I quit cigarettes today.......

Options
And it is not as hard as I thought it would be. However, I'm not going to let this first day give an impression of the days to come. I know I'm going to have awful days, and great days.

I just quit cold turkey. They're too damn expensive.

Any ex smokers?

Or even current smokers?

I know they say, "no one judges a smoker worse than an ex smoker", but that's not me. I'm not judgemental unless I'm judged myself.

Feel free to add me!

Replies

• crystalflame
    crystalflame Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    I've never smoked, but just want to say way to go and good luck!!!
  • recoveryjunky
    recoveryjunky Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Pretty much everyone in my family has smoked at one time or another. I've seen how hard it is to quit. Wishing you all of the luck in the world!
  • frenchfacey
    frenchfacey Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Hey! I quit smoking. About a year ago.

I quit cold turkey and in the last year I've had less than a pack of cigarettes.

I lost almost 50 lbs since I quit....

Good luck on your journey.
    You can do it.
  • lewandt
    lewandt Posts: 566
    Options
    I quit a couple of years ago....best thing ever, wish i had done it sooner.

I used the patch, it really helped to take the edge off. My doctor said to use as many things as needed to help quit.

You can do it! One day at a time!
  • Peachy1962
    Peachy1962 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Congrats!!! I am a Quitter of 2 years now!! Breath so much better and my house smells so much cleaner!!

as time goes on you will be able to smell that stale smoke on other ppl and in their homes!!! Like being around an Old Astray!! YUCKO!!
  • calx77
    calx77 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I quit two weeks ago. It's been easier for me though because I'm puffing on an E-cig. When my 12mg fluid runs out, I'll buy 6mg fluid, then hopefully I will quit the E-cig too.

I also quit because it just seems like a waste of money. In fact I felt like I was paying for an early death. Makes no sense.

Good luck!
  • _DreDay_
    _DreDay_ Posts: 40
    Options
    Nope! But keep at it!! That is awesome! :heart:
  • tegeos
    tegeos Posts: 20
    Options
    I have struggled with nicotine addiction in one form or another for many years. Currently free of that nasty drug. This will be the best decision of your life. Feel free to add me if you need motivation or someone to vent to about the withdrawal. I have heard that nicotine addiction is just as strong as that to opiates. Good luck!!!
  • kmm7309
    kmm7309 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking cold turkey on December 10th, 2012. Pretty recently, in the grand scheme of things. It was all so silly. I was on the phone with my husband (who is 17 years my elder). I was smoking a cigarette (averaging over a pack a day at that point). I told him that he needed to quit smoking because he was already going to die before me, and he didn't need to push the envelope (in a joking way). He said, "I'll quit when you quit."

I put out that cigarette and didn't light another one (during a particularly difficult finals week). When I got home I threw the pack at him and said "I'm done!". I haven't smoked another since.

It was a great thing for me! The hardest part was not the physical withdrawal, but it was the change of habits. Whenever I got in the car, I would reach in my console for a cigarette, up to a month after I quit. It was hard to retrain.

My husband is slowly quitting with the help of Wellbutrin. He has cut from a pack a day to 5-8 cigs a day. It works.
  • eireannyoung
    eireannyoung Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Great going!! I quit cigarettes five and a half weeks ago. I would just say, be prepared, and have some good alternatives to smoking on hand (like hard exercise, chewing licorice sticks, etc.) because in my experience the first day can be easier than some of the days to come. For me, personally, weeks two and three were a lot harder than week one, but week four was just fine. Strangely, I actually lost my appetite while quitting this second time, though the first time I craved sugar a lot. Now I'm mostly just dealing with some headaches and fatigue, but the irritability is much less, thank goodness. It definitely gets easier, but sometimes it comes in waves, so it's not always helpful to look at an average timetable of withdrawal symptoms... everyone is different.
  • marciebrian
    marciebrian Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    Congratulations and yes I am an ex smoker quit cold turkey 4 years ago and never looked back. Guess I was just ready cuz I never missed it even for a minute. I'm going to send you a FR and if you ever need anti-smoking support I'll be here ;=)
  • kassia1687
    kassia1687 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking when I became pregnant with my first son...then I started back up (half-heartedly, only when others were smoking) then quit once and for all once I got pregnant with my second son. Obviously, having a baby growing inside you, depending upon your health to create them is a pretty good motivator to quit cold turkey. My husband was unable to quit with me, he just didn't have the same driving force. He recently had a scare-started waking up gasping for breath, and it freaked him out. It turns out it was sleep apnea (which I've been telling him about for years now) but it really hit him that his smoking could lead to things like cancer and heart disease etc. So he decided he was seriously going to quit. So I went out and bought him a liquid vapor smoking device. It contains nicotine but cuts all the smoke & crap out of it. It has helped him to wean himself off of cigarettes and cut back on his smoking significantly, and he has started to realize how much of the smoking really was just habit. If you find yourself really struggling with it, try vaping.
    Additionally, I would stay away from places and people that smoke for a while. The temptation is always worse when you're at the bar or a friends and there is smoking going on. I've heard that the actually addition is gone after a month, everything after that is merely habit. So try to find some new, healthy habit to replace smoking. For example, I would go for walks instead of smoke breaks at work, and I'd chew sunflower seeds in the car instead of smoking. If you really want it, you'll succeed! Just believe in yourself and don't make excuses!
  • britt25tex
    britt25tex Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Way to go! I haven't had a REAL ciggarette in 10 days but I am using an ECIGG. I had a smoker in line behind me at the store yesterday. You definitely DON'T realize the smell until you don't smoke.
    You can do it!

Cold turkey is definitely impressive!
  • conniedj
    conniedj Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Non-smoker saying CONGRATS!!!!! to a new non-smoker!
  • ZombieSlayer
    ZombieSlayer Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!

QuitNet.com is an awesome support system. 10 months smoke free and I still lean on it.
  • TelleyRobyn
    Options
    Good luck! I'm not the greatest example i quit for pregnancy and was quit for one year. then i crashed started having craving from being around it and i've been smoking again for one month. BE STRONG ! i I want to quit again but am scared of the withdrawls and eating outta stress. plus i got super bad anxiety that doesnt help
  • mrsleonard12
    mrsleonard12 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    hey i am not a smoker but i just wanted to congratulate you and all others that quit. i think it takes a lot to break a habit like that. major props :) feel free to add me
  • LaserOctopus
    LaserOctopus Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    It's tough but soooooooo worth it. I quit cold turkey about eight-ish? years ago. It was HARD. The first few days were OK, but at about a week, the withdrawal kicked in. What kept me going is how hard that first really bad day was. Because each subsequent bad day was not as bad as the previous bad day. It got easier and easier all the time, and I NEVER wanted to experience those early bad days ever again...

You may find weird food cravings as your body adapts to the change, I certainly did. I also had weird energy spikes, I couldn't sleep for days, and then for a day or two *all* I wanted to do was sleep.

I had to change some habits. For example, I had the same routine every morning, and I had to start mixing up the order of shower, breakfast, et cetera, so that the morning smoke wasn't just a blank part of my sequence. I carried books and later a handheld gaming device to keep myself from smoking at the train station waiting for the train. For a few weeks, I spent less time with my smoking friends.

And, of course, I warned *everybody* around me that I was quitting. This helped *them* when I had the inevitable moodiness (which wasn't as bad as I had been told it would be, but wasn't fun, either), and helped *me* because even people at the train stop would ask me how it was going, so I couldn't mess it up without looking silly. :laugh:

So, keep at it, it's worth it, and you CAN do it!
    Good luck!
  • UhohDanny
    UhohDanny Posts: 32
    Options
    I smoked for about 14 years and quit about a year and half ago. It certainly gets tough, especially when you hit a trigger (for me it was drinking). I ended up using the patch, but I've been going stong ever since.
  • Nathaniel1990
    Options
    Hey, everyone thanks for the responses!

As for the girl who said that she's afraid of stress eating, I was too.
    However, I decided to not let stress cause me to eat.
    Whenever I have a craving for a cigarette I just go skateboarding, or do something else active. It's a pretty good way of keeping your mind off of it.

I have probably worked out 20 times today lol