Would you rather have GMO oranges or none at all?

Options

Replies

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I try to avoid the evil sugar in them anyway as it will make me fat.
  • snazzyjazzy21
    snazzyjazzy21 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options

minions_what-1_zps72e1e039.png
  • BeccaBollons
    BeccaBollons Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    Seriously, why does anyone care about oranges or any citrus fruit being "natural", hell they're all grown on grafts of the strongest/ most desirable base tree possible.

Because that happens in nature..

This is what I was thinking. Also, I'm happy to buy seedless grapes which are clearly not Gods original form of grape :)

I'm allergic to oranges, but this dicussion doesn't end with oranges. A lot of plants (and animals) need the care of humans to help them grow. Have you seen the size of wild strawberries? Quarter the size of specially selected and cross bred plants. Same with wild pigs, but most of us love a bit of bacon!
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options

The only safe sugar's in ice cream.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

The only safe sugar's in ice cream.

Looks down at ticker...werd!
  • jamiemommy
    jamiemommy Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Definitely none at all:( We were just recently in the states for a month and at the end of the trip I bought my children some sliced apples. They both took one bite and promptly spit them out and wouldn't touch them! We shoved them in the bottom of the baby bag and flew home. Once we arrived, 24 hours later, the apples are still white! we have put them off to the side to see what happens.....we have been home for just over 2 weeks and they have still not browned!!!! There is something seriously wrong with the fruit in the US if those are any indicators:( YUCK
  • GiGiBeans
    GiGiBeans Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    So long as they are juicy and sweet, I'm in for oranges. I also like ... orange_intense.png

My favorite!:heart:
  • kellehbeans
    kellehbeans Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I just like oranges.
  • Jackie_Paper
    Jackie_Paper Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    The Cake is a Lie.
  • Jackie_Paper
    Jackie_Paper Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I guess I would have no oranges.
  • afreelandgti
    Options
    My sister is a serious hippie, I'm not. Give me my orange GMO and all.
  • LaRaAnHa
    LaRaAnHa Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Definitely none at all:( We were just recently in the states for a month and at the end of the trip I bought my children some sliced apples. They both took one bite and promptly spit them out and wouldn't touch them! We shoved them in the bottom of the baby bag and flew home. Once we arrived, 24 hours later, the apples are still white! we have put them off to the side to see what happens.....we have been home for just over 2 weeks and they have still not browned!!!! There is something seriously wrong with the fruit in the US if those are any indicators:( YUCK

That has nothing to do with the apples themselves. Sliced and bagged apples are rinsed in calcium ascorbate to prevent browning. This is a food additive that is also used in other countries.

Edit: Also, I am perfectly fine with eating genetically modified fruits and vegetables even though I choose to grow heritage/heirloom varieties. My primary concern with genetically engineered fruits and vegetables is seed contamination.
  • athenasurrenders
    athenasurrenders Posts: 278 Member
    Options

That has nothing to do with the apples themselves. Sliced and bagged apples are rinsed in calcium ascorbate to prevent browning. This is a food additive that is also used in other countries.

This.... and I'm fairly sure it's also illegal to carry fresh fruit into the country in your luggage.

Edit: It occurs to me I don't know where she lives, so ignore that comment.
  • RosyBest
    RosyBest Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    None at all if those are the options. Not enough research done on modified foods for me. I think I'll become a happy, skinny, vegan women before I travel down that food path.
  • Mother_Superior
    Mother_Superior Posts: 1,624 Member
    Options
    Hey, I'm with you guys. I absolutely don't want to live in a world where science tries to make our food tastier, more nutritious, and more plentiful. I mean, we've already got plenty to go around right? Keep the science in the lab, and out of my body, thanks.
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    I think all fruit has been modified to taste sweeter....fruit is not supposed to taste super sweet.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

Edit: Also, I am perfectly fine with eating genetically modified fruits and vegetables even though I choose to grow heritage/heirloom varieties. My primary concern with genetically engineered fruits and vegetables is seed contamination.

I think that there are some real issues to be discussed regarding GMOs, I just think most people are focused on the wrong thing. And the fear mongering surround them makes me want to err on the side of the GMOs, because fear mongering rubs me the wrong way.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Serious question--what makes something a GMO? How is it different from selective breeding of agricultural plants over generations? I buy plants and seeds for my garden that have been vastly improved for flavor, size and disease resistance from what people grew a couple of hundreds of years ago. I thought that making nutritious plants more readily available was a good thing.

It is basically the same except that it's done in a laboratory instead of in the soil.
  • hoffmanhomemaker
    hoffmanhomemaker Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I only eat gmos if I am in a restaurant.
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    I think they should make oranges with the vodka already in it.

I would plant one of those trees in my yard.

"One of those trees?!" I'd plant a whole fricking orchard!