did you really burn that many calories?

Options

Replies

• RunFarLiveHappy
    RunFarLiveHappy Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    Everyone knows they can change the number of calories burned on MFP right? Lol. I've just read a bunch of comments about thinking the estimate is too high but also not wanting to cheat themselves on the time they spent. That's totally fine, just change the number of calories burned and leave the time accurate...
  • Sizethree4Ever
    Sizethree4Ever Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    According to my treadmill, I burned 905 calories is 97 minutes, I walked 4.85 miles on 10-incline and 3 MPH.
    I think it probably overestimate by 300 calories.
    I am 45 yrs old, 140-lbs and 5`0 Ft.
    I am thinking to buy a Body media or an HRM to figure this out.
  • sa11yjane
    sa11yjane Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    I always drop at least 50% of the calories that they give on here as they are always double what the pedometer on my bike says!
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    According to my treadmill, I burned 905 calories is 97 minutes, I walked 4.85 miles on 10-incline and 3 MPH.

http://www.exrx.net/Calculators/WalkRunMETs.html

Actually, that is pretty close, 800 calories. Of course as your incline goes up much beyond 4%, so does personal efficiency or inefficiency of walking that steep, so the more accurate formulas may be off just as much as a HRM is off.

Of course, 800 is gross burn, what a HRM or machine or MFP table would show too.
    For Net burn, minus what you would have burned resting during that time anyway, only 700 calories to log and eat back.

Notice in the study how accurate the formulas are for 2-4 mph walking, and running 5-6.3 mph, level.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/774337-how-to-test-hrm-for-how-accurate-calorie-burn-is
  • Sizethree4Ever
    Sizethree4Ever Posts: 120 Member
    Options

http://www.exrx.net/Calculators/WalkRunMETs.html

Actually, that is pretty close, 800 calories. Of course as your incline goes up much beyond 4%, so does personal efficiency or inefficiency of walking that steep, so the more accurate formulas may be off just as much as a HRM is off.

Of course, 800 is gross burn, what a HRM or machine or MFP table would show too.
    For Net burn, minus what you would have burned resting during that time anyway, only 700 calories to log and eat back.

Notice in the study how accurate the formulas are for 2-4 mph walking, and running 5-6.3 mph, level.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/774337-how-to-test-hrm-for-how-accurate-calorie-burn-is

Thanks for your help!
  • supermodelchic
    supermodelchic Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    they go in and change it manually..
  • fit4justme
    fit4justme Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I don't worry about what other people are doing.....I worry about myself.
  • DancingDreams1234
    Options
    I don't go by what M.F.P says with the calories that you burn when working out. I'm fairly active, so I set my activity level to the correct option and it's like the calories that you would typically burn are already in the calories M.F.P sets for you to eat daily. So if I do exercise or anything I just set the calorie to one.
  • ren_ascent
    ren_ascent Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I burned eleventy million eating pie

What kind of pie??
  • EddieHaskell97
    EddieHaskell97 Posts: 2,227 Member
    Options
    It seems to be a teensy bit high for walking at 4.0 - 4.5 mph for my heigh / weight.

For mowing the lawn it's ridiculously high.

Still, I like seeing it, and trying to reconcile the different numbers between it and MapMyRun, etc...
  • wjack459
    wjack459 Posts: 17
    Options
    i use allsportgps on my iphone and i found that mypal just add a zero on the end so i just chose the lessor of two evil!!!!!!! sometimes i know i burned more but i just like to chose the lessor so that i "work" harder!!!!!!! try www.healthstatus.com/calculate//cbc it gives calories burnt on all things lol
  • wjack459
    wjack459 Posts: 17
    Options
    plus you got to make sure that you put the correct information ( like height,weight, how active and how many days)
  • JackieLivingHealthy
    JackieLivingHealthy Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I never count "cleaning" as an exercise. That's silly to me;
  • RockinTerri
    RockinTerri Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    I don't have an HRM (as of yet, anyway), but if I think that calories seem high, I check other charts. And I do utilize the calories on my gym equipment (typically I find the calories on MFP to be about 25%-30% higher than my gym equipment).

As for the whole cleaning debate, I had been logging my cleaning (heavy cleaning, not picking up a few items or washing dishes), but then adjusted my calories up, so now only log when I'm cleaning the whole house, and just log a portion of that time. The same thing goes for food preparation - if I'm in the kitchen for several hours, I will log some of that, but if I'm just cutting up a few veggies I don't. I also have my activity level at sedentary (my job is a desk job, but my time off of work I am primarily on my feet doing something).
  • nyrina4life
    nyrina4life Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I don't worry too much if other people want to delude themselves about their exercise. Just sit back and wait for their post saying they're doing everything right but they aren't losing any weight. Most often those who post those huge burns are only looking for a way to justify overeating.

Well, aren't you as sweet as pie. Most of us who earn big numbers also weigh quite a bit more than what the 'average' joe does who is listed to burn only 100 - 120 calories doing exercise x, y or z. You know?

I know my calories burnt can be off by up to 200 calories, but you know what? When I exercise I give it my all. I'm sweating my butt off, I'm sucking down water like no tomorrow, and my heart rate is usually anywhere from 157 - 166. I KNOW I burn a ton and it will change the smaller I get.

So I am not deluding myself of anything, and most others aren't either. They just assume a well known site like this would give some pretty accurate numbers. That's why they should frequent the forums to be educated on the fact that numbers are a bit off.

Also, when I used Anytime fitness and input my numbers the data is pretty close to this, but I know that when I'm done with an hour of elliptical, and thirty - forty of circuit I would burn close to 1,000 based on heart rate calculations (at that time) and even their site was 150 - 200 off.
  • beckyboop712
    beckyboop712 Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    I saw a formula a year or so ago for runners on how many calories you burn when you run, based on a 10 minute mile. Basically it is:
    body weight x .72 = calories burned. So for example, I weigh 215 lbs. If I ran a 10 minute mile, I would burn 154.8 calories per mile and would therefore burn 464.4 for 3 miles. While someone who weighs 135 lbs will only burn 97.2 calories per 10 minute mile. And if you are slower than 10 minutes per mile, you burn more per mile but not for 10 minutes whereas if you run faster than 10 minutes per mile, you don't burn as much per mile but you will burn more per 10 minutes.

I don't take MFP at it's word but since it's always fairly close to what the treadmill says (when I use one), I don't dismiss it completely.

But in terms of cleaning, No. I don't put it in. I did once or twice but felt silly doing so.
  • mom2dms
    mom2dms Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    My calorie burn is always different than what MFP says…simply because I have a VERY low resting heart rate. What determines how many calories you burn is how hard your body has to work to do the exercise. So, as you lose weight, you will have to work harder to get those high calorie burns doing the same exercise.
  • Beautifulbridgittlee7
    Beautifulbridgittlee7 Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I can burn almost 400 calories running 3 miles( 100 to 120 calories), and I'm around 144. Anything that says you burned 1000 for a 3 mile run is ridiculous, unless your very heavy, but even someone who is 200 lbs would not burn that, maybe with running for 75 minutes possibly, heart rate monitors are better. Though I do have friend who weighs around 150 and she burns 630 in a 1 hour zumba fitness class.
  • sokkache
    sokkache Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I usually look up the calories burned for a certain sport online so I don't just use what MFP says because MFP is very inflated (for me because I am not very heavy and I burn less calories anyways) so I just usually don't log in exercise but I do allow myself to overeat my "calorie limit" by 200-300 because I know I burn more than that when I work out.
  • bacamacho
    bacamacho Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I often burn over 1000 calories, but you might only see it for the "4 mile run" when it's actually a 4 mile run after a 2 hour mountain bike ride. I wear a heart rate monitor. I have my default setting for calorie burn goal at about 2000 a week for when I'm not training for a triathlon or a distance race. I log my exercise especially for those 1000+ days so that I eat at least some of the calories burned back that goes over my default amount.