keith_w61
keith_w61 Posts: 20 Member
Does coffee for your water intake? :smile:

Replies

• stefjc
    stefjc Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    Yes. Any liquid or wet food does.

And don't let anyone sell you any 'coffee dehydrate you' tut!
  • jk_proonps3
    Options
    Personally I dont although I do count tea.

That said I would suggest getting at least 2 -3 litres a day espically (sp?) now during the summer and with any exercise routine!
  • HacheraTsarine
    HacheraTsarine Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Read this : http://www.discovergoodnutrition.com/2012/09/plain-water-get-your-8-glasses-a-day/

it confirms what was said above and will give you more information about it.
  • pushyourself14
    pushyourself14 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I only log water for water intake.
  • Hezzietiger1
    Hezzietiger1 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    I count it!
  • moskalykck11
    Options
    Well sure. Anything you eat with water in it counts, and that's about everything.

Coffee and tea are also diuretics as well. Diuretics cause you to excrete more water as well. So if you drank coffee and tea exclusively you would need to intake more water to counteract the diuretic effects. For every coffee you consume, you require 2 extra glasses of water to compensate.

Soup or any other salty food count as water as well, but their high sodium count, again causes your body's water carrying capacity to rise, therefore you need more water to stay properly hydrated.

Fruit on the other hand is probably the perfect source of dietary water, high in vitamins and minerals and low in sodium.

In order to improve your diet and lose weight or tone, try to "Eat more water" so eating foods high in water content such as fruit and vegetables.

I hope I could help.
  • tbgree00
    tbgree00 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Personally I don't count mine. When I drink water I feel refreshed afterward and I don't get that feeling with coffee. I think it's a personal preference as much as anything.
  • ScatteredThoughts
    ScatteredThoughts Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options

Coffee and tea are also diuretics as well. Diuretics cause you to excrete more water as well. So if you drank coffee and tea exclusively you would need to intake more water to counteract the diuretic effects. For every coffee you consume, you require 2 extra glasses of water to compensate.

Incorrect.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/caffeinated-drinks/AN01661
  • thisismeraw
    thisismeraw Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options

This part is incorrect... unless you are drinking a pot of coffee a day. A few cups of coffee or tea will not dehydrate you. You do not need to consume two extra glasses of water for every coffee you drink. Even at levels where the coffee or tea will start to dehydrate you, their hydrating effects are still higher than the amount they will dehydrate you.

Count any drink (minus alcohol) as water. Log any calories that comes with it as well.
  • GoMizzou99
    GoMizzou99 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Which counts as water?
    ...cool clear pristine filtered water while munching on coffee beans ... or coffee?
    ...cool clear pristine filtered water while munching on gummy bears ... or soda?

Before you let the debate that always follows on this topic confuse you, do what you think is best for you. Then you know it will be right.
  • stefjc
    Options
    May I say it now?

I told you so.

Why do so many people still believe that? And post it without comment when previous posts ahve directly challenged the truth of it?
  • TheEffort
    TheEffort Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    I log my water as "water" to help me keep track of my hydration intake...other beverages I add to my daily calorie intake.

8488541.png
  • Nimrod2010
    Nimrod2010 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    When I drink my coffee it gets logged just as any other beverage. My water count is for water only. I wondered the same but realized that I don't log water with my breakfast, lunch & dinner so the fine people here must have wanted to keep the water separated for a reason. Since they track all of the nutrition and amounts, it would not be that much harder for them to track how much water was in your coffee to track & total.
  • Chrisplayer136
    Chrisplayer136 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Yes I count coffee as water intake
  • RebeccaHite
    RebeccaHite Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    NO IT IS NO LONGER WATER
  • SRB8710
    SRB8710 Posts: 90
    Options
    I always wondered this too but at the end of the day I log all my creamer and what I used for my coffee and only put water in the water log. I don't freak out too much if I only had 6 glasses that day if I know I had other stuff to drink. I agree that it is a personal decision and people log differently. As long as you log actual calories I say do what you want! :)
  • stefjc
    Options
    I log my water as "water" to help me keep track of my hydration intake...other beverages I add to my daily calorie intake.

8488541.png

I get stuck between the two as all of my beverages are zero kcal. So I tend to log coffee and track my rooibus tea as water.

I don't remember the logic behind that decision any more :)
  • ken_hogan
    ken_hogan Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    NO IT IS NO LONGER WATER

How is it no longer water???
  • stefjc
    Options
    NO IT IS NO LONGER WATER

Huh? Is there an alchemist at work?
  • keith_w61
    keith_w61 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Thanks to all for your interesting replies. I knew that coffee was not really a diuertic, as I often drank nothing but coffee (it was joked at work that I should be hooked up to a coffee IV line:) ) and if it was then I should have died of dehydration years ago (unless beer counts as hydration). I was really just wondering what everyone else did.