Fitbit Flex: love it?

Options
2»

Replies

• SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Maybe someone can help me ~ I was excited to get a fitbit flex yesterday, signed up on their website, but than when I went to sync to my laptop I got an error and my dashboard reads "no devices paired". So it's not logging my steps :sad:

I even tried to uninstall and start all over again ~ no good.

I tried calling customer service, closed til Monday. I searched & searched their help site, no luck. I wrote a message on fitbit website asking for help, no reply. I'm so disappointed & frustrated that I feel ready to just return it to Best Buy tomorrow and give up :angry:

Any help?? I admit I'm not savvy with electronics & such.

In addition to signing up on their website you also have to download Fitbit Connect on your computer and go through the steps to pair your Flex to your account. At the end you'll get a box on the screen saying the device was found and the pairing was complete. You also have to have the dongle plugged into your USB in order for it to sync - I keep mine plugged in all the time.

thanks! I did download fitbit connect on to my pc and went thru the steps. But obviously I messed up someplace or else maybe my laptop just won't handle it? I'm going to call their customer service tomorrow. I appreciate your reply Lepert :)
    Their customer service is nothing short of awesome. I lost my Fitbit One and they helped me out until I found it (hiding in the bottom of the hamper in the pocket of a pair of pants I thought I had thrown away the week before because the zipper was busted). If I hadn't found it, they would have sent me a new one. For FREE. A friend of mine had exactly that happen.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I'll be checking this thread because I just bought one for my son through Brookstone (with a Groupon!) for his birthday in September. There was a wait of several weeks so I bought early to be safe. :)

I have a Fitbit One and have used it regularly since Christmas. I love it! My only concern with it is that when I run it doesn't seem to keep an accurate distance. It seems fine when I walk (my steps and the steps it is counting are right on) but when I finish a run the Fitbit is showing a distance that is about 2/3 to 3/4 of what my GPS shows. It might have something to do with the fact that I run intervals but I don't know that for a fact. Has anyone else noticed this with either Fitbit?

I am not sure but I think there may be a way to measure your run stride and change that in the FitBit settings.

Edit: Yes if you go to settings, body info, there is an option to put in your walk and run stride. This will make it more accurate.
    Thanks. I have my run stride set and it's not really that much longer than my walk stride because I have short legs and I run for distance not speed. My understanding of how the Fitbit is supposed to work, however, is that it measures the distance you move and then divides by your stride to give you your step count and it's the distance that's off. For example, I'll go on a run that I KNOW is three miles and my GPS confirms that it's 3 miles but the Fitbit will show 2.25 miles.

Fitbit takes the number of steps and estimates distance based on your stride, so if your distance is off by that much you need to tweak your running stride more. It would be so much easier if it had GPS. With my Ultra my walking stride was accurate (checked it on a track) but later realized my running stride was way off. I ran a 5K course so I knew that I had gone 3.1 miles but my Fitbit gave me credit for going over 4. I haven't tested it on my Flex.
    Thanks, I'll play with it a bit and see if I can tweak it better. I'm sure part of the problem is that I run intervals.
  • BChanFit
    BChanFit Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I LOVE my fitbit One! And it syncs to MFP so nicely. If anyone wants to be fitbit friends just let me know! :)
  • Shadowcub
    Shadowcub Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I love my Flex! It doesn't do "floors" but I've heard enough horror stories of a storm system rolling in registering as hundreds of floors that I don't mind! One of these days, I'll get up to sedentary without being run ragged helping friends prep for a trip....
  • Woxer
    Woxer Posts: 2
    Options
    Did you get your little wireless "dongle" plugged in to your USB port before you tried syncing? I just got my fitbit today, and missed doing it the first time I tried syncing. It has to be plugged in to pair the device.
  • allstatemom
    allstatemom Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I was thinking about getting a Jawbone, but I can't because I do not have a smartphone. (Insert audible gasp) Anyway, I have been reading about the Fitbit Flex. Can it be used without a smartphone?
  • Happylady123
    Happylady123 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    For the record, I am using by Fitbit Flex effortlessly now and loving it. It is a learning curve like everything else, but so worth it in the end.
  • caseypaige84
    caseypaige84 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I just bought one yesterday and so far I love it. Very easy to set up and use. Looking forward to moving more.
  • Meemoland
    Meemoland Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    my GPS on my phone is way out - says I'm running further than I really am - fitbit (once you input your stride length) is actually quite accurate. I recently did a 5K and my phone said I'd run 3.7 miles
  • Meemoland
    Meemoland Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    and yes you can do it through your computer - app is just convenient
  • MarileeP
    MarileeP Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Had mine for 3 days and love it so far. Potentially "duh" question about logging exercise - somewhere (I think it was MFP) I read that you have to put your exercise start time into MFP for the fitbit to record accurately - do you also put your total time in? There are places for both when logging exercise.