to waste anything. I usually take leftovers home when I go out to eat, but if I'm not going straight home or can't take them with me, you can bet that I'll be trying to finish it off or talk myself out of it. Obviously I know better, but it still creates this huge congnitive dissonance that's hard to shake off.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    When I think about my childhood I become nauseated and don't want to eat, but that's about it.
  • mynameiscarrie
    mynameiscarrie Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    I think if affects my eating habits, but not in the way most have said. I wasn't really allowed junk food at all as a kid, so when I was able to make my own decisions, all I ate was junk. That obviously caused a problem. I've had to readjust to eating healthy foods any knowing that junk is ok in moderation.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options

I eat much differently now. Meals at home are mostly clean and we eat out and have snacks in moderation..My son eats very well balanced meals. My parents are seriously stuggling with weight. They try to eat healthy with frilled meat and veggies but to them, potatoes with peppers and onions in a cup of EVOO , smothered in cheese, is a healthy side...

It's not an unhealthy side. Maybe unbalanced a bit in terms of more fat than protein, but not necessarily bad at all.

The sort of "bad food" vs. "good food" mindset is exactly what I try to avoid with kids I've taught, watched, and hope to raise. Emphasis on nutrition and moderation is what I wish happened more often.
  • lauriem1966
    lauriem1966 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Never really thought about this before and its led to some insight about my own life...

My mum always cooked healthy foods and that's how I was raised, but my dad died when I was 9, she became depressed and started buying processed food because she was having trouble coping. I tend to reach for the crappy food when I'm down and it only makes me feel worse, but I definitely feel like its because of what I ate during the first real troubling time of my life.
  • ostrichagain
    ostrichagain Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    For the good, I was given an appreciation for flavor and vegetables.

For the bad, I was taught how to entertain and comfort myself with food.
  • wamydia
    wamydia Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Yes, absolutely.

I was raised in a household that was basically a food free-for-all. Eat as much as you want of whatever you want. We ate fast food almost every day and home-cooked meals were typically fried and high-calorie. Cookies and candy bars were available in abundance and if you wanted fruit or veggies that didn't come out of a can, you had to ask for them specifically.

Fast forward 30 years and I turned out to be a 300+lb adult who was still eating this way. The hardest thing for me was that, when I started trying to get healthy in my early 30's, I had to admit that I literally didn't even know HOW to eat right. I had to do a lot of research to learn how to eat healthy. To this very day, my weaknesses are a love of sweets and deep-fried greasiness. I have worked very hard to change my lifestyle and I think I've mostly been successful. But I have to keep an eye on what I'm doing or I can start slipping back into old habits without even realizing it.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Yep. As an adult, my mom's casseroles are still my favorite foods. =) I also crave the same treats as I did back then. But I do think a distaste or a like for certain foods is more up to the taste buds than if you grew up eating it. I love curry as an adult, but never had it as a child or even as a teenager.
  • BobMcCloskey
    BobMcCloskey Posts: 117
    Options
    To some degree yes. We grew up poor in a family of 4, 3 boys and a girl. The general, unspoken rule seemed to be, "He who finishes first, gets seconds!" To this day, when I watch my brothers "chow down" it is almost comical because we all tend to eat fast. Once I had a child of my own, the old "chew each bite 15 times before swallowing and you will feel more full after you're done eating" rule came into play. My "baby boy" is 15 now, 6'3", 180 lbs. and eats like a horse, so I am constantly reminding him to do this, because he eats a full meal, and 10 minutes later wants to eat something else! My wife used to tell me, "Slow down! No one is going to steal your food!"

On the other hand, no, I don't think so. I wrestled from the age of 5 to the age of 19. In high school, it was constantly "Bulk Up For Football" and then "Cut weight for wrestling." Twice a week I was always trying to lose 2 or 3 lbs right before a match. And of course, right after the match I would eat like I described my son eating, above!

In summary, I don't eat fast, and I no longer lose and gain, gain and lose in the seasonal cycles as I did back then.
  • shortmomma81
    Options
    Not at all. I grew up in a Mexican household with women that actually LOVE to cook a lot of unhealthy food. It's always your choice. If you make excuses, the most frequent one I hear from over weight women is, "It's in my 'genes' I can't help it". That's a load of BS. I studied to be a nurse, it's not in your genes, it just takes some people more effort than others.