Tigermum9
Tigermum9 Posts: 546 Member
me what it is and how it differs from Atkins

Please? I have been told its a healthier option. Also, could I have gravy lol

Replies

• aquarabbit
    aquarabbit Posts: 1,622 Member
    Options
    Bump because I want to know too. I saw on a show someone who lost weight on that diet said that if she couldn't kill it or pick, she didn't eat it. I'm sure there's more to it than that though! I'd love an in-depth explanation too.
  • charitybroderbond
    charitybroderbond Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    You can look it up on a search but it's basically fruits, vegtables, meats(grass feed), nuts and seeds. no dairy, legumes, and grains. It's very involved. i know people who have tried it. Hope that helps.
  • aquarabbit
    aquarabbit Posts: 1,622 Member
    Options
    No gravy.

:sad:
  • NeverGivesUp
    NeverGivesUp Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    stick to foods that work for you and take out foods that don't. I have done this by experimenting along the way and paying attention to the way I feel both good and bad after eating. Paleo is such a stupid name. Use your own brain and take control of your own food choices. Otherwise it will always be something that you are on or doing instead of making your own choices based on the way certain foods make you feel.
  • tinytemple
    tinytemple Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Paleo and Atkins are different because you could do an Atkins style diet eating a lot of processed food and diary. Atkins is really about minimizing carbohydrates in the diet, increasing fat and protein. Paleo is about going back to eating natural foods or foods that were available before the agricultural revolution (with the introduction of processing).

I've been paleo for a year and I love it - just basically back to basics natural food that doesn't have to be processed in order to be eaten (i.e. no grains, legumes, junk food, margarine/vegetable oils, sugar).
    Dairy is debatable - standard cow's milk is a pretty firm no although some people drink their local farm's raw milk/cream or have some goat/sheep milk/yoghurt/cheese which is much better for the human body than cow's milk. I would say it's more important to get rid of the real junk and grains from your diet first.
    Again fruit is also debatable - depends on your goals. If you want to loose weight the cut the fruit due to high sugar content or just have some berries/small local seasonal fruits.

I've also recently done an Atkins style diet (a ketogenic diet) with eating Paleo food and this is a very effective weighloss tool for many people.

So really basically Atkins is about changing the macros of your diet and Paleo is about changing the quality of your diet.

Hope that helps!!
  • tinytemple
    Options
    No gravy.

That is rubbish!! You just make your own like everyone used to before the invention of Bisto!!!
    The other night I roasted a piece of beef, when it was done I took the beef out of the roasting pan and poured some boiling water into the pan. I put the pan back on the hob, added some salt, pepper, herbs (you can also add coconut flour for a heavier consistency but it's really unnecessary) and used a wooden spoon to get any leftover beef and drippings of the bottom of the pan and stirred it for a few minutes --- voila! The most tasty, natural gravy in the world!
  • MsCLR84
    MsCLR84 Posts: 10
    Options
    There's a book you can get, but in a nutshell what Paleo's should and shouldn't eat:
    http://thepaleodiet.com/what-to-eat-on-the-paleo-diet/

And some recipes to try - delicious!!:
    http://thepaleodiet.com/paleo-diet-recipes/

xo
  • 13ftw67
    13ftw67 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Tiny Temple nailed the explanation!! You can cook meat on a Paleo diet as well. it's not a raw meat diet as someone suggested.

Manufactured food is full of unnatural things and that's not healthy for the human body. Beware of genetically engineered food options as well with added pesticides and hormones. This can get expensive shopping for more natural foods as well. I recently even stopped at a roadside fruit and vegetable stand only to learn that the items were not locally grown produce but trucked in from the big corporate farms instead.

UGGH the search continues. I choose not to eat any dairy products, refined sugars but I eat peanut butter (processed) an occasional slice of bread and NYC Pizza as a treat to myself. I just try to limit it to 15% of my total food intake. Then its back to the meat, Fish, Fowl and veggies nuts and fruits etc.

Sorry Gravy is forebode in my eating realm. as is pre manufactured salad dressing, cake icing and Ice cream, doughnuts etc...but damn I miss gravy fries sometimes... and hence the lunacy of figuring how to eat healthy.. best wishes
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    Rather than asking on the main forums of MFP or some other general health/fitness website, you should really read one of the MANY books on Paleo, as you're going to get all sorts of responses here that vary from totally incorrect, to exactly right.

Another confounding issue is that there isn't one singular version of Paleo. You'll find that people will do Paleo differently for all sorts of reasons, some health related, some lifestyle related, etc.

Books I like:

The Paleo Solution (Robb Wolf)
    The Paleo Diet Revised (Loren Cordain)
    Practical Paleo (Diane Sanfilippo)
    The Primal Blueprint (Mark Sisson)

You might also consider researching by googling for the websites of these authors/books.
  • petermcgunnigle
    Options
    Just completed the OWLS weight loss and lifestyle programme in Oxfordshire England - diets do not work long term and there are no quick fixes. Lifestyle change is the only long term realistic solution. I weighed 280lbs and am 5ft 8 - morbidly obese BMI over 43 - I started cycling and between September and February do diet but lost 14lbs. In February I changed my lifestyle and lost 42lbs further that 56lbs 20% body weight but am still obese with BMI of 34 so a way to go yet but you have to count calories in and estimate calories out - I have reduced portions, cut out the 'bad' foods sweets desserts pastries fried foods and definitely no fast food. I have virtually no bread these days as I am addicted to it. I have more fresh fruit vegetables and good salad leaves with healthier non oil based dressings. It was hard at first but gradually things become habit and you get used to it. I feel guilty now if I haven't done some exercise in a day. Better than getting used to injecting insulin every day with diabetes or having major heart surgery or a stroke? My kids didn't think I would do it, my wife didn't think I could do it I didn't think I could do it - we are all surprised but immeasurably happier - OWLS taught me diets always make you feel bitter and in deficit mode as you resent having to reduce what you like - real lifestyle changes can lead to mind set change and acceptance that this is the way to live - my advice - avoid fad and fashion diets - some work great in short term but they paper over the cracks. Took me until 54 years old to realise I had been making too many bad choices in lifestyle - hopefully never again ;-)
  • petermcgunnigle
    Options
    That photo is me at 280 lbs in a shopping Mall in New Jersey August 2012 in the 'old life'
  • tjthegreatone
    Options
    Just completed the OWLS weight loss and lifestyle programme in Oxfordshire England - diets do not work long term and there are no quick fixes. Lifestyle change is the only long term realistic solution. I weighed 280lbs and am 5ft 8 - morbidly obese BMI over 43 - I started cycling and between September and February do diet but lost 14lbs. In February I changed my lifestyle and lost 42lbs further that 56lbs 20% body weight but am still obese with BMI of 34 so a way to go yet but you have to count calories in and estimate calories out - I have reduced portions, cut out the 'bad' foods sweets desserts pastries fried foods and definitely no fast food. I have virtually no bread these days as I am addicted to it. I have more fresh fruit vegetables and good salad leaves with healthier non oil based dressings. It was hard at first but gradually things become habit and you get used to it. I feel guilty now if I haven't done some exercise in a day. Better than getting used to injecting insulin every day with diabetes or having major heart surgery or a stroke? My kids didn't think I would do it, my wife didn't think I could do it I didn't think I could do it - we are all surprised but immeasurably happier - OWLS taught me diets always make you feel bitter and in deficit mode as you resent having to reduce what you like - real lifestyle changes can lead to mind set change and acceptance that this is the way to live - my advice - avoid fad and fashion diets - some work great in short term but they paper over the cracks. Took me until 54 years old to realise I had been making too many bad choices in lifestyle - hopefully never again ;-)
    :flowerforyou: Congratulations!
  • lcyfrn
    lcyfrn Posts: 121 Member
    Options

I find this explains it quite well, 'The Caveman Diet' is maybe a better name. You're basically eating what man USED to eat before processed food etc came about.

Read the blog post above, it explains it in an easy way to understand.
  • mspoopoo
    mspoopoo Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I just call it plain old food. It is really hard to eat a lot of calories on it as I am always very full.
  • tinytemple
    Options
    No gravy.

That is rubbish!! You just make your own like everyone used to before the invention of Bisto!!!
    The other night I roasted a piece of beef, when it was done I took the beef out of the roasting pan and poured some boiling water into the pan. I put the pan back on the hob, added some salt, pepper, herbs (you can also add coconut flour for a heavier consistency but it's really unnecessary) and used a wooden spoon to get any leftover beef and drippings of the bottom of the pan and stirred it for a few minutes --- voila! The most tasty, natural gravy in the world!

Thanks for the scolding. Chill out and relax. Your gravy sounds horrible. Btw.

Haha love that you took my gravy passion as a scolding... it's not "my" gravy it's just what gravy originated from - technically 'jus'.