"You weight what? Girl, I'd kill to be that weight!"

Options

Replies

• Seesawboomerang
    Seesawboomerang Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    You annoyed them, they annoyed you. That's Facebook, alright.

I understand you because I am light but looking to get lighter. My tiny waist is what people notice before my hyoooge hips. So if I know I'm over, I have to keep that feeling to myself or people get pissy.

Even on here. It's like a competition to be the fattest to lose the most. *shrug* Everyone's personal journey.
  • janicelo1971
    janicelo1971 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    It sounds to me like they were just trying to make you feel better and comfort you. It's already been said but if hearing specific responses to sensitive issues for you will bring you down then just keep it between you and a few close friends that will give you the support and words you need to hear.

as she says...and im not sure how tall you are, im 5'6 and that is "fat" for my height....however I don't put stuff out there on FB..i know in the past I made comments about how I feel fat in my size 8's and I hoping to get in 4's or 6's ASAP and people that are 5'11 or so...that is really small for them....easy to offend people both ways.....
  • alliemarie77
    alliemarie77 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I used to say things like that to people mindlessly before I understood some things.

1.) Just because someone is thinner than me, doesn't mean they are at a healthy weight.

2.) even though skinny people are not "over weight" some have body issues as well.

So, how did I come to these realizations? I had to be told, and then to see it first hand made it really hit home.
    No. You can't make everyone see it, and you can't make everyone realize it. Find you a good friend that you can tell anything to.
    Write a diary, or a blog about it.

I wouldn't post it on Facebook, because not everyone is going to understand what your going through, and what your dealing with.

Good luck!
  • harrietlg
    harrietlg Posts: 239
    Options
    to be honest people forget that 157lbs looks very different on everybody if you were 5ft thats quite big for a little person but when anyone gains weight they get upset, my friend posted she was 139 the other day and I was like umm thats my goal weight... she's 2inches smaller than me so that could look different on her. I hold my weight well fortunately but thats because i'm heavier than I look which means my goal weight is higher... maybe i'm big boned and very muscly I dunno... but yeh don't talk to people about it because they will winge about their weight too.
  • ecw3780
    ecw3780 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    I would just say something along the lines of "thank you for your comments, but it is really important for me to be within my ideal BMI" or some crap like that. I hate the "well, I am fatter" comments. If you know you are fatter, do something about it, don't just say you'd kill to be my weight. I am done making people feel okay about being fat, when I am killing myself not to be.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    If I gained 10 pounds I would not post my weight on facebook or complain about my weight. I would post articles and talk about fitness in general. I am slim, slender, very fit. I would feel bad if I gained some weight. But, I would consider it to be rude towards my friends to talk about it, and especially knowing that they would not understand where I was coming from. A ten pound gain is really more of a personal issue, not a public one. Our weight number is our own for so many factors (I don't share that on fb, unless I am talking about something that brings it up for some reason). If I talk about weight it would be one on one with another dancer/fitness friend that is my same size.
  • skankamaggot
    skankamaggot Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I might be in the minority here but I hate when people post things like "I WEIGH 135 I AM SO GROSS I CANT BELIEVE HOW GROSS I AM I NEED TO WEIGH 110 AGAIN" Well if you think you're gross at 135 I guess you think I am just downright disgusting at over 200? Nobody really wants to be a part of your self deprecation, if you don't want responses, simply don't post it. Or post it on MFP where people have similar goals as you. Of course there is a difference between posting a goal and self deprecating, but still, facebook is probably not the place.
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    I have in the past. I joined Weight Watchers in my 20s when I weighed about 147. I wanted to weigh 128; for some reason, that was my "magic number".

We had a meeting basically focused on me and why I was there because some of the obese members had expressed resentment to the group leader about how I was there rubbing my thinness in their faces.

I'd claw out Sean Hannity's eyeballs to be 147 again. Actually, I'd probably claw them out anyway.
  • msgrowinggirl20
    Options
    fat black chick? FAT BLACK CHICK? WHAAAAAT!

Anyway maybe you can just vent to those close around u.
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    Friends don't give advice, they tell you what they think you want to hear.
  • AverageUkDude
    AverageUkDude Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    If you post about your weight/health/fitness on Facebook your gonna have a bad time
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Here are some good replies, not yelling... just caps to set them off as answers. Seriously don't yell at people, that would be mean, just say the following in the most quiet and sweet restrained intellectual tone.

"157 lbs??? Girl, I am 250 lbs. I am fat. You are not."
    THAT'S TRUE.

"I'd sell my soul to the devil to be 157 pounds."
    WHAT WOULD YOU SELL ME? CAUSE I CAN GET YOU THERE. *giggity*

"Seriously. I'd love to be at that weight too, but everyone is right."
    NOT REALLY, ONLY ME, CAUSE I'M THE ONLY ONE WHO'S 157.

"Omg that's not fat."
    OMG, THAT'S NOT THE POINT.

"hey while your busy feeling fat just remember that out there is a fat black chic that would kill to only weigh that much."
    HEY WHILE YOUR BUSY BEING RACIST JUST REMEMBER THAT YOU'RE FAT TOO.

"If I cut off one of my legs, I might weigh 157. Probably not though"
    THEN CUT OFF BOTH. GO BIG OR GO HOME, THAT'S WHAT MY TRAINER ALWAYS SAYS.

:laugh:
  • ebgbjo
    ebgbjo Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    I HATE when people say this to me or "You look good, you don't need to lose weight", "Please, you are next to me and I am XXX pounds" or "I hate when skinny girls say they need to lose weight"

First off, these people do not know my BMI, my BAI and they do not know where my starting weight point was. If they were only 5-15lbs from their goal weight, I wouldn't tell them to give up! I hate when people assume that because they may have X amount to lose, anyone who has less weight to lose really doesn't need to lose weight.
  • ken_hogan
    ken_hogan Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I think if you would have left your actual weight out of the post then you wouldn't have gotten the responses you did...
  • MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    Options
    I only tell my twin sister my weight. She is the only person that needs to know. Reporting it on facebook is just saying
    "I need attention, please tell me I am skinny."
  • missability
    missability Posts: 223
    Options
    I have been on both sides of this fence......5'8" and 127 pounds 30+ yrs ago.....and 5'6" (yes you do shrink when you get old) lol
    and 304LBS last year!

When I was rail thin....I still hated it when I saw 130 on the scale...and complained to my "thin friends"....

Then when I ht 300+ I found MFP, and voiced my concerns to my new found "NOT SO THIN" friends....:)

In both situations, thin, and NOT, I have found empathy...encouragement, and support....but I "stuck to my own kind", so to speak.....I never would have complained at 130 pounds, about my weight to my best friend, who was easily 250 pounds.....

"Birds of a feather" you know...:) And of course there was no "social media", 30 years ago....

I agree with others here, putting numbers out there for anyone to read is just asking for all kinds of responses, some good, from people in the same shoes, more than likely, and some not so good.

Kinda like complaining about wearing glasses to a blind man:)

But having been where you are, I say get on it now girl!!! Before it's 100 pounds, and you get where I am/was, and good luck to you:)
  • RCottonRPh
    RCottonRPh Posts: 148
    Options
    I keep it to myself, or talk about it on here only.
  • ebgbjo
    ebgbjo Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    Here are some good replies, not yelling... just caps to set them off as answers. Seriously don't yell at people, that would be mean, just say the following in the most quiet and sweet restrained intellectual tone.

"157 lbs??? Girl, I am 250 lbs. I am fat. You are not."
    THAT'S TRUE.

"I'd sell my soul to the devil to be 157 pounds."
    WHAT WOULD YOU SELL ME? CAUSE I CAN GET YOU THERE. *giggity*

"Seriously. I'd love to be at that weight too, but everyone is right."
    NOT REALLY, ONLY ME, CAUSE I'M THE ONLY ONE WHO'S 157.

"Omg that's not fat."
    OMG, THAT'S NOT THE POINT.

"hey while your busy feeling fat just remember that out there is a fat black chic that would kill to only weigh that much."
    HEY WHILE YOUR BUSY BEING RACIST JUST REMEMBER THAT YOU'RE FAT TOO.

"If I cut off one of my legs, I might weigh 157. Probably not though"
    THEN CUT OFF BOTH. GO BIG OR GO HOME, THAT'S WHAT MY TRAINER ALWAYS SAYS.

LOL.... LOVE!!
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    It's not about weight, it's about lean body mass compared to body fat.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    That's what THIS place is for. Post that stuff here and you'll find support and understanding. Facebook is the wrong place to post specific numbers. Or just "I gained ten pounds and I'm really disappointed in myself. ". And leave it at that

This.

On the flip side, which would you rather? People saying, "You're being ridiculous. You're not fat." Or "You DO look pretty nasty these days. I wasn't going to say anything, but... Yeah. Get working on that."