HAS THE TDEE REALLY WORKED FOR YOU?

So this morning I decided to try something new considering I have not seen a budge yet in weight loss for about 2 1/2 weeks. I went ahead and took some advice others have given me from a past post and calculated my tdee. Could this really work considering my tdee came out to a whopping 2441?? When you minus the 20 % = 1,952 calories does that seem right? That seems kind of high. MFP suggests I stay on a 1,200 calorie daily. I do not usually do 1,200 because I am still nursing I try to stay at about 1,500 daily. NICE FRIENDLY ADVICE PLEASE thanks..........

Replies

• SirBonerFart
    SirBonerFart Posts: 1,185 Member
    You didn't provide enough information for anyone to know if that number is accurate
  • You didn't provide enough information for anyone to know if that number is accurate

5' 7 ; 174 lbs
    Exercise: 3-5 times per week
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Yes, MFP gives you 1200 calories BUT your suppose to eat back your exercise calories!!

We need more info. Age, weight, height and what kind of exercises do you do?
  • MzManiak
    MzManiak Posts: 1,361 Member
    At 1500, what do you gross after exercising? It should come close to your TDEE - 20%, right? But I agree with Boner. Without stats, we're just guessing that you did it correctly and therefore, should work.

And, yes, TDEE- % method works, or people wouldn't recommend it so much. :tongue: I eat at my TDEE now and have been maintaining.

ETA: Include age and body fat % in your stats as well
    It does sound about right. Just remember that with the TDEE-%, that's your gross amount. You don't add any extra for exercise because it's already included.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    You didn't provide enough information for anyone to know if that number is accurate

5' 7 ; 174 lbs

Yep, sounds right to me.

I'm 5'2 and I eat between 1700-2000 calories!!
  • Iron_Lotus
    Iron_Lotus Posts: 2,295 Member
    TDEE works hun give it time
  • wilkinsonlk
    wilkinsonlk Posts: 9 Member
    What is the TDEE?
  • Joannesmith2818
    Joannesmith2818 Posts: 438 Member
    I am working my way up to TFEE-20%. I was at 1200 and have been increasing it slowly after reading a lot of advice.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    2441 definitely seems high for your TDEE. I'm 185, with 150 pounds of lean body mass, and my TDEE is 2600.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    What is the TDEE?

Total Daily Energy Expenditure
  • Isakizza
    Isakizza Posts: 754 Member
    Yes, MFP gives you 1200 calories BUT your suppose to eat back your exercise calories!!

^^ Yup.
    Follow the MFP program the way it's designed or you can used TDEE-20%.
    I've done both and lost using both.

21525558.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • Donald_Dozier_50
    Donald_Dozier_50 Posts: 395 Member
    FOR ME, I have chosen to make the simple (because it is)......

I must burn 3,500 calories more than I consume to lose each pound and the greater the distance between consuming and burning calories, the more I lose.

That I have done 68 times which resulted in my losing 68 lbs. I have heard of the TDEE (ways to justify eating more and still be on a diet), the "eat more to lose more? and many more which you have heard of as well.

I must burn 3,500 calories more than I consume to lose each pound and the greater the distance between consuming and burning calories, the more I lose..
  • JayWalk39
    JayWalk39 Posts: 68 Member
    TDEE works, but only if your macros are also correct!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member

5' 7 ; 174 lbs

Yep, that sounds right to me. I'm 5'4 and 198 and exercise minimally, have a desk job, and I'm on 2000 calories to lose.
  • Donald_Dozier_50
    Donald_Dozier_50 Posts: 395 Member

I know people say that but tell me, am I really supposed to eat back the 1,540 exercise calories I have burned from today so far when I am on a 1,375 calorie goal?
  • TyTy76
    TyTy76 Posts: 1,761 Member
    FOR ME, I have chosen to make the simple (because it is)......

I must burn 3,500 calories more than I consume to lose each pound and the greater the distance between consuming and burning calories, the more I lose.

That I have done 68 times which resulted in my losing 68 lbs. I have heard of the TDEE (ways to justify eating more and still be on a diet), the "eat more to lose more? and many more which you have heard of as well.

I must burn 3,500 calories more than I consume to lose each pound and the greater the distance between consuming and burning calories, the more I lose..

I'm confused.
    Are you on the "eat very little, exercise a lot" program?
  • TyTy76
    TyTy76 Posts: 1,761 Member

I know people say that but tell me, am I really supposed to eat back the 1,540 exercise calories I have burned from today so far when I am on a 1,375 calorie goal?

With your logic you're -165 calories for the day.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    When people question whether or not using the TDEE method works, I really question their understanding of what TDEE even stands for and why it MUST work.
  • Val_from_OH
    Val_from_OH Posts: 447 Member
    Yep. I was on 1300 calories a day, and eating back exercise calories. I wasn't really losing anything - maybe a lb here or there, but I'd be just as likely to gain it back a week later. I started TDEE-15% about 5 weeks ago, and look how my chart has changed!

fyhpit.jpg
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    TDEE -20% works because it takes the decision-making away from people who would otherwise choose 2 lbs/week (aka TDEE-1000).