Who here has a gym membership?

Options

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,668 Member
    Options
    Luckily for me I haven't had to pay for a gym membership for 25 years now. Instruction has it's benefits. But my current gym is one I really enjoy because of all the different types of people. From athletes to elderly, from obese to thin.

LifestyleRX in Livermore CA.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    I go to 24 Hour Fitness. I pay $19 a month. It has everything I need, and I like having a lot of options, I was working out at home but I really prefer to work out at the gym, completely different vibe. There are some really nice and helpful people there too. They have seen me dragging my 300+ lb butt in there and I have definitely gotten support.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    I go to anytime too ..I like the one that I go to, but have noticed that some of the other ones are not so great; then again, sometimes I go to some in a different town and I am like damn, this place is top notch. I do love that if I am on a business trip for work that I can find one and go to it...
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    I am a member of my local YMCA and I totally love it!
  • wizzyocean
    wizzyocean Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I have a lovely gym about a 30 second walk from my apartment, however, it's too pricey for me - monthly membership is around £50 ($77) - so I therefore workout at home.
  • bylgjasig90
    Options
    I have a membership in a gym called Elixia (wich probably doesn't matter since i live in Norway , hehe:)
    but i love it , go there about 5-6 times a week, and there is a sauna in the dressing room wich i LOVE!
    plus access to a spa. i would totally rate my gym 5 stars :)
  • Majorette2015
    Options
    We recently joined Planet Fitness and it was pretty much just to get my husband and teenage son more active. I am content to work out at home with the elliptical, treadmill, gazillion workout videos/Fitness Blender, light weights/resistance bands and run.

We like it there and I count any workout I do there as extra since we generally go in the evenings, but I work out every morning at 5am. I will also occasionally go to meet with a couple friends to work out with them.

$10 a month...the price is great and we aren't looking to become body builders or heavy lifters, just toning up and getting cardio in, so it is perfect.

My only complaint would be regarding the bikes. The seats are a hard foam and I have discovered that they trap some nasty odors...none of which belong to me. :sick: No bike workouts there for this gal. :indifferent:

I agree completely!!! Also a PF member!
  • amberlykay1014
    amberlykay1014 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    I just joined Anytime Fitness this week and I do like it. From what I understand, these gyms are franchised, so they are are very different in what they offer. I think it's a bit expensive, considering there are no classes/pool, but I probably wouldn't do those things anyway. As the name implies, they are really open any time and the atmosphere there is nice. I've already had two guys help me out when I had questions about machines.
  • jamielynas
    jamielynas Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    i do now, but I used my own home gym for the first 2 years I trained and loved it
  • mlogantra76
    mlogantra76 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    My husband and I have a YMCA membership. We actually do not use the pool but chose the "Y" for its classes. My husband and I do several different classes together and love it(cardio and strength training). Its really motivating for us and worth the money. I rarely use the cardio equipment as I prefer to run outside. We have a dumbbell set at home so we occasionally do that. Our Y is very close to where we live.
  • maQmIgh
    maQmIgh Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I'm a member from Everyone Active gyms... I have 2 in my area 1 less than a mile away from me (Hate it, you walk in and feel unwelcome from the get go. most people that go to it are the people that want to maintain the sheer physique)... the 2nd is about 3 miles from me (I LOVE THIS ONE) everyone is so friendly there
  • kathyt08069
    kathyt08069 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I have a spare bedroom with a bike and treadmill. I also have my own hand weights and plenty of exercise DVD's. It is easier for me to just step into my room to exercise instead of driving to the gym. I can exercise before work then shower and start my day.

I use to work for a company that had a gym on site for their employees and I did use that everyday on my lunch hour. It was great and I lost a lot of weight. Decide what works best for you. I like to exercise alone so my current set up works best. If you like to work out with others or enjoy taking classes then by all means use a gym. Pick one you are comfortable with and is near by.
  • AndiGirl70
    AndiGirl70 Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    Joining a gym was the best thing I've done for myself. I have a membership to the Buffalo Athletic Club for Woman. It is a woman only gym that offers tons of classes and a variety of cardio and weight equipment. I never have to wait to use any of it and the trainers are always helpful and encouraging. PLUS its 5 minutes from home so it guarantees my *kitten* gets there and sweats.
  • rosesxforthexdead
    Options
    I had a membership to 24 hour Fitness and I loved it. I had to cancel it though because it was crazy expensive. $30 a month is way too steep for my budget. Now I just work out at home.
  • Nouurann
    Nouurann Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I have a membership at both LA fitness and Health Trax, and i LOVE LA fitness. I just have health trax as well because I work far from home, and while LA fitness is close to home, health trax is close to work, so I never have an excuse to not go. I've never tried the classes. Which ones are effective?!
  • Booksandbeaches
    Booksandbeaches Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    Just curious, who here has a gym membership? What gym is it to? How do you like your gym? I have a membership to Anytime Fitness, from the workout equipment and classes to the people who go to my gym, i love everything about it! I've been taking a cardio class and it has really been helping me get in shape, I totally recommend taking one if it is offered at your gym!
    --- Feel free to add me! :D

I actually belong to two gyms. One is totally free because of the employer who has access to it. It's huge. It has two basketball courts, racquetball court, about 75,000 square feet of exercise space and just about every workout equipment you can think of including a rock wall. It basically looks like one of those fancy gyms you would see in New York City or L.A.

The other place I belong to is the local YMCA. It's much smaller, but more intimate in how everyone knows everyone. It doesn't have all the bells and whistles of the bigger gym, but is far more family oriented and much much closer to my home. We pay something like $50 for a family membership and we get our money's worth.
  • cindydownes
    cindydownes Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I go to Gold's Gym. Last time I lost weight, I went to Golds Gym and lost 60 pounds. Unfortunately, I quit going and gained it all back. So, now I'm doing it again. I love Gold's Gym EXCEPT for their cancellation problems. It took several months before they quit taking the money out of my account. I did get the money back, finally, but it was frustrating. So this time, I paid a year in advance with no auto payments. That took care of that. I love the gym, the classes, the equipment, but especially the pool!
  • TigerBite
    TigerBite Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Not anymore ... I lost the ability to drive a few years ago (genetic eye condition called Stargardt's) and it was difficult to get there ... I had/have a bunch of workout equipment at home already (stationary bike, eliptical, treadmill, free weights, pilates reformer. heavy bag, free weights ... had a leg press and some other more "manly" gym stuff but my brother took that stuff when he bought his first house) ... I liked going for the classes they offered, the pool, the sauna (miss that, though the spa/salon I go to rents space in the gym, so when I go to get my nails done I sneak a few minutes in the sauna after, lol) and being around other people who were also working out was motivating ... That being said, I have come to enjoy being able roll out of bed and go down into my basement and workout (That fact that I can do it anytime makes life a lot easier) ... Plus, I can wear (or not wear, lol) whatever I want to workout ... I can grunt and sing along with my iPod, curse or whatever and nobody is there to look at me funny ... :)

I'm also lucky in that my neighborhood is a perfect oval (I live on the cul de sac in the middle of the oval), and is almost a perfect half mile for one time around the block ( about 0.56 miles), with a nice hill built in (when I run or walk I go in the direction that takes me up the hill, duh) ...

ETA: Oh, and I don't have to worry about any one else's (strangers at least) germs or sweat, lol!
  • blessedmomof3girls
    blessedmomof3girls Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I got a gym membership just a couple of weeks ago. I really enjoy it! It's not a big chain gym, it's actually home town owned and operated. They have every piece of equipment I could ever need really. Plus an included daycare, pool and saunas. They have awesome classes 6 days a week, that mix it up a lot. Mixtures of Zumba, Pilates, Piyo, Turbofire, Ab classes, and a few more. Always mixing it up for me so that I can feel like I get more out of my experience. Helpful instructors, and coaches. It's a great place to be. I live in a smaller house, so there's not a way I can combine my living space with the type of equipment that I would want to use to help get fit. To me its been a heaven sent purchase, and also a great way to get my family more motivated into fitness! They always want to go with mom, go swimming at the pool, work out in my cardio classes with me, and I even got my hubby to join so we can spend some time pool side without the kids!
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,153 Member
    Options
    I have a membership at LA Fitness, and have been generally pleased. I am fortunate in that my preferred workout times are not the same as the rest of my area's preferred times, so the gym is usually fairly empty when I go. I've been living away from home for the last few months for work, so I haven't been able to go recently, but I am looking forward to being able to lift again when I get back. I also like having access to the yoga classes for those rare days where I really feel the need for it.