hi i need someones option

Options

Replies

• BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    What exactly do you want to tone with 1 pound weights?

Tone is the normal tension of muscle at rest. Are you aiming to increase the tension of muscle at rest?

The only way to do that is to strengthen the muscle with actual resistance and do something that the muscle finds difficult.

A can of coke weighs 12 ounces, so not quite a pound, and I'm guessing you already do hundreds of reps using those. Maybe switch to 20 ounce bottles?
  • ken_hogan
    ken_hogan Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Why is quitting soda unrealistic cause i enjoy it i only have 3a day i just know i wont stick with it that why i only allow3 a day

Like some others have mentioned also....try to give it up. That may be the ONE thing that is preventing you from reaching your goal.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    My goal weight is 110 ,then i wanna tone up my arms stomach and legs dont want muscle just tone plus im only using 2 1lb weights

So ignoring the bit about toning cause /sigh.

Now, and this may come off as mean, but do you really think 1lb weights are going to challenge your muscles enough to develop them in any meaningful way? I imagine your purse weighs more than a pound. Ever picked up and rocked a baby/toddler? More than a pound. Carry your groceries? Again, more than a pound.

Maybe you should aim for something that...you know, makes your muscles work.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Option?????

Are you really mocking her for her typo/ grammar mistake?
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    My goal weight is 110 ,then i wanna tone up my arms stomach and legs dont want muscle just tone plus im only using 2 1lb weights
    I don't understand what you're asking for. If you don't want muscle tone, what kind of tone do you want? And what do you think lifting the weights that weigh less then your purse is accomplishing? What is the goal for the 1lb weights in other words. Trying to get my head around the problem.
  • christy38
    christy38 Posts: 12
    Options
    Well im just starting out with weights number1 doing bob harpers inside out method and yes u use any weight long enough its going to get heavy so im starting out with one pound weights and also for a person not use to weights they are going to feel heaver after a while. And also ill do bigger as i become more in shape i dont need snotty comments either
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options
    I don't understand what you're asking for. If you don't want muscle tone, what kind of tone do you want? And what do you think lifting the weights that weigh less then your purse is accomplishing? What is the goal for the 1lb weights in other words. Trying to get my head around the problem.

Me, too, I'm a wee bit confused.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    Well im just starting out with weights number1 doing bob harpers inside out method and yes u use any weight long enough its going to get heavy so im starting out with one pound weights and also for a person not use to weights they are going to feel heaver after a while. And also ill do bigger as i become more in shape i dont need snotty comments either

No one is being snotty, we're trying to better understand your needs/goals/desires and offer honest and, hopefully, helpful advice.

I started off out of shape and with no experience with weights, and still started with heavier than one pounders (8's and 15's for squats and lunges). My purse is five pounds right now (I weighed it) and I carry it for hours without it feeling 'heavy'. It is very unlikely that you'll actually do much, body comp wise, with one pound weights.

No one is trying to be snotty in pointing this out, just trying to help you achieve your goals.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Why is quitting soda unrealistic cause i enjoy it i only have 3a day i just know i wont stick with it that why i only allow3 a day

Only 3!?
  • christy38
    Options
    Ok well ill just usethem for when i do my 2.6 miles on my tredmill for hour
  • StephConey
    StephConey Posts: 18
    Options
    As someone stated before, you're at a healthy weight right now. As far as the soda, drink it. BUT have you tried alternatives to soda? Like club soda (seltzer/tonic water?) flavored with a natural juice? That may help you come off soda if you are willing to try. I drink soda, too so I don't knock it altogether. :-)

If you up your weights and build a little more muscle, you will enable yourself to burn calories a bit more efficiently. Muscle maintenance requires a bit more calorie consumption than if you only tone what you have a present. Don't be afraid of the weights. Grab a couple 5lb-ers and go for it, honey!

As far as others thinking 1lb weights do nothing...that's not true. I used 3lb weights in my old zumba class and my after holding those things for so long I was ready to cry. Any weight will incite a challenge if utilized correctly.

And one more thing, you will have to work really hard for those last 5 lbs. So increase the intensity of your cardio. Get you hr in the proper zone and keep it there for 30-45 minutes. When you strength train, aim for soreness tomorrow, not agonizing pain right away. These tactics may mean changing your lifestyle a bit so make sure you can make time to make efforts.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Ok well ill just usethem for when i do my 2.6 miles on my tredmill for hour

You do 2.6miles in an hour?
  • MinatoandClover
    MinatoandClover Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I'd cut out the rest of your pop, too. As someone who used to drink pop religiously, I know how difficult it is to quit, but I really think that's probably holding you back. There are a ton of calories and sugar in pop. One 12oz can of Dr. Pepper is 150 calories. Six are 900. Three are 450. (Wasn't sure if you meant cut 6 out or cut down to 6.) Three would be a whole meal in and of itself and six would be almost your whole day's worth of calories. That's not to say you can't have any pop, but maybe try one a day or one every few days. Pop really adds on the calories without you even realizing it. Try substituting with water. If you're like a lot of people and don't like straight up water, try it with a bit of lemon. You could also have sugar-free tea, which has no calories or put flavor shots into your water. Personally, I like Kraft MIO. It really helped me transition to water. Anyway, I think your pop intake is probably what's holding you back. If you reduce your intake, you'll probably start seeing better results. Hope this helps!
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    I hope it's not my comment that you thought was snotty. Since your goal doesn't make much sense (in all honesty it's contradicting itself, and there are to many definitions of tone), I'm going to assume you just want to get slimmer and feel firmer? The people I think you may think are snotty are trying to help you with that in the most efficent way. What you are doing would be better suited towards a different goal, not a firming up goal, say if their goal was endurance for your lung/heart and a lot of weight loss for the higher calorie burn (since it's more cardio then strength). You seem to think lifting 1lb weights will firm you up like crazy because your arms feel tired. You are likely going to be repeatedly corrected for that, since that's not by any stretch of the imagination the best idea...Take it from someone who did the whole many rep thing for a few months, it can help you move around more, but the amount it firms you up is rather minimal comparitively to many other altneratives (since your goal appears to be firming up). You asked for peoples opinions. If your goal is firming up, you're going about it in a very inefficient way that will yield minimal results.
  • christy38
    Options
    To the question of do i do 2.6 in a hour actually 63 min total
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    first to comment about the soda, its great that you cut down, and yeah its VERY hard to completely cut something out.. but 3 12 ounce cans of Dr Pepper is 450 calories. That's a significant percentage of your daily calories being "wasted" on empty calories.
    To the question of do i do 2.6 in a hour actually 63 min total

I'm not saying this to be snobby at ALL so please don't take it that way, it's just reality... unless you are extremely out of shape from a cardiovascular perspective, this is really slow and probably not giving you the serious calorie burn you are looking for. I know I am very very slow, and I do about 2.5 miles in about 40-45 minutes (and i am also short like you, so my stride is short, too)

Lastly to reiterate what others are saying... You do not need to lose pounds. No I am not some fat girl saying "oh stop you don't need to lose weight!" lol. The fact is, that at your weight and size, the way you look has pretty much zero to do with what the scale says. My sister weighs more now than she did when she was flabbier... why? Because she's densely packed full of muscle. Her body fat is seriously low, yes, but there are girls who weight a lot less than her who don't look nearly as good. Stop looking at the scale. Take photos of yourself and measurements. Work on building muscle, which also speeds up your metabolism, so it's win-win. And yes, as others have said, 1lb weights aren't going to do much to help you in that regard. As people on these boards are fond of saying, you need to take some heavy things and pick them up and put them down!
  • badwolves
    badwolves Posts: 33
    Options
    I drank 4 8fl oz of water yesterday

Drink more water and less soda. You're bloating yourself.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    wow, SODA....., get off that crap.
    drink whiskey.
  • danielledrinkwine1
    danielledrinkwine1 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Does your treadmill have workouts that vary speed and incline? Instead of doing a set amount of miles you should vary your workout this worked for me. I'm not a runner but I use workouts that go up to 4mph with a ten percent incline. There is a lot of research coming out that shows adding "bursts" of speed into your workout actually increases the amount of calories burned.
  • Scubanana7
    Scubanana7 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    As far as soda, this worked for my17-year old daughter. She stopped it cold turkey after her genius science teacher showed them how a coke (or Dr Pepper) could effectively CLEAN the white acid buildup on a car battery and also clean the oil spill off concrete. He then explained that it takes calcium from you bones to aid in digestion of soda. In other words, your bones unwillingly DONATE calcium to you digestive system to digest the soda. Scary, huh?

My main concern is that 450 calories of your daily allowance (of 1200) is dutricious Dr Pepper. So you are getting only 750 calories of food? AGAIN, SCARY. Now that you have made the awesome task of cutting from 9 sodas to 3, which is GREAT, maybe you could cut one more. In a few weeks, cut another. Keep one a day if that truly makes you happy. And make sure you get calcium rich foods to aid the digestive system.

For the treadmill, I am 58 and I warm up on 3 miles/hour. I generally do 3.5, up to 4.0. If you are just beginning, then 2.6 is okay, but you should increase it every day or two to get results. As for weights, everyone is right about doing more. I believe I understand that you are not wanting to get big muscles. Well, for a female, that is pretty impossible without going ALL OUT at the gym with the boys. In other words, it would have to be intentional, take a trememdous effort both at the gym and dietary. So you can lay your fears to rest about getting muscular. It simply won't happen by doing a heavier weight routine.

Good Luck.