PCOS weight-loss input..

Options

Replies

• GlutenFreeWench
    Options
    my pcos flares...to the point that I gain hundreds of pounds.

What you say? yes. I think the max is 120 pounds in a year.

Then, I'll add back in water, exercise, sleep (still not well obviously), and low carbs- or simply more vegetables- and the weight will come off.

Honestly, exercise has always been my biggest key.

I wasn't diagnosed until my mid to late 20s and always wondered what the heck was wrong with me...
  • bgh707
    bgh707 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS as well, and low-carb has always worked best for me.
  • toadoftoadhall
    toadoftoadhall Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Just looking at the amount of weight people in this thread have lost has inspired me to stop moping and try again.

I lost 20lb a couple of years ago with a low gi diet and lots of exercise but I have been lazy and it has all come back. I'm off all my medication at the moment for a couple of months so I can get new blood tests done and my acne etc is awful. So embarrassing. Has weightloss helped anyone with hair, skin etc problems? (When I lost the weight I tried coming off meds but acne and hair growth got really bad again despite running 5-10km a day and having a Bmi of 21, so I gave up).

Please post more inspiring stories.
  • chrimsonfyre
    chrimsonfyre Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I too have PCOS, a pretty drastic case of it. Once they put me on 1000mg of metformin daily and I got more serious about how I eat and exercise, I've found the inches and weight is finally moving. It's slow, but it is coming off, I just have to be patient.
    Have you talked to your doctor about what you might need to do to help get the weight off? I've found eating a Paleo type diet really helps as well, staying away from processed foods and complex carbs, since our bodies have a hard time digesting those things.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    What works best for me is portion control and to remove all sugared/caloric drinks (besides alcohol)
  • sabinabeg
    sabinabeg Posts: 1
    Options
    Im 22 years old and have had PCOS since the age of 18... very sad. I was not serious at first, didn't even bother me slightly but as years have gone past my weight has increased. I became really depressed until last month, I went to my doctor and explained that I am on a strict diet and exercise but its so hard to lose weight,. She prescribed me with ORLISTAT 120mg, which you take 3 times a day with each meal containing fat, it has side effects but OMG I have lost 5kg in 3 weeks that's 10pounds nearly a stone. Please be aware tat you have to change ur lifestyle though, DONT BE LAZY anyone can do it!! Cut out carbs and fatty food eat healthily but don't deprive ur body of everything, do treat it sometimes and do regular exercise. I have a treadmill at home and also I follow youtube videos 15minute cardio workouts, really helps. I hope this helped everyone and I will keep u updated on my journey! good luck x
  • SugarNtheRaw
    SugarNtheRaw Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Be patient, which, with me is really hard. I've hard PCOS since I was eleven, my highest weight was around 370, and it's taken me THREE YEARS to lose 100lbs. I recommend a ton of fruits and veggies, I really don't eat much processed food anymore, even though I love it... Hardly ever any soda, and every now and then, I do a fruit and veggie week. Nothing but fruits, veggies and nuts/seeds that are not salted. I also eat a lot of beans. I used to lift, and that helped, but now I'm mostly running & walking. GOOD LUCK, LOVELY!
  • courtney3988
    courtney3988 Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I am 25 I have always been on a on and off again diet but since being on here i watch what i eat and exercise. I have lost a lot. Some days i have no energy to exercise or do anything is that a part of PCOS and does any one else have that problem?
  • donyellemoniquex3
    donyellemoniquex3 Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    PCOS victim since 15 y/o

needed to have my ovaries removed at 20 y/o
  • astra85
    astra85 Posts: 2
    Options
    IM 28 I HAVE PCOS HAVE BEEN KNOWING NOW TWO YEARS AT FIRST BEING TREATED I LOST A TON OF WEIGHT BUT THEY I HAVE TO HAVE A HYSTERECTOMY LAST OCT. 2012 AND SINCE BEEN GAINING 1 TO 1 1/2 LBS AWEEK IM INSULIN RESISTANCE FOUND OUT CURRENTLY THEY JUST UPED MY METFORMIN BUT I STILL HAVE A HARD TIME WITH THE WAIT I EXCERISCE 5 DAYS A WEEK PLUS WORK FULL TIME AND CHASE AFTER KIDS ALL EVENING I HAVE 3. I BARELY EAT AS IT IS IM HITTING A BOUT 1000 CALORIES A DAY SOME TIME ALIL MORE SOMETIMES LESS. I JUST DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO ANY MORE. I WAS REALLY SURPRISED TO SEE SO MANY LIKE ME PLEASE FEEL FREE TO ADD ME I THINK ITS IMPORTANCE TO LEAN ON SOMEONE THAT GETS IT

SABRINA
  • Joyfulbounty
    Options
    Hi all,

Thanks all for sharing! This is really inspiring knowing that I'm not the only one dealing with this. And to read that others have lost as much as 180 lbs with PCOS just motivates me more! So thank you for that!

I also have PCOS and am about 180 lbs overweight. I'vebeen trying to lose weight for months now with no such luck (other than about 5 lbs). I have chaged my diet drastically, have green smoothies daily, quit smoking and do 5 mile bike rides 2-3 a week. I am not on Metformin but will be asking my doctor about it next visit. I'm thinking I might need to bump up the exercise and further restrict my diet.

My question to those who have cut sugar from their diet, how severe did you go with that? Did you just eliminate desserts and candy? Or did you get rid of rice, fruit and breads (even whole grains)?

Thanks!
  • Mimimay92
    Mimimay92 Posts: 8
    Options
    I am 21 and was diagnosed with PCOS when I was 16 when I had a large ovarian cyst removed. The cyst was pretty big and it wrapped itself around my left ovary cutting off the blood supply, the surgeon had to remove the ovary too unfortunately. Since then I have been on the pill non stop and last year I switched to the contraceptive implant to regulate my hormones.

I have always been fat, and my weight peaked this year at 196lbs. Despite this I have aways tried to keep on top of my weight and I have done several 10ks which have been so difficult carrying this extra weight, I sometimes put on weight as a result of running which is totally disheartening. I even was prescribed Orlistat and cut all fat from my diet for two weeks, and despite the nasty side effects, the scales didn't budge a single ounce!! I'm currently on Day 12 of the 30 day shred and have seen zero results, I really am losing hope. I really struggle to motivate myself after constantly seeing no difference.

I find these stories so inspiring but then get really down about my own weight problems and failures, do any of you have any advice for weightloss please?
  • aflowers85
    Options
    Wow, it's nice to know there are so many women on here! I seriously don't eat much, but kept gaining weight. I was diagnosed in March of this year. And started Metformin in May. Now I'm trying to really get serious about what to do.
    It's hard for me to do serious cardio exercises because I have severe shin splints where even walking for too long hurts. So that means I have to either join a gym to use an elliptical machine or join my local aquatic center. Both of which are not in the budget right now. I can do strength training though. From what I'm reading, adopting a low carb or low gi diet seem to help.
  • GlutenFreeWench
    Options
    I wish I knew the secrets...because it's something I'm always struggling with...
  • Ccole90
    Ccole90 Posts: 7
    Options
    Metformin has been my life saver. I am struggling with PCOS and yes it is very hard to get the weight off, but if you go by a PCOS diet, it helps a lot.
  • toney35
    toney35 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hello, I have been a mfp user for 80 days, I was diagnosed with pcos 12 years ago, I have lost 20 pounds without meds. in the past 80 days, I have walked 4 miles, lifted weights,and been swimming, my beginning weight was 280, I am at 260 now, and my goal 130, I have a long way to go, but looking forward to continuing my journey, I did go to the dr recently, and told him, I had came to a plateau, with the weight loss, so he has put me on a fluid pill, and met xr. today was my first day. Good luck to everyone on this journey, I am so glad that we have a place to come and encourage one another on this journey, feel free to add me :)
  • oliveme79
    oliveme79 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    PCOS is a crazy cluster of a beast. Depression, weight issues, unwanted hair, and acne. An then of course all of the health related issues with high propensity towards heart health, diabetes, and infertility. According to womanshealth.gov, 1 in every 10 females live with PCOS. On the Wikki, I discovered that the earliest record of a woman presenting with PCOS-like symptoms could be found in Italy in 1721. We are not alone and this monster has been haunting women for centuries.

I was diagnosed with PCOS as a teen in high school. I remember being in the school play at the same time my body invited a visit from the flo 2-3 times a month. I just thought I was stressed out. My took me to the doctor where blood was draw, my frequent periods maps, and questions about my sexual behavior and underparts came rapidly. I remember having that alien looking scope inserted inside me while images of the black string of pearls appeared on the screen. From there I was sent to an endocrinologist, an old school doctor, who informed me that I must keep my weight in check and avoid the "axe handle-wide rear end syndrome". My Doctors treated me by putting me on BC and spironolactone and sent me on my way. This entire time there was no mention of PCOS; I didn't have a name to affix to this beast inside me.

It was only years later, while in college, that my GP attributed my odd menses to my PCOS. And with a bit of research the light when on. All of the struggles I had with my body fit nicely into this new package. It finally had a name.

As I've gotten older I've seen an increase in the hirsutism and weight gain. I'm now on 2000mg Metformin and 100 mg Spironolactone daily. The Spiro is a new addition after having been off it for a decade or so. With PCOS each time you life changes, so to does your medication. Relationship status, income, change in location and practitioner. So I cannot remember why Spiro was missing from my life for such a long time, but I'm glad she's come into the fold again.

Realizing that my birthdays keep coming and someday soon I would like to have a family of my own, I went to see an Endocrinologist for the first time since high school (I'm soon to be 35). This time she was female and sensitive to my concerns and need for information. She understood my frustration with acne, facial hair, and ongoing struggle with weight. She had labs done and suggested I add Spironolactone to aide in PCOS treatment. I have since experience a decrease in appetite and no longer have strong cravings for starch, all an added benefit.

This spring I will become and aunt for the first time. And I want to be ready. A healthy, happy, and a stronger aunt. So I am posting publicly my plan for the next 6 months.

1. Fitbit my way to 10k a day or more (I love my Fitbit!)
    2. Listen to 2-3 books a month while walk, feeding my body and my mind
    3. Twice a week gymbershiping (that friendship that won't let you say, "not to day" ) with my friend Sarah
    4. Continue to record what I eat with MFP and keep within a healthy calorie intake
    5. Continue soda-free (2 months and counting)
    6. Set goals and reward myself along the way
    7. Bring my lunch to work along with an afternoon sweet-tooth snack
    8. Celebrate every success and learn from every misstep
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Are you insulin resistant? I am and have been on Metformin for years. Once I really got serious about losing weight, the Metformin made it possible (when I seriously tried in the past, before Met, I just didn't lose much at all).

The other thing I've found an absolute requirement is exercise. An absolute must for me.

I have tried a low GI diet before and it did nothing but make me unhappy. So I don't limit my carbs.

This.....have to be very serious about it and put in mega effort and the weight will come off...nice job!
  • toscarthearmada
    toscarthearmada Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    LOW CARB!

I have PCOS and Insulin resistance and low carb has been the only thing to help me. I was diagnosed with both in April of 2012 and started following a "Link and Balance" diet where I learned how to properly proportion and what to eat. I stick to a 7 protein to 15 carb ratio that doesn't exceed 15 protein to 30 carbs at any meal.

I was also put on Metformin during this time and if you do not follow low carb, metformin will make you so sick.

By my 4th month of my life style change, I had cured my Insulin Resistance and became fertile again.

PCOS is not a death sentence but you really need to watch what you eat. If you need any information or food ideas, please feel free to add me as a friend. =)
  • JennFoo30
    Options
    So is a nutritionist really helpful? How long did you have to go before you started seeing value in visiting a nutritionist?