Help with chip addiction

Options
13»

Replies

• adiostrasero
    adiostrasero Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I was also going to suggest kale chips ... yummmm. But there are many, many veggies you can turn into chips if you slice them thin enough and bake them at the right temp ... Still not something you want to OD on, but healthier than ODing on a bag of Doritos!

I have had *some* success with portion controlling - putting the entire bag in serving sizes, stored in ziploc bags, and writing the number of calories on the bag ... but of course, there's nothing to stop you from eating several ziploc bags at once! :D

I feel your pain, btw. I cannot handle myself around chips or crackers. And if there is a tub of hummus or guacamole in the vicinity ... watch out.
  • cmcoll2
    cmcoll2 Posts: 5
    Options
    I have an addiction to crunchy salty snacks too, I have replaced chips with sunflower seeds, there are a variety of different flavors and the work it takes to open the shell has to burn a calorie or two. I have found that this satisfies my craving and when I get bored of one flavor, I get a different one. Good luck!!
  • TigerBite
    TigerBite Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Pistachios ... salty and crunchy ... fat and protein will satiate you more than empty calorie carbohydrate heavy chips ... plus, you have to open them as opposed to just popping them straight from the bag, which will make you think about how much you are eating ...

ETA: Those baked sugar snap pea things are also good ... they are usually found in the produce section or the salad dressing aisle ... usually near the crutons ..
  • LB2812
    LB2812 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I love those rice chips, like the quaker quakes chips! I have a salty snack addiction too & these seem to do the trick for me. I have 1 or 2 servings a night & I'm satisfied. And calorie wise, even 2 servings is less than a small vending machine size bag of potato chips! It keeps me from snacking down during the day knowing I can have these later on.

Also, portion control - if I count out a serving of something and put it in a bowl I'm far more likely to just eat that & stop than if I just have a bag in front of me.

Sometimes I'll have some chips as a snack during the day (like tortilla chips or those veggie chips) but I usually do half a serving & have it with veggies & hummus. So it's like a balance - I can have the salty snack, but I have to have some veggies too.
  • LB2812
    LB2812 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I have an addiction to crunchy salty snacks too, I have replaced chips with sunflower seeds, there are a variety of different flavors and the work it takes to open the shell has to burn a calorie or two. I have found that this satisfies my craving and when I get bored of one flavor, I get a different one. Good luck!!

My husband swears by this too! Great idea.
  • jezy_jass
    jezy_jass Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I probably shouldn't be giving any advice because my biggest cave-in/binge food is chips, but I have been getting a little better. Sometimes I'll do carrots & celery sometimes with, sometimes without chip dip (you get the dip flavor & still have the crunch). Also I have found Skinny Pop. It's a brand of popcorn. A 1 cup portion is only 35 calories.
  • shannashannabobana
    shannashannabobana Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Just don't buy a whole bag. Buy a little one every so often and only eat that.

As for salty/crunchy things, I got nothing. Nothing tastes the same to me as a chip. I don't know which chips you eat, but maybe try the kettle chips or something like that as I find those more satisfying.
  • getting_fit86
    getting_fit86 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Try zuchinni chips.

How do you make these? I have a hard time picturing zuchinni getting crispy....

Try my recipe; they are excellent:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1060198-chip-cravings-try-savory-zucchini-chips
  • rosemaryhon
    rosemaryhon Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    My absolute favorite crunchy/salty snack are Special K popcorn chips in the sea salt flavor. 30 chips for only 130 calories. I eat them almost every day! Also good are their cracker chips in the honey barbeque flavor :)

An interesting tidbit I noticed just the other day when my husband was eating Frito's corn chips, they're not much higher calorie than the Special K ones. Seems portion control is the key.

Nutrition Facts

Serving Size 32 chips (27 g)

Per Serving % Daily Value*

Calories 160

Read more: Calories in Fritos - Original Corn Chips | Nutrition and Health Facts http://caloriecount.about.com/calories-fritos-original-corn-chips-i128795#ixzz2aXYM2iLy
  • JodieP13
    JodieP13 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    POP CHIPS! I too have the addiction and these things are delicious! I like the potato ones as the sour cream and onion ones taste a little odd.
  • Kelly_Runs_NC
    Kelly_Runs_NC Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    This