What do you weigh on your food scale?

Options

Replies

• pyrowill
    pyrowill Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    Lemme clarify, sorry I shouldn't have said everything. I think its important that you weigh things that people find hard to gauge weight/portion by looking at it, like pasta, nuts, rice etc also. Especially high calorific items.
  • crose0056
    crose0056 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone. Everything.
  • arcticfox04
    arcticfox04 Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    I'll only use it if I'm going to split up a meal into multiple servings during the week.
  • chezjuan
    chezjuan Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    I use my food scale a lot, but don't weigh absolutely everything. I generally weigh calorie-dense foods like nuts, cheeses, pasta, breakfast cereal. I also weigh meats (both uncooked and cooked). I generally don't weigh fruits and vegetables unless I am using them in a recipe.

Oh, and hops and malt for my beer brewing...
  • corgicake
    corgicake Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    twitch_scale.JPG

I wish. I don't have a scale (and likely would be too lazy to use one).
  • angieroo2
    angieroo2 Posts: 973 Member
    Options
    Not enough. Cheese, and meat are my most frequent. I need to get back to weighing everything that I don't use a measuring cup for.
  • hballack
    hballack Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! I guess I'll try to start weighing everything!
  • LornaRodda
    LornaRodda Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Everything, need to, to be accurate.
  • msjames1999
    msjames1999 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Everything.

I agree!!
  • sprintto50
    sprintto50 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I weigh pretty much everything. One interesting thing I discovered is that 15g (1T peanut butter per the label) is way more peanut butter than I thought. I also often find that my portions of meat by eye would be not enough, but pasta etc, too much.
  • JUDDDing
    JUDDDing Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    Mostly potato chips.

And when I make a salad I just put the bowl on there and re-tare it after each ingredient - this makes logging salads easier.
  • lingading
    lingading Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    pasta, all meats, fruits, veggies, jerky, cheese..
  • suzycav77
    suzycav77 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Everything.

damn!! you beat me lol
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options
    My salami.
  • michellechawner
    Options
    Everything.

I weigh out all my snacks at home and put them in baggies for work, that way I can be more accurate than a "handful". I check serving sizes and label the baggies too. I'm a little quirky like that.

Happy weighing!
  • jfrankic
    jfrankic Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    Everything except slices of store bough slices of bread or buns.

I even use the scale when preparing one pot dinners like spaghetti, weigh the whole amount and divide by servings. Then weight out my portions. I used to be a hassle, but now it's just habit. I put my container, bowl, plate, etc on the scale, zero it out and start adding food.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options
    Mostly meats, chicken, cheese, avocados, butter, peanut butter, fruit, mostly high density foods and snacks. Raw/salad veggies - tomatoes, greens, lettuce, cucumber, etc - not so much.

I do use measuring cups for cooked veggies, potatoes, grains. But I'm not fanatical about it. Considering I was eating about 2700cals/day pre-MFP with no exercise and now aim for 1880cals/day with exercise, an +/- variation of 100-200 cals per day isn't going to deter my weight loss efforts in the least.
  • Fr3shStrt
    Fr3shStrt Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I recently discovered that using a food scale for canned items with a liquid base (like beans) is a bad idea. After draining the liquid, the serving size in grams is no longer accurate. What I thought was 1 serving was really almost half of the can. So, I need to rethink that one, but I weight everything else.
  • elisabeisme
    elisabeisme Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I weigh pretty much everything. One interesting thing I discovered is that 15g (1T peanut butter per the label) is way more peanut butter than I thought. I also often find that my portions of meat by eye would be not enough, but pasta etc, too much.
    ^this!

when I got my food scale, I discovered I was getting about 15% less protein and 15% more carbs than I thought.

Small amounts like tablespoons are easier to do on the scale. To make a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, I stick the entire plate with bread on the scale and then zero it out. I scoop the peanut butter onto the bread to get the right grams and then again with the jelly. Much easier than dirtying and washing tablespoons. Same with mayo and other condiments.

Also, MUST weigh cookies and breakfast cereal. The quantities on the package are never right. Cereal that says 1 cup for the serving is almost always just 3/4 cup because it's broken down in the package. Cookie serving will say something like "about 5" but when you count the number of cookies in the package, you can see they are rounding up and you can really only have 4.5 for that number of calories.
  • _Resolve_
    _Resolve_ Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    everything.