Crossing over from ww......nervous!

Options
Csmcnevin
Csmcnevin Posts: 29 Member
Hello all!

How we all doing?!

I''ve lost 50lbs mostly with ww and exercising, but have plateaued the last year so am changing things up. I am starting Insanity tomorrow (for the second time) and read that MFP is a great tool to help track food. But i'm nervous for some reason that cancelling my ww subscription even though i'm exciting - what are people's experience here on mfp? Any opinions on changing over from ww?

Thanks so much! :smile:

Replies

• MicheleWE
    MicheleWE Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I had great success loosing with WW, lost 85 lbs, but I never learned maintenance. My local meeting closed down before I got to that part. I regained 40 lbs and now I've been losing it with the help of MFP. When I tracked with WW there were many things that got swept under that 0 or 1 point category. Now that I am tracking calories, fat, protein, carbs, sugar, sodium I am much more aware and tend to make better food choices. I am not losing as fast this time around, but I am eating a lot more than I had been on WW-which messed up my metabolism. Now I make the effort to eat better quality food vs just eating what fits in the points. I like this better.
  • Epyhon
    Epyhon Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I'm new myself, but I've enjoyed the week I've been here. MFP has a number of people on here and a lot of them are very supportive and no matter what your goals are I find that to be the most helpful thing. Good luck and if you need anything, just let us know. :smile:
  • sk_pirate
    sk_pirate Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I'm not new but I did migrate over from WW to MFP, originally for the food database. I love MFP way more than WW. It was a change to switch from points to calories, but in the real world calories are where it's at. I find MFP lets you customize way more than WW ever did. MFP also taught me about macros, which WW never did.

Feel free to add me :drinker:
  • alliemum3
    alliemum3 Posts: 6
    Options
    i was doing WW online and changed to MFP. the site is great and i enjoy it so much more than WW, particularly the barcode scanner on the phone app, its fantastic!
    i would never go back to WW and pay $40NZ per month when you can have so much more free with MFP.

Good luck, i'm sure you will love this site
  • loserlee123
    loserlee123 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I found counting calories much easier than figuring out points and the data base is great you will really like it.
  • wamydia
    wamydia Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I changed over from WW when I plateaued a while back. It was still Points Plus at that time (I think they changed it up again this year?). Anyway, I was a little worried at first too, but I've found personally that MFP is a great place to pick up a new way of tracking food and exercise. I think after a while WW went wrong for me because of the way that points system is set up to weight certain types of food differently, not count fruit, etc. MFP counts everything and I feel like I have a more direct connection with what I am eating and how big of a deficit I am running because it counts calories instead of points. I've found that if I stick close to what I have set up on MFP, I am able to lose weight more easily that I have in a very long time, including the several months before I plateaued on WW. Just be honest with your tracking and you'll be fine!
  • Csmcnevin
    Options
    Awh thanks guys! Everyone seems so nice already :) *takes off coat and puts up feet

I have a great meeting/leader here in the US, but am returning to europe and i dunno - the more i have learnt about health and fitness, the more i'm drawn to clean eating, and learning about macro nutrients. I'm looking at is as an opportunity to educate myself more about nutrition / calories (in the past i was definitely one to abuse the 'free fruit' on ww).... and lose that last 15lbs!
  • Skieblueshllgdwn
    Skieblueshllgdwn Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I love MFP, used to do WW before, like MFP better, I know how many calories I'm actually eating, on a lot of different foods, this way, I can track for life, and it's free. WW, tired of tracking pts, I never knew how many calories = pts, I can't live my life like that. So set your calorie goal, and add your exercises. Just remember, do not eat back the calories that you burned during exercise, stick to your daily calorie goal. :flowerforyou:
  • vaporhockey83
    vaporhockey83 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I've been using this for less than a month and it's already done wonders for me. Started at 209 (for a 5'7" guy) and I'm already down to 198. When I first started, I wasn't exercising as much as I should (that's changed), but dieting alone helped shed pounds and see where I was wasting calories. I'll take a free weight loss app/site anyday. Welcome, by the way, and best of luck with your weight loss endeavors!! :drinker:
  • Wendall8
    Wendall8 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I lost 60+ with WW 7 years ago. I started MFP about 4 months ago and find it fun and something different, and, lost 5 more stubborn pounds. I know that it is important to journal ( that was #1 for me in my weight loss journey). Since I am a lifetime member at WW, I only go once a month, to weigh in. I don't like gaining weight, especially with someone watching me on the scale. It makes me accountable. If you are going to make the switch, I would continue to weigh in with someone. Good luck with whatever you decide!
  • aaronagostini
    aaronagostini Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I switched over from weight watchers. Since I wasn't attending meetings, it just made sense to go with a free option. Plus, I think MFP is a great online community. Come for the logging, and stay for the great support group from around the world!
  • andersonh2007
    andersonh2007 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Welcome!
    I am a Lifetime WW member who is not currently at goal after having a baby three years ago. Going to the meetings were not fitting my new busy, stressful working mom life and the web tools were expensive, so I am thrilled to have found MFP to help me get back to pre baby weight. All of the features on this website and the support from the MFP community is great...at no cost to us! I am getting addicted to tracking and supporting others and I think you will too. Having done WW, my prediction is you will get into a good routine for you really quickly. Good luck! Let us know if you need anything.:)
  • melb_alex
    melb_alex Posts: 1,154 Member
    Options
    MFP is the best tool in my opinion and 'If it fit's your macro' will soon become a normal way of thinking for you.

Good luck

Alex
  • SwitzEngine
    SwitzEngine Posts: 3,418 Member
    Options
    I agree, MFP is perfect for tracking the daily intake and you can see if you are on track to reach your goals. The friends in MFP are all willing to help you and give you advice.
  • Csmcnevin
    Options
    Where is the 'like' button on this website?! I wanna like all your posts - thanks so much for responded!
  • wylnora
    wylnora Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I was with WW too, for over a year. I lost close to 30 pounds, but then I plateud for a few months. I found this website by accident, and I am so happy that I did. I canceled my account with WW about a month or so ago, and while I was nervous at first, I like MFP much better. Plus, it's free! I wish I found this website before WW.

Good luck with everything!
  • doodlebug200
    doodlebug200 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am a lifetime member of WW as well. I've maintained for almost 6 years. Since then, I have become a long distance runner but still had a WW mentality. Still tracked points, all that. That way of thinking and eating does not really work for fueling 20 mile long runs! I have started using MFP to track calories and have a better idea how much more to eat, especially when my mileage is high. I was nervous at first too, but its working well. I'm feeling better, eating more appropriate amounts of food and slowly getting to a leaner racing weight. Be honest with your tracking and what your goals are and it will work out just fine.
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    I love MFP, used to do WW before, like MFP better, I know how many calories I'm actually eating, on a lot of different foods, this way, I can track for life, and it's free. WW, tired of tracking pts, I never knew how many calories = pts, I can't live my life like that. So set your calorie goal, and add your exercises. Just remember, do not eat back the calories that you burned during exercise, stick to your daily calorie goal. :flowerforyou:
    I must add that MFP is set up to eat back your exercise calories if you use the daily calorie goal they give you. That calorie goal is already at a deficit so do you need to eat back most of your exercise calories or you'll be too hungry and might overeat or binge or just feel plain tired and hangry.
    I've been eating back my exercise calories and losing steadily.
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    I started WW in January and came on here in May to start tracking my macros. The one thing that really surprised me was how much my calorie intake varied on 27 points. I had a few days where I would hit my point goal but I was barely over 1,000 calories. I also had days where I was at 1,600 with the same amount of points. I'm not sure if it was a database error or what but it really made me question WW. I eventually stopped tracking points and focused on calories after seeing how much easier this site was compared to WW and cancelled my membership about a month ago. It was a little bit of an adjustment but easy to get used to. The free part is pretty awesome too because now that money that I was paying WW is going towards a fitness class.
  • 04sprj0
    04sprj0 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I've converted from SW to MFP as I stayed the same. I've lost 52 pounds in total using both tools. I love MFP because it's shown me that even though I was on a diet before, I was still overeating on healthy foods. I feel much better and have even got really into exercise because that can be logged too. Good luck!