Favourite Slang/Local Sayings

Options

Replies

• LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    I don't know if this is local or widepsread, but I'll spell it the way it sounds.

"Omunna"

As in
    Omunna go to the store, do you want me to bring you anything?

or the shortened version "Ima" as in
    Ima be right back.
  • KarenECunningham
    KarenECunningham Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    My sweet father who is now deceased was originally from Oklahoma and his mom was from Missouri so I am not sure where these originated. He would say "I feel like I'm walkin in tall cotton" which meant he was feeling happy, content or blessed. He said 'hogwash' (nice word for bull sh**t) when he thought something was untrue or a bunch of bull. Instead of saying a lot of something he would say a mess a, "Well we gotta mess a beans comin up in the garden" And as you can see he dropped 'g' at the end of a lot of his words. He was funny, talented and probably the best father anyone could ask for. By the way, until the day he died (age 80) we all called him Daddy.:flowerforyou:
  • Beebee78
    Options
    I'm from Suffolk in the UK and there are lots of sayings here. I don't really have an accent myself as I moved around a lot as a child, but if you listen to the local people, they say things like roight ( right), tha's a rummun ( that's a strange thing), rud ( road)...

xxx
  • karenjoy
    karenjoy Posts: 1,840 Member
    Options
    I live on the Isle of Wight (small Island off the South Coast of England) and the locals call it the "oil o' woight"

They say "a'roight nipper?" meaning Hello young man
    "nammet" means lunch
    "Summat" means something, but used in a way which is difficult to explain.
    "mallyshag" is a catterpillar
    "Gurt" means great big as in "look at that gurt mallyshag"
    "Chine" is a local(ish) word meaning gorge

I could go on lol

My Canadian husband says weird stuff like pavement for the road and sidewalk for the pavement!
  • immacookie
    immacookie Posts: 7,424 Member
    Options
    I personally don't do this, but there are tons of Midwesterners that say WARSH instead of wash - VERY ANNOYING!

Oh my gosh!! That is my Mother in law!! WARSH rag... And she also lives in Missouri and says it like MissourUH instead of MissourE). Drives me nuts!

Thankfully not ALL of us Missourians talk like that (and I'm origially from SE Missouri, but I escaped somehow :laugh: )
  • immacookie
    Options
    Being that I'm not originally from Philly... I don't say this...

But the word "water" is pronounced "ward-er" here. :laugh:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I used to live there and I still catch myself saying that sometimes!

I used to hear "yins" alot when I lived in PA too...I think it is similar to "you's"

I think the other poster said that 'yins" is a Pittsburgh thing, probably central PA too (aka Pennsyltucky :laugh: ). It's all Italians in the area I'm in here... lots of "YO!" and "YOUS GUYS". :laugh:
  • Behavior_Modification
    Behavior_Modification Posts: 24,482 Member
    Options
    I've heard people pronounce Illinois, Ehllinois...Eh? really? Where did that come from?
    Instead of the swear f#$%ing, we say "effing", "freaking" and "flipping" a lot.
    We do not use the word pop in Milwaukee at all to mean soda.
    We call water fountains "bubblers".
    We hold our O's. Ooooh, that was sooo boooring. Actually we hold a lot of our vowels.
    We sound like sheep when we say bag and *kitten* and sag because we use long A's.
  • NYJetsFan
    Options
    Well since I currently live in South Carolina one I hear all the time is "Bless his/her heart." which pretty much means they are too stupid to function.

My girlfriend lives in VA and she's informed me of this. I had no idea.
  • ♥jewelchristian♥
    ♥jewelchristian♥ Posts: 3,666 Member
    Options
    I've heard people pronounce Illinois, Ehllinois...Eh? really? Where did that come from?
    Instead of the swear f#$%ing, we say "effing", "freaking" and "flipping" a lot.
    We do not use the word pop in Milwaukee at all to mean soda.
    We call water fountains "bubblers".
    We hold our O's. Ooooh, that was sooo boooring. Actually we hold a lot of our vowels.
    We sound like sheep when we say bag and *kitten* and sag because we use long A's.

We use fricking a lot.

I had an uncle who married an American woman, so when I went to visit him in Maryland and asked for pop - he laughed and said how much he loved the word pop, but it's called "soda" here.
  • DeathIsMyGift
    DeathIsMyGift Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Not everyone in Texas says "Ya'll".
  • NYJetsFan
    Options
    Also, it's not EYE-talian (Italian).

And Fixin' drives me nuts . . . I'm fixin' to make dinner.
  • BullDozier
    BullDozier Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I used to talk to a woman in Texas for work all the time. I just loved to listen to her say y'all and fixin'. We got pretty casual, so when I called her, or she called me, I would always start the conversation with "I bet you can't go this whole phone call without saying "y'all" or "fixin." It was easy money.

As for me, I'm from Minnesota, where we don't say any weird things, don't have an accent, and pretty much speak Englsh the way it was intended....donchaknow!
  • MrsSki
    MrsSki Posts: 196
    Options
    I'm in Chicago, but originally from Ohio. I say homeboy and homegirl a lot. When I say it I generally mean some stranger/person I don't know. I.E. "Homeboy at the store just wouldn't take no for an answer." I don't know of any of my friends who say this, and I have no idea where it came from.

I also say not at the end of sentences (I think this is a old-country German thing) I.E. "You have homework tonight, not?" My family and my husband understand, but almost everyone else asks me to repeat myself, lol. Another German thing (my family is German) is saying "Ach" when you screw up. I.E. "Ach, MrsSki." Instead of saying like, "Darnnit MrsSki".

It's pop, not soda. But I have trained myself to say soda here in Chicago, because that's what everyone calls it here, but it sounds so weird coming out of my mouth
  • chgudnitz
    chgudnitz Posts: 4,079
    Options

Hey... :mad: Being originally from Philly its pronounced "Wood-er" thank you very much. :laugh:
  • Behavior_Modification
    Behavior_Modification Posts: 24,482 Member
    Options
    As for me, I'm from Minnesota, where we don't say any weird things, don't have an accent, and pretty much speak Englsh the way it was intended....donchaknow!

I never thought I had an accent either, but people from the south tell me I have a strong accent for this region. So, you might really have an accent too!

I've noticed that we (ok, I) say "you know" after our statements a lot and make it into question form. It's hot out today, you know? They had the best shoes, you know? Melons are really cheap this time of year, you know? I'm in shock, you know?

My fiancee says "and stuff like that" after a lot of his sentences. Especially when he is telling a story.
  • NYJetsFan
    Options
    I also say not at the end of sentences (I think this is a old-country German thing) I.E. "You have homework tonight, not?" My family and my husband understand, but almost everyone else asks me to repeat myself, lol. Another German thing (my family is German) is saying "Ach" when you screw up. I.E. "Ach, MrsSki." Instead of saying like, "Darnnit MrsSki".

I say "no" at the end of sentences. "It'd be better if we took an alternate route, no?" It's my way of asking if you agree with me. My parents are both from Italy so maybe it's a European thing.
  • immacookie
    Options

Hey... :mad: Being originally from Philly its pronounced "Wood-er" thank you very much. :laugh:

Maybe it's a NE Philly thang :laugh:
  • immacookie
    Options

I never thought I had an accent either, but people from the south tell me I have a strong accent for this region. So, you might really have an accent too!

I've noticed that we (ok, I) say "you know" after our statements a lot and make it into question form. It's hot out today, you know? They had the best shoes, you know? Melons are really cheap this time of year, you know? I'm in shock, you know?

My fiancee says "and stuff like that" after a lot of his sentences. Especially when he is telling a story.

I have a friend that's from St Paul... I'll never forget the first time she said she was going to "bring the hot dish" to a cookout.... umm ok... so what are you bringing?? Her - uhh the hot dish... Us... ??????

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • ♥jewelchristian♥
    ♥jewelchristian♥ Posts: 3,666 Member
    Options
    I'm confused Bran....what should she have said??
  • immacookie
    Options
    I'm confused Bran....what should she have said??

Oh don't tell me... you're a "hot dish" person too :huh: :smokin:

It's a casserole... green bean casserole.... sweet potato casserole... tater tot casserole.... :laugh: :laugh: