Parents let their kids eat trash?

Options
1222324252628»

Replies

• MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Are you kidding me? This subject rolled?
    And without a gif of a cute little rolly polly kid?
    Or rolling kids? Or any kids at all?

3r47p7.jpg

somersault-start-stop.jpg

kids_somersault_-_kathmandu_-_19.20.jpg
  • Seesawboomerang
    Seesawboomerang Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I was going to have adventurous children, who would try all sorts of weird and wonderful foods. Obviously it was the parents' fault if they had a fussy child, because they'd indulged them somehow, or not been inventive enough.

Then my fussy eater came along.

Every meal time would be a battle if he had his way. I'm firm. We eat a varied diet. But sometimes, well, quite often, he will sit down to tinned pasta and hot dogs because that's all he really wants.

He's an odd little character though; likes olives and cucumber and sweetcorn. These are normally triggers in fussy eaters, but he likes those. I think he just enjoys being contrary.

I'll be delighted when he willingly chows down on something 'healthy' or with 'bits' in. 6 years old, and was a more adventurous 1 year old food-wise. We'll get there.

I don't tolerate tantrums least of all in public places. We just leave if it gets out of hand (it doesn't. He'd just refuse to eat rather than scream the place down).
  • Seesawboomerang
    Seesawboomerang Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Oh and he happily eat almost any fruit. At least the vitamins creep in that way. But so. much. sugar.
  • Shaolin_Life
    Shaolin_Life Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    This thread makes me a little nuts and makes me laugh as well... and at times it makes me sad. These "control your child" posts make me very sad. What sort of adults will we be raising if we teach our children to bow to authority at every turn and take away any autonomy? What would it do to our society if we punished out of our children their innate questioning nature, their need to have some control over their lives, and the spontaneity and wonder that can make life so rich? I know this thread is about what kids eat, but it has turned into so much more. Where would we be if Martin Luther King Jr.'s parents had taught him to bow to authority, do as you're told, don't question, and above all do not make your own decisions? What if, because of stifling parenting practices, we did not have all of the heroes of our past, and present that have questioned authority and come out on the other side having improved society?

No... do NOT stifle your child... If they're screaming in a restaurant then take them to the bathroom and have a talk. If that doesn't work then get a box and take them home. But "controlling" them? What are you gonna do... spank them for being a kid? Threaten them with punishment for having energy, and thoughts, and wants, and needs? Just the thought of "controlling" children makes me sick. You people should be ashamed of yourselves.

:drinker: :flowerforyou:

We weren't talking about them having energy and wants and needs. We were talking about them pitching a fit in a restaurant and annoying other people. No parent should allow that.

Get a life....then write the book explaining how to not "allow" a small kid to "pitch a fit" LOL!! Are you 80 years old? Should I beat her with my belt?? :laugh:
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    If we acted up in a restaurant we got sent out to the car and had to wait until everyone else finished. I'm pretty sure that would be considered child abuse now. lol
  • niki87lewis
    niki87lewis Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    And just what do you think causes them to pitch a fit in a restaurant... or anywhere else for that matter? *sigh* SMH

Could be anything. Maybe a fork falls on the floor. Maybe they have a tummy ache. Maybe that guy with the funny hat walked away. Maybe that guy with the funny hat walked too close. Maybe they got the food they wanted, but it isn't what they want now. Who knows. They are not rational beings with adult senses of proportion when they are very young.

Thing is, it's anti-social to bring a random noisemaker to a nice restaurant or other environment where people don't expect random loud noises. Part of being a responsible parent is knowing when and where to bring kids.

Nothing to do with the OP or eating "trash" though.

Those things are because they're learning. Children are a part of society, an ESSENTIAL part of society, and the best way for them to learn is to be out in different situations. My suggestion... if any of you dislike children that much... their random outbursts, their learning curve, and yes, their tantrums... keep YOUR *kitten* at home, 'cause I'm sure as **** not keeping my kids out of restaurants to please some jerk with a noise complex.

So then you are more than ok with disrupting someone elses enjoyment of a night/day out in a restaurant? Just cause you have noisy kids & can't keep them under a particular level of noise does not give you the right to impose that on everyone else.

If my son ever played up anywhere we went home. NO taking the food in a box & going home, no way. You act up & cause OTHER people to not have a good time out....you miss out. They learn then that it's NOT acceptable as a child or as an adult.

The way you are going your 'children' will act the same way when adults becuase you didn't TEACH them between appropriate behavior.

BTW as for keeping *kitten* at home. ...... it wont be the person who complains to the manager about the noisy brats that gets banned from entering the place again will it.

Obviously you are supermum and your "children" are angels.....

I.don't like your tone
  • MinatoandClover
    MinatoandClover Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Responding to the OP. If you're only observing people in restaurants, this isn't an accurate representation of -anyone's- diet. Generally, eating at a restaurant is a special kind of thing. You go out and you can eat whatever you want. Same for kids. I think it's kinda mean to treat a kid to a trip to a restaurant only to force them to eat a salad and skinless chicken breast. That's like going to a theme park and saying that you can't ride any of the rides. Again, if this is something you only do once a month to once a week, one day of eating junk isn't gonna hurt them. If they're getting every other meal from McDonald's and Taco Bell, then yeah, I agree, that's pretty bad. But there's nothing wrong with going every so often. And unless you recognize them there every time you go to that restaurant, you don't know -how- often they eat out. You're judging them on having seen them for, like, 20 minutes. For all you know, this could be their bi-monthly/monthly outing, and the parents cook them balanced and healthy meals the rest of the time. The point is, you -don't- know. You can't judge someone's parenting if you don't know the whole scope of their parenting.
  • fernandesg
    fernandesg Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I was going to have adventurous children, who would try all sorts of weird and wonderful foods. Obviously it was the parents' fault if they had a fussy child, because they'd indulged them somehow, or not been inventive enough.

Then my fussy eater came along.

Every meal time would be a battle if he had his way. I'm firm. We eat a varied diet. But sometimes, well, quite often, he will sit down to tinned pasta and hot dogs because that's all he really wants.

He's an odd little character though; likes olives and cucumber and sweetcorn. These are normally triggers in fussy eaters, but he likes those. I think he just enjoys being contrary.

I'll be delighted when he willingly chows down on something 'healthy' or with 'bits' in. 6 years old, and was a more adventurous 1 year old food-wise. We'll get there.

I don't tolerate tantrums least of all in public places. We just leave if it gets out of hand (it doesn't. He'd just refuse to eat rather than scream the place down).

Our children are kindred spirits! :flowerforyou: :drinker:

My first daughter ate everything. From the first day she tried food, there was almost nothing she didn't like. She is 10 now, and the only thing she doesn't like is raw onion. She quietly puts them to the side of her plate, no hoopla or drama. When she was 2, just before my 2nd daughter was born, I was so proud of myself, what a great mother I am, look how easy it is to raise a non-fussy eater. It must be the parents!

Then God gave me my beautiful Elena.

Colic. 11 months of screaming due to gurgling stomach/intestines. I breastfed exclusively for 5 months, then added formula, slids etc. Nothing helped her stomach. If we even offered food when she wasn't hungry she lost her friggen mind. She is a very picky eater. I tried all the tricks I used with my eldest. Eat what we eat or you don't eat. She went 3 days with only drinking milk. She must have been starving, but would not/could not put those foods in her mouth. I felt like an awful parent, but she just quietly didn't eat. 3 hours at the table without eating, every meal for 3 days. And we quickly learned that forcing didn't work - she vomited if the food was the wrong texture. No tantrums, just quiet tears.

We've spent much of her 8 years of life determining what will and won't meet her criteria. Texture, taste, sight, even color are all triggers for her intense gag reflex. So yes, when she decides something is palatable, she gets it. I can't sneak food into things in sauce form, she doesn't eat sauce of any kind. Her current food palate includes chicken (and yes nuggets are a favorite but she also loves most other ways of cooking it), plain white pasta with parmesan cheese, plain white rice with soy sauce, fish and chips, only eats potatoes if they are fries, plain cheese quesadillas, grilled cheese sandwiches, and cucumbers with no peel. She loves milk (not almond, rice or chocolate, just plain white milk) We tease her that she only eats white food :laugh: . She does love most nuts and breads that have seeds in them are a favorite. No fruit, no other veggies.

She is thin, but bright, intelligent above the curve, witty, and happy. She is moving constantly, and definitely has portion control to a science. She likes dessert and has it daily (as long as she finishes her dinner), but when she's full, she's full, whether it's her favorite chocolate cake or a not-so favorite type of meat that's in front of her at the time.

So for all the judgers out there, if you see me in McDonald's, yes you will see the overweight mother having a salad while her kids have a grilled cheese with bacon, or chicken nuggets, with fries. You have no idea what my life has been like for 8 years with my beautiful girl. You have no idea that we eat home cooked meals all week, which I prepare more healthy than my mother ever did. I am a food scientist with a minor in nutrition, I make substitutions to meet my daughter's needs and wants. You have no idea how much running and playing my kids do, or how they love to help me prepare healthy meals at home.

I don't judge you for being in a fast food place. I'd thank you not to judge me in return :smile: :drinker:
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    And just what do you think causes them to pitch a fit in a restaurant... or anywhere else for that matter? *sigh* SMH

Could be anything. Maybe a fork falls on the floor. Maybe they have a tummy ache. Maybe that guy with the funny hat walked away. Maybe that guy with the funny hat walked too close. Maybe they got the food they wanted, but it isn't what they want now. Who knows. They are not rational beings with adult senses of proportion when they are very young.

Thing is, it's anti-social to bring a random noisemaker to a nice restaurant or other environment where people don't expect random loud noises. Part of being a responsible parent is knowing when and where to bring kids.

Nothing to do with the OP or eating "trash" though.

Those things are because they're learning. Children are a part of society, an ESSENTIAL part of society, and the best way for them to learn is to be out in different situations. My suggestion... if any of you dislike children that much... their random outbursts, their learning curve, and yes, their tantrums... keep YOUR *kitten* at home, 'cause I'm sure as **** not keeping my kids out of restaurants to please some jerk with a noise complex.

So then you are more than ok with disrupting someone elses enjoyment of a night/day out in a restaurant? Just cause you have noisy kids & can't keep them under a particular level of noise does not give you the right to impose that on everyone else.

If my son ever played up anywhere we went home. NO taking the food in a box & going home, no way. You act up & cause OTHER people to not have a good time out....you miss out. They learn then that it's NOT acceptable as a child or as an adult.

The way you are going your 'children' will act the same way when adults becuase you didn't TEACH them between appropriate behavior.

BTW as for keeping *kitten* at home. ...... it wont be the person who complains to the manager about the noisy brats that gets banned from entering the place again will it.

Obviously you are supermum and your "children" are angels.....

I.don't like your tone

1 child who is now 19yo. Far from angel but damn play up in public & we go home. Simple as that. I don't play up in public, so nor should my child. Let your kids play up all they want....but the MOMENT it impacts on MY enjoyment then we have a problem. I don't go out to a restaurant to listen to YOUR kid throw a tantrum, teach your kid some damn manners.

I don't like your tone...... tough isnt it.