Binge Eating: HELP

Options
Hi fellow MFP-ers

I am reading through threads about the topic of binge eating, and some of the tips and lists seem really helpful. I have been struggling with binge eating a lot lately. I'd say for my whole life. I won't go into a loooong story, but I have been getting migraines (severe ones, although I've had them for years) and I think the binging is getting worse due to my migraine symptoms.
Every day, when I wake up after having binged the night before, I think to myself "I will NOT binge today. Today WILL be different because I am motivated!" I seriously think this way. I end up having a great morning after doing my daily 4-5 mile walk. I am VERY new to the idea of opening up about my binge eating, so I really appreciate the constructive feedback. I hate my relationship with food :( I mean, don't get me wrong: I really enjoy food, but sometimes when life gets hard, I take my eating to the next level in order to cope with problems. I'm sure a lot of people on here can relate. I'd really appreciate some tips/suggestions. What's worked for you to help you walk away from a binge and/or prevent one from happening?

I just ate probably 3 servings of birthday cake and I am not exaggerating. I feel so embarrassed and ashamed. I need to STOP and am determined, all I am asking for is some support. Thanks to all in advance. :)

Replies

• Sewweaver
    Sewweaver Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Do you know what happens immediately before you binge? Do you what triggers this is there a pattern? Have you considered doing some journaling, not just about food but what you are feeling and thinking and times, circumstances?
  • juliakessel7
    Options
    Do you know what happens immediately before you binge? Do you what triggers this is there a pattern? Have you considered doing some journaling, not just about food but what you are feeling and thinking and times, circumstances?

I have thought about making a journal. I think that's a great idea to get thoughts/feelings onto paper so they're tangible. I'm not even sure in the moment why I want to binge. I know it's stress/mood-related :/
  • princesswarrior1116
    princesswarrior1116 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I sometimes struggle with this as well. May I add you as a friend? Maybe we can help each other stay on track. I am a 49 year old police detective. I have two boys aged 13 and 14. I've been dieting her on MFP and wearing a fitbit to monitor my workouts. I'm doing much better with regards to binge eating, but I have to admit, I sometimes find myself stuffing my face and then making myself throw up. I've never shared this info with anyone in my family. It would be nice to have someone else around who understands the struggle.
  • lifeskittles
    lifeskittles Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I was a binge eater for a long time and honestly, the only thing that helped was to "stop" trying to diet. After I went for a few weeks allowing myself to eat what I wanted throughout the day without worrying about it I A) only gained like 2 lbs and B) when I went back to eating on a "diet" (not really a diet) I just made some healthier choices and included unhealthy choices. I don't tell myself no ever. I tell myself, "just eat some". So instead of maybe eating 4 pieces of cake and a box of pizza in one sitting, Maybe during the week I'll have a piece of cake and some pizza, maybe some truffles and a chocolate bar or something spread throughout the week. This way of eating has really helped a lot, and helped with my weight yoyoing. Now I'm back to steadily losing weight, and I don't feel angry at myself when I eat something bad because its "allowed"
  • juliakessel7
    Options
    I sometimes struggle with this as well. May I add you as a friend? Maybe we can help each other stay on track. I am a 49 year old police detective. I have two boys aged 13 and 14. I've been dieting her on MFP and wearing a fitbit to monitor my workouts. I'm doing much better with regards to binge eating, but I have to admit, I sometimes find myself stuffing my face and then making myself throw up. I've never shared this info with anyone in my family. It would be nice to have someone else around who understands the struggle.

Please feel free to add me! I'd love to support one another! We will work through this.
  • juliakessel7
    Options
    I was a binge eater for a long time and honestly, the only thing that helped was to "stop" trying to diet. After I went for a few weeks allowing myself to eat what I wanted throughout the day without worrying about it I A) only gained like 2 lbs and B) when I went back to eating on a "diet" (not really a diet) I just made some healthier choices and included unhealthy choices. I don't tell myself no ever. I tell myself, "just eat some". So instead of maybe eating 4 pieces of cake and a box of pizza in one sitting, Maybe during the week I'll have a piece of cake and some pizza, maybe some truffles and a chocolate bar or something spread throughout the week. This way of eating has really helped a lot, and helped with my weight yoyoing. Now I'm back to steadily losing weight, and I don't feel angry at myself when I eat something bad because its "allowed"

Wow. That's awesome you were able to overcome your struggle with Binge Eating. Do you suggest I just eat healthfully (like sensible portions) and eat that way without writing things down all day for a few weeks? I know I am accountable. I think I just get too hung up over counting calories, when I KNOW how to eat to stay healthy. I have yo-yo'ed for the past 2 years. Went from weighing 110 to 115 now 127. so frustrating! I'm 5'2". Thanks for the info :)
  • cmdoiy
    cmdoiy Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I also struggle with binge eating and often feel ashamed of myself. I find it helps to avoid any "trigger" foods to begin with. There are certain foods I just can't have around me. For example, I can't buy a loaf of bread from the bakery because I will eat the entire thing by myself, sometimes in just one day.

It also helps to be completely honest when logging the stuff I eat. I keep my diary open, and I've had a couple of days this past week where I went over by more than 1,500 calories. I'm embarrassed for my friends to see what I eat, but I also feel I need to be truthful with myself. I need to be accountable for what goes in my mouth. Sometimes during a binge, I lose track of all the food I consume. This is my on-going struggle, but I'm way better off now than I was before I started MFP seven months ago.

Feel free to add me as a friend.
  • WildcatMom82
    WildcatMom82 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I'm at work right now, but commenting to save this. I'll come back and respond in a bit!
  • starryvagabond
    starryvagabond Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I am also a binge eater and I find it takes a lot of willpower to tell myself to stop or to not even start. There's nothing worse than that feeling of being out of control. I haven't found any real solution to it other than therapy or confronting the reason why you're eating. Sometimes, even if you don't think so, there's an underlying reason.

Feel free to add me as a friend. I'm very supportive. <3
  • _EndGame_
    _EndGame_ Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    When you go for your walks in a morning, are you having breakfast? If not, it's kind of essential to have breakfast. If you exercise with no fuel, you'll run out of energy, and start to get headaches, cravings, etc.

Have breakfast, do your workout, have something after your work out, then continue with your daily routine. My point is, eat often, don't let yourself feel hungry. If you're not hungry, you won't feel the need to binge.

I personally always have fruit on hand if I get hungry, it's a quick, healthy and convenient thing to snack on.

Good luck!
  • juliakessel7
    Options
    I'm at work right now, but commenting to save this. I'll come back and respond in a bit!

Thank you so much!
  • juliakessel7
    Options
    When you go for your walks in a morning, are you having breakfast? If not, it's kind of essential to have breakfast. If you exercise with no fuel, you'll run out of energy, and start to get headaches, cravings, etc.

Have breakfast, do your workout, have something after your work out, then continue with your daily routine. My point is, eat often, don't let yourself feel hungry. If you're not hungry, you won't feel the need to binge.

I personally always have fruit on hand if I get hungry, it's a quick, healthy and convenient thing to snack on.

Good luck!

I 100% agree. Breakfast is a must, and I always eat it. I never skip a bfast! I literally cannot function without at least 250 calories in the morning. Thanks for the tips:)
  • princesswarrior1116
    princesswarrior1116 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Wow! I am the same way! I can't buy certain foods because I can't resist them. I just try to avoid them completely. Just last week I had a problem with this. I bought a bunch of junk food snacks for my kids because they had friends staying over. I ate an entire bag of doritos (a big one) and four nutty buddies (not sure of the spelling) and then made myself throw it all up. Disgusting! I hate when I do this. Thankfully, it doesn't happen often, but when it does, I feel terrible. I always respsond the next day by eating perfectly and exercising like a maniac.
  • juliakessel7
    Options
    I am also a binge eater and I find it takes a lot of willpower to tell myself to stop or to not even start. There's nothing worse than that feeling of being out of control. I haven't found any real solution to it other than therapy or confronting the reason why you're eating. Sometimes, even if you don't think so, there's an underlying reason.

Feel free to add me as a friend. I'm very supportive. <3

Thank you so much! I am highly considering therapy.
  • SyntonicGarden
    SyntonicGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    I also struggle with binge eating and often feel ashamed of myself. I find it helps to avoid any "trigger" foods to begin with. There are certain foods I just can't have around me. For example, I can't buy a loaf of bread from the bakery because I will eat the entire thing by myself, sometimes in just one day.

It also helps to be completely honest when logging the stuff I eat. I keep my diary open, and I've had a couple of days this past week where I went over by more than 1,500 calories. I'm embarrassed for my friends to see what I eat, but I also feel I need to be truthful with myself. I need to be accountable for what goes in my mouth. Sometimes during a binge, I lose track of all the food I consume. This is my on-going struggle, but I'm way better off now than I was before I started MFP seven months ago.

Spot on with the recommendation about not buying the loaf of bread. Up until my husband (then boyfriend) moved in, I didn't have ANY crap in the house unless someone was coming to visit. I kept lots of fruit handy and "binged" on that. I also second the part about letting go a little bit with the intense tracking. Calling attention to it sometimes makes it worse. I "gave up" logging my food "for Lent" to see if I could do it. (That's not meant to be insulting to Catholics... It was just a concept I could wrap my head around and it worked. I didn't gain 40 lbs. I didn't even really gain 4 and learned to trust myself a little more...)

I agree with tracking your mood too. I actually set up the "Weigh In" part of MFP to track my mood, how rested I feel, and how many hours sleep I got on a scale of 1 - 10. Each time I go into it, I put in 0 for all values first to reset if from the previous day's values (0, tab key, 0, tab key) and try not to look at the values that were there. I've learned that the days that I'm less rested or got the least amount of sleep are usually the more difficult days... :)

I've also found that drinking water helps a lot too. If you have a bottle with markings on it (22 ounces / 200 mL) and keep track of making sure you get your water in, it helps you shift your focus and keeps you feeling fuller, longer. :) That and if you're drinking enough water, the extra time you'd have to binge is spent getting rid of the water. ;)
  • juliakessel7
    Options

Thanks for your support. I agree that their are "trigger" foods and I know what they are (ice cream, cake, any sweets/desserts). Otherwise, I can eat normally with most foods. I think I am going to open my diary tonight.
  • dlionsmane
    dlionsmane Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    I think Journaling is a good start. If you know it is stress related, can you meditate? I don't think I have an issue with binge eating but I know what works for me is eating regularly throughout the day. Several small meals each about 300-500 calories that contain all the elements (protein, carbs and fat) I also allow myself chocolate every day. (2 TBLSP of nestle mini chocolate chips). I can't give expert advise on anything, but my suggestion would be write what you are thinking down and maybe try meditating on it for a time before you go to the kitchen or area where the food is? Good luck and add me if want.
  • juliakessel7
    Options

Spot on with the recommendation about not buying the loaf of bread. Up until my husband (then boyfriend) moved in, I didn't have ANY crap in the house unless someone was coming to visit. I kept lots of fruit handy and "binged" on that. I also second the part about letting go a little bit with the intense tracking. Calling attention to it sometimes makes it worse. I "gave up" logging my food "for Lent" to see if I could do it. (That's not meant to be insulting to Catholics... It was just a concept I could wrap my head around and it worked. I didn't gain 40 lbs. I didn't even really gain 4 and learned to trust myself a little more...)

I agree with tracking your mood too. I actually set up the "Weigh In" part of MFP to track my mood, how rested I feel, and how many hours sleep I got on a scale of 1 - 10. Each time I go into it, I put in 0 for all values first to reset if from the previous day's values (0, tab key, 0, tab key) and try not to look at the values that were there. I've learned that the days that I'm less rested or got the least amount of sleep are usually the more difficult days... :)

I've also found that drinking water helps a lot too. If you have a bottle with markings on it (22 ounces / 200 mL) and keep track of making sure you get your water in, it helps you shift your focus and keeps you feeling fuller, longer. :) That and if you're drinking enough water, the extra time you'd have to binge is spent getting rid of the water. ;)

Those are such great suggestions about tracking your mood/sleep/feelings through mfp. I think I'll try that or at least write it down somewhere if I can't figure out how to do that exactly! I need to be drinking more water. Thanks so much!
  • juliakessel7
    Options
    I think Journaling is a good start. If you know it is stress related, can you meditate? I don't think I have an issue with binge eating but I know what works for me is eating regularly throughout the day. Several small meals each about 300-500 calories that contain all the elements (protein, carbs and fat) I also allow myself chocolate every day. (2 TBLSP of nestle mini chocolate chips). I can't give expert advise on anything, but my suggestion would be write what you are thinking down and maybe try meditating on it for a time before you go to the kitchen or area where the food is? Good luck and add me if want.

My mom is actually really into meditation, and I've done it 2 times. I really am spending this month before school starts to center myself, or at least try to start centering my mind, so that I can eat more normally. I am going to start journaling tonight!
  • ktmcdee
    ktmcdee Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I sent you a message already, but I wanted to reply on here as well so others can see. I have the same exact issue. I don't know why I do it, but I lose control. I feel like something that can help all of us is to support each other and hopefully try to keep each other accountable. People who don't have a problem binging just don't seem to understand it, and I'm realizing lately that support could be the best thing. Feel free to add me (anyone else with this problem as well) and we can hopefully support each other. :) I really hope we can gain control with this, because the guilt can be so bad!