A gastric band company to me put weight ON!

Options

Replies

• rosiecbolton
    rosiecbolton Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately psychological help is almost impossible in the UK unless you pay private (which I am considering doing). I have gone through this with bipolar and had to be admitted into a psychiatric intensive care before I was deemed to be ill enough to access the therapy.
  • krystlestar00
    krystlestar00 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I'm a binge eater too although not as severe as my binges would only last a trip to the drive thru. i've learned that for me i cant buy and i don't buy foods that i binge with. i keep them out of my house. i still struggle with wanting to binge daily but with only healthy foods around my house its less tempting, i don't want to binge on broccoli, green beans, or rice that takes 30 minutes to cook. i think you should really seek some help for your binge eating. also, finding an alternative when you want to binge will help too, such as going on a walk or even just writing down what you are feeling may help the urge to subside to a manageable level.
  • sharonfoustmills
    sharonfoustmills Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    It is really difficult for me because I have NEVER had a healthy relationship with food. From an early age my mum called me a fat cow leading me to be anorexic for years. Suddenly the anorexia stopped and the bingeing started. I really need psychological help. Am thinking of going to overeaters anonymous.

OvereatersAnon might help, support is always a good thing. I suggest you seek counseling because eating disorders are very treatable in counseling.

You need to look inside yourself and figure out what it is you are trying to satisfy by over-eating. What purpose is food and/ or extra weight serving?
  • rosiecbolton
    Options
    Unfortunately it is impossible to not have alcoholic foods in the house as husband loves his cake!
  • harms97
    harms97 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Alcoholic cake??
  • rumplesnat
    rumplesnat Posts: 372
    Options
    OK I reread the op and have something else:
    WLS is NOT for people with binge eating disorders!!! You could burst your stomach open or make your GB move (one of the complications...).
    I'm no doctor but I'd suggest a psychiatrist before WLS

I'm not a doctor, either, but I am a WLS patient and I TOTALLY agree with this. If you are a binge/emotional eater, WLS isn't going to fix the problem. I know this for sure and for certain and live with it every day. WLS is not a forever fix if you're not prepared to make forever changes.
  • rosiecbolton
    Options
    Alcoholic cake??

alcoholic foods are foods you cannot control. for example if I start an entire trifle or cake i end up eating the lot.
  • VioletNightshade
    Options
    Weight loss is supposed to be slow if it's going to be permanent, and yo-yoing is worse than just strictly being overweight.

I have to agree with the band company and say you don't need a band. If anything, until you can control your binging, you shouldn't have the surgeries anyway. If you have the band and you continue to binge, it could push you into bulimia or cause complications with the band, making it slip or stretch the top part of your stomach out even more, which is counterproductive to the entire idea of the surgery.

It sounds like your problem isn't one that would be solved by surgery, but maybe therapy (which you said is difficult to obtain), and telling your family that it's time to get healthy, and that if your husband wants alcohol and cake and whatnot, that he'll have to eat them when he's out with his friends because right now you're trying to make choices that will make you and them healthier, and you need to not be exposing yourself to that type of food if you cannot handle being around it and not eating it.

I've heard a lot of people get told to write a diary when they're trying to stop binge eating. Perhaps try writing a diary before, during and after you binge that you write what you're thinking and feeling in those times so you can examine it and work on changing those thoughts instead of going further down a path of self-destruction or trying to get someone else to give you something that will attempt to make decisions for you.

difficult =/= impossible
  • xxmarysmxx
    xxmarysmxx Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    It is really difficult for me because I have NEVER had a healthy relationship with food. From an early age my mum called me a fat cow leading me to be anorexic for years. Suddenly the anorexia stopped and the bingeing started. I really need psychological help. Am thinking of going to overeaters anonymous.

Please be careful. WLS is not the answer and can't believe they will just book you an appt. You should be required to have consultation.
  • needles85365
    needles85365 Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    You will continue to binge eat with the GB. You need to find out why your binging and fix that problem. Having surgery isn't going to fix the emotions and stress that are causing your binging.
  • 9jenn9
    9jenn9 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Working with a ED therapist would be best and OA is a good route too. if you really can't swing therapy financially, another book to consider is "Intuitive Eating". It's by two dietitians who specialize in eating disorders. I found it very useful and practical. Good luck. Also, could you ask your husband to bring his "alcoholic foods" in by the serving, rather than a whole cake, etc. If you're struggling this hard, it would be really supportive for him to make the adjustment.
  • CrazyTrackLady
    CrazyTrackLady Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options

Please spend that money on a therapist who specializes in eating disorders. That's your first step. And, I bet they are turning you down because your history of binge eating would most likely kill you if you had an episode after surgery. No doctor will put his or her medical license on the line based on your history. You are asking a doctor to perform an unethical operation.
  • totalsham
    totalsham Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I am desperate to stop bingeing and lose weight. I am losing weight with MFP but very slowly. I lose for 2 or 3 days then go on 2 day long binges. It is really getting me down.

people binge on the GB with severe consequences. maybe learn some will power and self control before taking overly drastic measures.
  • CrazyTrackLady
    CrazyTrackLady Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately psychological help is almost impossible in the UK unless you pay private (which I am considering doing). I have gone through this with bipolar and had to be admitted into a psychiatric intensive care before I was deemed to be ill enough to access the therapy.

So, the recap here is:

You were a drug addict
    You are a binge eater
    You are bi-polar

And you think WLS surgery is going to solve all your issues.

WLS is the last thing you should be thinking about right now. You have much more to deal with, and the best gift you can give yourself is a healthy mind. The rest will fall into place.
  • totalsham
    totalsham Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Alcoholic cake??

alcoholic foods are foods you cannot control. for example if I start an entire trifle or cake i end up eating the lot.

maybe have zero cake?
  • angelams1019
    angelams1019 Posts: 1,102 Member
    Options
    GB isn't going to make you stop binging. What it will do is make you INCREDIBLY sick and possibly put your life at risk when you DO binge....because you will continue that behavior until you figure out why it is you're doing it and how to stop it.

I would suggest therapy.
  • determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    The NHS does have specific eating disorder clinics, you should contact them.

http://www.nhs.uk/LiveWell/Eatingdisorders/Pages/eatingdisordershomepage.aspx

There is a lot of support available via the NHS, don't give up.
  • east2west14
    east2west14 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    OK I reread the op and have something else:
    WLS is NOT for people with binge eating disorders!!! You could burst your stomach open or make your GB move (one of the complications...).
    I'm no doctor but I'd suggest a psychiatrist before WLS

Psychiatrist? They are the worst offenders. Please seek a therapist that is not too main-stream and will not recommend ridiculous medications and give you ridiculous diagnosis. You do not have a disease you just have an overeating issue and you need to recognize that it is your fault, you put food in your mouth nobody forced it down your throat. You have proven to yourself with your 16pounds weight loss that this is not a disease and it a matter or control. The sooner you stop blaming your eating habits on a "disease" the better.

With that said, I You do not need GP.
  • Lauren8239
    Lauren8239 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    If you are for real, you shouldn't take wanting a band so lightly. It's awful major surgery. 4 years ago a friend of mine had one done and she died the next day from infection. Seriously, you need other help, not a band
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Alcoholic cake??

maybe have zero cake?

This.

Ask him to have his cake at work or elsewhere outside of the house. If he's known you for any length of time, he'll understand that this isn't just you being picky, but that it's for the sake of your health.