What are some HEALTHY choices if eating fast food??

Options
The weekend is here and I am gone basically all day on the weekends, which means usually going thru the drive thru or out to eat..
I have lost 8 pounds ( 5.4 since joining on here)...I am doing so well and getting in "the zone" so I don't want to stray..I could gain that weight back in ONE bad day!! ugh..
Any suggestions (besides Subway), of healthier choices on the fast food menus??

Replies

• kayleigh333
    Options
    A chicken salad deli sandwich from Mcdonalds is 350 calories, really nice and filling. Just make sure you don't get the fries with it!
  • arsenal45
    arsenal45 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Applebee's is OK, as long as you like steamed veggies as a side.
    Also don't be fooled by Buffalo's Southwest Cafe's corn on the cob. ITS NOT GRILLED, they DEEP FRY it!. I asked about it once and the waitress said "we're not supposed to tell people this, but we put it in the deep-fryer."
  • xnoruk
    Options
    If it's only in moderation, there's no reason for you not to treat yourself to one "bad" meal once in a blue moon.

You could just have other healthy stuff thoughout the day to make up for it.

Most large fast-food chains have the nutritional content posted on their websites, so have a look to see what you actually want!

Martin.
  • 1Steph1
    1Steph1 Posts: 145
    Options
    Why dont you pack a healthy lunch and some snacks and keep it in a cooler in your car, or make something that wont go bad:) There are healthiER choices when eating out but its all processed junk and still not the best thing you could be eating. Hope it works out well for you!
  • Syreeta6
    Syreeta6 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Chic-fil-a chargrilled chicken sandwich, and a small fry if necessary
  • disnyfan
    disnyfan Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Why dont you pack a healthy lunch and some snacks and keep it in a cooler in your car, or make something that wont go bad:) There are healthiER choices when eating out but its all processed junk and still not the best thing you could be eating. Hope it works out well for you!

Agreed since you know you will be gone!! So worth doing it this way......:glasses:
  • otpeds
    otpeds Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    You can research almost any restaurant on this site(really great if you have a smart phone) but if you don't have a smart phone, just go on MFP before you leave the site, type in the name of the restaurant and make decisions about what you are going to eat before you get there...you don't even have to look at the menu and get tempted. My husband has been amazed at what we find on this site!! Eating out is a challenge for me but I find if I make up my mind before I go it is easier to choose. If it's something that has too many calories, share with someone or ask for a to-go box when you order and put half away as soon as your meal comes. Good Luck!!!!
  • ladyofivy
    Options
    There are salads almost anywhere. But here's a cool list if you need it:

http://www.drgourmet.com/health/fastfood/

It's got some surprising info, actually. :smile: Good luck!
  • ebert5150
    ebert5150 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Subway can be decent if you pick the right sandwich and the right size. I also like panda express...lot of salt but they have healthy options and you can skip the noodles and white rice and get veggies. Not sure if what you mean "healthy". Are you looking for low cal and good for you or just low cal?
    Another poster mentioned just eating where you want but having less. I do this once in a while. Here in California we have a fastfood place called "Fatburger". I love eating there but I don't go more than once a week and I know I have the calories for it. I go to the gym 60-90 minutes a day because I like to eat more :smile:
  • DanOhh
    DanOhh Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    Taco Bell's Fresco tacos aren't too bad.
  • ilikeredlipstick
    Options
    mcdonalds southwest salad with grilled chicken isn't bad at all if you get the balsamic dressing!
  • nanmosta1
    Options
    Taco Bell carnitas fresco taco are good and lo in calories, Chick fila grilled chicken sandwich is good, I alwaysget stuck taking the grandkids to McDonalds so I get a kids meal there, chicken nugget, not the best but lower in calories, also any of those mexican grills have lo-cal taco meals, and if you have Rumbi's Island grill they have amazing salads
  • MaureenH39
    MaureenH39 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    tagging for later
  • Jenks
    Jenks Posts: 349
    Options
    "we're not supposed to tell people this, but we put it in the deep-fryer."

That's just horrible that they would purposely keep that info from their customers :grumble:
  • Sandeee
    Sandeee Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I love Wendys, their chili is good and low cal and you can also get a side salad......You can find nutritional facts on any chains online. It's worth the time, you would be surprised at the calories that these salads have!
  • TammyK777
    TammyK777 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    There are salads almost anywhere. But here's a cool list if you need it:

http://www.drgourmet.com/health/fastfood/

It's got some surprising info, actually. :smile: Good luck!

Great info! Thanks!
  • Beth720
    Beth720 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    Subway can be decent if you pick the right sandwich and the right size. I also like panda express...lot of salt but they have healthy options and you can skip the noodles and white rice and get veggies. Not sure if what you mean "healthy". Are you looking for low cal and good for you or just low cal?
    Another poster mentioned just eating where you want but having less. I do this once in a while. Here in California we have a fastfood place called "Fatburger". I love eating there but I don't go more than once a week and I know I have the calories for it. I go to the gym 60-90 minutes a day because I like to eat more :smile:

I'm not in CA and have never been to Fatburger, but I agree...I'm really trying not to deny myself foods while losing weight - it's all about portion size and/or saving the things I really want for the days I'm burning it up calorie-wise and have a ton of exercise calories to eat. (Yep...2 solid weeks of losing 4 pounds has convinced me that eating the exercise calories - well, most just to be safe - is the way to go! :smile:
  • ktbug1186
    Options
    Do any of you guys have a Cheddars? I've looked all over the internet for some nutritional info on it and can't find any anywhere!! I never know what to get!:frown:
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    SUBWAY, EAT FRESH!!! Sooooooooo healthy with piles of veggies and filling! Sodium can be a little high but the chicken breast one is really low on sodium. The chicken breast one is part of the $5 foot long deals in the USA but is part of the premium sub deals for $8.99 here in Canada so I live with the sodium of a ham sandwich just for a good deal, lol! I only buy my lunch like once a month so no biggie.

There are more Subway restaurants than McDonalds (at least in Canada) and I've seen many in the USA on vaca so it shouldnt be a problem finding one.

EDIT: Ok you said BESIDES Subway, my bad. Forget it all, go Subway!
  • islandnutshel
    islandnutshel Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    Wendy's salads actually taste fresh and you can always request a low fat dressing. I don't add the dressing unless the salad get's boring, but usualy there is enough moisture and yummy ingredients that I don't use it. If I am hungry I will get a baked potato and use my low fat ranch dressing from my salad to flavor it.

Because I am gluten free, my husband has gotten used to an alternative fast food. I stop at a grocery store that has healthy deli options and we will pick out bean/potato/greek salads, rice crackers, fruits and cheeses, roast chicken..... It usualy costs less and tastes better. Then we picknick at a park with our dog.