Excercising after Spinal fusion/back pain

Options
2»

Replies

• pami218
    Options
    Hi I broke my back when I was 13 and have continuning problems with it .. I am 36 and trying to lose about 30 lbs to get to where I need to be have joined a gym and been taking various classes the only thing that has giving me back issues so far is crunchs on the floor after a few sets and doing the planks in Tobota . After agout 45 mins of Zumba sometimes my back will start to tighten but other than that so far so good .
  • KathieSwenson
    Options
    Any one on here want to add me as a friend feel free it helps to see people with the same injuries and working through injury related problems together.
  • jenrod1118
    jenrod1118 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Hi heidi. My mom has, arthritis in her spine and 2 slipped or bulging disks. She's been taking a supplement called relief that has been helping her. She even started on some weight machines this month and it has really helped her. Please let me know if you would like more info and good luck with your journey :)
  • Shellitz
    Shellitz Posts: 188
    Options
    My good friend broke her back in a car accident a few years ago - and she does 90% of her workouts in the pool now. Aqua aerobics, swimming and running in water. She can use the seated bikes (the ones where your legs are in front of you rather than under you) without too much drama.

Good luck!
  • nmlk_mom
    nmlk_mom Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Well, not sure if it is the same, but I have a fusion from my c-2 to c-5 vertebrae. This obviously causes a lot of problems, but I am alive and walking, so praise Jesus!
    I too have found that I can do much more in the pool. I also find that alternating between hot and cold for relief helps. Oddly enough soaking with epsom salts seems to really help as well.
    As for exercise, I have found that using the machines is less effective then free weights. I have a personal trainer who researches exercises and plans them out for me.
    Hope this helps.
  • turnagain
    Options
    Hi my name is Kath and I am just new on here. I have a lot of lower back problems but always continue to exercise within my capabilities. I go to physio when needed and he continually tells me to keep walking, cycling and stretching. I have just started doing a weekly yoga class which I find is helping. I guess I am stubborn when it comes to exercise as itvis like a drug to me. However I know what I can and can't do and have recently been shown some really good stretches which help a lot. Yes back pain is constant and annoying but you can help decrease this. Good luck.
  • mgpage
    mgpage Posts: 123
    Options
    Thank you for the replies! Having back issues is horrible, but it is also doable! (sp). I would love to try all those crazy weight losing stuff. I was looking at the 30 day shred. Anyone use this? I was also fused at l5 s1. I cant believe the weight I have gained! I want to at least lose 30 pounds!!!! I have a major issue of snacking at night. I need to get more fruit, and veggies! I have a major craving for sweets too!!!!! Please add me if you would like :)

I have three vertebra fused in my lower back and I have been doing the 30 Day Shred. I follow the modified movements to prevent to much strain. I am 13 days in and haven't had any problems. There is only one exercise I have real difficulty with due to the fusion and it is the plank twist. I just do them the best that I can and keep moving. I know you are not looking for advice but I have to give it, do what feels comfortable and if it hurts stop. I have to take longer than 5 second breathers, but everyday I do the workout I feel I am getting stronger. I hope this helps and feel free to friend me if you want. Good Luck!!
  • joj922
    joj922 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    You should not be using a treadmill after lower lumbar fusion ever. If you walk slowly backwards on it, that is the only way that it can be used safely. I have had 2 spinal surgeries and my dr. is from the mayo clinic. elliptical and core strengthening exercises are the best, as is swimming.
  • DallastheGemini
    DallastheGemini Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I've had 3 spinal fusions myself. The first one was terribly botched. I went from being a sports fanatic to an almost completely sedendary person who can barely walk. I suffer from chronic excruciating pain no matter what I'mdoing, even if I'm just laying in bed. I find it really hard to exersize with all the restrictions my doctors have given me and my phyiscal limitations make it almost impossible to do anything active. I'd love to make some friends who have spinal fusions or who have back issues or who are in a similar situation. Please feel free to add me. I really need some friends. ^_^
  • ivyhotchkiss
    ivyhotchkiss Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    i had T2-L2 spinal fusion and i am 4.5 months post-op and i have started running a little bit, but not much. i am biking though :) biking is always good. weight lifting is bad! it will hurt your back if it is more than 10lbs, thats what my surgeon said. best of luck to you x
  • mikaljack
    Options
    Hello Everyone,
    I just had a spinal fusion L5-S1 and was wondering if any of you can share what type of exercise you are doing? Please reply and feel free to add me. Thank You Kindly for your time;)
  • mikaljack
    Options
    Hi,
    I hope you are doing well. Would you please let me know how you are doing and type of exercise you are currently doing?
    Thank you kindly,
  • WandaBgood
    WandaBgood Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hi, I've been a member for two years now. I belong to the Taoist Tai Chi Society (volunteer instructors). It isn't a quick fix but over time it will help. Some of our members had fused disks in their backs that have unfused, over time, and decreased their pain. Check it out www.taoist.org
    Best wishes with your program (food and/or exercise),
    Wanda
  • hearthwood
    hearthwood Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    I have a friend that had the same surgery, and she still wears a back brace. She attends our Jazzercise class and does low impact cardio, and light weights, but what she loves most is the exercise ball because it helps her to strengthen her back muscles, and is great for core strength also.
  • passifloraFoetida
    Options
    No spinal fusion yet, but I have AS so it's a very real possibility if I'm not careful. What I do have, however, is excruciating back and hip pain that can really limit the types of exercise I do. I'll be starting yoga here pretty soon and I can manage to play disc golf so long as I'm not bending over a lot. I can do some mild hiking/walking but I have to do it in small increments or my SI pain get's pretty bad. My capabilities may be pretty different since my limitations are attributed to disease and not surgical fusion though. There are definitely some days where I seem to be able to get away with a lot more than others.