Coalition of Healthy Geeks and Gamers Thread

Options

Replies

• DancingDreamer
    Options
    i could use that extra exp, dang do i need to level up! XD

Final Fantasy (ok anything by Square Enix, they own my soul, and lots of my money XD), currently playing Legend of Zelda Phantom Hourglass on my DS (of which i named Miles after the character from the Phoenix Wright games by capcom (Miles wears a pink suit...and my DS is pink....yes...obviously...i'm a GIANT dork))

i'll be honest i LOVE girly games for my DS but i also ADORE fighting games like Tekken.

i also have played table top games in the past and i'm TECHNICALLY playing one right now with my BF and his friends but we haven't played in FOREVER soooooo yeah.

board games, computer games, video games, table top games, you name it, i've played it. i'm pretty much just a giant geek! and i love every second of it! :)
  • Sara1978
    Sara1978 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Just a thought...

MFP should institute Achievements. ;)
  • Adusenka
    Adusenka Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Just a thought...

Ye we should make a petition about it or something, great idea :D
    something like.. when you lose 1/4 of what you wanna lose you get an achi etc :D
  • Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    ah, thanks :)

btw.. does anyone else find it really hard to balance school (work), workouts and games together? :))

I have just deleted sleep from my lifestyle (mostly). I try to get about 4 hours a night. I get up at 3:30-4am.
    Running
    Work
    School
    Work
    Home stuff
    Homework
    Games or read
    Sleep (11-12pm)

:ohwell:

Eating healthy has just been smaller portions and chewing gum instead of unhealthy snacking. Gaming and eating used to go hand and hand for me. I stopped eating while gaming or doing a heavy workout before long weekend games.
  • Adusenka
    Options

btw.. does anyone else find it really hard to balance school (work), workouts and games together? :))

I have just deleted sleep from my lifestyle (mostly). I try to get about 4 hours a night. I get up at 3:30-4am.
    Running
    Work
    School
    Work
    Home stuff
    Homework
    Games or read
    Sleep (11-12pm)

:ohwell:

Eating healthy has just been smaller portions and chewing gum instead of unhealthy snacking. Gaming and eating used to go hand and hand for me. I stopped eating while gaming or doing a heavy workout before long weekend games.

Wow thats insane :D I loove my long sleeps :) I will have to figure it out my way :)
  • KarenBorter
    KarenBorter Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    Haha good topic/thread

WoW, 360 games, Dragon Age etc. :)
  • Sara1978
    Sara1978 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    In past tabletop rpging groups, when we would go over to the houses of other people, we'd all eat chips and candy while gaming (as is traditional, I think.) My husband is DMing our current D&D game, so since it is over at my house, I generally put out one bag of chips for the people who want them, and then put out a veggie platter for whoever would like that. I've actually had several of the people in the group compliment me for offering something different than chips and soda for a change.
  • Sauchie
    Sauchie Posts: 357 Member
    Options

I have made it a habit not to game till after i work out. I think of it as a daily reward & I'll do stretching or crunches in my chair. I only raid 2 nights a week 3 hours each night so its not much and during trash i get up and wander around.
  • tjkwentus
    Options
    hey all,

I'm a 22 year old college student (Information Systems/Info Technology major) , PC and X360 gamer (with a bit of Wii on the side)... totally a Mass Effect/Halo/Modern Warfare addict. My girlfriend got me into MFP since we're both trying to lose some weight. I'm really liking this site because it's forcing me to be responsible, like it's keeping all the counts for me and everything. I put on a lot of weight because of gaming, used to spend hours a day playing. The good news is my busy schedule keeps the gaming habit in check and moderated.
  • morrigu
    Options
    wow here :) mostly playing a priest guess my tag go on:P
  • emilysparey
    Options
    i love mmorpgs....tried wow out but wasnt cute enough then i found maple story....im an archer ^_^ and i have a pet panda called spooky....yes....im lame, but its too cute
  • jtsmou
    jtsmou Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    Just about all of the above at one time or another.
  • rfialkiewicz
    rfialkiewicz Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I treat myself like my mom treated me as a teenager. For every 30 min I spend working out is 1 hour I can play. Every 30 min I spend writing in my books is 1 hour I can play.

I no longer have school to worry about but I am an author.

Work is a work out as I'm waiting tables and it's all hours on my feet.
  • vachegomoo
    Options
    Ooo ooo experience for me too! I'm mostly on the PS2, PS3, DS, and a little Wii. Definitely RPGs. I'm not really into MMOs, tried WoW but I guess I'm not willing to eternally pay for a game... Right now I'm playing Dragon Age: Awakening on PS3, Grandia II on PS2, and DQXIV on DS. I'm trying to use gaming as a reward for being good. :) If I get all of my workouts in this week, I get some multiplayer Borderlands with the hubby. Once I hit the 5 pound mini-goal, some DLC will be in order.

I'm probably the biggest geek I know, so I'm glad there are more of us on here!
  • Adusenka
    Options
    I treat myself like my mom treated me as a teenager. For every 30 min I spend working out is 1 hour I can play. Every 30 min I spend writing in my books is 1 hour I can play.

I no longer have school to worry about but I am an author.

Work is a work out as I'm waiting tables and it's all hours on my feet.

Wow youre an author :O amazing :) What you desribed sounds like a great idea :) Ill try this one out!
  • Cytherea
    Cytherea Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    So, I've found one other gamer on these boards and I'm wondering if there are any others out there. The same goes for total geeks. I'm looking for freaks like me.

Table RPGs
    Text-based
    PC
    PS
    X-Box *bleh*
    RPG
    FPS
    MMO
    Wii *cringes slightly*

You name your favorite escape hatch. Non-gamers are welcome too! And the just plain geeky and weird!

An extra 200 exp just for signing up!

Yay! What a great topic! I especially love seeing so many ladies here- so rare to find them in-game!

For me, well, I have a few. PC (love the Sims and basic strategy games like Risk II), Xbox (particularly COD MW 1 & 2, Fable (1 & 2), Alan Wake, GTA), PS3 (Assassin's Creed, Heavy Rain (which is probably my favorite game of all time)), and the Wii (basically, the Wii Fit!! LOL). I also play online games- a cat breeding game (which is sort of my guilty pleasure, lol), and other strategy games (Diplomacy, Risk).

I think it is hilarious when I play GTA and have my character set up as a girl. Eeeeeeeeeverybody picks me up! It cracks me up!

My husband is actually much more of a gamer than I am, but he really got me into it. Imagine his surprise when he came home from work one day a few years ago and I was sitting there intensely playing COD MW! I don't think he's ever loved me more than that moment, LOL ;)

For those of you that have multiple consoles (and the Wii Fit)- you know how on the Wii you can set up the basic step and do it while doing something else (like watching tv)? Well, I set that up once and did it while playing multi-player (domination, my fave) COD MW2. It was pretty interesting, to say the least!!
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    heh, big gamer here.

Also big geek.

Lets see, Degree in Info Systems, 15 years of being a geek.

my career goes as follows:

help desk 2 years
    jr sys admin 3 years
    SQL admin (officially about 6 years, but overall about 11 years)
    Owned my own business computer support business for 5 years
    network engineer 4 years
    systems consultant 3 years
    Manager of an enterprise Application network 3 years and counting

As to gaming. Well, pretty much any RPG or RTS MMO going that's any good.
    Really loved City of Heroes and City of Villains (but got bored after about 4 years)
    Played WoW for a while, got pretty good at it.
    Love and still play Eve Online

But my true game love (always was, and still is) is the Starcraft series, I was absolutely addicted to SC I and am now playing SC II, so far so good.
  • HeaterM
    HeaterM Posts: 275
    Options
    I mainly just play Perfect World, my mom got me into it she's a big gamer, I used to play D&D till school started but stopped because all the ppl i played with were out of school and we played at 7 in the morning so sadly thats gone :(
  • andydude27
    andydude27 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Just a thought...

Lol, excellent idea.

Gamer here. Play them all. Console, PC and my tabletop experience involves Magic the Gathering.

Ever since my 3 month experience with WoW, where I started avoiding my friends just so I can stay home and play, I've avoided MMOs like the plague.

That's about it.
  • oddgirlout
    Options
    I definitely am not a gamer mostly because I am ridiculously uncoordinated and someone usually snipes me before I can even aim...nonetheless...I fall into the geek realm. Has anyone tried the Serenity RPG? It is simply awesome.