Black Beans!

Options
I swear I could eat them everyday. They are delicious and keep me full for awhile. Looking back in life I wish I knew how great they were.

Replies

• r_balogh
    r_balogh Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    if you really want to add a little something to them add a cup of cooked brown rice, can of diced tomatoes, some onions, green peppers and garlic and you've got a power house whole grain high protein meal that rests in your stomach like a rock. Its a staple in my house.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    We have crunchy black bean tacos with an avocado dressing at least once a week.

My kids even love it.
  • lorenzovonmatterhorn7549
    Options

My kids even love it.
    Do you have a recipe?
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    i do eat them every day, they are so so good for you, i put them in everything.
  • sharonfoustmills
    sharonfoustmills Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    me too! I love all beans.
  • Pelly57
    Pelly57 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I like to cook them with chicken broth (bouillon if thats all thats handy) and serve them under grilled chicken and diced tomatoes. Yumm.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options

My kids even love it.
    Do you have a recipe?

I do!

Came from Pinterest, where I have not had much luck with recipes, but these two were phenomenal:

http://foodpinsnow.com/?p=130
    http://www.endlesssimmer.com/2012/04/04/cornerstone-cooking-crunchy-black-bean-tacos/#more-33746
  • CapnGordo
    CapnGordo Posts: 327
    Options
    Diced onion, tomato and cilantro, along with some of the broth they cooked in = DAMN!
  • norahwynn
    norahwynn Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    Do you all cook your black beans from scratch, or do you use canned? If you use canned, can you recommend a brand? Thanks!
  • Pearsquared
    Pearsquared Posts: 1,656 Member
    Options
    Black beans are amazing. I can eat them right out of the can (or Tupperware, if I had to cook them myself)!
  • Leaping_Lemur
    Leaping_Lemur Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Add some steamed yams, salsa, cooked corn (scraped fresh from the cob if you've got it) and cheese for a one-dish meal that can't be beat.

I haven't had this in a while, actually. I know what lunch will be tomorrow!
  • JRSchumaker
    JRSchumaker Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Do you all cook your black beans from scratch, or do you use canned? If you use canned, can you recommend a brand? Thanks!

I was using canned. If you have a Wegman's available to shop in, their canned black beans are very tasty.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    if you really want to add a little something to them add a cup of cooked brown rice, can of diced tomatoes, some onions, green peppers and garlic and you've got a power house whole grain high protein meal that rests in your stomach like a rock. Its a staple in my house.

I like to use the rotel tomatoes - spicy! I also use Bulgar rather than brown rice, but the taste is very similar.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    I use canned but the smell horrible!

I love black beans and salsa on corn tortilla chips. :bigsmile:
  • littlesprite11
    littlesprite11 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Can you use it as a salad dressing?
  • CapnGordo
    CapnGordo Posts: 327
    Options
    Canned are crap taste-wise, compared to home-cooked. Put them in a slow cooker with plenty of water and a bit of salt, and you're good to go. Freeze the extra.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Can you use it as a salad dressing?

Just... black beans???

I'm confused.
  • capnrus789
    capnrus789 Posts: 2,731 Member
    Options
    My wife is from Cuba. Black beans and white rice are a staple around my house. I know her recipe, but I suck at it. I think she's conveniently forgotten to tell me something crucial.

Black bean, white rice, and fried steak. Dinner of champions.
  • MissingMyOldSelf
    MissingMyOldSelf Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    Skinnytaste fiesta lime rice is my favorite recipe to use my leftover black beans up!
  • jeqrosen
    jeqrosen Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    bump