HELP! I can't seem to hit my net cals.

Options

Replies

• emilyc_1987
    emilyc_1987 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    What did you eat before to go over it?

This.

Not to be rude, but you ate enough over your TDEE to gain before, so you should have no problems hitting goal now.

Hey, we all did. That's why we're here. No disrespect. :smile:

But maybe try incorporating full fat dairy, not low fat/cal. Full fat dressing, not low fat/cal. Protein shakes. Lean proteins/canned tuna. Olive oil. Avocados. Nuts. Nut butters. Etc.

Allow yourself treats, maybe? If you're severe enough under goal, have something you like to bump it up without worrying over how "bad" it could be for you. I've been having trouble reaching goal only because I've started a new job with long hours, so I ate 2 Poptarts yesterday. Worked like a charm.

Don't be so hard on yourself. Keep up the good work!

like I said I was eating junk everyday and drinking probably 20litres of coke a week. aswell as probably 10pints of full fat milk!
    I've never used to eat breakfast. or lunch. I'd just have a coffee at 5. then eat some junk takeaway when I got in.

I'm already eating, nuts/chicken/tuna/avocados/peanut butter/cheese/yoghurts.
    I cut full fat milk out-only because I can't control myself. i would drink only that for the rest of my life if i could! :embarassed:

I'm totally ashamed of how I lived. but I guess that's why i'm here.

I do workout everyday. usually burning 500+. some days if I cycle i'm burning closer to 1000!
    I'm surprisngly fit for my size! i used to run before my previous job and I worked on sites so I was pretty active with work then.

If you're going by MFP estimated burns, then those are GROSSLY overestimated. Most people in reality can't burn 1,000 doing high energy and strenuous exercise no matter how hard they've tried.

I suggest only eating back HALF of your exercise calories that MFP allocates. This ensures that things won't be overestimated and you'll still get adequate nutrition.

If you'd like a more accurate estimation of how much you burn, invest in a heart rate monitor (HRM).

I know they're grossly over estimated! I don't eat back my exercise calories, unless I feel hungry then I'll eat some back!
  • PepperWorm
    PepperWorm Posts: 1,206
    Options
    OR...you can try this. Sorry for not mentioning it before:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/975025-in-place-of-a-road-map-short-n-sweet
  • PepperWorm
    Options
    What did you eat before to go over it?

This.

Not to be rude, but you ate enough over your TDEE to gain before, so you should have no problems hitting goal now.

Hey, we all did. That's why we're here. No disrespect. :smile:

But maybe try incorporating full fat dairy, not low fat/cal. Full fat dressing, not low fat/cal. Protein shakes. Lean proteins/canned tuna. Olive oil. Avocados. Nuts. Nut butters. Etc.

Allow yourself treats, maybe? If you're severe enough under goal, have something you like to bump it up without worrying over how "bad" it could be for you. I've been having trouble reaching goal only because I've started a new job with long hours, so I ate 2 Poptarts yesterday. Worked like a charm.

Don't be so hard on yourself. Keep up the good work!

like I said I was eating junk everyday and drinking probably 20litres of coke a week. aswell as probably 10pints of full fat milk!
    I've never used to eat breakfast. or lunch. I'd just have a coffee at 5. then eat some junk takeaway when I got in.

I'm already eating, nuts/chicken/tuna/avocados/peanut butter/cheese/yoghurts.
    I cut full fat milk out-only because I can't control myself. i would drink only that for the rest of my life if i could! :embarassed:

I'm totally ashamed of how I lived. but I guess that's why i'm here.

I do workout everyday. usually burning 500+. some days if I cycle i'm burning closer to 1000!
    I'm surprisngly fit for my size! i used to run before my previous job and I worked on sites so I was pretty active with work then.

If you're going by MFP estimated burns, then those are GROSSLY overestimated. Most people in reality can't burn 1,000 doing high energy and strenuous exercise no matter how hard they've tried.

I suggest only eating back HALF of your exercise calories that MFP allocates. This ensures that things won't be overestimated and you'll still get adequate nutrition.

If you'd like a more accurate estimation of how much you burn, invest in a heart rate monitor (HRM).

I know they're grossly over estimated! I don't eat back my exercise calories, unless I feel hungry then I'll eat some back!

Then I don't understand why you're trying to hit 'NET' goal. Net goal is 1600+ exercise calories.
  • Brett_Mason
    Brett_Mason Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Add one of these a day. 350 calories. Reasonable fat/calorie ratio. Tons of Protein. Taste amazing. They are my breakfast every day. You should be able to add one of these to your daily mix pretty easily.

Detour Bars. The 85g bars. And you can get them for half the price on Amazon. I order them 4 boxes at a time,

http://www.detourbar.com/products/original-whey-protein-bars/caramel-peanut.html
  • SairahRose
    SairahRose Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    When you first start eating better foods, it IS harder to hit your net. I know I failed a fair few times.. My body was adjusting to real food rather than high calorie junk foods that inevitably left you feeling hungry a couple of hours later.
    But, I kept working out, and I kept pushing through. Eventually your body realises that what you're doing is a good thing, and it wants more, so it will let you do that.

It really does suck when people say it takes time, I know I hated it :P But honestly, it's about the only thing there is.

Good luck with it :D
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Should not be that hard to get to 1600 a day ...

here is a sample plan ..

breakfast

four eggs
    vans whole grain waffles
    tablespoon olive oil
    460 calories

lunch

5 ounces chicken breast
    cottage cheese
    greek yogurt
    460 calories

dinner
    stir fry with chicken, pork, brown jasmine rice, green beans, yellow squash, peppers = 970 calories

this would be about 1800 so just eliminate an egg and the greek yogurt and that is 1600 ....
  • emilyc_1987
    Options
    the only reason I'm not eating them back is because I struggle to eat that much! lol!
    I might just give up! it was easier being unhealthy! :noway: :grumble:

I never ever thought I would struggle to eat enough. :|
  • PepperWorm
    Options
    the only reason I'm not eating them back is because I struggle to eat that much! lol!

That's kind of a lame excuse to quit.

You've already lost 12 pounds. Why not try another method and see where it takes you? In Place Of A Road Map works for me, and plenty other people.
  • ddoeren84
    ddoeren84 Posts: 30
    Options
    Maybe this is a dumb question but if you're really that concerned that you're not eating back all the calories you're losing by exercising and can't figure out how to do it why not exercise less so that you don't have to eat more?
  • emilyc_1987
    Options

That's kind of a lame excuse to quit.

You've already lost 12 pounds. Why not try another method and see where it takes you? In Place Of A Road Map works for me, and plenty other people.

I know it was. I'm not quitting, I'm happy with (sort of) the progress I'm making. I'm just frustrated! sorry!
  • Brett_Mason
    Brett_Mason Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Add one of these a day. 350 calories. Reasonable fat/calorie ratio. Tons of Protein. Taste amazing. They are my breakfast every day. You should be able to add one of these to your daily mix pretty easily.

Detour Bars. The 85g bars. And you can get them for half the price on Amazon. I order them 4 boxes at a time,

http://www.detourbar.com/products/original-whey-protein-bars/caramel-peanut.html
  • emilyc_1987
    Options
    OR...you can try this. Sorry for not mentioning it before:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/975025-in-place-of-a-road-map-short-n-sweet

done it!
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options

What? Are you 12? I don't mean to be mean, but you need to grow up and figure this out. You can do this, it's not rocket science. heck, I even figured it out and I am like,12, maturity wise.
  • jeffpettis
    jeffpettis Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Maybe I missed something but if you are trying to lose fat why are you so worried about eating exactly your calorie goal? As long as you are losing weight at around a pound a week, and you feel fine with the calories you're eating (plenty of energy, etc.) then I don't think you have to worry about anything. If you were losing weight at an alarmingly fast rate then I would say eat more but if not why worry too much about it? In other words if your only losing about a pound a week you are probably eating exactly what you should be for your goal.
  • emilyc_1987
    Options

What? Are you 12? I don't mean to be mean, but you need to grow up and figure this out. You can do this, it's not rocket science. heck, I even figured it out and I am like,12, maturity wise.

I'm not quitting. i'm just struggling! everyone is entitled to struggle whether being 12 or not!
    I'm having a hard time and i'm trying to get help!
  • PepperWorm
    Options

I'm not quitting. i'm just struggling! everyone is entitled to struggle whether being 12 or not!
    I'm having a hard time and i'm trying to get help!

Wait, you said you did the road map?

Does that mean you quit it?

Why?
  • Trilby16
    Trilby16 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Nutella!
  • emilyc_1987
    Options
    Maybe I missed something but if you are trying to lose fat why are you so worried about eating exactly your calorie goal? As long as you are losing weight at around a pound a week, and you feel fine with the calories you're eating (plenty of energy, etc.) then I don't think you have to worry about anything. If you were losing weight at an alarmingly fast rate then I would say eat more but if not why worry too much about it? In other words if your only losing about a pound a week you are probably eating exactly what you should be for your goal.

because most days MFP is telling me I'm not eating enough. I'm not hungry and I manage to workout every day so obviously not trouble with energy. I've lost 12lb since the 9th of july?
  • ndj1979
    Options
    I dont know how one goes from over eating to the point of being overweight, but then goes on diet and cannot eat up to certain amount of calories = mind blown...
  • ndj1979
    Options

because most days MFP is telling me I'm not eating enough. I'm not hungry and I manage to workout every day so obviously not trouble with energy. I've lost 12lb since the 9th of july?

I dont know .have you lost 12 pounds since the 9th of July?