Getting Disability for Depression???

Options

Replies

• obeseandsassy
    Options
    I feel the need to respond to this again, because it's a very important subject to my heart.

Over the years I have dealt with clinical depression, Borderline Personality Disorder, Generalized Anxiety Disorder, social anxiety, and a plethora of other conditions. Some days are better than others.

As I said before, I also work at a psych hospital. Back in the 80s, the Reagan administration closed THOUSANDS of psychiatric hospitals across the country, leaving the people in them with nowhere to go. Since then, support for mentally ill people has been spotty at best. At my work, I've seen prospective patients in the ER waiting for an open bed at my hospital after a suicide attempt only to be denied because their insurance won't cover it. I've seen patients only be allowed by their insurance to stay 3 days when what they need is weeks or months of treatment. I've seen patients leave to go back to the same exact circumstances they were in before, homeless, living in a group home or shelter, abusive living situations. I've had patients leave because they can't afford the treatment that they desperately need. Meanwhile, psychiatrists, case workers, nurses, and people like myself are buried under paperwork and overloaded with patients so we're not able to give our patients the attention they need or deserve. The system is broken.

Also, the amount of money you ACTUALLY receive while on disability? It's hardly enough to get by. These people aren't out blowing their money on mercedes and takeout every night. Pinching pennies is a necessity.

I personally cannot afford good enough insurance to see a therapist or be able to afford psych meds. I am mentally ill on a good day, but with the added stress of working full time, going to school full time, and living on my own, there are days when I cannot get out of bed.

In addition to psych conditions being terrifyingly real and terrifyingly crippling, the amount of support out there, monetary or otherwise, is laughable. I applaud this woman for even managing to get disability for depression, because it could not have been easy. Even if she is getting treatment so eventually she can go back to work, in the meantime she does still need a place to live, food, money for bills, etc.

Psych illnesses are a lifelong burden. There is no cure for them. The brain is a funny thing. It can respond well to certain meds for years, and then just stop. It can not respond to meds at all. It can only respond to something like ECT. You can have good days and bad days, good years and bad years. But the bottom line I think is that treatment for psych illnesses requires money and insurance. This is something not everyone has. (and yes, there are free/low cost options, but they're even more overworked/unable to provide patient care than regular options.) I've seen people in this thread say 'just get help' as if it's so simple. It's not. Whether it's because you're so depressed that you either don't feel you deserve help or you can't get out of bed to find help, or because you can't afford it, there is so much that goes into 'getting help' that many people give up before they even start.

Issues like this are complex. They are abstract. Just. . .keep that in mind, especially if you're lucky enough to never have experienced a psych illness.
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    OP: All I can say is, you are very lucky that you have obviously never experienced clinical depression. Would you say the same thing about someone who has been diagnosed with cancer? I highly doubt it. Both are illnesses. You seem to assume that this woman is not getting help for her depression while on disability. I highly doubt that. However, getting help for depression is complex and takes time. I struggle with clinical depression and generalized anxiety. The depression at one point was so bad that I couldn't even get out of bed and bathe myself. I was an undergrad at the time and lived at home - my dad basically didn't take any notice of the six months that I spent in bed, but since I was living at home, I didn't have to go on disability. However, it prolonged my studies.

Just because she might seem functional to you, doesn't mean she doesn't feel like she's dying inside. You don't know her history and you don't know her illness. And that's exactly what it is - an illness. I recently shocked someone by admitting to having a history of suicidal thoughts and tendencies. His response: "but you're always smiling." It's impossible to judge how someone is feeling from the outside.
  • runzalot81
    runzalot81 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    My husband is depressed. He works and is not on disability. However, there are times that his depression cripples our family, his job performance, his relationships and our finances. We have two family members that are on disability due to depression and I've seen how they live. No one is jealous of them.

It's obvious to me that the OP has never loved or befriended anyone with depression.
  • serenity216
    serenity216 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    If you have to ask, you've obviously never been clinically depressed.

Meds don't work for everyone. Therapy doesn't work for everyone. Just saying 'chin up' doesn't work for ANYONE.

I work at a psych hospital, and have a long history of mental illness. Mental illness is just as serious and pernicious as any physical ailment.

^^^^^THIS!!!! I would encourage your to educate yourself on Mental Health illness instead of making snap judgements.

My husband has PTSD is is fighting for disability. We have to start the process over because Social Security misplaced the paperwork even though the examiner supported his getting disablity. Is that "BS" Too?
  • Mgregory723
    Mgregory723 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I am fighting for SSI right now, I won't go into all of my medical issues (boring) but I did list depression as one of them. It is not easy getting disability especially when you don't have medical insurance and you cannot always get to the doctor and you need that documentation to help you fight. I don't want the money so much (although it would help too) as I want to be able to get medical treatment and my med's<----this is important!! I have been without my med's for a long time, not been working for a year and half and it's not like I don't want to work because I do! I hate sitting around it makes the depression worse, I can't do none of the stuff I use do do before my injuries.

I guess I don't understand why the need to bring it up here, in this forum and judge people? As far as you saying "wouldn't the money be better spent on treatment" I bet she is probably getting the best treatment she can get with having Medicare now that she is on SSI, but I could be wrong.
  • Ophidion
    Ophidion Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    Going to bed but wanted to add that emotional scars are often the deepest but you can't see them with your eyes, The most deafening cry of anguish or pain can not be heard when it echoes within someones head.

Have yet to meet anyone with a level of empathy where they are able to discern somebody's level of inner-turmoil from a brief encounter or passing conversation.
  • Stump_Likker
    Stump_Likker Posts: 2,059 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with PTSD after being assaulted by a customer. I was off of work for a year and couldn't leave my house. I fought my way out of it with medication and therapy and went back to work. Thankfully mine wasn't long term and I sympathize with those who are going through it.
  • marilynx
    marilynx Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Looks like OP is a little butthurt that she offended people and people are bringing up normal points. Good for her that she can handle life normally. I was in a mental hospital twice and I wasnt offered disability. I applied for it cause I'm advocating for myself. OP. All she likes to do is *roll eyes* and bring attention to all caps. It's kinda pointless. Why dont you, instead, address what people are saying, even if you don't like it. This is afterall a weight loss website and if you are choosing to mention something completely irrelevant on one of the forums, I think that people WILL lash out at you. Yeah, living on $866 a month, just barely enough for rent and food, and doing nothing is a "pathetic way to live" but it's my only option right now. I think this thread needs to die. Someone here is clearly not very empathetic.

*rolls eyes*

I posted this in the chit chat section of the forums. Nothing on this section is related to weight loss. As far as all caps, it's called sarcasm. I am sarcastic to people (like you) who instead of responding like an adult to my question decide to be sarcastic themselves. If you understood context (or maybe read my comments) you would probably understand that. Once again, reading is
    a lost art.
    Butt hurt, no. Apologetic, yes, including even to you. I didn't mean to offend. Would you rather me stick to my guns and argue against logical points people (like you) have presented? Maybe so, cause then you could continue to project your frustrations of being judged on me. I'm not going to coddle you just because I was wrong. If that's what you're looking for, you're not gonna get it from me.

@lynn

Yes ma'am. I understand your point. I will definitely keep what you said in mind. But I do believe it is possible to have depression and function. Your first line of what you said I don't agree with, but everything else I've come to understand already.
  • lynn1982
    Options
    Looks like OP is a little butthurt that she offended people and people are bringing up normal points. Good for her that she can handle life normally. I was in a mental hospital twice and I wasnt offered disability. I applied for it cause I'm advocating for myself. OP. All she likes to do is *roll eyes* and bring attention to all caps. It's kinda pointless. Why dont you, instead, address what people are saying, even if you don't like it. This is afterall a weight loss website and if you are choosing to mention something completely irrelevant on one of the forums, I think that people WILL lash out at you. Yeah, living on $866 a month, just barely enough for rent and food, and doing nothing is a "pathetic way to live" but it's my only option right now. I think this thread needs to die. Someone here is clearly not very empathetic.

*rolls eyes*

I posted this in the chit chat section of the forums. Nothing on this section is related to weight loss. As far as all caps, it's called sarcasm. I am sarcastic to people (like you) who instead of responding like an adult to my question decide to be sarcastic themselves. If you understood context (or maybe read my comments) you would probably understand that. Once again, reading is
    a lost art.
    Butt hurt, no. Apologetic, yes, including even to you. I didn't mean to offend. Would you rather me stick to my guns and argue against logical points people (like you) have presented? Maybe so, cause then you could continue to project your frustrations of being judged on me. I'm not going to coddle you just because I was wrong. If that's what you're looking for, you're not gonna get it from me.

@lynn

Yes ma'am. I understand your point. I will definitely keep what you said in mind. But I do believe it is possible to have depression and function. Your first line of what you said I don't agree with, but everything else I've come to understand already.

You don't think you're lucky that you don't suffer from clinical depression??? What is wrong with you?

Edited to add: it is *possible* to still function with depression. HOWEVER, it depends on the severity. Clinical depression is not simply being sad. When my depression is really bad, I want to kill myself. But then getting out of bed is too hard to actually do it. That's not just being sad. There's a difference.
  • weightlossdiva1219
    weightlossdiva1219 Posts: 283 Member
    Options

*rolls eyes*

a lost art.

@lynn

If you want an explanation for why I'm "not acting like an adult" here it is
    http://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/topics/borderline-personality-disorder/index.shtml
    I just hate when people put stigma on something that basically is who I am. Sorry that I get angry and passionate about it.
  • PhiloPray
    PhiloPray Posts: 36 Member
    Options

No, you don't SEE anything. You have no idea where I've come from, or what I've dealt with when it comes to depression. So no, you don't SEE a thing. Obviously it's not a made up thing. *rolls eyes*

Then why do YOU have the right to say ANYTHING?

Your comments are judgemental - sure. This has been pointed out. There are more-so ignorant. Leave your supposed sarcasm at the door then. You didnt bring it in initially and only threw it in after you were pointed out as judgemental. If you want to make a judgemental point then stand your ground - dont start to back out when the odds go against you. Right?

I stand by ALL these people on this forum who have suffered with mental illness and refuse to ask why someone receives help because of their pain is perceived as something they can brush off.

I am diagnosed with a severe mental illness myself, and have advocated for people who are both stigmatized, fall through the cracks, cannot get help, etc in an organization when I was in college. As well as through NAMI (National Alliance for Mental Illness) and a couple of support groups in my area. In between my helping others, I battle episodes myself.

As far as SSDI & SSI goes, to anyone that thinks it's easy to obtain, has no clue. Like some have said here they've have numerous issues that social security is denying them for help. Social security has Ticket-To-Work programs to get people back on their feet. Granted there are those that use and abuse the system, i'm mostly seeing people that want to continue to do something in life. Theres no benefit in doing nothing. Many people on SSI only make around around $700 or so. I've heard many belittle individuals for getting financial help. I dont see those that are on it being very excited about getting so little they can still barely live and recieving food stamps because they cannot work. It can be embarrassing.
  • marilynx
    Options

*rolls eyes*

a lost art.

@lynn

Sorry. I misunderstood what you were trying to say. I thought you were saying I've never been clinically depressed. You said I was lucky to not have been clinically depressed. My response should have been are you a psychiatrist who knows what my mental state was at the time? No, ok then, so you can't say I've never been clinically depressed. As for what's wrong with me, nothing.

Weightlossdiv

I understand. I get like that when it comes to children in the inner city and the educational system. Nothing wrong with passion. I will admit, this whole topic is more complex than I gave it credit for. Even getting the disability is difficult, to put it lightly. I seriously don't see it as a waste of money anymore, especially after what PP shared about her and her partner. I can't really say what's the best avenue to take when it comes to treatment because it all varies, but I will say that disability for depression is obviously given when depression is at its worse.
  • CooperSprings
    CooperSprings Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Ya'll need to chill.
    Everyone has their opinion.
    It's OK to disagree or agree or change your stance or whatever.
  • lynn1982
    Options
    Ya'll need to chill.

Actually, you need to "chill." Who are you to say that?? Depression is an illness. That's not an "opinion." It's a fact.
  • marilynx
    Options

No, you don't SEE anything. You have no idea where I've come from, or what I've dealt with when it comes to depression. So no, you don't SEE a thing. Obviously it's not a made up thing. *rolls eyes*

Then why do YOU have the right to say ANYTHING?

Your comments are judgemental - sure. This has been pointed out. There are more-so ignorant. Leave your supposed sarcasm at the door then. You didnt bring it in initially and only threw it in after you were pointed out as judgemental. If you want to make a judgemental point then stand your ground - dont start to back out when the odds go against you. Right?

I stand by ALL these people on this forum who have suffered with mental illness and refuse to ask why someone receives help because of their pain is perceived as something they can brush off.

I am diagnosed with a severe mental illness myself, and have advocated for people who are both stigmatized, fall through the cracks, cannot get help, etc in an organization when I was in college. As well as through NAMI (National Alliance for Mental Illness) and a couple of support groups in my area. In between my helping others, I battle episodes myself.

As far as SSDI & SSI goes, to anyone that thinks it's easy to obtain, has no clue. Like some have said here they've have numerous issues that social security is denying them for help. Social security has Ticket-To-Work programs to get people back on their feet. Granted there are those that use and abuse the system, i'm mostly seeing people that want to continue to do something in life. Theres no benefit in doing nothing. Many people on SSI only make around around $700 or so. I've heard many belittle individuals for getting financial help. I dont see those that are on it being very excited about getting so little they can still barely live and recieving food stamps because they cannot work. It can be embarrassing.

What gives me the right? I simply asked a question.

And leave my sarcasm at the door? Nah. Sorry. I won't. I say whatever the hell I wanna say, just like the people on here do.

As far as me being judgemental, let's say that if I was (I wasn't, but ok. People tend to think that if you don't agree with them or coddle them that you're judging them) you're saying that I shouldn't back back out since I can't stand on my point and that I'm being out numbered.

First of all, what kind of sense does that even make? So you're saying if someone was judging someone, then they see they shouldn't have been, they should continue on with their foolery just for the sale of standing by an irrational point? It's thinking like this that keep positive change from happening, because people don't want to take responsibility for when they're wrong. They argue it down, then get embarrassed and decide that out of sheer hard headedness they are gonna stick by their point.

Seriously, please tell me what kinda sense that makes. Or maybe you didn't bother to read my previous statements about me understanding how critical depression is. Then now I guess I can understand why you would say something so irrelevant. And even if for some reason I chose to not accept the points people brought up, if I didn't agree I don't agree. I don't care if I'm the only person in the world who thought contrary to what's popular. If I don't agree I don't agree. The reason why my mind was changed was due to people explaining to me how debilitating depression is.
  • marilynx
    Options

*rolls eyes*

a lost art.

@lynn

Sorry. I misunderstood what you were trying to say. I thought you were saying I've never been clinically depressed. You said I was lucky to not have been clinically depressed. My response should have been are you a psychiatrist who knows what my mental state was at the time? No, ok then, so you can't say I've never been clinically depressed. As for what's wrong with me, nothing.

Weightlossdiv

I understand. I get like that when it comes to children in the inner city and the educational system. Nothing wrong with passion. I will admit, this whole topic is more complex than I gave it credit for. Even getting the disability is difficult, to put it lightly. I seriously don't see it as a waste of money anymore, especially after what PP shared about her and her partner. I can't really say what's the best avenue to take when it comes to treatment because it all varies, but I will say that disability for depression is obviously given when depression is at its worse.

Actually, I can say that you've never been clinically depressed. If you had, then you wouldn't have started this thread in the first place. I actually hope you do suffer from clinical depression one day because you clearly deserve it (and I would never wish that on my worst enemy).

No, you cannot say I've never been clinically depressed. You don't know me or my childhood well enough to make that deduction. Just because I wasn't crippled to non functioning doesn't mean I wasn't clinically depressed.

And if you wouldn't wish that on your worst enemy..... But you'd wish it on me..... Then apparently you would wish it upon people other than your worst enemy. Therefore, you are not as sympathetic as you'd like to think. Oh well.

And seriously, you do need to chill. You came into the conversation late, don't know what you're talking about or arguing against (we are on the same page now about disability being needed for depression). So seriously, stop projecting your frustrations onto me.
  • CooperSprings
    CooperSprings Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Ya'll need to chill.

Actually, you need to "chill." Who are you to say that?? Depression is an illness. That's not an "opinion." It's a fact.

I am super chill.
    I am just someone trying to intervene with people getting testy with one another.
    That obviously didn't work, lol.
    I meant that people have all sorts of opinions on depression and it's OK for them to have them.
    I posted earlier in this thread to describe my thoughts on the depression/disability thing myself.
    I was enjoying reading things until people started getting uppity with one another.
    I didn't mean anything rude by it... Just meant to get you guys to step back and breath for a moment.
  • PhiloPray
    PhiloPray Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    OP doesnt have a clue. Shooing people off with "Nah"?

Here's the discussion.
    Heres your opinion.
    We've seen it.

You've seen the stories.
    Youve realized your judgements are unfounded whether they are your opinions are not. You have opinions. Great. Thats awesome. We all come to have them.

Though when you choose to express them, theres always a chance someone is going to shoot them down for some reason. But you cannot get "butthurt" over that fact. Some say butthurt, I say it for what it is, you've come to an embarrassment. Dont dismiss someone like me because I CHOSE to get mad at your opinion. You have a right. I have a right. So does everyone to say what they want and react to it how they want.
  • Smakt5
    Smakt5 Posts: 4
    Options
    Depression had me out work for over a year. With depression comes all kind off things people can not see, like anxiety attacks, scared to go out on the road, afraid meeting people and when you do try very hard to act "normal" because society does not accept illnesses they can not see. Thank God for mental care, medication, a lot of support from my husband and kids, I was able to go back work. I exercise every day, swim 80 laps continuously, changed my diet drastically, don,t drink or smoke anymore at all, but I,m not there yet. It is a hard road to travel because giving up is easier then fighting. So I Pray to God that the lady is getting the helps she needs, because that deep dark hole is a horrible place to be in.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options

*rolls eyes*

a lost art.

@lynn

Weightlossdiv

Actually, I can say that you've never been clinically depressed. If you had, then you wouldn't have started this thread in the first place. I actually hope you do suffer from clinical depression one day because you clearly deserve it (and I would never wish that on my worst enemy).
    in for wishing crippling illnesses on eachother. I'm assuming this is like World War Z where it's good to do so. I hope so anyway. Gogo gadget swine flu!
This discussion has been closed.