You're not "special"

Options

Replies

• onwarddownward
    onwarddownward Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    Soup diet.

Well, misery loves company. Especially if you're the one selling the soup.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    One friend took it a step farther on an outing recently. "Oh, you want ice cream? Do you have the caloric room for that today??" I smiled and simply said, "I guess if I want the ice cream, I can take the long walk or do some aerobics to make up for it. Her response, "I didn't know you could exercise to eat more food." *sigh*

So what would be the answer for those who don't want to take a long walk or do some aerobics to make up for indulgences? This is a sincere question ;)
    One day won't hurt, but continually doing it will put one in above calorie limit to lose weight. Exercise can help offset calories, but it's tough to out exercise a bad diet.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Everyday at the gym or just conversing with people, I get asked what "special" diet I'm on to stay fit. Lol, when I ask them which day are they talking about, they are like "wuh?".

IDEA Fitness member
  • peeaanuut
    peeaanuut Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    This is why I hate when people ask or remark about me being on a diet. I tell them that I am just choosing to eat better and they give me a snarky look like I am going to fail. Which is really the opposite. You know, cause their uncles 3rd cousins nephews neighbors boss did the peanut butter and pickled pigs knuckles diet and lost 200lbs in 3 minutes.
  • ThriceBlessed
    ThriceBlessed Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Completely agree, I DO use shakeology, but for the vitamins and protein, not because I believe I will automatically lose weight because I drink a shake. My main focus is keeping my calories in less than my calories out.
  • jenifr818
    jenifr818 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    This is why I hate when people ask or remark about me being on a diet. I tell them that I am just choosing to eat better and they give me a snarky look like I am going to fail. Which is really the opposite. You know, cause their uncles 3rd cousins nephews neighbors boss did the peanut butter and pickled pigs knuckles diet and lost 200lbs in 3 minutes.

That "pickled pigs knuckles" diet sounds .... intriguing, to say the least :laugh:
  • Mock_Turtle
    Mock_Turtle Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    so true. Losing weight is a grind.

You set your gameplan in terms of calories consumed, and then you stick to it. Just keep grinding, slowly but surely and the results follow. No magic, just math.
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    What I am saying here is that unless one is suffering from a health issue or a reaction to certain foods, then eating a calorie deficit is what one needs to do to lose weight.

Not some special diet, supplement, concoction, shake, meal timing, carb manipulation, etc. All of them have one thing in common when trying to get one to lose weight.......................less calorie intake vs calories burned.

Don't think that you're NOT going to be the one who regains after getting off some special diet. 90% plus do and odds aren't in your favor.
    Some will say that they have control though. Apparently people have control over their money and spending, yet the majority of people still live paycheck to paycheck or are just scrapping by.

What's the point here?

You don't NEED to spend extra money on carefully thought out diet plans that were concocted to make money for the seller.
    Just eat less and move a little more.

That's not to say you can't enhance your body with exercise, but it just boils down to calorie in/calories out when it comes to actual weight loss.

IDEA Fitness member

God bless you richly my brother! What a tremendous and humbling message this is. Humble pie topped with load of sweet truth is one of my all time favorite RICH treats and you've served up a most hearty and healthy portion for me (and undoubtedly others) via this post and for that, I thank you so much...you ROCK sir!

:love: :drinker: :glasses: :heart: :glasses: :drinker: :love:
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    bumping to include that this works for those wanting to gain weight too.

eat more, move less (and lift some heavy stuff)
  • wyogal79
    wyogal79 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    So true. I'm tired of seeing people on these forums give advice like "Well for ME, mfp wasn't working. I HAVE to cut out sugar to lose weight. Try cutting sugar out of your diet!" Again, unless you have a special medical condition, you don't HAVE to cut out anything to lose. And are you going to just never eat sugar again for the rest of your life?

And the scams you have to pay for are even worse.

If I had to cut sugar out of my diet,I would be screwed! LOL I agree,You don't have to cut out anything..just fit it in with your calorie intake and use moderation. You don't have to deprive yourself at all
  • TheEffort
    TheEffort Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    Booyah!! To the OP - awesome post.

8488541.png
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    limited_edition_zps47a4425a.jpg
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    I guess I must be way off the radar with trendy weight loss fads....I just realized while reading this thread that Shakeology and Shakeweight are NOT the same thing.

38efff79-aec8-4612-a81d-d3f372953897_zpsf477d4bd.jpg

Oh wait, maybe they are. :laugh:

Hahahaha!
    You kill me.
    Oh, I wish we would have worked at the same location. I don't know that we would have gotten much work done though.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    I have pigs knuckles in my diet..........................

IDEA Fitness member
  • kdonahue21
    Options
    I just started my fitness journey and this was the perfect thing for me to read as I begin. Thank you!
  • blytheny
    blytheny Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Thank you, this was really good to read right now... I have a friend who has recently become a "life coach" for Metalife products, and although her weight loss has been great, and now some of her "clients" are seeing positive results, I can't help but wonder where they will be in a year or two. She's tried to recruit me, even though I only have about 15 more to lose, and I've tried to come up with a number of different polite ways to say, "no thanks, I don't want a diet, I've just changed my relationship to food and now understand the physical science behind it all, and believe it's a "calories in / calories expended" relationship."

So this was a great reminder to keep up my own good work, keep track of my food, keep moving more & more and just LIVING, not dieting! Thanks!!
  • xsava11x
    xsava11x Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    YES! A lady asked my how I lost weight, I told her exercising/lifting. She laughed and said no way she'd do that, too much effort.

My friend went on the Dr. Bernstein diet because she wants fast results. She gave up on 'eating right' and 'exercising' after a month due to not seeing results. I want to be supportive but I cannot when she is choosing to do it this way.
  • siqiniq
    siqiniq Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Very well written... I needed to read this. Thank you:flowerforyou:

Well written? Are you kidding?
  • ninerbuff
    Options

Elaborate on how it should have been written. I usually use the KISS method.

IDEA Fitness member
  • peeaanuut
    peeaanuut Posts: 359 Member
    Options

Elaborate on how it should have been written. I usually use the KISS method.

IDEA Fitness member

I think you missed a comma. 2 lashes.