Getting Disability for Depression???

Options

Replies

• iNkedFiTmama
    iNkedFiTmama Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    entitlement for sure.
    Awesome word "entitlement".

We really do live in the greatest country in the world!

I personally hated to read what some of the posters in this thread are going through, thoughts and prayers.

The rest of MY personal opinions on this subject...I will keep to myself.
  • stargazer008
    stargazer008 Posts: 531
    Options
    Severe depression is crippling so it is understandable that one may apply for disability. Depression affects people in different ways.
  • Barbellgirl
    Barbellgirl Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    I don't agree with getting disability for it...

I'm going to respond to your original post where you said "I have depression but believe getting disability for it is whack as hell"

You are obviously not in the same boat as some of the people being discussed. I bet if your depression was really severe, so much so that you couldn't hold down a job and pay your bills or put food on the table, and feed yourself and possibly your kids, you might have a different opinion about it.

Minor depression or situational depression would never qualify for disability anyway. While there are some people that may try to play the system, they are eventually caught and fraud on a federal level is a very serious offense.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    I got to page two and then, oh shoot, I think I have ADD because I can't continue reading.

This thread is depressing 1/10 would not get out of bed/off the floor/off the couch for.
  • kaseysospacey
    kaseysospacey Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Depression can be so crippling you cant even bring yourself to bathe or make yourself food.
  • tlou5
    tlou5 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I can't speak for depression but I have a friend who gets disability for being obese. In my eyes she can get up and lose the weight but everyone is not willing and able to do that. Now I applied for disability when I got diagnosed with Luekemia in 2009. They turned me down saying I didn't have a debilitating disease. Not to mention I have a disabled child that for as long as she live she will never be able to walk talk or feed herself. Yet to them I wasn't needy, but I didn't cry about and I continued to work and take care of my child while doing chemo. I just finished another 6 month round of chemo and I worked through it all. We all have our crosses to bear and only god can be the true judge. I like to believe that the man upstairs knew I was wrong enough and here I am 4 years later still living.

Wow Sashoi- impressive working through all that. Hope you beat the leukemia!
  • kaseysospacey
    kaseysospacey Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    I've had postpartum depression so bad I was put in the hospital. I literally idnt eat for days or do anything, I was just dead inside.
  • kfit42
    kfit42 Posts: 3
    Options
    Yes! Depression can be very crippling, especially if you are Bipolar. Depression and Bipolar is protected by ADA because the disability association know it's crippling and that's why they protect people who are depressed. A lot of people judge other people who are Bipolar and Depressed which is why it should remain confidential. It is something only your doctor and family should know about and no one else because people look down at you and judge you. I am surprised this woman told you the truth because I wouldn't have for exactly that reason.
  • SuperSexyDork
    SuperSexyDork Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    OP: I'm glad that you've taken something good away from the discussion here.

Depression and other mental illnesses/disabilities are indeed very real things that I don't believe we have a right to judge others on.

I don't tell people many people about my past- my history of depression especially because even if no one would judge me for it, I am afraid of feeling judged.
  • alfiedn
    alfiedn Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    Sounds legit to me! My uncle was told by his therapist that even with medication, his job as a school teacher was causing too much stress for him and his depression and that he couldn't go back to that career. He does work now, but not as much and definitely doesn't make as much as he used to. I can see how some people with depression would qualify for disability and also how some others might not (myself as a good example of that).
  • Ophidion
    Ophidion Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    Just because someone has a disability, mental or otherwise, doesn't mean they automatically get a gov't check. They have to apply.

Just applying for a disability payment doesn't mean they'll get one. They'll have to fight for it.

Just because a person seems relatively normal to in a passing conversation doesn't mean they aren't dealing with a crippling disorder that prevents them from having a normal life. Saying hello to your neighbor doesn't give you intimate knowledge of them.

Just because you edited you're original post doesn't mean we can't still sense the tremendous animosity behind it.
    QFT^ People wear many masks and the OP seems a little myopic in her vision or insight of people, situations or how the system for dealing with these issues work.

ETA: the below statement is not always true but is an example of how people deal with mental/emotional disorders.
    3ee7e57e75cf7d241400f65d27dc2ec4_zps5544371b.jpg
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    There continues to be stigma surrounding mental illness, as well as misunderstanding and ignorance. Yes, there are people who jack the system, but there are also people out there suffering that are unable to receive any type of assistance. In addition, there are many people who are walking around with the wrong diagnosis. For example, someone who is diagnosed with depression, but experiences hallucinations and delusions does not have the correct diagnosis.

We have come a long way in understanding mental health and have a long way to go to improve services. There are many people out there who work their behinds off to reduce symptoms, improve quality of life and overall try to lead a life. I have nothing but respect for the hard workers out there and anybody who still fuels the stigmas have not truly seen the effect of severe mental illness.
  • queen4028
    queen4028 Posts: 4
    Options
    She is getting money to live off of. I don't know how much, and it really doesn't matter. I'm saying, would t that money be better spent on treatment instead of letting her continue to live with something so dibilitating? I'm coming from a "help her get better" perspective, but as I can see, it might not be that simple.

And I'm saying she receive benefits that will HELP her, not continue to perpetuate her condition. I really don't want this to sway in the direction of whether she QUALIFIES for living assistance, because I cannot speak intelligently on that. Obviously she qualifies because she has it. My point was should that money she QUALIFIED for be used to help her get better, and not just let her pay her bills and let her continue to live with depression. As far as better treatment, I can't say what better treatment is. The only way for her to know would be for her to try them, but as a PP said, trying is not that simple, and I can remember from my depression days I often didn't want to try to do anything. So I'm sure compounding that times 100 and you may not be fit for treatment.
    I GUESS I DON'T UNDERSTAND HOW YOU UNDERSTAND DEPRESSION. THERE IS NO FIX ALL FOR DEPRESSION. MEDICATIONS MAY WORK FINE FOR A WHILE THEN STOP WORKING. WHAT DO YOU MEAN "LET HER LIVE WITH DEPRESSION?"
  • jdm_taco
    jdm_taco Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    What a joke... :explode:
  • marilynx
    marilynx Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I'm going to have 4 wisdom teeth out soon, and I will get sick pay and a week off work for that. That's nowhere near as debilitating as depression.

Yet, OP would find the first one okay. If only mental illness could be cured with surgery and a weeks recovery, huh.

Actually, no I don't. I consider you lucky. I don't necessarily think it's ok. A whole week off work for wisdom teeth? I could barely get a day off when I ended up in the ER when I was pregnant with my son.

Queen4028
    What are you talking about? Like seriously, I'm talking about helping her. ARE YOU SAYING THAT THERE IS NO HELPING PEOPLE WITH DEPRESSION??!!!???eleventy111!!!!! (since we like to type in all caps). I would say I have a BETTER UNDERSTANDING OF DEPRESSION NOW SINCE I HET THAT THE COMPLEXITY OF IT GOES BEYOND WHAT WAS MY SCOPE OF UNDERSTANDING!!! KTHNXBYE!!!!

As far as let her live with her depression, that's not even ANYWHERE NEAR what I have said throughout this WHOLE THREAD! In fact it's been the complete opposite.

Reading is a lost art. *rolls eyes*
  • KadenSmile
    KadenSmile Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I will speak up, and say that I am on disability for depression... I've been hospitalized combining them all for just over a year and a half of my life. I tried basically every type of medication there is, and eventually they tried ECT (shock treatments), which worked a bit... So I'm getting ECT regularly, am on 7 different medications, and am starting to look at getting my life back on track. It's a long road, and is definitely not easy, and can sometimes take over everything.

So, the answer is yes... Someone can be on Disability for depression.
  • 42hockeymom
    42hockeymom Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    Awhile back I met a woman who used to live in my old neighborhood. She was a very nice woman. We would talk everytime we saw each other. One day out of the sake of conversation I asked her where did she work. She told me she didn't work. I looked confused because she lived alone except for her 16 year old son, so I knew something didn't seem right. I think she could read the expression in my face because she said, "oh, I'm in disability due to depression."

It took a lot of conscious thought to keep my face straight.

You're getting disability for being depressed?

What are your thoughts? Am I the only one who thinks this is a waste of money? Can depression really be so crippling that you can't work? I mean, even people with highly crippling mental disabilities on medication can go to work...... Is someone's depression so damning that they just won't be able to work? To me that's a hopeless existence.

I'm not going to read all the other answers to your question. I usually do though.

However, to answer your question, YES. I grew up with a mother who was bipolar and yes, she was on disability for it. She cycled rapidly and had an allergy to lithium, probably the only medication that could have helped her. She would be on the other meds out there and they'd work anywhere from 6 weeks to 3 months and then we'd be back to square one. She raised my sister and me by herself, my dad checked out a long long time ago.

I won't get into what it was for us, but yes, my mother was crippled by the disease. And yes IT IS A DISEASE. It is a lack of certain chemicals in the brain. The only thing different from someone with depression and an amputee is that you can see the person's limb missing, you can't see the chemicals missing. Is Depression crippling for everyone? No it is not. I am answering this purely from a personal standpoint as I have Clinical Depression, I have been able to hold full time jobs for years and years, some days were harder than others.

Depression is hereditary, every woman on my mother's side of the family has/had it. Both aunts are being treated for it, my sister and I are being treated for it. My grandmother had it, and her mother had it. After that, the stories are sketchy at best but it sounds like past family members had it also.

I do give your credit for at least having decorum to not laugh at her answer. I also give your credit for asking questions. I can't tell if you're judging or not, but the tone of your question certainly conveys it. I hope some of the answers here enlighten you to some degree.

Please just remember, just because you can't see it, doesn't mean it doesn't exist.
  • weightlossdiva1219
    weightlossdiva1219 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Looks like OP is a little butthurt that she offended people and people are bringing up normal points. Good for her that she can handle life normally. I was in a mental hospital twice and I wasnt offered disability. I applied for it cause I'm advocating for myself. OP. All she likes to do is *roll eyes* and bring attention to all caps. It's kinda pointless. Why dont you, instead, address what people are saying, even if you don't like it. This is afterall a weight loss website and if you are choosing to mention something completely irrelevant on one of the forums, I think that people WILL lash out at you. Yeah, living on $866 a month, just barely enough for rent and food, and doing nothing is a "pathetic way to live" but it's my only option right now. I think this thread needs to die. Someone here is clearly not very empathetic.
  • weightlossdiva1219
    Options
    I don't agree with getting disability for it...

I'm going to respond to your original post where you said "I have depression but believe getting disability for it is whack as hell"

You are obviously not in the same boat as some of the people being discussed. I bet if your depression was really severe, so much so that you couldn't hold down a job and pay your bills or put food on the table, and feed yourself and possibly your kids, you might have a different opinion about it.

Minor depression or situational depression would never qualify for disability anyway. While there are some people that may try to play the system, they are eventually caught and fraud on a federal level is a very serious offense.

^This. I applied for disabilty in March because I lost my job (fired because my performance was effected by my disorder) and was homeless. It took 3 months for my claim to be processed. 3 months in which I lived in my boyfriends 2 seat pick up truck in california heat. I slept in there at night. I was on food stamps while I was waiting so I could eat. Getting SSI would mean that I would not have to live in a car anymore. Since I had been hospitalized twice in 2012 and had depressive disorders diagnosed as early as when I was 11, I was approved the first time. Now I live in an apartment with him, and I have justenough money to help pay for bills and food. Because of my track record with work, it's hard for me to get a job. I kept trying to work despite how hard it was with my BPD, but I would always fail.

And the process for getting disability is hard. It takes MONTHS, you have SO much paperwork to fill out, they need records of your disability, you have to see a doctor in some cases. It's not just like oh hey im depressed give me money. It aint a medical marijuana joint....
  • weightlossdiva1219
    Options
    Complete and utter bulls!it. I have a neighbor who is in his forties.. been on disability since his twenties because of herniated disks... but I see this relaxed, plump overfed 'man' riding his bike ands running with kids all the damn time. Has nicer clothes then me, wears gold chains, his tv is twice the size of my doorway. And here I am workin two jobs most of the time. I once cracked a joke that I'm workin so he can relax.. which he replied sayin if I was with him I wouldn't have to work. That irritated me enough to blurt out I prefer real, hard working men who earn their *kitten*, to which he got defensive and replied I'm not his type anyway. Depression? I've been depressed, yet still understood that I had a job to do and the consequences if I didn't do my job. Not my problem that you get depressed and decide you don't wanna work anymore. At lest it shouldn't be, anyway.

Well that's not all from disability. Getting disability is living in poverty. I make under 10,000 a year on disability....
This discussion has been closed.