Husbands

Options
cloveraz
cloveraz Posts: 332 Member
After about an eight month plateau, I have begun the transition into primal eating and exercising. I have been working really hard to stay primal, but my husband puts up a big fuss about the cost of buying locally based meats and eggs. I am even thinking of giving up my gym membership, just so I don't have to hear about it anymore. Ever since I started this journey a couple of years ago, I truly found something that I take great pride in, my health and fitness, it just seems that he is my biggest obstacle at times. I have tried to convince him to change his eating habits, but he is all about the junk and sodium. The man doesn't even like fruits or veggies, heck he doesn't even like pasta, even though I don't eat pasta myself. So, how does one try to make their spouse happy without loosing something you truly are passionate about and love?

Replies

• ritchiedrama
    ritchiedrama Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options
    come to a compromise (dont buy locally based eggs and meats?)
  • bennysammysofie
    Options
    Buy a few hens and get your own eggs daily! They're the best!!!!
  • cloveraz
    Options
    come to a compromise (dont buy locally based eggs and meats?)

true
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,026 Member
    Options
    Yeah, no one ever got healthy not eating locally raised meat and eggs.
  • JessicaBR13
    JessicaBR13 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Buy your own meat and eggs?
  • cloveraz
    Options
    I do, just trying to not make him upset when I come home from the organic store....
  • AJ_Muffin
    AJ_Muffin Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Sell your hubby and buy a cow and hen ;)
  • sstan03
    sstan03 Posts: 102
    Options
    You need to do what you feel is right for you. I have to be very careful on what i eat as it seems that i can gain weight just by looking at food. My wife, on the other hand, eats whatever she wants and never seems to gain an ounce. I try to eat paleo/primal but get sidetracked with the pasta's and other stuff she enjoys eating. If you look, you can usually find a local store that will sell meat that you can feel good eating and may even save you some money. I would also consider a co-op, where you can go in with others and get better prices on the meat and eggs. Remember, you can not change him. He has to want to change. Try to work out something you both can agree on. I would also advise against giving up your gym membership unless you are able to workout at home and have the motivation to do it.
    Just my thoughts. Good luck.
  • cloveraz
    Options

fair enough.... With the whole primal thing, I just wanted to stay away from the grain fed and hormone injection in animals....
    But, I see what everyone is saying...
  • whierd
    Options

fair enough.... With the whole primal thing, I just wanted to stay away from the grain fed and hormone injection in animals....

Treating an eating philosophy as a religion, especially when it really isn't necessary, and harming your marriage is not a great idea. Just something to think about.
  • itsscottwilder
    Options
    Sounds like your hubby is really focusing on the cost of specialty foods and gym memberships.

Maybe try to find a cheaper gym or ymca?
  • JessicaBR13
    Options
    I do, just trying to not make him upset when I come home from the organic store....

Then he shouldn't have a say in what you buy with your hard earned money. You keep doing what you feel is right for you. Also, congrats on your 101lbs lost! Wow!
  • itsscottwilder
    Options
    Maybe tell your husband to stop acting like turd and be thankful for the smoking hot wife he has.
  • HeadsPoppingOutOfCups
    Options
    It's your money and you're helping yourself and the environment, I say good for you. Sounds like he is just being bossy for tne heck of it. Unless you're near bankruptcy he shouldn't be such a tightwad on what is important to you.
  • benol1
    benol1 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    cloveraz

I am beginning to feel your pain. Its been less than a week that I have adopted a vegan diet. A couple of nights this week I have prepared tasty vegan meals. One was an asian stir-fry with brown rice and last night we had vegan chilli beans with corn chips. The other nights I have been cooking what my kids like to eat and I have been eating the left-over vegan dinners from the night before.
    This morning for breakfast I prepared for my wife traditional oats rather than the 90-second microwave variety that she is used to. The poor thing couldn't cope.
    I just don't get the negativity.
    I hope it works out for you and your husband.
    kind regards,

Ben
  • itsscottwilder
    Options
    I think it's the whole. it was good enough for my parents, and it was good enough for me growing up thing.

Well guess what, times change and our understanding of nutrition has gotten better.

Funny how the people closest to you can be the most toxic
  • whierd
    Options

Then he shouldn't have a say in what you buy with your hard earned money. You keep doing what you feel is right for you. Also, congrats on your 101lbs lost! Wow!

It isn't "her" hard earned money it is "their" hard earned money.
  • JessicaBR13
    Options

It depends on if their fiances are combined. If it is "her" own money and if she doesn't tell "him" what to do with his money. Not all marriages have combined finances, it's 2013.
  • whierd
    Options

It depends on if their fiances are combined. If it is "her" own money and if she doesn't tell "him" what to do with his money. Not all marriages have combined finances, it's 2013.

Yeah, because combining finances is an antiquated concept.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options

Treating an eating philosophy as a religion, especially when it really isn't necessary, and harming your marriage is not a great idea. Just something to think about.

^ This. x 1,000,000