Nutella is bad food ?

Options

Replies

• WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I found a jar of nutella i'd completely forgotten about, and just plunged my finger right in there and had a fingerful of nutella. it was VERY unhealthy. bordering on just plain rude.

Very unsanitary, to be sure. :laugh:
  • Adirafox
    Adirafox Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Nutella is only bad because once you dip that spoon in you just can't stop!!!! A whole jar of anything is bad for you!

Word.

Nutella is delicious, but it isn't a "health" food, which is why they had to change their ads. You notice they no longer claim Nutella is healthy? They still claim it is made with skim milk (true) and a "hint" of cocoa (my *kitten*!), IMPLYING that it is healthy, but it isn't.

One, it's super chocolaty, and not in a "70% cocoa dark chocolate" sort of way. Two, you can SEE the oil. It's palm oil, which I have heard conflicting things about. However, I've heard people claim it has HFCS, which it does NOT.

I think it is better for you than some things, but if you try to claim it is "good for you" (other than good for the soul!), you are kidding yourself.
  • Adirafox
    Options
    If you think nutella is hard to moderate you should try cookie butter.

The worst thing about cookie butter is trying to figure out what to put it on. Graham crackers? Animal cookies? Am I really putting COOKIE butter on COOKIES???

I literally cannot have Nutella or Biscoff in the house.
  • Adirafox
    Options
    Nutella is mostly palm oil and sugar, so if you define "bad food" as "food with little nutritional value," then yes, it is bad.
    If you would like something a tiny bit healthier, but still delicious and calorie-dense, I really enjoy Peanut Butter &Co. Dark Chocolate Dreams. The flavour profile is similar, but with peanut butter over the palm oil.

LIES!! LIES!! Bald faced LIES!!! That stuff ain't like Nutella at all. :angry:
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    If eating nutella is wrong, I don't want to be right.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Nutella is only bad because once you dip that spoon in you just can't stop!!!! A whole jar of anything is bad for you!

Word.

Nutella is delicious, but it isn't a "health" food, which is why they had to change their ads. You notice they no longer claim Nutella is healthy? They still claim it is made with skim milk (true) and a "hint" of cocoa (my *kitten*!), IMPLYING that it is healthy, but it isn't.

One, it's super chocolaty, and not in a "70% cocoa dark chocolate" sort of way. Two, you can SEE the oil. It's palm oil, which I have heard conflicting things about. However, I've heard people claim it has HFCS, which it does NOT.

I think it is better for you than some things, but if you try to claim it is "good for you" (other than good for the soul!), you are kidding yourself.

There is no such thing as "Health Food." Any claims to be such is just a marketing technique.
  • suramey
    suramey Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I do agree that no food is bad food if eaten in moderation. I love nutella on a graham cracker, it totally satisfies my need for something sweet. The nutella add is so misleading, stating that it is made from hazelnuts and milk, when sugar is the first ingredient. Oh, and sardines on triscuits with a real coke is food of the gods. ;)
  • pixie_pix
    pixie_pix Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Yes, it is full of unhealthy fats, processed sugars, empty calories... name it, it's in there!
    Yes, once you started you can't stop
    Yes, you can use it in various ways, let alone put the spoon into the jar and slurp it like that

This facts make it a bad food cause moderation is hard to maintain with this food...
    We can even buy it in 1000g jars here or bigger, once I've seen a 5000g Jar... baaaaad :noway:

The real bad thing about Nutella is, that NOTHING and I mean NOTHING!!!! in this world is comparable in yumminess to the one and only Nutella...

There is no substitution for the real Nutella. Call it Rawtella or try the creamcheese with chocolate... completely different thing, maybe nice in taste, but not worth to be compared with the one and only thing!

SO: I cut Nutella off my diet with a bleeding heart, but if I cannot have the real one for health's sake, I don't wanna have a substitute!
  • Adirafox
    Options

There is no such thing as "Health Food." Any claims to be such is just a marketing technique.

I define "health food" as any food that has a positive nutritive value for my body. Nutella does not, sadly, though it does make my soul happy.....until my pants are too tight.
  • Herohorse
    Herohorse Posts: 108
    Options
    If you are interested, here is a link for how to make Nutella yourself. You could tweak the nutrition facts for how you would like it, this way :smile:

http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2012/01/09/better-than-nutella/
  • NaomiJFoster
    NaomiJFoster Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    Sure it's full of sugar and oil. So what?

Birthday cake is full of sugar too and has pretty much no nutritional value. Yet, when the occasion to eat birthday cake comes up, you bet I'm going to indulge in a piece and celebrated with that friend. It's a treat. And occasional indulgence.

Nutella is similar, but it actually does have some good qualities to it. And occasional indulgence isn't going to derail anyone's health.

And anyone saying that the chocolate flavor in it is the main thing to love about it is completely missing the point. The stuff is spreadable hazelnut, and that's all that you need to know.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    It's delicious but it has a lot of oil and sugar. So, in moderation!
  • StheK
    StheK Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    nutella = good
  • walterm852
    walterm852 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Nutella is a lovely food! (If used in moderation).
    I unfortunately have an insane desire to eat the entire jar when I open it so none in my house except if I fully intend to eat the entire jar.

Me too!
  • jenn26point2
    jenn26point2 Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Yestarday i eat a bit of nutella, and i think it is healthy food. On the net opinion is divided.
    What's the truth ?

Make your own - macadamia nuts, unsweetened cocoa, and honey to taste.
  • RobynLB83
    RobynLB83 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    It's basically frosting.
  • Vivian06703188
    Vivian06703188 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Someone tell me what is wrong with Sardines other than they are packed in oil? Unhealthy oil probably. Is that it? I don't eat them but I have thought about it. If that is the case I suppose smoked oysters are unhealthy too. I need some feedback on this.
  • RunningRichelle
    RunningRichelle Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Yestarday i eat a bit of nutella, and i think it is healthy food. On the net opinion is divided.
    What's the truth ?

You're going to get a large number of answers, on a wide spectrum, ranging from people telling you it's the best food ever created to people telling you it's poison. It really is your job to research the ingredients and form your own conclusion.

Best Wishes.
  • Melissa22G
    Melissa22G Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    I :heart: Nutella.

It loves me back. If I could wear a suit of Nutella I would be set.
  • shearnerve
    shearnerve Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Nutella. The full (correct) list of ingredients
    on Tuesday, 12 April 2011. Posted in Additives & labels
    Tagged: children, chocolate, fat, food labels, junk food, kids, low GI, nutrition, snacks, sugar, trans fats

Nutella. The full (correct) list of ingredients
    Have you ever tried to find the exact list of ingredients for Nutella online? The identical one that appears on its label - in descending order from the first (largest ingredient by weight) to the last ingredient, as required by food law? Well, you won’t find it! Here’s the hoop-la I went through to discover exactly what the ingredients in Nutella are and why Nutella is not good for your kids.

The spin

You'd think that the official website would give the full listing of Nutella ingredients, as well as the nutrition figures, in exactly the same way most other food manufacturers do these days. For example, take a look at the comprehensive Kellogg or Nestle sites where they detail everything. You may not fancy all their products but they do provide detailed info on each and every product including all ingredients, nutrition panel per 100g or per serve, and possible allergens.

Not so Nutella. Here's all they tell you about what's in their iconic product:

Nutella contains hazelnuts, cocoa powder, skim milk powder, vegetable oil, sugar, soy lecithin and vanillin
    nutella_website_ingredsYes these are the ingredients in Nutella but not in their correct order. Nutella would like you to believe that their product is composed mainly of hazelnuts and cocoa (two healthy-sounding ingredients). So they re-arrange the true order to make a better impression. And leave out the percentage and the correct additive names.

The true list of Nutella

I actually had to purchase a jar of the stuff to find out the truth about the Nutella ingredients. Once you're looking at the back of the label, you quickly see - when forced by food law - what the product really is made from:

Sugar, vegetable oil, hazelnuts (13%), cocoa powder (7.4%), non-fat milk solids, emulsifier (soy lecithin), flavour (vanillin)
    nutella_jar_ingredients

Its list of ingredients is very revealing. On the label, it MUST show them in descending order by weight from the largest down to the smallest.

So now I know that the first (read main) ingredient is sugar (not hazelnuts), followed by “vegetable oil” (not cocoa), then hazelnuts, then cocoa solids, followed by non-fat milk solids, soy lecithin and vanilla flavour.

Conclusion No 1

Nutella is more sugar and fat than hazelnuts - its true content of hazelnuts is low at only 13 per cent. Don’t be fooled by the advertising. Here’s what I’ve unearthed about the ingredients. And it really took a bit of detective work.

Sugar
    Sugar is the first ingredient and thus the main by weight of all the Nutella ingredients. In fact Nutella is 55 per cent sugar! That puts Nutella on a par with chocolate.

Vegetable oil
    The vegetable oil is palm oil, a semi-solid fat that’s needed to give Nutella its spreadable texture. At least this was disclosed on the website (see below). The manufacturer says they were using a hydrogenated oil until a couple of years ago but switched to palm oil to cut back on the trans fat in 2006. Palm oil is free of trans fat but is still high in saturated fat so it’s not good for you. It’s a no-win oil choice that many manufacturers face.

nutella_website_trans_fat

Cocoa
    Cocoa solids (or powder) gives Nutella its chocolatey taste.

Emulsifier
    Soy lecithin – a common emulsifier that keeps the sugar, oil, nuts and cocoa nicely blended and stops them separating out during the months on the shelves. Nothing sinister about it. It’s one of my safe additives (unless you’re allergic to soy)

Flavour (vanillin)
    This is not vanilla or vanilla extract such as you use at home. Vanillin, which is most likely the synthetic form identical to the natural vanillin, but much less expensive is the largest flavour component of the vanilla bean but much less interesting.

Read what Wikipedia says about vanillin here

What’s not present
    At least there’s no artificial colours or preservatives, no corn syrup and no added salt.

Nutrition facts nutella_website_nip
    To fill in the rest of the detail, here’s the part of Nutella nutrition panel from the website which did coincide with the label:

Per 100g

Energy 2175kJ

Protein 7.3g

Fat, total 30.3g

Fat, saturated 10.0g

Carbohydrate, total 54.7g

Sugars 54.4g

Sodium 33 mg

Serve size is 20g which is one tablespoon – what you’d spread thinly on two slices of bread.

Conclusion No 2:

Think of Nutella as chocolate in spreadable form. With 30 per cent fat and almost 55 per cent sugar, Nutella almost mirrors chocolate in its composition. In fact, Nutella is more akin to milk chocolate with hazelnuts for fat, sugar and kilojoules, they're so close. See my comparison of the two weight for weight: Nutella side by side with Cadbury Milk Chocolate with Hazelnuts. nutella jar

Nutella_Cadbuy_Haelnut_Chocolate_1

Nutella
    Hazelnut

chocolate

Energy 2175kJ 2320kJ
    Fat, total 30.3g 37.0g
    Fat, saturated 10.0g 14.6g
    Carb, total 54.7g 45.5g
    Sugars 54.7g 44.4g
    % hazelnuts 13% 23%

Did you notice that the chocolate block has 19% LESS sugar than Nutella and 23% hazelnuts compared to Nutella at only 13%? Less sugar, more nuts!

Conclusion No 3:

Nutella provides very little in the way of good nutrition. Not much protein, fibre, vitamins, minerals – the nutrients we are lacking. We don’t need more sugar and fat.

Any good points? Yes. Nutella is low in sodium as are many sweet foods. And it's a concentrated food that can increase kids' kilojoule intake easily if they're the chronically-underweight type and already eat a well-balanced diet.

4 most-asked questions on Nutella

Q. Is Nutella healthier than peanut butter?

No. Nutella might be sold in the peanut butter aisle, but it isn't a nutritional swap. Peanut butter has more protein, little sugar, healthy fat and vitamins. It’s a decent protein for vegetarians. Most are 85 per cent peanuts (with some oil and sugar) but you can buy 100 per cent peanut types.

Q. Is Nutella healthier than jam?

Not really. Nutella has 54 per cent sugar, jam and honey have around 60 to 70 per cent. But Nutella slaps on 30 per cent fat, while they have none. The nearest equivalent to Nutella on toast is peanut butter topped with honey on toast. Then it’s the same for sugar and fat.

Q. Is the suggested kids breakfast of fruit, Nutella on two slices of toast and low-fat milk a decent breakfast for kids?

Nope. You know it's not the healthiest breakfast to send your kids off the school with. It never has been and never will be. It’s just Nutella on toast “enhanced” to look better by the fruit and milk and white high-fibre bread.

Best bet: If you are going to give the kids the occasional piece of toast with Nutella, don't use butter or margarine and spread it on wholegrain bread rather than low-fibre white bread.

nutella_website_breakfast_comparison

Q. Is Nutella really low GI?

Yes. But so are things like sausages, corn chips and chocolate cake – usually thanks to their fat content which slows down the rate of digestion and absorption in your system (see the GI Website for more info). However, just because something has a low GI doesn’t necessarily make it a healthy choice. Would you give your kids corn chips and chocolate cake for breakfast?

Simply slapping on a “low GI” claim doesn’t make something healthier overall. If you believed the ads, you’d think that chocolatey-hazelnut spread was the health food of a nation and the perfect breakfast toast topper. It ain’t!

The bottom line

Why try to make out something is healthy when it’s not? And clearly not, when you look at the true list of Nutella ingredients. Just accept Nutella for the chocolatey treat it is! Have it on toast, croissant or crepes. It’s a good case of clever marketing that highlights the few positives — and says nothing about the bad things.

Nutella in the news

UK consumer watchdog Which? has hit out at an Advertising Standards Authority adjudication that rejected 31 complaints about a television advert for Nutella hazlenut spread. Which? complained about the advert on the basis that, firstly, it was misleading because it did not make clear that Nutella also contained a high proportion of sugar (55%) and fat. Secondly, the consumer watchdog said the advert was was likely to encourage poor nutritional habits or an unhealthy lifestyle, especially in children. Read more.

Pin It
    Related Articles

Product review: Light chocolate – can it help you shed weight?
    Product review: Light chocolate – can it help you shed weight?

Sugar - are you sweet enough?
    Sugar - are you sweet enough?

%DI Labelling - what does it mean?
    %DI Labelling - what does it mean?

Dark chocolate - health food or guiltless treat?
    Dark chocolate - health food or guiltless treat?

How to check an Ingredient List
    How to check an Ingredient List

Comments (3)

Angela Irvine
    Angela Irvine
    09 June 2013 at 19:42 | #
    Thank you! I will be checking out your site next time I am in doubt about clever marketed products!
    Lana
    Lana
    27 June 2013 at 13:55 | #
    I heard from someone who worked in the Nutella factory that all it is, is ground up ferrero rocher chocolates!
    Lisa Willard
    Lisa Willard
    30 June 2013 at 23:46 | #
    Where does the palm oil come from? If its not from a sustainable source then its use is causing deforestation in Indonesia, Malaysia & possibly West Africa. Its use is taking away the habits of orangutans & other vulnerable species. Say No To Palm Oil!
    Leave a comment

You are commenting as guest. Optional login below.
    Facebook Twitter

Why mushrooms are so healthy for you
    Ancient Grains
    Food and Nutrition Companion
    Buy the book now

foodwatch newsletter logo square

Recent Articles

A day’s eating plan to lower your cholesterol
    How healthy is coconut water – really?
    Product review: Four Coconut Waters side by side
    Q. Are fish oil capsules safe if I'm allergic to fish? If not, how do I get omega-3s?
    EatKit Archive: DAIRY FOR BONE HEALTH
    Q. Which foods should someone with coeliac disease avoid?
    Q: What is Hi-oleic sunflower oil?
    Women's Health Week 2-6 Sept

JD002 Button Ambassador
    whoiscath smWho is Catherine Saxelby?
    Accredited nutritionist, media commentator, blogger and author. Passionate about making healthy eating easy for busy women. Learn more about Catherine
    Australian Women Bloggers Directory Top 100

Australian Women Bloggers Directory by Blog Chicks

Catherine's Instagram Pics

Vending machines. Manning. USydney. #studentlife #sweetdrinks #fastfooDigging deeper. #hemp #alternativeingredients #chia #mousseTop layer of chia-avo-banana-agave-coconut mousse.Trust #AboutLife to have a new mousse dessert made w hemp oil. Also baTucking into a quick lunch of canned sardine on rye bread. Must have lIrish soda bread with home-made spicy plum jam. Market finds today at At Marrickville Mrkts. Place is buzzing, huge queues, great veges. #faFriday night nibbles. But no wine. #dryJuly. Still going.Inspired by Ottolenghi. Sweet potato wedges. As seen in his book PlentGood to find the No-added-salt canned things. Or is it just me? #youkn

Read more: http://foodwatch.com.au/blog/additives-and-labels/item/nutella-the-full-correct-list-of-ingredients.html#ixzz2adBCZy7o